2 Parks, 1 Day SUCCESS

surfsupdon

Original Poster
Well I did it. First time to Universal since '99. It was fun!

Took a cab from Yacht Club, 40 bucks. Got there later because I had the 5K and Marathon Expo that morning. Got into Universal Studios at 11:15, paid 127 bucks--WOW. Literally no lines, only Rip Ride Rockit had lines. So I am sure I enjoyed rides/attractions even more because of the no lines.

Rode Mummy 3 times in a row, loved it very much. Very, very good ride.

Then did Simpsons--very lame, and pretty nonsesensical and all over the place. Back to the Future was a better ride for me.

Men in Black was a solid ride.

Then did Mummy again, and then again.

Then Twister and Shrek and ET. Twister pleasantly surprised me--I liked it. Shrek was okay, and ET was pretty neat (not how I remembered it when I was 12 years old). It was much better than I remembered.

Waited 30 minutes for Rip Ride Rockit--really really liked it. Very fun, and pretty long. Wanted to do it again but was worrried I wouldn't have enough time at Islands.

Then Mummy again, then I Love Lucy and walked over to Islands. It was 2:30. I did everything that I wanted to do--and sometimes more than once--in only about 3 hours.

Islands was more crowded but we used Single Rider Lines. Hulk was great, Spiderman was great, rode each 1 more time. Late lunch at Cafe 4--spaghetti and meatballs. Slice of pizza was decent. Better than at Disney.

Then was annoyed Dudley's was closed. But went on Jurassic Park 2 times--always loved that one, but so much was broken, lol. Ate some more at the JP Welcome Center and explored some trails. JP is a top 3 movie for me.

Then did Harry Potter!! Single line was 35 mins. WOW what a ride. I initially was bummed that it was a ride based on screens, but that quickly changed as the movement really picked up and the ride felt bonkers!! Things popping out at me in my face, incredible movements of the vehicle, just really, really well done. And I've never read the books or seen a HP movie. The ride was one of THE BEST I have ever been on. Ever. It was so good.

Then to the Dragons. Blue first, then Red. Lost my cellphone on Blue--whoops. It was a basic flipphone that whipped out of my pocket. The front desk was very helpful with courtesy calls, and filing a missing phone report. Well done.

It was now 6:30, I was bummed I lost my cell, so I left. I didn't do anything in Suess Landing. But I wanted to but was bummed I lost the phone. Planned to do Potter again, but just left the park.

40 bucks back to Yacht Club.

Was on my feet all day, first the 5K, then all day at Universal/Islands, but should have been resting for my half the next morning. No worry, still ran my best time sub 1:44.

So all in all, I had a great time at Universal/Islands. The initial price was a WOW (in a bad way), but I went on a lot of stuff many times. The parks looked great, food was good, and workers were friendly. I would not have gone back the next day thought--I felt I was "done," and was looking forward to getting back to Disney for Illuminations and a full day at the parks.

I had a good time, would do it again, but only if I went during a slow period. Crowds would make the day not as successful, and therefore I'd feel I didn't get my monies worth.

nepalostparks

Definitely a whirlwind tour!

We did the same thing on our last vacation - well, hitting the highlights of both parks. We were a group of 8... so we didn't make it as quickly around as you did, and certainly didn't see as much, but we did see everything we intended to.

Hopefully I'll get another chance soon to take the time and enjoy all the parks have to offer. The drawback of such a quick-paced visit is missing all of the little details.

And ya, sticker shock for a one day two park ticket is definitely there! Just like Disney, the more days you buy, the better the per day price is. But I just can't see myself doing more than 2 1/2 or 3 days at Universal.

surfsupdon

Original Poster
And ya, sticker shock for a one day two park ticket is definitely there! Just like Disney, the more days you buy, the better the per day price is. But I just can't see myself doing more than 2 1/2 or 3 days at Universal.

Yes, sticker shock was def there at the gate, but Disney tickets are high too.

But my perceived value at Disney is higher than at Universal.

I honestly felt that I was done for the day, and wouldn't have to return the next day. With my family, 2 days max. Whereas at Disney, even after many trips, I enjoy longer vacations. I like that Universal tickets get chesaper the more you buy....but I don't think I'd need excessive multi day tickets.

It was a fun park, well done, and so much better than my local Six Flags, Great Adventure. I would recommend Universal for sure.

Captain Chaos

Yes, sticker shock was def there at the gate, but Disney tickets are high too.

But my perceived value at Disney is higher than at Universal.

I honestly felt that I was done for the day, and wouldn't have to return the next day. With my family, 2 days max. Whereas at Disney, even after many trips, I enjoy longer vacations. I like that Universal tickets get chesaper the more you buy....but I don't think I'd need excessive multi day tickets.

It was a fun park, well done, and so much better than my local Six Flags, Great Adventure. I would recommend Universal for sure.

I took 3 days last year, 2 in IOA and 1 Universal, and I felt I still missed things in both parks, more in Universal since I only spent 1 day there.. Next trip I an spending at least 4 days there, cutting a day out of Disney....

disney fan 13

I took 3 days last year, 2 in IOA and 1 Universal, and I felt I still missed things in both parks, more in Universal since I only spent 1 day there.. Next trip I an spending at least 4 days there, cutting a day out of Disney....

When is that since you could encounter massive construction, I will be making a 1 day whirlwind tour of both parks in feb and spend 2 days in early June. ( hopefully there for the new entertainment

haveyoumetmark

I'm sure you can find a great deal online for tickets, $124 sounds extreme. Especially when a FL resident annual 2-park pass starts at $164. Glad to hear you had a good time, I felt much the same after I visited IOA/USF for the first time in years. IOA looks great, upkeep is amazing. USF could use some work - and it's getting it, but it takes time.

fosse76

Definitely a whirlwind tour!

It's not much more than one day at Disney with a park hopper, but it does seem pricey. I opted for an AP instead because I knew I would make at least one more visit before the end of the year (and I've made 6). I honestly think people in general should look at APs when considering visiting Universal and Disney.

**But I would not have paid for a taxi. The Mears shuttle is $18/person roundtrip and you can pick your return time. Obviously the more people going the less of a fincancial value it is, but for one o three people it's still chaeper than a taxi.

ParentsOf4

Rode Mummy 3 times in a row, loved it very much. Very, very good ride.

Then did Mummy again, and then again.

Hulk was great, Spiderman was great, rode each 1 more time.
When you originally posted your plans, you thought the Mummy and Spiderman were going to be exciting. I'm glad they lived up to your expectations. Both are excellent "experiences", more than just rides. They really are among the best theme park attractions in the world!

surfsupdon

Original Poster
Yes, Mummy and Spiderman really were great!! And Harry Potter was excellent, even for someone who has never read the books or scene the films.

I know I could have spent more time in both parks, of course, but I had my hot item list of must dos and I was able to hit them all, several times. Walking around Studios is a favorite too, I love the details and store fronts, little alleyways, and attention to detail there as well.

Great day, I reccomend a trip to Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom