Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday June 18, 2019

Once we got back to the Farmer's Market we decided some ice cream was in order. We agreed to share some flavors, well that didn't quite work out because upon tasting the Butter Pecan Brad seemed to forget that we were sharing. I only got a couple bites of it. :confused: Other flavors were mint chocolate chip, pistachio, and rocky road.
IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_6856.JPG

The ice cream was really good though. If we ever go again I'm not sharing and I'm getting my own butter pecan!
IMG_8514.JPG

Once we collected the car we headed out to Malibu. The plan had been to enjoy a sunset out there, but with the overcast sky that wasn't going to happen but we could still enjoy a nice dinner by the ocean. So here are some scenes from the drive out there. There was a lot of slow traffic and even though the distance wasn't that far it took us about an hour.
IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

It seemed as if a lot of people just park along the road and camp. We even saw porta potties set up in places.
IMG_2348.JPG

Why didn't I just take a screen shot? I don't know. But this gives you an idea of how slow the traffic was. Going 1.7 miles was going to take us 19 minutes!
IMG_2355.JPG

This house looked nice and had a nice ocean view.
IMG_2356.JPG

The scenery along the road fascinated me a little. The erosion features were interesting and I figured when I talk to my students about erosion these pictures would be good to show.
IMG_2357.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday June 18, 2019

A few more roadside/traffic pictures.
IMG_2358.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

The restaurant we chose was Duke's. We had been to Duke's in Hawaii and liked their food, atmosphere and drinks. It turned out to be a good choice.
IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6859.JPG

IMG_8526.JPG

This was the view from our table and shortly after being seated we saw a seal pop up in the water that was exciting!
IMG_8517.JPG

Cheers! I had the Duke's Blonde Ale and B got a Mai Tai
IMG_6864.JPG

IMG_6865.JPG

IMG_8520.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday June 18, 2019

We shared (and this time I got my fair share) some Korean style ribs. They were good a little spicy but not so spicy it blew out our taste buds.
IMG_6866.JPG

I got the Huli Huli chicken. YUMMY! I also loved that it came with mashed potatoes.
IMG_2364.JPG

Brad got some sort of fish that was Parmesan and macadamia nut crusted. He loved it.
IMG_2365.JPG

We were too full for any dessert so after paying we walked outside and had a nice view of the ocean, without being behind glass. That was the downside of dinner was we weren't in the open air, but with the restaurant being located so close to the ocean it made sense for them to have windows or we would have gotten pelted with seaspray.
IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_8524.JPG

This fun plant was growing near the edge of the fence we stood by, I thought it was pretty.
IMG_2372.JPG

The best route back to "our" home was driving through the canyon instead of back along the way we had come. And it turned out to be a pretty drive.
IMG_2373.JPG

Lots of big boulders in the canyon.
IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

Sorry for the blurr,B drives a little fast sometimes! Ha!
IMG_2382.JPG

And that is the end of our day going Hollywood. We ended back at the house before 9, it actually might have been before 8 pm. And we just relaxed for the rest of the night with some tv. So while it was disappointing not to see a fantastic sunset we still had a great dinner with a nice view. It had been a great day.

Coming Up: Walt's LA and the Disney Studios!

MySmallWorldof4

Tuesday June 18, 2019
I forgot to include a picture of the Max Factor building, located right off Hollywood Blvd. It's facade might look familiar to you next time you walk down Hollywood Blvd at Hollywood Studios in WDW.

View attachment 388689

Some more courtyard pictures. Both of us are classic movie fans so we recognized quite a few old celeb names.
View attachment 388690

View attachment 388691

View attachment 388692

White Christmas is actually my favorite movie of all time so I had to take a picture of this. Plus who doesn't love him that Epcot special!?
View attachment 388693

And of course Bing Crosby was the real star of White Christmas and those great Road movies with Bob Hope.
View attachment 388695

View attachment 388694

My second favorite movies of all time, and the best musical ever made (yes I realize that White Christmas is my favorite movie and a musical) is Singing in the Rain, so I had to snap a picture of Debbie Reynold's prints!
View attachment 388696

Van Johnson is also in a movie I watch every Christmas Eve, "In the Good Old Summertime" which also has Judy Garland in it.
View attachment 388697

I also enjoy the Esther Williams movies, I love the swimming she does in them. Anytime Brad and I are in a pool I have to model my Esther Williams moves. :D
View attachment 388698
Loving the hand/footprint shots. It's amazing that some of those are more than 80 years old. Such history there! Hopefully they can keep the garbage of the sidewalks there. A shame that there is no respect from some people for these bits of entertainment history.

Cesar R M

Tuesday June 18, 2019

Continuing on the Starline tour. We passed the Beverly Hills Hotel, which some of you might remember from the movie "Saving Mr. Banks".
View attachment 389774

I don't remember who's house this was supposed to be but the gate was really fancy. That was one of the cool things about this tour, the homes in these areas were just gorgeous. It didn't really matter who lived in them they were just beautiful to look at. One thing our guide pointed out was that the people who owned these homes often liked to put their own stamp on the property and some would even tear down a perfectly good home and build another, sometimes they just wanted the property not the house. Which I suppose happens in any area. This would be the flip side of what we would be told in Palm Springs.
View attachment 389775

This isn't really of an significance, just a random street in Beverly Hills. I took it because I loved the purple trees blooming. They are jacaranda trees in bloom. We had seen some in Disneyland and in the area we were staying too but I just though they were pretty.
View attachment 389776

View attachment 389778

This tree was interesting too. The guide pointed it out because of the unusual "blooms" on it. It looked like big balls of cotton, and doing a quick search on the internet they might be called silk cotton trees.
View attachment 389782

View attachment 389779

And we did a drive by of Rodeo Dr. We could have booked a tour that would have had a stop and walk on this street. I have done it before and Brad didn't care if he walked down the street at all. I guess he didn't want to recreate that scene from Pretty Woman! So a drive by was fine.
View attachment 389781

I guess this was an area that had been used in a few movies/tv shows. I can't remember now but it did look familiar.
View attachment 389783

Another movie sight, from a cop film. I want to say Beverly Hills Cop, but I never saw that movie so maybe it looks familiar to one of you.
View attachment 389784

We turned onto Sunset on our way back to Hollywood Blv and drove past the famous Viper Room club.
View attachment 389785
I think the movie on the second last photo was related to the movie DEMOLITION MAN.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi folks, sorry for the delay in updating my post. I've been doing some delayed spring cleaning at our house, and then when I was done with that our internet was out all of last week! I could only see the internets via the data on my phone but all my pictures to post were on the computer now, so no ability to update my report. Anyway, I'm up and running again so I'll continue on.

I left off at the end of our Hollywood day and I'll pick up with our Disney & Disney Studios day.

Wednesday June 19, 2019
A little back story (sorry there is so much text to this story), as you may remember we were staying in Glendale and it turns out we were about a 2 minute drive from the Disney Studios. I booked this place to stay last September/October so I knew for quite awhile that we were going to be near the Disney Studio but not be able to tour it. Disney Studios tours are only available with an Adventures By Disney tour, D23 Tours (not offered during our stay, but 2 days after), knowing someone who works for the company (we do not know anyone), OR through Disney Movie Rewards (two tours one that goes to Walt's office and one that does not). We were saving our Movie Reward points for the tour with Walt's office. Well, around the end of May, I noticed that we were about 300 Movie Reward points short of the Gold tour, the one that doesn't go to Walt's office.

As I thought about it and did some math, I figured out based on our yearly point totals that it would take us about 3 1/2-4 more years to get enough points to earn the top tour. A lot can happen in 3 1/2-4 more years and when Disney + comes out we might not buy as many DVD's as we do each year. So a little more math, I figured out if I bought a few more Disney DVD's now, of DVD's I wanted anyway, I could get enough points for the Gold tour. So, that's what I did. A few days later my DVD's came in the mail and I cashed in the Disney Movie Reward points for our Gold tour! Yeah!

Only......when I cashed in the points and made my request for the dates I would like I noticed that it said that tour date requests should be at least 6 weeks out. We were less than 4 weeks away from our trip! So I cashed in the points on Thursday night and I had to call the next day to put in our date requests. I put in possible dates for June and some for August when we would be going to California again. I held out little hope for June and figured we would still be able to tour the studio but might have to wait until August. The person I talked to only put in the requests for the dates and told me that a Studio representative would call to follow up. About an hour and half later I got a call from the a Studio rep, and luckily I had a student teacher teaching my class so I could take the call.

The Studio rep was very nice and said that our top date in June was not possible but that June 19 and 20 didn't show any tours scheduled yet he would just have to confirm with the guides at the Studio. He seemed very positive that June 19th would be available for us. I was super pumped because the 20th was the day we were leaving LA for Sequoia, and he also told me that August was out because no tours of this sort were scheduled because the people running them would be getting ready for D23 Expo. So June 19th was PROBABLY going to be our date. I thanked him and was feeling extremely lucky that on short notice we were going to get our tour! BUT it wasn't 100% booked yet. He said he would let me know later that day (Friday), or on Monday. Well, I didn't hear anything the rest of Friday so I was on pins and needles the whole weekend. But I heard back from him at about 11 am on Monday and everything was set for our tour on June 19!!!! I was so excited I think now my co-workers truly understand my level of Disney-nerdom now!!! I kind of got a look from them that said, "what's the big deal". Then I explained that the tour is not something that is easily bookable to the public, like a Warner Brothers, Paramount, or Sony tour, and then I think they kind of got it. I really think I just was lucky on being able to book the tour on such short notice, I do not recommend trying to book on short notice, so if you have your reward points ready to book, be flexible and book in advance!

So now today was the day and we were excited! I also had planned out a driving tour for us later in the day that would take us to different sights and places that had significance to Walt & Roy Disney and the Disney Company. I had it mapped and charted with anecdotes for touring. Our tour started at 10 am and since we are early risers we were up at 6 am and decided to hit a couple spots on my driving tour before heading to the Studio.

First stop Martino's Bakery in Burbank, it was a 5 minute drive from our house and I wish we had gone other mornings it was fabulous. So what is the connection of Martino's Bakery and Disney? The bakers had supplied tea cakes to the Disney Studio for the people in the Ink and Paint Department to have in their tea room. I read about them in the book, "Ink & Paint: The Women of Walt Disney's Animation" by Mindy Johnson. It is a good book, well researched with a ton of information on the women, the studio, and that department.
IMG_8528.JPG

A picture of the famous tea cakes. They were really good, they had a bit of a vanilla flavor to them but they were very moist and delicious. We both had one.
IMG_2387.JPG

Other stuff at the bakery looked very tempting too and we couldn't pass up a Bear Claw and a cinnamon roll. Both of these were very good too, but after the tea cake we only ate a little bit of each of these. But we boxed them up and took them with us!
IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

After the bakery we still had plenty of time before the tour so we continued on to the next stop on the driving tour, only a couple minute drive to 1401 Flower Street......Walt Disney Imagineering.

We parked near the main building and walked around the area. A good way to burn off our sugary breakfast! I was tempted to try to open one of the doors, but being a rule follower I did not. A guy who worked there passed by and entered the building so I tried to peek as he opened the door but I didn't see anything interesting. He didn't even give us a second glance, I suppose they are used to Disnerds gawking at the building.
IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_6872.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG
IMG_2403.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019

It was fun to walk around the area, there wasn't too much we could see of the magic going on inside, but it was fun to imagine what was going on and to think about the stuff that has been produced there. It was also interesting to see the little things people had propped up in their windows there were a couple fun displays with some plushes of characters (no pictures I didn't want to be that much of a creeper). Maybe someday I will take the Adventure by Disney tour that goes to Imagineering.

So a few more pictures of the Imagineering area.
IMG_2401.JPG

I thought it was fun that the building numbers were themed to be cast badges.
IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

Research and Development?!
IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG

After our tour of the Imagineering area we headed over to the Studio, we were still over a half an hour early from when they said to check in with security.
IMG_2422.JPG

There were fun Mickey heads on the fences around the Studio.
IMG_2426.JPG

So we found a parking spot in back, outside the gates, of the Studio and sat and waited until we could drive in to the gate. Brad returned some work calls and emails, and I sat looking at this view over at the Studio getting more anxious and excited. Sitting there I was now very thankful that my last minute cashing in of my Movie Rewards worked out. THIS was the Studio I wanted to see, we had planned on the Warner Brothers before I cashed in the points but I had kept putting off purchasing that tour. As I sat in the car I knew that I wouldn't have been as happy to just see the Disney Studio driving by and looking through the gates. I was feeling very blessed and happy to be having the opportunity to tour the Disney Studio. I was just hoping I wouldn't get too emotional once the actual tour started.
IMG_2429.JPG

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019

Finally it was time and we drove to the gate we were told in our emails to go to and we were on Studio property!
IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

From our parking spot.
IMG_2455.JPG

IMG_8537.JPG

My guest pass!
IMG_8536 - Copy_LI.jpg

We were asked to wait for our tour guide at this area on a bench. We had about a 10 minute wait, but that was fine it gave me some time to take in the surroundings and Brad and I love a good bench!
IMG_2458.JPG

Oh and this was behind us! The main Studio campus!
IMG_8539.JPG

Our tour guide met up with us and she was very nice. She seemed very happy that it was just the two of us on the tour. All the Movie reward tours are private but we could had more people with us if we wanted, but we didn't. We started the tour and the first couple buildings we saw had been brought over from the Hyperion Studio location when this new location had been built.
IMG_8540.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019 Disney Studios Tour!

Luckily we were allowed to take pictures on the tour, in most places. There were some locations we were asked not to take pictures and our guide also asked that when we took pictures to not include faces of the Studio cast members for privacy. She said it was fine if they were in the picture but couldn't be identified, which was a totally reasonable request and I like "empty" pictures of locations anyway. But sometimes people doing their job got into our shot.

IMG_2459.JPG

Behind the Mickey topiary is the hospital across the street in which Walt Disney passed away.
IMG_2465.JPG

The commissary I wish we could have eaten there for lunch. Our guide said that the food is good. But it was not a stop on this tour, I guess on the Adventures by Disney tour it is where the group eats lunch.
IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

Bikes are used a lot by staff to get around the lot and I thought the bike rack was cool.
IMG_2473.JPG

Now this is the Sherman Brothers stage but it was and still is used to make a lot of recordings.
IMG_2475.JPG

One of the studio bikes
IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_6886.JPG

Coming up soon (I promise): more of our Studio tour.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019

Continuing our tour....many of you might recognize this sign post. It is used in a lot of Studio pictures and was in the Reluctant Dragon. Behind the sign is the old Animation Building.
IMG_6897.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

dopey & mickey ave.jpg

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

If this area look familiar it is probably because you recognize it from a scene in Saving Mr. Banks.
IMG_2490.JPG

Another Studio bike.
IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_6907.JPG

At this point in the tour we went inside the Animation building. We weren't allowed to take any pictures inside but we saw the area were the 9 Old Men had their offices, admired a lot of art work on the walls, went through the tunnel, and peeked through the glass doors of what is left of the Ink and Paint Department. I also needed to use the restroom in this building and why mention it...well I thought it would have Disney artwork or some sort of Disney design inside but nope there was a print of an Impressionist (can't remember which one) on the wall in kind of a cheap looking frame. It kind of surprised me.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019

As we left the Animation building area we got our first good full on look at the front of the Team Disney building, our guide said that we would get a closer look later.
IMG_2493.JPG

We did get to see the location of Walt's office from the outside of the building (top corner floor)
IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

Then we made our way over to the sound stages and got to peek into a couple empty ones. Sound stage one was where the Original Mickey Mouse Club was filmed. As you can probably tell from my outfit, I have an affinity to the MMC. Growing up my mom would talk a lot about her memories of running home from school and watching the Mickey Mouse Club. She could clearly describe the episodes and was a fan of many of the Mouseketeers. It was watching this program and Davy Crockett that made her fall in love with Disney things and luckily she passed that love on to me. So when I saw the sound stage I had a little moment of sadness as I thought about the love my Mom had for things produced here and I wouldn't be able to share what I was seeing with her (she passed away a few years ago).
IMG_2502.JPG

The building behind Sound Stage one is now a onsite medical building. And when the MMC and other shows with kids in the 50's were filming it was also the location of the school for the kids.
IMG_2503.JPG

And the plaque for the dedication of Sound Stage Two in honor of Julie Andrews. Oh and Sound Stage One was dedicated to Annette Funicello. I thought it was wonderful that two of the main sound stages were dedicated to women, go girls! The only other dedicated stage on the lot is the Sherman Brothers stage.
IMG_6918.JPG

A closer look at the water tower.
IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

Digital Studio Services building
IMG_6917.JPG

And the Roy E Disney Animation building, this is built across the street from the main studio lot and in the location that Walt first thought of building a Mickey Mouse park.
IMG_2508.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019

More of our studio tour. If I remember correctly this building is where some attraction stuff for Disneyland was built.
IMG_2511.JPG

Literally this is the Disney Movie Vault!
IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_6923.JPG

Soon we left the lot area and moved in to tour the Archives!!! This I was most excited for. My dream job would be to work in the Archives, it will never happen but a girl can dream right? Actually, our guide had worked for a few years in the Archives, she said she loved working there. Our guide was actually retired from the company but came back a few days a week to conduct tours, which she had helped develop for the Studio.
IMG_6934.JPG

Us with one of Walt Disney's Oscars. I can't remember what it was for, but I do remember that they are super heavy!
IMG_6931.JPG

The display area in the Archives changes periodically and the theme this time was Adventure. We were only allowed to tour the outer part of the archives to see what they wanted to display and we saw a large majority of their book collection too. It would have been great to just tour the inner part of the Archives but that's not part of the tour.

I was pretty psyched to see these original tiki statues from the Polynesian on display, as a kid we stayed a few times at the Polynesian so I know I have some pictures of my younger self in front of some of these.
IMG_6937.JPG

One of Walt's trunks
IMG_6936.JPG

And the Redhead from Pirates!
IMG_6938.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019 Disney Studios...in the Archives

A look at more of the display in the Archives.
IMG_6942.JPG

We were told that the brown books on the top left of the book shelf all contained news stories of Walt Disney's death from as many newspapers around the world that they could get. That's a lot of news stories. We were also told that the Archives buys every book published with any information related to the company. I saw many books on their shelves that I have in my own Disney library, but I would have loved to have been allowed to peruse some of their books that I don't have.
IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6945.JPG

I may not have been able to meet the man, but a life size cut out would do.
IMG_6947.JPG

I'm about 99% positive that I have a picture of me as a kid next to this Poly tiki, now I just have to find it so I can do a side by side.
IMG_6948.JPG

I only got to go to the Adventurer's Club once but I remember this guy.
IMG_2515.JPG

Look at all those beautiful books!
IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

A John Hench painting of Mickey's official portrait on the left and the current official Mickey portrait (for the 90th) by Mark Henn.
IMG_2525.JPG

And a TOT bellhop hat and book props.
IMG_2532.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019

As we left the Archives we took a quick look at one of the multi-plane cameras. We didn't spend much time with it because we had already told the guide we had seen the the one at the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.
IMG_2533.JPG

Then we went for a closer look at the Team Disney-Michael Eisner Building and Legends Courtyard.
IMG_2534.JPG

In the courtyard we were able to get close up pictures with the Partner's statue.
IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

And we looked at Legend plaques.
IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

studios.jpg

It was great to see the Sharing the Magic statue here too.
IMG_8550.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday June 19, 2019

A few more pictures around the Legends courtyard. After the Legends courtyard our guide led us back to where we started the tour. We were given some time to shop at the Studio store and we also had access to most of the special employee area as well. About half the Studio store was just some regular Disney store type stuff so both Brad and I focused our shopping on Studio merchandise and special items from the employee area. That meant we were done shopping fairly quickly which surprised our guide that we were so fast, but we spent plenty. It probably helped our shopping that it was getting close to 1 pm and we were ready for lunch!

I was able to meet Tom Nabbe at the last D23 Expo and he was lovely to chat with, so I had to take this picture.
IMG_2541.JPG

One of my favorite movies is the Parent Trap, the real one not the more current version. One summer, I think when I was a 4th grader, I watched the Parent Trap everyday. It drove my poor mother crazy, but to this day I am quite an expert on this movie. I once met a very popular WDW podcaster and so called Disney expert and somehow the Parent Trap came up and he mentioned something in the movie which was an actual reference to a song in the movie The Monkey's Uncle. I knew right away it was incorrect but I didn't want to be rude and correct him. I later mentioned it to Brad and Brad was like, "I think you are wrong Amy, this guy knows his Disney." And I was like, "Dude, I have watched that movie 100's of times, I would know if that song was in the Parent Trap." Brad still didn't believe me, but I proved I was right.

Anyway, long story...I saw Ms. Mills prints and had to take a picture.
IMG_2543.JPG

I also checked out her hand prints vs mine and we have the same size hands!
IMG_6958.JPG

Two more wonderful ladies that helped develop Disney things and art we love.
IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

Brad immediately sought out the Legends he was interested in.
IMG_6952.JPG

I'll never be an official Disney Legend but this will be "my" statue.
IMG_6959.JPG

And on our way out of the courtyard we saw Dave Smith's plaque, and we got some stories about Dave from our guide.
IMG_6962.JPG

After we drove away from the Studio we went in search of food. Our guide said Portos, a local Cuban chain, had good food. It was a place that was on my list to try so we headed to the Burbank location. We got extremely lucky with parking, it was packed! But a packed restaurant means good food right? And yep it was terrific. We started with a little appetizer of a chorizo pie, ham croquette, chicken croquette, a spicy potato ball, and a regular potato ball (with fantastic Cuban spiced hamburger inside).
IMG_2552.JPG

We both got Cuban sandwiches. The food was all really good and the sandwiches were huge! We should have shared but we ended up taking it back to the house, more leftovers to eat up before we left for Sequoia the next day! (Spoiler alert: we actually made our other half of the sandwich our lunch the next day on the drive to Sequoia, so it all worked out fine that we over ordered food at Portos.)
IMG_2555.JPG

Coming up soon: Then rest of our Walt & Roy Disney/Disney related sights driving tour of LA (and surrounding areas).

Rista1313

Wednesday June 19, 2019

A few more pictures around the Legends courtyard. After the Legends courtyard our guide led us back to where we started the tour. We were given some time to shop at the Studio store and we also had access to most of the special employee area as well. About half the Studio store was just some regular Disney store type stuff so both Brad and I focused our shopping on Studio merchandise and special items from the employee area. That meant we were done shopping fairly quickly which surprised our guide that we were so fast, but we spent plenty. It probably helped our shopping that it was getting close to 1 pm and we were ready for lunch!

I was able to meet Tom Nabbe at the last D23 Expo and he was lovely to chat with, so I had to take this picture.
View attachment 394452

One of my favorite movies is the Parent Trap, the real one not the more current version. One summer, I think when I was a 4th grader, I watched the Parent Trap everyday. It drove my poor mother crazy, but to this day I am quite an expert on this movie. I once met a very popular WDW podcaster and so called Disney expert and somehow the Parent Trap came up and he mentioned something in the movie which was an actual reference to a song in the movie The Monkey's Uncle. I knew right away it was incorrect but I didn't want to be rude and correct him. I later mentioned it to Brad and Brad was like, "I think you are wrong Amy, this guy knows his Disney." And I was like, "Dude, I have watched that movie 100's of times, I would know if that song was in the Parent Trap." Brad still didn't believe me, but I proved I was right.

View attachment 394453

View attachment 394457

View attachment 394454

View attachment 394455

View attachment 394456

View attachment 394458

And on our way out of the courtyard we saw Dave Smith's plaque, and we got some stories about Dave from our guide.
View attachment 394459

After we drove away from the Studio we went in search of food. Our guide said Portos, a local Cuban chain, had good food. It was a place that was on my list to try so we headed to the Burbank location. We got extremely lucky with parking, it was packed! But a packed restaurant means good food right? And yep it was terrific. We started with a little appetizer of a chorizo pie, ham croquette, chicken croquette, a spicy potato ball, and a regular potato ball (with fantastic Cuban spiced hamburger inside).
View attachment 394460

We both got Cuban sandwiches. The food was all really good and the sandwiches were huge! We should have shared but we ended up taking it back to the house, more leftovers to eat up before we left for Sequoia the next day! (Spoiler alert: we actually made our other half of the sandwich our lunch the next day on the drive to Sequoia, so it all worked out fine that we over ordered food at Portos.)
View attachment 394461

Coming up soon: Then rest of our Walt & Roy Disney/Disney related sights driving tour of LA (and surrounding areas).
Wednesday June 19, 2019

View attachment 394452

View attachment 394453

View attachment 394457

View attachment 394454

View attachment 394455

View attachment 394456

View attachment 394458

View attachment 394459

View attachment 394460

View attachment 394461

Your tour looks wonderful! All that history... I definitely would have been in awe! I too am also a fan of the original parent trap. I haven't watched it near the times you have... but it's definitely one I love to watch.... let's stick together.. yeah yeah yeah!

And that cuban food! That looks really good. In FL there is a place at St. Pete Beach that has the best cuban sandwiches. We always get a whole one each, knowing we will have another half to eat later. Totally worth it!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Your tour looks wonderful! All that history... I definitely would have been in awe! I too am also a fan of the original parent trap. I haven't watched it near the times you have... but it's definitely one I love to watch.... let's stick together.. yeah yeah yeah!

And that cuban food! That looks really good. In FL there is a place at St. Pete Beach that has the best cuban sandwiches. We always get a whole one each, knowing we will have another half to eat later. Totally worth it!

Yeah, the tour was amazing. Even my teenage niece likes the original Parent Trap better, but I might have brainwashed her into that! 😉

Is the Cuban place you are talking about the Columbia? When my friend and I were in that area we ate at a Cuban place called the Columbia and they have a few locations in Florida. We enjoyed their food a lot and I especially enjoyed the mojitos!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom