2015 Sounds Like Summer Concert Series

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I would much rather see 1/8th of the original band that was popular 40 years ago toddle around the stage with a random cast of musicians to play their 3 hits than to see a cover band play the music of an iconic band who's greatest hits catalog would make an excellent 3 hour set.

bethymouse

Sorry if anyone misunderstood my point which was: If they can get bands for food and wine and flower and garden festivals, then why not for summer fling? I'm not talking about Paul McCartney or Aerosmith or some hugely and currently popular band, but personally, I'd rather see a real band from the past like Earth Wind and Fire than a Tom Petty wanna be cover band. But maybe that's just me.
I agree 100%.:D

COProgressFan

This is indeed a nice summer event at Epcot.

But just an FYI this is the 10th year for this event and many of us suspect it could be the last.

It's pretty unusual for Disney to do something like this for so long.

I hope that's not the case, but with the way things go in today's WDW, its very possible that any entertainment can be cut at any time.

Historically, even before the Sounds like Summer series, there was usually a summer entertainment act at the America Gardens theater. I loved the Blast! shows they ran for a few years in the early 2000s. As long as they never bring back that godawful Barbie show from the 90s, I'm good!!!

fillerup

I hope that's not the case, but with the way things go in today's WDW, its very possible that any entertainment can be cut at any time.

Historically, even before the Sounds like Summer series, there was usually a summer entertainment act at the America Gardens theater. I loved the Blast! shows they ran for a few years in the early 2000s. As long as they never bring back that godawful Barbie show from the 90s, I'm good!!!

Yes, Blast was fun. And you probably remember that either before or after Blast - I think after - they had the Irish dance troupe for a year or two.

awilliams4

Seen several of these. Journey so far was the best. Seen the Bee Gees, Billy Joel and will see Boston this year. The worst was the Janet Jackson tribute band...we just skipped it.

HDS

As a person in a 80s tribute band, the negativeness make me sad. Cover bands like The Mad T Party in DCA are well loved. Why so down on tribute bands? A lot of the real bands sound like shadows of their former selves and are phoning it in with half step\whole step and even 2 whole steps down tuning (I'm looking at you Phil Collins). These bands are an added atmosphere to your park enjoyment. Hell I would LOVE to play that stage!

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I would much rather see 1/8th of the original band that was popular 40 years ago toddle around the stage with a random cast of musicians to play their 3 hits than to see a cover band play the music of an iconic band who's greatest hits catalog would make an excellent 3 hour set.
See I am the opposite, why would you want to see a shell of a band that was once great. Its sad really, like Smashing Pumpkins for example or Guns and Roses. Cover bands get a bad rap, IMO its much more difficult to cover a band accurately then one believes.

Scooter

As a person in a 80s tribute band, the negativeness make me sad. Cover bands like The Mad T Party in DCA are well loved. Why so down on tribute bands? A lot of the real bands sound like shadows of their former selves and are phoning it in with half step\whole step and even 2 whole steps down tuning (I'm looking at you Phil Collins). These bands are an added atmosphere to your park enjoyment. Hell I would LOVE to play that stage!
Please don't feel offended. I Love a good cover band. British Invasion in The United Kingdom pavillion was always a must see when I was in Epcot. Truth is though, I'm an autograph collector and have collected many autographs at events like Epcot has. I go to a ribfest concert every year where I live and have collected the autographs of the likes of Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Barbara Mandrell, Peter Frampton, John Prine and many others. And I know while these aren't "Big names" to some people, they are people I grew up listening to so to get the chance to meet them in person is a thrill to me. While nothing impresses like a good cover band, I have seen a few not so good cover bands and while I enjoy all kinds of good music, nothing makes me happier than meeting a celebrity musician...even the ones that aren't as popular as they once were, it's important to me, if I get the chance, to tell them personally how they made an impression on me and cheered me up while I went through some troubling teenage times. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here. Sometimes I struggle trying to put my thoughts into words.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom