Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

WOW! This was an excellent experience!! You two must have been on Cloud 9 for a few days following that great tour. :) So glad that you took quite a few pictures, to share with us. :happy:

(P.S.: Count me in as a fan of the original Parent Trap, with Hayley Mills!)
Yes, me too. The newer one, not so much. I actually also read the book the movie was based on when I was a kid. It was by a German author, Erich Kastner called Lottie and Lisa. His books were actually banned by the Nazis. You can actually still get it on Amazon.

MySmallWorldof4

Thursday June 20, 2019

More pictures on the King's Canyon scenic by-way. By this point we'd made our way down to the valley floor and now we got a good look at the rushing river. We stopped at one point to admire its beauty and power, it definitely wasn't safe for swimming. We did see a few people fishing from the banks, and in our opinion were a little too close to the water rushing past.

View attachment 395804

View attachment 395805

View attachment 395806

View attachment 395807

View attachment 395808

This is where we stopped at one point admire the view. It was at a campsite that wasn't being used. If I was into camping it would have been a prime spot right by the river. It would be a nice view to wake up to in the morning.
View attachment 395809

View attachment 395810

View attachment 395811

View attachment 395812

This folks was the end of the road. Time to turn around and head back, we weren't hiking into the wilderness for the night.
View attachment 395813
I went to Sequoia Nat Park with my parents back 31 years ago! It was an amazing place. You got some beautiful pictures!

MySmallWorldof4

Monday June 24, 2019 Palm Springs

The tour was shortly after noon and we were dropped off in the IHOP parking lot. So we went to lunch at a place called Lulu's. It was a very modern looking restaurant, the decor was just fun. They offered a lunch prix-fixe menu. We both got the Caesar salad. I had chicken alfredo and a chocolate mousse type cake. B got meatloaf and a scoop of ice cream. The food was delicious!
View attachment 397615

View attachment 397605

View attachment 397606

View attachment 397607

View attachment 397608

View attachment 397609

After lunch we headed to the Palm Springs tram and on the way we passed the Palm Springs welcome center. It totally reminded us of something from the Incredibles and when we went back to DCA a few days later and saw the "new" Incredicoaster load area all we could see was this building.
View attachment 397610

I had pre-bought our tram tickets a few weeks ago so we didn't have to wait in the long line and soon we were on our way. The floor of the tram rotates which is cool. We didn't get a spot next to the window and actually I was next to a couple that thought I was something to lean on when the tram swung (as it passed posts). It was super annoying that they used me for support. It was an interesting ride and soon we were at the top.
View attachment 397611

View of Palm Springs
View attachment 397612

View attachment 397613

Coming up: More from the top, a "wild" night out in Palm Springs, and return to Disneyland
That last picture. Oh my gosh!!!

MySmallWorldof4

Saturday June 29, 2019

We had one last attraction, Buzz, and Brad was super happy with his score. Then it was time to head to the airport, boo!

View attachment 399249

View attachment 399248

But we are off for our final trip to the land for Disneyland and D23 Expo. That's why I rushed today and yesterday to finish up this leg of the report.

See ya real soon!
Yes! I finished reading about the past. Ready for the final installment!:)

fractal

Tuesday June 25, 2019......Our Anniversary. 14 years of marital bliss? ;)

We left Palm Springs early, super early, it was about 4:15am. I think I scared the poor desk clerk at the BW when I went to check out. It was about a 2 hour drive and a week day so we knew we would be encountered some rush hour traffic. Our goal was to get to California Adventure by park open.

We had one problem though....LaToya the Toyota. We were returning her at an Avis location near Disneyland had to return it by 5:30 pm, we had our luggage our room wouldn't be read this early, and we had a dinner reservation at 5:15 pm....

Option One: was to park one of the Disneyland lots (we have an annual pass so parking is included), go to the parks, then leave mid-afternoon drop off our bags at the hotel, then return the car and walk back (only 10 minutes from our hotel) to the hotel.

Option Two: Try to check into our hotel early or at least ask if we could store the bags for the day, return the car, and walk to Disneyland

We went with Option Two. Of course our room wasn't ready but I did a pre-check in and they were super nice about storing our bags. I even started with saying, "I know our room isn't available yet", so that they weren't thinking I was demanding a room. Then we drove over to the Avis car rental. It was 7:20 am and we had about 10 minutes to wait until it did open. The driveway to the car rental could only fit about 2 cars and we luckily were the first ones there.

While we were waiting to return the car I made a reservation for the afternoon at Oga's Canteen. It seemed like an appropriate thing to do on our anniversary. The car rental guy actually opened the place a couple minutes early. We waved goodbye to LaToya and walked about 10-12 minutes over to the Disneyland Esplanade. We entered California Adventure at about 7:50 am!

Our first stop was at Guest Relations for Anniversary buttons. As we were walking out of Guest Relations I put my finger through the writing on the button and smudged it. When I showed Brad he suggested getting another, there was no line, as we turned around I think the cm knew what we needed because she grabbed another button and started writing a new one! I didn't smudge my second one.
View attachment 397882

We headed to our first ride of Soarin' and got in line right before 8am. The line wasn't long but we still waited about 20 minutes! That was a little frustrating at park open. After that we headed to Guardians and I rode once without Brad and then he rode with me. He can't handle back to back rides and since the line was non-existent when we arrived we thought it was better for me to hop on first and then we would use our fast pass together. Turns out we didn't need the fast pass that we used either, there was no line when I got off the ride the first time.
View attachment 397883

I loved the Tower of Terror but I do think Guardians is more fun than TOT. With that said though, I do not want the TOT at Hollywood Studios to change.

View attachment 397884

Then we went to Monstropolis. B claims to not care for the ride but I make him go on it and can get him on it when there is no/to little line. And guess what he says after it ever time, "That is a cute ride."
View attachment 397885

We met up with Goofy by the Carthay Circle. Goofy liked B's shirt.
View attachment 397886

Remember in the King's Canyon/Sequoia part of this report when I showed you Grizzly Falls. Well here it is again but this time at California Adventure!
View attachment 397887

Next stop Radiator Springs and Racers! We used a fast pass on Racers and then walked on the ride again with single rider.
View attachment 397888

View attachment 397889

Next we made our way over to Pixar Pier and found Forky. Brad had not seen the movie yet, I had seen it through a special D23 movie preview event in Minneapolis a week before it came out in theaters. So I knew who Forky was Brad did not but I assured him he was a cute good character. By now he has seen Toy Story 4 and did think Forky was a cute character.
View attachment 397890

We rode Jessie's Critter Carousel. It was new to both of us, I was going to ride it when I took my solo trip but the wait was over 30 minutes. That's ridiculous for a carousel. Today the wait time was the time it took for the ride before us to end, perfect! The carousel animals are cute and the songs are fun. I'd ride it again with no wait.
View attachment 397891

Happy Anniversary!

I think if I took Val to a Disney Park for our Anniversary it would be our last. :oops:

93boomer

Premium Member
Tuesday June 25, 2019......Our Anniversary. 14 years of marital bliss? ;)

We left Palm Springs early, super early, it was about 4:15am. I think I scared the poor desk clerk at the BW when I went to check out. It was about a 2 hour drive and a week day so we knew we would be encountered some rush hour traffic. Our goal was to get to California Adventure by park open.

We had one problem though....LaToya the Toyota. We were returning her at an Avis location near Disneyland had to return it by 5:30 pm, we had our luggage our room wouldn't be read this early, and we had a dinner reservation at 5:15 pm....

Option One: was to park one of the Disneyland lots (we have an annual pass so parking is included), go to the parks, then leave mid-afternoon drop off our bags at the hotel, then return the car and walk back (only 10 minutes from our hotel) to the hotel.

Option Two: Try to check into our hotel early or at least ask if we could store the bags for the day, return the car, and walk to Disneyland

We went with Option Two. Of course our room wasn't ready but I did a pre-check in and they were super nice about storing our bags. I even started with saying, "I know our room isn't available yet", so that they weren't thinking I was demanding a room. Then we drove over to the Avis car rental. It was 7:20 am and we had about 10 minutes to wait until it did open. The driveway to the car rental could only fit about 2 cars and we luckily were the first ones there.

While we were waiting to return the car I made a reservation for the afternoon at Oga's Canteen. It seemed like an appropriate thing to do on our anniversary. The car rental guy actually opened the place a couple minutes early. We waved goodbye to LaToya and walked about 10-12 minutes over to the Disneyland Esplanade. We entered California Adventure at about 7:50 am!

Our first stop was at Guest Relations for Anniversary buttons. As we were walking out of Guest Relations I put my finger through the writing on the button and smudged it. When I showed Brad he suggested getting another, there was no line, as we turned around I think the cm knew what we needed because she grabbed another button and started writing a new one! I didn't smudge my second one.
View attachment 397882

We headed to our first ride of Soarin' and got in line right before 8am. The line wasn't long but we still waited about 20 minutes! That was a little frustrating at park open. After that we headed to Guardians and I rode once without Brad and then he rode with me. He can't handle back to back rides and since the line was non-existent when we arrived we thought it was better for me to hop on first and then we would use our fast pass together. Turns out we didn't need the fast pass that we used either, there was no line when I got off the ride the first time.
View attachment 397883

I loved the Tower of Terror but I do think Guardians is more fun than TOT. With that said though, I do not want the TOT at Hollywood Studios to change.

View attachment 397884

Then we went to Monstropolis. B claims to not care for the ride but I make him go on it and can get him on it when there is no/to little line. And guess what he says after it ever time, "That is a cute ride."
View attachment 397885

We met up with Goofy by the Carthay Circle. Goofy liked B's shirt.
View attachment 397886

Remember in the King's Canyon/Sequoia part of this report when I showed you Grizzly Falls. Well here it is again but this time at California Adventure!
View attachment 397887

Next stop Radiator Springs and Racers! We used a fast pass on Racers and then walked on the ride again with single rider.
View attachment 397888

View attachment 397889

Next we made our way over to Pixar Pier and found Forky. Brad had not seen the movie yet, I had seen it through a special D23 movie preview event in Minneapolis a week before it came out in theaters. So I knew who Forky was Brad did not but I assured him he was a cute good character. By now he has seen Toy Story 4 and did think Forky was a cute character.
View attachment 397890

We rode Jessie's Critter Carousel. It was new to both of us, I was going to ride it when I took my solo trip but the wait was over 30 minutes. That's ridiculous for a carousel. Today the wait time was the time it took for the ride before us to end, perfect! The carousel animals are cute and the songs are fun. I'd ride it again with no wait.
View attachment 397891
Love these pictures!!! Our DD liked the GOTG theme TOT too!

93boomer

Premium Member
Tuesday June 25, 2019

After the fireworks we headed over to Galaxy's Edge for our Oga's Cantina reservation. On the way to the Cantina I took some night shots of the land.
View attachment 398513

View attachment 398516

View attachment 398517

View attachment 398518

View attachment 398519

Waiting to get into the Cantina
View attachment 398521

Inside with DJ REX, I'll put some pictures of the new drinks we tried in the next post.
View attachment 398522

View attachment 398523

View attachment 398524

View attachment 398525
Love the night views!!

93boomer

Premium Member
Thursday June 27, 2019
The ceiling is patterned after some of the background from Snow White, and some of the tables have the Evil Queen inlay on then (ours did not this time)
View attachment 399066

I got the summer pasta

View attachment 399067

B got the pork chop
View attachment 399068

On our way out of the restaurant we were admiring these flowers and a cast member came by and told us that they were fresh every day. There were pretty. We were both a little surprised because they looked so perfect we thought they'd be fake.
View attachment 399069

For dessert we headed over to Oga's Cantina but first we took the Omnibus down Main Street.
View attachment 399070

View attachment 399071

View attachment 399072

View attachment 399073

And back on Batuu. We were becoming frequent guests there.
View attachment 399074

View attachment 399075
I should not look at your food pictures right before dinner!!! I want what you ate not what I am going to eat!🤣🤣

Cesar R M

Thursday June 20, 2019

Hiking the Big Stump Trail in King's Canyon National Park. Why is it called Big Stump trail? Because people back in the day did some logging in the area and left the big stumps of the Sequoias behind.

View attachment 395099

This fallen tree was in the trail, so we had to climb over and on it to continue on the trail.
.View attachment 395101

View attachment 395102

Stump meadow
View attachment 395103

Me and a stump
View attachment 395104

It really is mind boggling how big the Sequoias can actually be.
View attachment 395105

Me on the fallen tree on the trail I mentioned above.
View attachment 395106

And Brad on that same log.
View attachment 395109

After our hike we decided to head to Grant Grove Village and maybe try to check into our cabin and if we couldn't then check out the visitors center and other places. On the way to the check in area at John Muir Lodge we noticed this pretty little meadow that would be right across from our cabin area, and the meadow's name was Bradley's Meadow. So course we had to take a picture of Brad and his meadow!
View attachment 395107
I am stumped at the size of these things!

Cesar R M

Thursday June 20, 2019

After the meadow we decided to check into our cabin. The check in point was at John Muir lodge, and when I went to check in the guy was having some problems finding our reservation! He called a manager over for help and she found it right away....whew! Sigh of relief for sure! I had reserved a 2 double bed cabin WITH a private bathroom. Neither of us are camping/roughing it types of people. I don't want to trek out to some bathroom outside my sleeping quarters, especially in the middle of the night. A private bathroom was a must do for sure. I did opt us out of maid service though as part of their green initiative. We were only spending two nights so I wasn't concerned about getting too messy. So now with the cabin key in hand we went to deposit our stuff in the cabin.

Our cabin was rustic, but it was clean (had a bathroom). Just a note about the bathroom the shower water pressure was really great, almost too great, it felt like we were getting blasted and maybe even beat up in the shower. It was a little funny though, no complaints, I'd rather have it that way than weak. Once in the cabin I broke the news to Brad that there was no tv, he was okay with it, but I think he went through a little withdrawl at night.
View attachment 395114

Our door.
View attachment 395115

The cabin. There was another room in the cabin, I don't know if anyone ever was in there or not. If there were other guests they were either really quiet or there is good sound proofing between that room and ours because we never heard anyone.
View attachment 395121

Once our stuff was safely stored in our room, and I didn't have to worry about bears breaking in anymore, we headed over to see the General Grant tree. A little info via Wikipedia about the General Grant tree:

The General Grant Tree is young by sequoia standards at around 1,700 years old and is still growing thicker. The General Grant Tree is the world's third largest tree(General Sherman Tree is the largest) with the broadest base diameter of any sequoia at 40.3 feet.
This is not the General Grant below, just some other Sequoia in the parking/restroom area.
View attachment 395116

A hollow Sequoia.
View attachment 395118

This is the base of the General Grant.
View attachment 395119

The General Grant tree.
View attachment 395120

Us and the General Grant
View attachment 395123

View attachment 395122

View attachment 395117
Please tell me General Grant is safe. That photo of the base makes looks like its breaking from the base D:

Cesar R M

Thursday June 20, 2019

On the way back, shortly after road's end we stopped at Grizzly Falls. This waterfall was booming, a true thundering sound was being made and SO much water! It isn't really visible in the pictures but the mist and spray was coming off pretty heavy. A lot of people were scrambling up the rocks to get drenched in the spray. We stayed where we would only get a light mist, we didn't want to get drenched. Plus scrambling over wet slippery rocks....not thanks we'd like to stay injury free.

Fun fact: There is a Grizzly Falls in Disney California Adventure too.
View attachment 395816

View attachment 395817

View attachment 395818

Heading back up the mountains.
View attachment 395820

On of the roadside markers.
View attachment 395821

So pretty!
View attachment 395822

View attachment 395824

There was a meadow trail that we wanted to walk but we didn't want to get caught on that winding road after dark and to be honest we were getting hungry. Our halves of the Cuban sandwich wasn't holding us over and it was after 5pm and still had about an hour drive on the road. So we bypassed the meadow and headed back to Grant Grove Village for dinner.

We ate at the restaurant in the Village our other choice was pre-made sandwiches or other frozen grocery items at the little store/grocery area. I didn't really know what to expect from the only restaurant in the Village I hadn't read anything about it being good or bad but we wanted hot food. The food ended up being really good and we had nice service too. It had a nice view out the window which I didn't take a picture of I guess. The only down side, for Brad was they didn't have a full bar. So while I was able to relax with a tasty beer he couldn't have his rum and Coke.
View attachment 395825

Brad got a steak with cheese mashed potatoes (which were creamier than it looks in the picture).
View attachment 395826

And I opted for the personal pepperoni pizza. The crust was good a little greasy but not overally so. And it had a ton of cheese. I like lots of cheese!
View attachment 395827

After dinner we walked around the Village for awhile and checked out the other cabin area, market, and gift shop. Then we went back to our cabin for the night and sat outside for a bit , played Skip-bo (card game), and read. We survived without TV!

B and I had a minor disagreement though, the cabin was a little stuffy so we opened the windows (no AC). At bed time the cabin had a nice temperature and B wanted to keep the windows open. I wanted to close them as it was supposed to get chilly that night. The windows were a hassle to open and close as you had to open the screen to close the glass area of the window. He wanted to close most of them and then if I got cold during the night we (meaning me) could close the rest of them. I knew I would get cold, I knew it was a hassle to close them, so I pointed out that if it got stuffy we could open them back up. I also knew it was supposed to get in the low 40's that night, I thought we should even turn on the heat but I knew with the window disagreement he wouldn't agree to that. In the end we closed the windows and by morning the room was super cold! And Brad admitted I had been right and we should have even turned on the heat. He is rarely cold so for him to admit that he had gotten cold during the night was a huge deal. The bathroom had it's own heat control and in the middle of the night I had turned that on so at least that was nice and warm for us. By the way, there was no disagreement about the windows the next night and B even turned on the heat in the main room before I even said anything!
You took some awesome photos of the waterfall.

Cesar R M

Tuesday June 25, 2019

Finally some food! We started with drinks. A rum and Coke for B and I went for the Pizza Porter beer.
View attachment 397920

We sat at the same table we had in November, so no new stuff to look at for us.
View attachment 397921

I got the deviled eggs, which were good. We shared the nachos with steak and Brad got some steak sushi type thing.
View attachment 397922

The nachos were okay, they look cheesy but it was really just in that spot. Needs more cheese.
View attachment 397923

And a close up B's steak thing. He enjoyed it.
View attachment 397924

We were too full and again didn't get the special doughnuts. We looped back to Toy Story Mania then headed to our fast pass for Guardians.
View attachment 397925

Groot was out but the line was long so I caught him in between people.
View attachment 397926

Special photo op for passholders.
View attachment 397927

After Guardians we killed some time by going to Philharmagic again. We sat closer to the screen this time and that made the smaller screen better but MK's is better. After Philharmagic we shopped around and then it was around 2:30 pm and our room was guaranteed to be ready at 3 pm. So we headed out and over to the Best Western Park Place Inn. On the way out Oswald was just coming out for a meet and greet! I didn't realize he still came out. So of course we stopped.
View attachment 397928

View attachment 397929

We made it back to the BW Park Place at about 2:45 pm and we were told the room wasn't ready yet and that it wasn't guaranteed until 3 pm. Ok, it was only 15 minutes early. So we got our luggage from storage and waited in the lobby. At 3 pm sharp Brad went back up to the front desk and asked about our room and now (only 15 minutes later) it was ready. So we went and unpacked and had a nap to recharge our batteries for the evening. We can't do a 4am wake up to park close without a nap!
Oswald!!! :D
I really need to get my butt to Cali
So many things to see!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom