2007 Creative Media Contest Nomination Thread

Legacy

Original Poster
Alright... here is the attempt.

The Creative Media contest will be focused on those individuals who want to try their hand at original graphic designs. They can be created using Photoshop, Corel, MS Paint, whatever is available and willing to be used by the entrant. Do to the nature of creative media, with it being longer to develop than just taking a picture, the contest will naturally be one to two weeks longer than the photo contest, and will have fewer overall themes.

That is where you come in.

This thread is for the nominations of general themes or specific things associated with Disney that you would like to think creatively with. There will be two types of Creative Media contests:

WaltPaper contest will be the creation of a computer desktop wallpaper. The guidelines will be determined for each contest.

Ride Poster contest will be the creation of original "ride posters" like those found at the Magic Kingdom as you enter the park. These will, more often then not, focus on a specific attraction.

Feel free to submit as many nominations as wanted. However, be aware that the themes for each will not be announced in advanced. These contest are meant to focus on the creative aspects of the entrant, and so therefore will not need advance notice for the work. Think of it just like the real world.

Let's make it work this time.

TheOneVader

I think a guidemap cover contest would be cool, where you would design your own cover to any park's guidemap, or maybe a whole set.

Shaman

I think we should spread the word about this type of contest first...so the old participants can come back as well as bring in new people that might be interested.

I think it would be cool to have a wallpaper and ride poster for every ride and/or attraction at WDW.

That should keep us busy for a couple of years. :lookaroun

So I added a link to this thread in my sig...hopefully people will see it and click it....:D

DDuckFan130

I'll add a link as well...I won't participate because I don't know the first thing, but it'd be cool to see the entries :D

TheOneVader

I think we should spread the word about this type of contest first...so the old participants can come back as well as bring in new people that might be interested.

I think it would be cool to have a wallpaper and ride poster for every ride and/or attraction at WDW.

That should keep us busy for a couple of years. :lookaroun

So I added a link to this thread in my sig...hopefully people will see it and click it....:D

Making wallpapers and posters of rides would be really fun to do. I'm in if you make a topic. I'm interested in any contest that involves PhotoShopping photos, really.

Also, we should have Selective Colorization topics. What you do is take a color photo and make it black and white except for a certain part of it to make it stand out.

For example:

Original

And one of my favorites:

Original

I have some even cooler ones, but I wanna save them just in case we do have a contest where we do this. I can write a tutorial if you're interested (It's really easy).

Nemo14

Making wallpapers and posters of rides would be really fun to do. I'm in if you make a topic. I'm interested in any contest that involves PhotoShopping photos, really.

Also, we should have Selective Colorization topics. What you do is take a color photo and make it black and white except for a certain part of it to make it stand out.

For example:

Original

And one of my favorites:

Original

I have some even cooler ones, but I wanna save them just in case we do have a contest where we do this. I can write a tutorial if you're interested (It's really easy).
That's cool - what program did you use to do it?

Legacy

Original Poster
I'll take a tutorial. I could figure out a way to do it, but I doubt it would be as clean as your's though.

Just so everybody knows, the reason why I want to limit it to WaltPaper and Ride Poster contest is that more than other various photoshopping contest, those two do not rely on photographic sources. Wall papers and posters can be done without a single source photo. No offense to your idea Vader (as I do really like it), but it would put too much pressure on the photo itself.

I'm also contemplating doing "source photo" manipulating, like they do on Fark, where a photo is given and the participants to what they want with that photo.

If it appears that there is a large enough interest in this, I'll throw the first topic out (I already have a strong idea of what I want it to be). We will see what happens from there.

TheOneVader

I'll take a tutorial. I could figure out a way to do it, but I doubt it would be as clean as your's though.

I'll make a little tutorial in a little while and post it. But I'll warn you, it really isn't that "clean". All I do is make two layers of the same image. The bottom is grayscale and the top is color. I just erase the parts on the color layer that I want to be grayscale. You ned to have a steady hand, or be willing to undo and go back again and again (Which is what I have to do).Anyone who knows a thing or two about PhotoShop could do that easily from my brief description right there, but I'll still do a tutorial for those who don't know much PhotoShop. Also, for those of you who don't have PhotoShop, The Gimp is a good free alternative. There are some more good, free alternatives, too. Paint.net is one example. If anyoen knows of some more they want to share, that'll be great.

Just so everybody knows, the reason why I want to limit it to WaltPaper and Ride Poster contest is that more than other various photoshopping contest, those two do not rely on photographic sources. Wall papers and posters can be done without a single source photo. No offense to your idea Vader (as I do really like it), but it would put too much pressure on the photo itself.

Then instead of a contest, we should just have some regular old topics where we can show-off some images if you want, as well as teach the ones who don't know how to do it.

I'm also contemplating doing "source photo" manipulating, like they do on Fark, where a photo is given and the participants to what they want with that photo.

Eww, Fark. SomethingAwful Goons representing! Does anyone at WDWMagic have stairs in their house? (It's an inside joke) :lookaroun :lol:

If it appears that there is a large enough interest in this, I'll throw the first topic out (I already have a strong idea of what I want it to be). We will see what happens from there.

I've just started Fall Break and I'm already bored, so the faster you get a topic started and I can mess around in PhotoShop, the better. :lol:

Also, I just want to restate that I'd like to see a guidemap design contest.

Legacy

Original Poster
Then instead of a contest, we should just have some regular old topics where we can show-off some images if you want, as well as teach the ones who don't know how to do it.
I rather like the competition, because it encourages people to improve (I feel). We can still show stuff off... especially if a tutorial comes with it to help teach. But I think that can be seperate from the contest themselves.
Eww, Fark. SomethingAwful Goons representing! Does anyone at WDWMagic have stairs in their house? (It's an inside joke) :lookaroun :lol:
:lol: I don't post on either, but occassionally browse both. I mentioned Fark only because the name is a tad bit more recognizable.
I've just started Fall Break and I'm already bored, so the faster you get a topic started and I can mess around in PhotoShop, the better. :lol:

Also, I just want to restate that I'd like to see a guidemap design contest.
Alright... I'll throw the topic up at the beginning of next week. We already appear to have a small group willing to go for it. But let people know. The more participants, the more fun.

Nemo14

I'll make a little tutorial in a little while and post it. But I'll warn you, it really isn't that "clean". All I do is make two layers of the same image. The bottom is grayscale and the top is color. I just erase the parts on the color layer that I want to be grayscale. You ned to have a steady hand, or be willing to undo and go back again and again (Which is what I have to do).Anyone who knows a thing or two about PhotoShop could do that easily from my brief description right there, but I'll still do a tutorial for those who don't know much PhotoShop. Also, for those of you who don't have PhotoShop, The Gimp is a good free alternative. There are some more good, free alternatives, too. Paint.net is one example. If anyoen knows of some more they want to share, that'll be great.

Just tried it in PhotoHouse and had moderate success. Thanks for the suggestions.:)

TheOneVader

Alright, here's my tutorial for selective color photos:

Step 1.
Select an image to use. You'll discover that some pictures work better than others with this technique. I'm going to use the Splash Mountain image I showed earlier because it's very easy to apply this technique to. So first, open up your image. I will be using Adobe PhotoShop CS2, so if you have different software, you may not be able to follow this tutorial exactly (Most versions of PhotoShop should be able to follow it almsot exactly).
screen1.jpg

Step 2.
Select the entire canvas (Ctrl+A) and then select copy (Ctrl+C).
screen2.jpg

Step 3.
Go up to Image --> Mode --> Grayscale. This will change the image into a grayscale image.
screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg

Step 4.
Now immediately go back up to Image --> Mode, but this time select RGB Color. This will change your image back into RGB mode, but it will still be in grayscale.

Step 5.
Now you're going to use the image we copied back in step 2. In a new layer, select paste from the edit menu or simply press Ctrl+V. Now your canvas should be back to the way it was when we started.
screen1.jpg

Step 6.
Make a selection around the area you want the color to remain. Go up to Select --> Inverse. Press the delete key and now you've deleted most of the color of the picture. This step is optional, really. Delete the color areas you don't want in color however you want, but this way is nice and fast so you can concentrate on the small area you want there to be color in the finished product.
screen8.jpg

screen9.jpg

Step 7.
Now here's where you get down to the details and make only the object you want in color to be in color. Zoom in as far as you need and use the eraser tool. This is easier if you have a tablet, but still simple with a mouse. Keep your hand steady, and don't get too mad if you need to select undo more than a few times and try again.
screen10.jpg

screen11.jpg

Darn, see what I mean? You may mess up and erase some parts you want in color, but that's what the undo command is for.

And voila! You're done! Now you can add some finishing touches, like a simple border or watermark, and email it to your friends and family who will be amazed at your awesome PhotoShop skills.

SplashMtn_SelectiveColor_TH.jpg

nibblesandbits

For example:

Original

And one of my favorites:

Original

I love photos like that. Some of my favorites.

brkgnews

Here are just a few theme nominations (some of them could work for both posters or waltpapers).

Epcot's 25th
The original EPCOT
Splish splash (any water experience... fountains, water rides, rainy day, etc)
Monorail
Omnimovers
Pleasure Island
Main Street USA
Patriotic (Hall of Prez, American Adventure, etc)
Extinct Attractions
Pyrotechnics

Just a few ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom