2020-Gaming discussion

Mike S

The only time I can give an inch of forgiveness to piracy is if there’s absolutely no legitimate way to buy a certain game from a company anymore and otherwise the game is lost to time and retro collectors that charge through the nose for whatever copies are out there. For the majority of Nintendo’s popular games and franchises this isn’t the case.

Sharon&Susan

Is this pirate site loveroms? If so that explains a lot. I know pirating is illegal and all that, but it's the cheapest and sometimes only way I could play these classic games. I can't buy an old n64, an old tv and some old games and hook it all up, the final price would be way too expensive. And if I get a rom, and end up not liking the game, it would feel like less of a waste of my time and money than if I had bought it. Not to mention buying these games, some of them come from scalpers, so in the end you're supporting the scalper who kept his game in mint condition, and not the Developers who worked on the game.
I think it was EmuParadise

Mike S

Well, Doom Eternal looks great. Those teases at Bethesda better announce a Switch version in the future. You can’t leave us hanging with only the first game when you said how happy you were with the sales of your games on Switch.

Edit: that didn’t take long at all :happy:

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Going back to emulation, If emulation is mostly being used for “archival” purposes like playing the Famicom Fire Emblem games in English or play licensed games that’ll never be rereleased, then why are the most downloaded ROMs on any site dedicated to this type of thing always games that you can buy legally. And no, all you piartes out there, stealing back from people who stole from you is not a morally bad thing to do, no matter how you make it out to be. And no, Nintendo is not going to make a free streaming service on PC with every game that anyone has ever released on their platform. It’s bad for business, you are not morally obliged to own such games, and it’d be impossible to get the rights for every game that’s been made even if Nintendo had the finances of the richest country in the world, it’d be impossible to do so.

And yes, Pirates this isn’t going to completely kill off emulation, but this will massively hurt the emulation scene while only helping Nintendo in the long run.

erasure fan1

But people are calling out Nintendo for this, how they are wrong to get their copyrighted material pirated for no profit. Why? Why can't Nintendo protect their properties? Why do people feel entitled to take something for free? For example you can buy the legal rom of Super Metroid from Nintendo for under 8 bucks, is 8 bucks going to bankrupt you? I fail to see a rational conclusion from anyone as to why the old game roms should be given away for free other than people don't want to pay for them.
People call out nintendo because of how they do things. I truly believe that if nintendo made their games available more, people would buy them. Look at the nes mini. People were throwing money at nintendo, but they didn't care. They ended up making another wave to save some face, but it still wasn't near enough. Yes, there are lots who pirate things so they don't have to pay. But many people, the majority of people I know, do it so they can play a game they have no other way of playing. Also look at their streaming/lets play policies. They only gain by letting people play and showcase their products, but they have to be tools about it. Nintendo should get flack for how they act sometimes in my opinion. So far the only one who seems to get it in regards to their back catalog is Microsoft. Its obvious why nintendo does it, they think they are protecting their brand. When in reality, they are hurting it.

Sharon&Susan

People call out nintendo because of how they do things. I truly believe that if nintendo made their games available more, people would buy them. Look at the nes mini. People were throwing money at nintendo, but they didn't care. They ended up making another wave to save some face, but it still wasn't near enough. Yes, there are lots who pirate things so they don't have to pay. But many people, the majority of people I know, do it so they can play a game they have no other way of playing. Also look at their streaming/lets play policies. They only gain by letting people play and showcase their products, but they have to be tools about it. Nintendo should get flack for how they act sometimes in my opinion. So far the only one who seems to get it in regards to their back catalog is Microsoft. Its obvious why nintendo does it, they think they are protecting their brand. When in reality, they are hurting it.

Every ROM site I’ve checked the No. 1 game is Mario with nearly three times the downloads of everything else on the site. It doesn’t matter what you and your friends do, people download games that are easily available from Nintendo. Being “free publicity” doesn’t fly in court. If Warner Bros. released a new Harry Potter movie where it was just the characters reacting to the first 30 minutes of The First Purge without Comcast’s permission, do you think they wouldn’t sue Warner Bros., because it was “free publicity”. And even if a players different inputs would make it transformative there’s still the problem of using Nintendo’s copyrighted music and cutscenes without any transformation whatsoever. And no yelling over something does not make it transformative, let’s players should reflect on their flagrant disregard of copyright law and should see that making let’s plays are a privilege not a right, the copyright owners have the right to sue.

Let’s not forget the recent drama about Broomstick gaming and IGN plagiarizing him. He got a lot of free publicity and his sub count quadrupled, does that make what that writer do right, because he got free publicity?

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster

I have addressed the issue of emulation on other avenues and don't feel like discussing it any longer but since I did indeed bring it up here I shall offer my opinions about the subject.

First, piracy is wrong and no excuse will convince me otherwise. Piracy ruins lives.

Second, the excuse you need older televisions to run older hardware is complete bullcrap, there are a myriad of videos online to inexpensively get things working on modern televisions, if you cannot find these answers you truly are not looking.

Third, its easy to patch a fan translation on a Japan only title using original cartridges, again Google is your friend. CD based games require an ISO dump but if you own the original CD, I see no harm applying a translation patch.

Fourth, I honestly believe Nintendo miss judged the NES/SNES classic and how popular they would become. In my area's both are in stock and plentiful right now and have been for month, if you want one you can get one and as long as they are sitting it appears people who wanted one got one. Nintendo does not make junk, ( With the exception of the Virtual Boy...), and I believe people knew a Nintendo produced classic system was going to be better than the horrible Genesis/Atari systems At Games makes. Although I'm guilty of selling these systems for profit, you don't need to buy them online over retail. And thats good for Nintendo.

Fifth, I hope Nintendo sues the pants off everyone who hosts their roms. Then I hope they go after the people who downloaded them. Why? Because its stealing. I have a huge collection of classic games I paid for, why can I pay for them and others cannot? If you can;t afford it you need to find another hobby. No seriously. I paid $300 for the supposed "rare" and great Panzer Dragoon Saga and the game is complete crap. I lost $300 on that one and it still sits in my collection gathering dust. But I never felt the need to steal it online, I bought it even though it turned out to be a waste of money I really don't care. Don't get me wrong, there is no way I'm paying thousands of dollars for games but there is also no way I'm stealing a rom just to play a game. Even if its not for sale anymore. If its not for sale chances are there is a reason why.

Sixth, think about it this way. What if you made a quick, easy, fun game for modern phones and released it for a small fee, but someone cracked it and is now giving it away for free. Thats piracy in its purest form and I know I would get lawyers involved to protect my property. Why can't Nintendo do the same? Those games people are stealing cost time and money to make.

Sorry but I have no love lost for the emulation crowd who think its ok to steal games online. Again, if you think roms/warez are ok just put a link to your favorite site in this thread of any thread on any gaming forum, see how long before you get permabanned. Why do you think that is?

Ask yourself that question.

erasure fan1

I have addressed the issue of emulation on other avenues and don't feel like discussing it any longer but since I did indeed bring it up here I shall offer my opinions about the subject.

First, piracy is wrong and no excuse will convince me otherwise. Piracy ruins lives.

Second, the excuse you need older televisions to run older hardware is complete bullcrap, there are a myriad of videos online to inexpensively get things working on modern televisions, if you cannot find these answers you truly are not looking.

Third, its easy to patch a fan translation on a Japan only title using original cartridges, again Google is your friend. CD based games require an ISO dump but if you own the original CD, I see no harm applying a translation patch.

Fourth, I honestly believe Nintendo miss judged the NES/SNES classic and how popular they would become. In my area's both are in stock and plentiful right now and have been for month, if you want one you can get one and as long as they are sitting it appears people who wanted one got one. Nintendo does not make junk, ( With the exception of the Virtual Boy...), and I believe people knew a Nintendo produced classic system was going to be better than the horrible Genesis/Atari systems At Games makes. Although I'm guilty of selling these systems for profit, you don't need to buy them online over retail. And thats good for Nintendo.

Fifth, I hope Nintendo sues the pants off everyone who hosts their roms. Then I hope they go after the people who downloaded them. Why? Because its stealing. I have a huge collection of classic games I paid for, why can I pay for them and others cannot? If you can;t afford it you need to find another hobby. No seriously. I paid $300 for the supposed "rare" and great Panzer Dragoon Saga and the game is complete crap. I lost $300 on that one and it still sits in my collection gathering dust. But I never felt the need to steal it online, I bought it even though it turned out to be a waste of money I really don't care. Don't get me wrong, there is no way I'm paying thousands of dollars for games but there is also no way I'm stealing a rom just to play a game. Even if its not for sale anymore. If its not for sale chances are there is a reason why.

Sixth, think about it this way. What if you made a quick, easy, fun game for modern phones and released it for a small fee, but someone cracked it and is now giving it away for free. Thats piracy in its purest form and I know I would get lawyers involved to protect my property. Why can't Nintendo do the same? Those games people are stealing cost time and money to make.

Sorry but I have no love lost for the emulation crowd who think its ok to steal games online. Again, if you think roms/warez are ok just put a link to your favorite site in this thread of any thread on any gaming forum, see how long before you get permabanned. Why do you think that is?

Ask yourself that question.
I don't need to ask myself that question because I agree about emulation. I have every sysytem hooked up and running from atari 7800 to xbox one. Yes I have a turbo grafix 16 and sega master system as well. My collection of games is in the thousands. And I disagree about panzer dragoon saga;), of course I got it when it came out, not $300. My comments are more the why people are hating on nintendo over emulation. I have friends who stream, not roms, who have content taken down because of nintendo. Nintendo needs to make their stuff more available. I think they new exactly what they were doing with the nes classic. They had no plans to make more until the fan outrage hit. They want to sell more virtual console games and the mini systems hinder that. By me, I have yet to see one in a store, still. You will never stop piracy. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try but at the same time, focus on the people who want to give you money. The emulation crowd in no way hurt nes mini sales. Give the masses what they want and you'll be fine. Otherwise you could find yourself another sega, or atari.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Ah the Sega Saturn... collecting for the system has been a bit of a nightmare for me since all the really good games are so expensive >.<

Sharon&Susan

Nintendo needs to make their stuff more available. I think they new exactly what they were doing with the nes classic. They had no plans to make more until the fan outrage hit. They want to sell more virtual console games and the mini systems hinder that. By me, I have yet to see one in a store, still.
Dude, there was just a massive restock. I just went into a local Best Buy and there was about 10 of them and in the last month or so I’ve seen at least 50 NES Classics and before this I had seen 0. In June the NES Classic was the best selling console, that’s how massive this restock has been.

Johnny Three-hats

Ah the Sega Saturn... collecting for the system has been a bit of a nightmare for me since all the really good games are so expensive >.<
Oh man, I just recently bought a Saturn. I love the stupid piece of junk like a son, but yeah, the games are sparse and expensive. I'd really like a copy of the European version of Deep Fear, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Until then, I've got my eyes on a copy of Mr. Bones. The system's library is small, but I love the weird, eclectic exclusives that never got ported onto anything else.

The fellow who sold me the Saturn told me a story about how a guy called him up in the morning asking if he had The Legend of Oasis for Saturn, which he did, and then in the evening when the store was closing up, the guy arrives from halfway across the state just to get that copy. Not much to do with anything, but I thought it was funny and wanted to relay that story.

erasure fan1

Dude, there was just a massive restock. I just went into a local Best Buy and there was about 10 of them and in the last month or so I’ve seen at least 50 NES Classics and before this I had seen 0. In June the NES Classic was the best selling console, that’s how massive this restock has been.
Thats great, except I was just in bestbuy, walmart, target, meijer and gamestop all in the last 2 days. How many nes minis were there you ask? ZERO! Look, I get it, they have restocked. But its obviously not enough yet and the point was more they weren't going to restock, until the fans turned and they started getting bad press. Nintendo thinks stopping emulation is going to help their sales. But the answer is that it won't help at all. The mini is proof positive of that. Emulation was all over the place, but people were still throwing money at them.

Sharon&Susan

Thats great, except I was just in bestbuy, walmart, target, meijer and gamestop all in the last 2 days. How many nes minis were there you ask? ZERO! Look, I get it, they have restocked. But its obviously not enough yet and the point was more they weren't going to restock, until the fans turned and they started getting bad press. Nintendo thinks stopping emulation is going to help their sales. But the answer is that it won't help at all. The mini is proof positive of that. Emulation was all over the place, but people were still throwing money at them.

Maybe it’s a regional thing? I’ve been to 7 stores last month and all but 1 has had an excess stock of them (6-12 units per store) And obviously the restock has been somewhat successful if it sold more units than any other console in June.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

So your argument is because Nintendo isnt releasing all of their older games right this second, it's okay for people to pirate them?

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
wow.jpg

First time I've seen Fortnite surrender the top spot on Twitch in a long time. Had the most viewers on my channel ever last night, going to start up again soon.

Its nice having a wife who brings home the bacon so I can game all day.

erasure fan1

So your argument is because Nintendo isnt releasing all of their older games right this second, it's okay for people to pirate them?
First off, I never said it was OK. And 2nd they have no plan to make a virtual console for switch, if you want the games, options are limited. Last I read they are working on a xbox game pass type sytem for them. If you read my posts, my point is nintendo should just focus on giving their fans the content they want instead of worrying about emulation. Be more consumer friendly. I would wager a guess that a whole lot of people in the emulation crowd bought nes minis too. @Jimmy Thick said if he wants a game, he gets it legally by spending whatever it takes. Guess what, they hate that too because like emulation, they see zero dollars from it. The difference is they can't legally stop it. The music industry didn't die because of sites like napster. Its all cause and effect. It's like Disney, as long as the original cuts of star wars aren't available, people will pirate it. People want to give you money, let them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom