20 years of Splash Mountain

GeneralKnowledge

Original Poster
Today, Disney World is celebrating 20 years of Splash Mountain. What they should be celebrating is 20 years of being the worlds most visited theme park without adding a single E ticket. How long do you think they can keep up that record?

DisneyWall-E

God this makes me feel old. I remember when they were building this ride. But I have to agree, 20 years is a long long time for not having a new E ticket ride. Still love the Magic Kingdom tho. Just wish I could love it more.

afar28

Yay Happy Birthday Splash! IMO, they HAVE to revamp certain elements of the ride. Many of the animatronics don't work, Brer Rabbits face isn't moving with the words, ect. I know this has been discussed on the forums quite a bit, but it has to be revamped.

afar28

Well the funny thing about them celebrating Splash Mountain is that it is probably in the sorriest state of any WDW attraction. And with the state of Countdown to Extinction I mean, Dinosaur, that is saying a lot.
I wouldnt say the WORST state. I mean, it is still a fun ride.

MerlinTheGoat

Splash Mountain is up there with my top 5 favorite theme park attractions of all time (up there with Pirates of the Caribbean in DL Paris as well as original Imagination, Horizons, and Epcot's other classics). I remember when it was being built as well. It was one hell of an awesome experience when I first rode it. And when in working order, it still holds up to this day. Truly wonderful ride with a great mix of charm, impressive (for the time) amounts of animatronics, detail, and even a thrill factor. It's also rather noteworthy for being one of the few times Disney World got a clone of a major Disneyland attraction that ended up surpassing the original. IMO anyways, though I'm thinking most people will agree.

But yes it's in horrible shape, needs to go down for a refurb ASAP. Most if not all the animatronics are only performing at a fraction of their intended motion. Some barely move at all anymore (such as Brer Bear in the laughing place with the beehive on his nose). Not to mention the broken water features in the underground section and rather messy lighting. The entire place could use repainting as well, similar to what they did to Big Thunder recently. Just needs a great cleanup overall. The ride is still incredibly fun and it's still a favorite, but it's incredibly disappointing that it's allowed to be run in the state it's in. It also rather stupid that the ride went down for maintenance about a year and a half ago and yet none of the broken elements were even addressed. The same issues were present before and after the ride went down, apparently one of the only things they did was to install lap bars. It also doesn't help that because there ARE so many elements in the ride that can break (and have broken), it makes it all the more blatantly clear that the ride needs serious and probably lengthy maintenance immediately.

Beholder

I love Splash! Great ride. It's been of my top 3-4 at MK since it opened. I could ride it over and over again for hours if they'd let me!

Nothing wrong, however, to want all the AA's/effects working. Its such a great attraction with all the wonderful detail and thought that went into it's design, it's a shame when it doesn't work.

And 20 years?!? Oh goodness. I'm ancient...

Kuhio

One of my favorite things about WDW's Splash Mountain is the fact that it gets me just-the-right-amount of wet.

It may not seem like a big deal, but I've been on many, many log flumes in my life, and it's rare to find that right balance. In comparison, TDL's Splash Mountain is so dry it barely feels like a flume, whereas DL's Splash Mountain always makes me drenched to the skin, whether I sit in the front, middle, or back, or in a full or nearly empty log.

Acolli18

Today, Disney World is celebrating 20 years of Splash Mountain. What they should be celebrating is 20 years of being the worlds most visited theme park without adding a single E ticket. How long do you think they can keep up that record?
In about two years that "record" will end, with the completion of the mine car rollercoaster in New Fantasyland...

COProgressFan

One of my favorite things about WDW's Splash Mountain is the fact that it gets me just-the-right-amount of wet.

It may not seem like a big deal, but I've been on many, many log flumes in my life, and it's rare to find that right balance. In comparison, TDL's Splash Mountain is so dry it barely feels like a flume, whereas DL's Splash Mountain always makes me drenched to the skin, whether I sit in the front, middle, or back, or in a full or nearly empty log.

Have they permanently turned off the water cannons from the main drop? You could get SOAKED from those, right when the ride started.

But agree with what you're saying, generally. I absolutely despise getting soaked on any ride (Kali at AK is the worse) because I usually don't enjoy walking around in soaking wet clothes the rest of the day.

Anyway, happy birthday Splash. Sorry you don't look so good for a 20 year old these days.

COProgressFan

In about two years that "record" will end, with the completion of the mine car rollercoaster in New Fantasyland...

By all accounts, the Mine Train coaster is a step above Barnstormer, and a step below Big Thunder. As such, even internally it is not considered an e-ticket by any means. It should be a fun ride, but it will be short, with minimal thrills and a couple very brief show scenes with stationary and "animated figures" (not animatronics).

A comparison between Splash Mountain, which is one of the most thrilling, detailed, and elaborate (not to mention AA heavy) attractions on property is quite a stretch.

There is a thread on this going on in the new Fantasyland section of the boards for more info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom