Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday November 25, 2018

After meet and greets at Launch Bay we headed back to the hub for some photo pass pictures, Dapper Dans, and a performance of the Disneyland band.

While we were waiting for the Dans I decided to check out the Candy Palace. It was a candy cane day but they must have been made already because nuttles (turtles) were being made.

Inside the Candy Palace

Us at the hub (a little out of order in my post here).

The Dans.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday November 25, 2018

Soon it was time for lunch and we headed to Cafe Orleans. It is one of our favorite places, we like the food and the view. Even when we have sat inside at one of those few tables it was highly enjoyable.

We shared the pomme frittes.

Brad got the special beef dish. I think it was short ribs with a cheesy grits and a salsa verde. It was really good, the sauce was a little spicy though (not too bad).

And I got the monte cristos. I got them without powdered sugar and I did not dip it in the fruity dipping sauce either. I like them savory so I salted them and dipped them in the left over pomme fritte sauce.

This was the first time we've ever gotten dessert here and actually the reason why we ate her this time. B and I shared the seasonal dessert, lumps of coal. They were filled with nutella I think and had a coffee flavor too and of course topped with peppermint ice cream.

Then we decided to get a spot on Main Street for the Christmas parade, the plan was that we both camp out for the spot. And we hoped the Dapper Dans would be in a spot where we could see them from our spot. But as soon as we found a spot that wasn't in the direct sun Brad said he had to go to the bathroom, and he was gone a LONG time. I even heard the croons of the Dapper Dans from around the corner by the firehouse. I got irritated with Brad because I just knew he was over there enjoying the Dans I was stuck keeping the spot for the parade, and it was his idea to wait for the parade. I was thinking he would come back about halfway through their show to let me go and enjoy them. But nope, so by the time he came back I was pretty salty. But this was actually the time he chose to go buy and ship the sketch of the toy soldiers for my Christmas present. So when I opened the present I did feel a little bad about the hard time I gave him about the parade wait time.

So anyway, while I was waiting I amused myself with some pictures from around my area. These were the ones I liked best.

Then the parade started.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday November 25, 2018

I know I've already posted pictures from the Christmas Fantasy parade, but I'm going to post some more! It was fun to get some shots of the parade on Main Street with glimpses of the castle sometimes. And of course, my boys, the soldiers were out!

It was neat to watch this float go under the garland, it just barely cleared!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday November 25, 2018

A few more pictures to finish up our last viewing of the Christmas parade.

After the parade we made our way over to the Matterhorn.

Then we had to have one more ride on it's a small world.

After small world we went to explore the decorations quickly in Toontown, we had ignored that land during the whole trip. Oops!

Minnie's house.

Mickey's house

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday November 25, 2018

More of Toontown Christmas decorations. I was kicking myself that I had forgotten about this land and didn't get any pictures during the day. But I did take pictures of the decorations during the daytime in 2015 and not at night in 2015 so I guess it balanced out. It didn't look like there was much change in the decorations. They were fun to look at though.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday November 25, 2018

Our time in Toontown was a little rushed because we wanted to catch the last showing of the day for Mickey and the Magical Map. I really like this show, I think it is my favorite of all the live shows in any of the Disney parks I've been to. If you haven't seen this show you might want to go to youtube and check it out or better yet go to Disneyland. ;)

Nobia Williams

I have to go back to DLR at Christmas and see this parade and show. It reminds me of when I lived in So Cal back in the late 1970's, and attended Cinco de Mayo parades in Redlands with my friends. I also love the Toy Soldiers. The drum show looked like so much fun! Still loving your trip report. I want a bite of that macaroon!!!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday November 25, 2018

We headed over for one last ride on Haunted Holiday and I think we did Big Thunder as all. We stopped by one of the future gates of Galaxy's Edge. I joked about opening the door and going int. Imagine my surprise when I pulled on the door and it opened! I thought about peeking in but Brad was telling me not to or we might get banned and not be able to come back to the finished land.

someone is excited for Star Wars!

New Orleans Square train station, if it looks familiar to Epcot fans it's because it was featured in the Two Brothers segment of the American Adventure show.

After a train ride to Main Street it was time to say good by and head to the hotel and order our Uber to the airport. Since we had heard horror stories on the news about traffic jams this Thanksgiving weekend around LAX we decided to leave for the airport 4 hours early instead of 3 hours.

The Uber ride started off strange, apparently there was some big accident on the main way to LAX so our driver took a different route. No problem. As we neared LAX traffic started getting heavier and our driver was taking any short cut that popped up on his GPS. So far so good, we were making better time than we expected. Then boom...full stoppage. We were in a neighborhood area near a back entrance to LAX apparently and no one was moving. Let's just say for the next 30 minutes we moved about a half a block. People passed us pulling their luggage. After consultations with our google maps and with the driver we figured out we were 1.5 miles away from our terminal and since we hadn't moved in so long it was going to be faster to walk. So our driver pulled into a parking lot and we bid our farewell, he did offer to help with luggage to the airport but we each only had our suitcase and a backpack. So we walked with many other people down the street (past an In-n-Out which Brad didn't want to stop at) and along the exit/entrance ramp to LAX. The walk actually wasn't too bad but we were dressed for cold Minnesota/Wisconsin weather not mild California weather so we got a little sweaty. And along our walk we didn't have to worry about getting hit by a car because none of the cars were moving! This was by the way was not the worst experience I've had with traveling and airports, that honor belongs to Atlanta, but from now on I might not fly into/out of LAX unless I absolutely have to. Before this we have only had good experiences with getting in and out LAX, so perhaps we have been lucky before or it was just the holiday weekend travel day. But anyway, by the time we got to our gate we had a little over an hour to wait. So leaving 4 hours before our flight was definitely the right call!

Our flight was a red eye flight and I had to work the next day, although I did take a half-day and I had a student teacher. So once I got into my seat I cozied up in my hoodie put on my instrumental music and eye mask and promptly fell asleep. I slept basically the whole way to Minneapolis. On the way home we picked up Kapono from her kennel and she had survived and the kennel lady again apologized for not writing down our reservation. So all in all an excellent trip.

Coming up......prelude to our March trip.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have to go back to DLR at Christmas and see this parade and show. It reminds me of when I lived in So Cal back in the late 1970's, and attended Cinco de Mayo parades in Redlands with my friends. I also love the Toy Soldiers. The drum show looked like so much fun! Still loving your trip report. I want a bite of that macaroon!!!!

It is so great anytime at Disneyland but it is a little extra magical at Christmas. :)

93boomer

Premium Member
Saturday November 24, 2018

A few more pictures of the window displays on Buena Vista Street at DCA.
View attachment 347611View attachment 347612

We headed across the esplanade and watched the Christmas fireworks in front of the small world area. So here are some pictures of that.
View attachment 347613View attachment 347614View attachment 347615View attachment 347616View attachment 347618View attachment 347619View attachment 347620View attachment 347621
So pretty!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Prelude to our March trip. Today is the day that hours for our trip start appearing on the Disneyland website! So as I look out my window and see the snow barreling down I have hope that I might see green plants and sun soon.

When we are there in March it will be Food and Wine festival at DCA and we are anxiously awaiting those menus being released. B and I were just talking about it this morning. It will be his first Food and Wine at DCA and he is hoping there is some sort of sushi dish. I say yuck and hope there is a good mac and cheese dish. I went a couple years ago and there was a french onion mac and cheese that was so good!

We have decided not to make any reservations for any restaurants and either try for a walk up somewhere or just rely on counter service (which is awesome there) and Food and Wine for our meals.

Really there isn't much else to plan outside of knowing the hours for sure and that we will not plan on going to a park that has EMH to start our day since we don't have access to the early magic hours. Wow, so much less planning than WDW. Besides the fact that I am missing Epcot like crazy right now, I'm really looking forward to this March trip.

Also this with all these snow and cold day we have had a lot of school off and my April solo trip might be in jeopardy or shortened because our school might have us make up a day on Easter Monday, right in the middle of my trip. This makes me upset because it wasn't put on our calendars at all that it could be a snow weather make up day, but whatever...... Today I'll just focus on March.

Dreaming of Disneyland.....:)🆒

Nobia Williams

My son and I did not do the trail when we went. I see that we should have. Next time I won't skip it.
I have a purse like yours. I love it. I just bought another crossbody with another Disney design at a consignment store a few weeks ago. I love it to, and it was a lot cheaper, and it was new. It has a blue background and Mickey is wearing purple trousers.
You guys are having such a great trip! I personally, do not want it to end.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
My son and I did not do the trail when we went. I see that we should have. Next time I won't skip it.
I have a purse like yours. I love it. I just bought another crossbody with another Disney design at a consignment store a few weeks ago. I love it to, and it was a lot cheaper, and it was new. It has a blue background and Mickey is wearing purple trousers.
You guys are having such a great trip! I personally, do not want it to end.

I love the cross body purses from Vera Bradley. I have a few of them, I think I have the one you mentioned. They are just the right size for what I need to take to the parks and easy to wash.

I'm glad you are enjoying my report, don't worry there will be more in March!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom