Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wow! What a trip you had!! And those exquisite Minnie drawings!!!! :inlove: I wish they still had the animation academy at WDW -- I used to love to draw sketches of the characters. I think that you and Brad did a really good job--mine never even looked remotely like any character! :hilarious:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow! What a trip you had!! And those exquisite Minnie drawings!!!! :inlove: I wish they still had the animation academy at WDW -- I used to love to draw sketches of the characters. I think that you and Brad did a really good job--mine never even looked remotely like any character! :hilarious:

I kind of thought you would like the Minnie pictures. :)

Rista1313

I don't think teachers ever had working lunches, or at least they shouldn't have them! Ha! Maybe in your profession it would be more accepted though!

I could have had a drink with lunch today, as we had a snow day...again. It was our 10th snow day off of school this year. It has been the most ever in my life.

At my Insurance company, some of the old timers remember when it was acceptable to have a beer at lunch. Of course at that time, they were also smoking at their desks.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
For the WoC dessert party did you stay at the table for the show, or did they have a separate seating area? I think I have Steve spoiled for the dessert parties because he doesn't have to wait forever for the show and be all crowded in to a certain area. :banghead:

For the dessert party we were seated at a table, got our plate of desserts delivered, and then stayed there for the entire show. It was nice to just have spot to stay in during the whole thing.

Cesar R M

Saturday March 23

After our mixology class we needed a little sustenance. There was one last Food and Wine booth that we needed to try and one that we had really been looking forward to, Garlic Kissed. Luckily it did not disappoint at all.

We shared the pork belly bahn mi
View attachment 363538

And we shared the mac and cheese with crispy garlic crumbles (oh very good!) I'm having this again next week FOR SURE!
View attachment 363540

And something that was good, but no garlic in it, a Mickey Mouse mousse chocolate cake. Very similar to the one I had at the Jolly Holiday but a bit smaller.
View attachment 363539

And a "insta" style photo of all three.
View attachment 363541

I'm pretty sure there was a band playing in the area, the Phat Cat Swingers but they finished up shortly and we wanted more food. Brad wandered into Paradise gardens for some tacos (for both of us), and fish and chips for him.
View attachment 363545

I met up with him there because I needed to get another helping of the garlic mac and cheese. And I stopped at the festival beer garden for something nourishing.
View attachment 363542

View attachment 363543

As we left I saw a sign that explained why Californians are so happy.
View attachment 363544

B and I headed over to Soarin and along the way I was able to spot one of the infamous Disneyland cats. It made me think of @StarWarsGirl .
View attachment 363546

Then when we entered Soarin' I thought of @Tuvalu when I was handed a special red card! I made Brad take a picture of me with it, and he was confused. I've explained about the red card thing before, but he clearly hadn't retained it's importance. So I just told him to trust me that it's a things.
View attachment 363548
The food, so many choices!!

Songbird76

At my Insurance company, some of the old timers remember when it was acceptable to have a beer at lunch. Of course at that time, they were also smoking at their desks.
There was a story on the news yesterday about Denmark bringing in a very restrictive new law about smoking. People working in certain fields won't be allowed to smoke during working hours, even on their breaks, even if they work from home. They will be banned from lighting up at all if they are on the job, so not in the car on the way to a client or meeting, not in their own home. How they will enforce that remains to be seen, but a bunch of people think they've gone too far, telling people they can't smoke in their own homes or vehicles.

Rista1313

There was a story on the news yesterday about Denmark bringing in a very restrictive new law about smoking. People working in certain fields won't be allowed to smoke during working hours, even on their breaks, even if they work from home. They will be banned from lighting up at all if they are on the job, so not in the car on the way to a client or meeting, not in their own home. How they will enforce that remains to be seen, but a bunch of people think they've gone too far, telling people they can't smoke in their own homes or vehicles.

I don't smoke and I agree that oversteps boundaries!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday March 24

More adventures at Disneyland.

Some Pirates of the Caribbean and then we went to Bengal BBQ. I noticed in the seating area by Bengal BBQ this picture of the S.E.A.

And some skewers from Bengal BBQ, this is the pork belly one.

Brad picked the chicken one too.

And a tiger tail.

Then we rode the trolley and enjoyed some music on Main Street.

The Dan's loved Brad's shirt.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday March 24

Then we took a spin on Buzz before hopping on the train.

We caught the train in Tomorrowland and had a slight delay at the Main Street Station which was fine I played with the camera while waiting.

We got off the train at the New Orleans Square station and visited the Haunted Mansion.

Then we needed another snack, well not needed but wanted. We tried the special bacon fritters with avocado lime dip from the Royal Street Veranda. They were good, but needed just a hint of salt.

We weren't done snacking yet....after the bacon fritters we used a fast pass for Indy and then went to the Tropical Hideaway. While in the sitting area I noticed that the buildings were made into bird houses for the tiki birds! Cool!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday March 24

We got a beef bao bun to share at the Tropical Hideaway. I guess I only too a picture of the bag, which is fine. The bao was pretty forgettable.

But the real reason I wanted to go to the Tropical Hideaway was to try a certain whip, not a pineapple Dole whip although that was available. I wanted the orange whip. I love the citrus swirl at the MK and I am always sad it is not at Disneyland. So I wanted to see how this compared to the citrus swirl. It was no citrus swirl, I really like the tartness of the citrus swirl and this was more sweet. It was good and will be my substitute until I can have a real citrus swirl again at the MK.

And then we decided we needed just a little more food so we stopped at the Jolly Holiday and shared the special bacon grilled cheese sandwich which was served with house-made potato chips. It was really good.

And while I ordered I thought this Mickey macaron was way too cute, so I got it. The filling had chocolate and some white/vanilla type icing. It was tasty.

And this was our view from our table.

We were a little tired and stuffed so it was time to head to the hotel to take a nap. Along the way we stopped to watch these guys again.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday March 24, 2019

After a refreshing nap we headed back to Disneyland for more fun. We had a fast pass for Big Thunder the priority was to make it to the last showing of the day of Mickey and the Magical Map. Such a fun show!

Then we had some time before seeing Mickey and the Magical Map so we decided to check out the new fancy wall at Disneyland in Toontown. It is cute.

I told him to act crazy and this is what he came up with.

Nearby was a wishing well, and Minnie's voice came out of it. And yes I'm wearing socks with my sandals. I was tired of wearing tennis shoes but I knew my toes would get cold once the sun went down, hence the socks. I was comfortable and I didn't care.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday March 24

And just a little more of the Mickey and the Magical Map show.

We found ourselves in the Main Street train station at some point.

And back to New Orleans Square. I think we went to Haunted Mansion.

And back to Main Street and the red wagon for corn dogs!

We met up with Minnie!

And then we hung out around Main Street until Mickey's Mix Magic show.

And a glimpse of Mickey's Mix Magic show, the Jungle Book part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom