News 2018 Epcot International Festival of the Holidays

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Epcot's tree went up the other night.

DSC08886-1.jpg

ToTBellHop

Yes it is just you, as always, with your incessant complaints about everything. It looks lovely and way better than the hideous tree standing in the Magic Kingdom.
The MK tree DESPERATELY needs replacing. It is ancient and there are some wonderful Christmas trees at the other Magic Kingdoms. SURELY it will get redone in 2019. I think they've done a wonderful job with the Christmas look at DHS, which used to be quite weak (especially the tree placement) and I think Epcot looks fine (with the entry plaza horticulture better some years than others), but Main Street in the Magic Kingdom needs a complete do-over. Not just the tree but also those sloppily, hastily completed tumors on the sides of the buildings (with the plugs exposed!). Shameful. MVMCP ticket sales should easily pay for annual updates to decorations there. At this point, I prefer Halloween in the MK.

Po'Rich

LOL...after reading all these comments about the Candlelight Procession ( something I never witnessed or knew about ) I think we will skip it. Stupid me thought it was an actual Procession of singers who held up candles and walked all around Epcot. ROFL. I had no idea it was an "inside" thing that you had to stand in line to get in for viewing. No thanks! There's enough waiting in lines for the rides let alone to listen to music. We are going to the Magic Kingdom Christmas Party so I think we will get our fill of Christmas there.
You are correct that there's a line, and it can be tough to view if you don't purchase it with a dinner package. You are also correct that there's plenty of Christmas throughout the park. Yet, the Candelight Processional was the pinnacle of our visit. I remember when I took my dad (who was sick with shingles, we later found out, and was not really enjoying the Christmas crowds at all). When we watched the Candlelight Processional, he turned to me and said that this made it all worthwhile.

Truk777

Is it me? or is that tree just plain ugly...Completely inelegant and industrial looking...
THey can do better....and should.

I have to agree with you. It just looks blah to me. I probably used to like this "perfect" look, but now it just looks contrived to me.

JohnD

Yes it is just you, as always, with your incessant complaints about everything. It looks lovely and way better than the hideous tree standing in the Magic Kingdom.

You should "listen" to yourself. Complaining about someone else's complaining while complaining about something else.

peter11435

It just looks a little too cartoony and lacking the style and finish it had years ago... not leaning though is a wonderful thing. I agree with that!
How many years ago are we talking?

It’s basically the same decor package the tree has had for nearly 20 years. The noticeable changes are the addition of garland, flags on the ornaments, and changing the earth globes from gold to blue/green.

Figment82

The tree looked a lot better when it had a more elaborate base/stage for the tree lighting show. Still miss that a lot - it was such a cute little extra bit of entertainment. Not quite the awesome spectacle that was Lights of Winter (😭), but nice nonetheless.

Actually, the tree would look better if all the lights worked. It seems like there’s always a section that’s completely out or dimmer than the rest. On Sunday I noticed there was already a section that didn’t seem as bright.

Bocabear

How many years ago are we talking?

It’s basically the same decor package the tree has had for nearly 20 years. The noticeable changes are the addition of garland, flags on the ornaments, and changing the earth globes from gold to blue/green.
I think it is just that the color scheme was simpler....White and Gold with a smattering of Red... The Globes were gold there were lots of white doves... and more ornaments. The gold garland was not there... It just felt more majestic......and of course, the Lights Of Winter were right next to it creating a perfectly framed view and a real WOW moment.

Thomas_M

Hello Everyone,

Is there site that displays performance times that happen at each pavilion during the festival of holidays such as the carolling at the American pavilion? Unless it's not necessary as they happen every 30 mins.

hpyhnt 1000

Is it me? or is that tree just plain ugly...Completely inelegant and industrial looking...
THey can do better....and should.

I wouldn't call it "ugly" but it is rather plasticky and plain looking. There just aren't enough ornaments, and most of the existing ones look like boat buoys.

This tree stands at the entrance to World Showcase; it could be covered with trinkets and baubles from around the world. Things like Oaxacan wood carvings from Mexico, cuckoo clocks from Germany, tea kettles from the UK, ornaments of famous landmarks - a tree full of detail and whimsy. Or go all in on a peace theme, with doves, cranes, poppies and laurels, and a color scheme of white and silver and gold - classy and elegant.

In general, the holiday decor at Epcot has improved in recent years after the nadir following the destruction of the Lights of Winter. But the tree has been and continues to be a glaring weak point.

Bocabear

I wouldn't call it "ugly" but it is rather plasticky and plain looking. There just aren't enough ornaments, and most of the existing ones look like boat buoys.

This tree stands at the entrance to World Showcase; it could be covered with trinkets and baubles from around the world. Things like Oaxacan wood carvings from Mexico, cuckoo clocks from Germany, tea kettles from the UK, ornaments of famous landmarks - a tree full of detail and whimsy. Or go all in on a peace theme, with doves, cranes, poppies and laurels, and a color scheme of white and silver and gold - classy and elegant.

In general, the holiday decor at Epcot has improved in recent years after the nadir following the destruction of the Lights of Winter. But the tree has been and continues to be a glaring weak point.
I love that idea! Or even take it a step further and do representational pieces from each country as you said, but make everything white.. a-la Small World.. On the hour the tree bursts into color and the cultural icons animate... and do a quick 5 minute show sequence, and then back to all white.
That was what I was originally planning for Gaylord Palms, but the concept kind of morphed into a longer show sequence and more color on the tree during the non-show hours. Keeping it all white except for the show sequences creates a WOW moment.. Makes it feel more magical... I would LOVE to do one of those for Disney...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom