2013 College Football Season

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
I didn't see a catch-all CFB thread around here, so I figure I'd start one. The 2013 season starts next week (FINALLY!) so give a shout out to your teams, smack talk some rivals, give some predictions, whatever. Here's the initial AP Top 25:

1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Oregon
4 Stanford
5 Georgia
6 South Carolina
7 Texas A&M
8 Clemson
9 Louisville
10 Florida
11 Florida State
12 LSU
13 Oklahoma State
14 Notre Dame
15 Texas
16 Oklahoma
17 Michigan
18 Nebraska
19 Boise State
20 TCU
21 UCLA
22 Northwestern
23 Wisconsin
24 USC
25 Oregon State

My Dawgs open at #8 Clemson... at night in the other death valley... I've got faith in them but it's going to be a battle. I predict a shoot-out with the team with the final possession winning the game. Our second game is at home against #6 South Carolina, and our fourth will be against #12 LSU at home. Talk about murders row, we'll be lucky to make it out of that stretch 2-2 (that includes the gimme game with North Texas).

Megalodumb

Tennessee Vols fan here!

We're expected to go 9 - 5. (That's 9 head coaches in the next 5 seasons).

What can I say? We gotta start somewhere.

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
Tennessee Vols fan here!

We're expected to go 9 - 5. (That's 9 head coaches in the next 5 seasons).

What can I say? We gotta start somewhere.
I think y'all will surprise people this year, but that schedule is brutal. The SEC's toughest teams (Bama, UGA, UF, and USCe) AND @Oregon... it's going to be rough.

MaxsDad

I was looking forward to 8/31 at 8pm, Dawg Fan. But now have to work then. I am thankful for two things: 1. DVR. and 2. I leave the next day for WDW.

I do not know how much we will score, but I suspect ya'll will be able to shred our secondary. We are thin there. The front 7 should be improved. On offense, I am a little concerned for the running game when the talk out of fall camp is running back by committee. Same thing with the line. If there is "good competition" for 5 spots, that means nobody is exceptionally good. At WR, we are loaded.

It is just good that football season is finally back. And it is great that this old rivalry is being played again!

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
Our secondary is a big question mark because we lost a lot of talent (most to the draft, another to suspension for this game). I think that's where the Tigers will hit us hard. However, if Murray comes out and plays like he did in th SEC Championship game last year, I think we have a good shot of winning.

I too am glad this rivalry is on again. Back when conference realignment was going on, I was hoping that Clemson would jump to the SEC, but apparently South Carolina blocks that. I'd gladly drop the nerd squad at GA Tech for Clemson... Tech hasn't been competitive in years.

jw24

Being a Rutgers fan, my expectations for any national champion hopes are extremely low. Louisville is expected to dominate and run away with the American Athletic Conference for the most part. Defense should be fine. Offense, well, Gary Nova needs to stop turning the ball over so much! (He's even worse than Rex Grossman with his errant throws!) 7-8 wins, I think. Still, I'm expecting the SEC Empire to reign supreme again. 'Bama is the heavy favorite and I expect them to do the three peat.

acishere

Being a Rutgers fan, my expectations for any national champion hopes are extremely low. Louisville is expected to dominate and run away with the American Athletic Conference for the most part. Defense should be fine. Offense, well, Gary Nova needs to stop turning the ball over so much! (He's even worse than Rex Grossman with his errant throws!) 7-8 wins, I think. Still, I'm expecting the SEC Empire to reign supreme again. 'Bama is the heavy favorite and I expect them to do the three peat.
I lost any confidence I had in Gary Nova when I went to the final home game last season. They just fell apart spectacularly. I do hope we can at least leave the division on a high note, because we are going to get clobbered in the Big 10.

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
'Bama is the heavy favorite and I expect them to do the three peat.
Don't be so quick to crown them, the SEC is going to be an all out brawl this year. You've got Bama, LSU, UGA, UF, USCe, and TA&M (pending Manziel-Gate) all fighting for the crown, the unknowns in Tennessee, Arky, and UK (GASP! I actually don't know what to make of them this year), and an up-and-comer in Ole Miss. Bama does have the best chance to come out unscathed, but I highly doubt they do.

jw24

The SEC is always tough but I don't trust Georgia considering that Aaron Murray chokes in big games, Florida doesn't have the offense to compete, South Carolina have the future #1 pick in Clowney but do they have enough to compete with 'Bama in the SEC title game? Probably not. A&M will compete but I'm sure Alabama has extra motivation of revenge and I'm a believer in the sophomore slump for Manziel if he's eligible because theoretically, defenses will know better how to adjust against him. LSU, well, I'm not sold that Mettenberger can beat 'Bama and in that game, 'Bama will make Mettenberger beat them. On paper, Bama has the easiest schedule out of all the SEC teams in my view.

I lost any confidence I had in Gary Nova when I went to the final home game last season. They just fell apart spectacularly. I do hope we can at least leave the division on a high note, because we are going to get clobbered in the Big 10.

Agreed.

Dad 2 M & M

Don't be so quick to crown them, the SEC is going to be an all out brawl this year. You've got Bama, LSU, UGA, UF, USCe, and TA&M (pending Manziel-Gate) all fighting for the crown, the unknowns in Tennessee, Arky, and UK (GASP! I actually don't know what to make of them this year), and an up-and-comer in Ole Miss. Bama does have the best chance to come out unscathed, but I highly doubt they do.
Refresh my memory...its been awhile since Bama came out unscathed...2009?
The SEC is always tough but I don't trust Georgia considering that Aaron Murray chokes in big games, Florida doesn't have the offense to compete, South Carolina have the future #1 pick in Clowney but do they have enough to compete with 'Bama in the SEC title game? Probably not. A&M will compete but I'm sure Alabama has extra motivation of revenge and I'm a believer in the sophomore slump for Manziel if he's eligible because theoretically, defenses will know better how to adjust against him. LSU, well, I'm not sold that Mettenberger can beat 'Bama and in that game, 'Bama will make Mettenberger beat them. On paper, Bama has the easiest schedule out of all the SEC teams in my view.

Murray wasn't the reason Georgia lost to Bama...Bobo had more to do with it than him. In hindsight, Olgetree's block and return of that FG was what doomed GA. GA's defense spent about a quarter straight on the filed, prior to and just after that block....they were gassed. With that said, it is too easy to lose in this state!! See local heroes Dominique, Chipper, and Mark Richt.....

Dad 2 M & M

Our secondary is a big question mark because we lost a lot of talent (most to the draft, another to suspension for this game). I think that's where the Tigers will hit us hard. However, if Murray comes out and plays like he did in th SEC Championship game last year, I think we have a good shot of winning.

I too am glad this rivalry is on again. Back when conference realignment was going on, I was hoping that Clemson would jump to the SEC, but apparently South Carolina blocks that. I'd gladly drop the nerd squad at GA Tech for Clemson... Tech hasn't been competitive in years.
Lost opportunity the last two years with that easy schedule.....couldn't even COMPETE with Boise and the old ball coach has his way each year....the program smells of Dooley....he is still pulling strings in the background. Leave GA and he is considered another Bobby .

GeoDonJac34

PSU fan here. Obviously no bowl game for us. Returning a lot of offense except QB. Lack of depth defensively in front seven is a concern. Scholarship limits are hurting. I would love nine wins and it might be possible if one of the QBs plays well. Christian Hackenberg is really good, but he is a true freshmen. I have a lot of faith in coach O'brien. I think PSU could become a force again down the road if he sticks around. Eight wins last year was amazing, especially after a horrible start.

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
The week is finally here. I plan on watching both SEC matchups on Thursday night (North Carolina @ South Carolina followed by Ole Miss @ Vandy) I'll be channel flipping all day Saturday.

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
^ Have you seen the 2014 SEC schedule? We get LSU at home this year, but we don't play @LSU in 2014. They're really messing up the SEC schedule lately.

I'll be channel flipping between UGA and the LSU game this weekend, pulling for the SEC in that one. Should be a good game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom