2017 Movie Outlook

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
After Disney's unprecedented run in 2016 the outlook for 2017 looks promising. However with a (currently) smaller slate of movies with more reliance on franchises and sequels they might be facing an up hill battle against many studios for top spots.

Our known releases for Disney this year are:
  • Beauty and the Beast - March 17th, another live action remake but one that people are already very excited about
  • Born in China - April 21st, a DisneyNature movie which typically don't contribute much to the year end results
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - May 5th, a sequel to an unexpected Marvel hit
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - May 26th, the 5th in a series coming out after a giant run of delays
  • Cars 3 - June 16th, another Pixar sequel of a pretty well loved franchise
  • Thor: Ragnarok - November 3rd, one more Marvel sequel
  • Coco - November 22nd, maybe the only original of the year from Pixar
  • Star Wars: Episode VIII - December 15th, probably the only 100% guaranteed Billion dollar movie of the year
And we have one as of yet unknown release tentatively scheduled for July 28th that is simply listed as an Untitled Live Action Fairy-Tale. Disney will likely announce one or two other smaller releases for the year.

_________
Universal is already heavily promoting The Fate of the Furious, The Mummy, and Despicable Me 3.

20th Century Fox is betting on expanding their franchise holds with Logan, Alien: Covenant, War for the Planet of the Apes, and Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

Sony is hoping to pull out of it's 2 year mini-slump with Spider-Man: Homecoming and The Dark Tower.

Warner Brothers is likely going to be the competition to watch with Kong: Skull Island, Wonder Woman, Blade Runner 2049, and Justice League.

ElreTigo

After Disney's unprecedented run in 2016 the outlook for 2017 looks promising. However with a (currently) smaller slate of movies with more reliance on franchises and sequels they might be facing an up hill battle against many studios for top spots.

Our known releases for Disney this year are:
  • Beauty and the Beast - March 17th, another live action remake but one that people are already very excited about
  • Born in China - April 21st, a DisneyNature movie which typically don't contribute much to the year end results
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - May 5th, a sequel to an unexpected Marvel hit
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - May 26th, the 5th in a series coming out after a giant run of delays
  • Cars 3 - June 16th, another Pixar sequel of a pretty well loved franchise
  • Thor: Ragnarok - November 3rd, one more Marvel sequel
  • Coco - November 22nd, maybe the only original of the year from Pixar
  • Star Wars: Episode VIII - December 15th, probably the only 100% guaranteed Billion dollar movie of the year
And we have one as of yet unknown release tentatively scheduled for July 28th that is simply listed as an Untitled Live Action Fairy-Tale. Disney will likely announce one or two other smaller releases for the year.

_________
Universal is already heavily promoting The Fate of the Furious, The Mummy, and Despicable Me 3.

20th Century Fox is betting on expanding their franchise holds with Logan, Alien: Covenant, War for the Planet of the Apes, and Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

Sony is hoping to pull out of it's 2 year mini-slump with Spider-Man: Homecoming and The Dark Tower.

Warner Brothers is likely going to be the competition to watch with Kong: Skull Island, Wonder Woman, Blade Runner 2049, and Justice League.
For Sony, I'm just not seeing Spider-Man Homecoming being nearly as big of a hit as they are hoping for. Maybe the Iron Man presence will give it a boost and prove me wrong. But despite how good this movie is in quality, many people (me included) are burned out on Spidey reboots. The main villain, though being played by an excellent actor, isn't generating near the excitement of former superhero arch-nemesis'. The whole premise seems so 'been-there, done that' by now, that it all just feels stale. Like I said, I could be completely wrong, as Tony Stark may be just the medicine this film needs to lift the web-slinger on the box-office chart.

Justice League: That's a tough one. In theory, it should be one of the top contenders this year. But after the mediocre reactions behind Batman vs Superman...I dunno what to expect. Had BvS been better received by fans than it was, then I'd guess JLA to take the #2 or #3 spot for 2017. But as it stands, with many feeling like BvS left a bad flavor...it's anybody's guess how this year will go for the franchise.

Kong, Wonder Woman...both look great. Not sure how much $$$ Kong can reel in after just a decade+ after the Peter Jackson remake though.

Despicable Me movies are always a hit. The third installment should be no exception.

The Mummy: Too soon. We just had a Mummy series with even spin-off movies in the past decade or so. It should do good at the box-office, not spectacular.

Another potential surprise hit to keep your eye on for the Halloween season is the upcoming remake of Stephen King's 'It'. Is already generating quite the large following.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
For Sony, I'm just not seeing Spider-Man Homecoming being nearly as big of a hit as they are hoping for. Maybe the Iron Man presence will give it a boost and prove me wrong. But despite how good this movie is in quality, many people (me included) are burned out on Spidey reboots. The main villain, though being played by an excellent actor, isn't generating near the excitement of former superhero arch-nemesis'. The whole premise seems so 'been-there, done that' by now, that it all just feels stale. Like I said, I could be completely wrong, as Tony Stark may be just the medicine this film needs to lift the web-slinger on the box-office chart.

Justice League: That's a tough one. In theory, it should be one of the top contenders this year. But after the mediocre reactions behind Batman vs Superman...I dunno what to expect. Had BvS been better received by fans than it was, then I'd guess JLA to take the #2 or #3 spot for 2017. But as it stands, with many feeling like BvS left a bad flavor...it's anybody's guess how this year will go for the franchise.

Kong, Wonder Woman...both look great. Not sure how much $$$ Kong can reel in after just a decade+ after the Peter Jackson remake though.

Despicable Me movies are always a hit. The third installment should be no exception.

The Mummy: Too soon. We just had a Mummy series with even spin-off movies in the past decade or so. It should do good at the box-office, not spectacular.

Another potential surprise hit to keep your eye on for the Halloween season is the upcoming remake of Stephen King's 'It'. Is already generating quite the large following.

This "new" new Spider-Man benefits quite a bit from people being unaware it's not a Marvel Studio movie and the RDJ bump can be worth a lot. They're also forgoing an origin story which frees up a lot of narrative time. I think the market that is burnt out on Spider-Man has replacement with the market I'm in as a person that's never cared about Spider-Man (or specifically in my case never even seen a Spider-Man movie in the theater) but is going along because it's MCU. I expect it will do on with the previous run of The Amazing Spider-Man movies.

With the DCEU it's a hard guess, but even with such harsh reactions both 2016 releases ended up in the top 10 world wide and domestic, 1.6 billion combined total. They're early enough in the game to fix their missteps and have an even better go of it this year if they get to the right crowd.

doctornick

This "new" new Spider-Man benefits quite a bit from people being unaware it's not a Marvel Studio movie and the RDJ bump can be worth a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean by this: it is a Marvel Studios film, being produced by them and part of the MCU. It's just being financed and distributed by Sony as opposed to Disney. But the quality control should be managed by Feige and the Marvel Studios folks.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
I'm not sure what you mean by this: it is a Marvel Studios film, being produced by them and part of the MCU. It's just being financed and distributed by Sony as opposed to Disney. But the quality control should be managed by Feige and the Marvel Studios folks.
It's an MCU movie, in quasi-co-production (on paper) with the Marvel Studios but Sony still has control of the character and the movie will be fully distributed and produced as a Sony brand product. I'm sure it likely will feature the Marvel Studios logos along with the Sony logos. Feige is a producer on the film as the representative of creative control for the MCU, which gives him massive power. Because Sony is the one that financed it at the end of the day that movie it's not going to count toward any of Marvel Studios' (or Disney's) box office returns.

Princess Leia

These are the top 10 domestic gross films as of May 8th (bolded are Disney films)
  1. Beauty and the Beast- $487,594,615
  2. Logan- $225,080,201 (Fox)
  3. The Fate of the Furious- $207,136,495 (Uni.)
  4. The LEGO Batman Movie- $174,747,788 (WB)
  5. Get Out- $173,845,510 (Uni)-
  6. Kong: Skull Island- $165,792,080 (WB)
  7. The Boss Baby- $156,735,525 (Fox)
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2- $145,049,000
  9. Split- $138,141,585 (Uni)
  10. 50 Shades Darker- $138,141,585 (Uni)
Born in China has grossed $10,933,911 domestically. It's looking like it's international gross will pass both Bears and Monkey Kingdom.

The test for Guardians will happen when Alien: Covenant comes out in 2 weeks. King Arthur does come out this weekend, but I'm guessing it will have to settle for second or third place at the box office.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom