2 parent 1 9 year old and sharing rides

haigcpa

Original Poster
For 2 passenger rides will we each be able to take her on a ride using switch? - meaning her and i go and then when we come back her and my wife go or do we need to get back in line. There are some rides each of us wouldn't mind missing but others we would both like to go on but not if we need to wait twice

Club Cooloholic

I thought ride switch was for when a child did not want to ride something, and one parent would then go ride by themselves while the other waited with the kid, then switched. So if your daughter was not going to ride it all, yeah I think you could then do a ride switch, but riding by yourself. Otherwise, you would need another kid with you that did not want to ride it for you to be able to do a rider switch where your daughter got to ride with each of you, while each parent takes a turn sitting out the ride with the other child.

Tuvalu

I thought ride switch was for when a child did not want to ride something, and one parent would then go ride by themselves while the other waited with the kid, then switched. So if your daughter was not going to ride it all, yeah I think you could then do a ride switch, but riding by yourself. Otherwise, you would need another kid with you that did not want to ride it for you to be able to do a rider switch where your daughter got to ride with each of you, while each parent takes a turn sitting out the ride with the other child.
Rider switch is for children who CANNOT ride something (due to age, height or disability.) It is not supposed to be used for able-bodied children who don’t want to ride something.

The OP was inquiring about his 9 year old riding twice in a row, once with each parent, without having to wait in line. It is not a case of his child not wanting to ride at all.

Club Cooloholic

Rider switch is for children who CANNOT ride something (due to age, height or disability.) It is not supposed to be used for able-bodied children who don’t want to ride something.

The OP was inquiring about his 9 year old riding twice in a row, once with each parent, without having to wait in line. It is not a case of his child not wanting to ride at all.
I understand how he was wanting to use it and that it does not apply in that manner. But, I will say that if a parent presented a 9yr old, able bodied or not to a Cast Member and requested a ride switch due to the child being too scared say to ride the ride, then I am pretty sure the parents would be allowed to do a ride switch.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Rider switch is not for that purpose.
Its for when you have a child that is too small to ride an attraction but both parents want to ride.

For many of the attractions you can fit two adults and a child in the seat depending on the size of each person.
Like Peter Pan or Haunted Mansion you could probably squeeze.

Other attractions can hold 3 people but you may need to be in a different row from each other.
Example Winnie the Pooh or Dumbo.

In many other attractions its bench seating where 3 people can easily fit like Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise...

In short no you cannot just switch off. You'd have to wait in line again. However it would be a rare occasion that the 3 of you couldn't get on the ride vehicle together so for those possibly very few attraction just decide who will experience it with the child and move on.

awoogala

Not true. You can use rider switch if someone wishes not to ride, as well- they do not have to be too small, or disabled, etc. Certain rides (Space Mtn., Splash Mtn. ) do require the non-rider to wait in lines if they are tall enough to ride, and just don't wish to ride, (Space mtn. has them exit right before the ride begins with the parent, then you re- enter the ride and see an attendant to switch) but others, we have received the regular rider switch cards to return.
The OP is obviously not trying to do this, but you can rider switch with anyone who doesn't wish to ride. My teen chicken and I have waited in Space mtn. multiple times.

Direct from Disney:

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!
If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

haigcpa

Original Poster
Rider switch is not for that purpose.
Its for when you have a child that is too small to ride an attraction but both parents want to ride.

For many of the attractions you can fit two adults and a child in the seat depending on the size of each person.
Like Peter Pan or Haunted Mansion you could probably squeeze.

Other attractions can hold 3 people but you may need to be in a different row from each other.
Example Winnie the Pooh or Dumbo.

In many other attractions its bench seating where 3 people can easily fit like Pirates, Small World, Jungle Cruise...

Thanks for the info - can you find out ahead of time which rides can accomidate 3 at a time? for fast pass purposes

jaklgreen

Thanks for the info - can you find out ahead of time which rides can accomidate 3 at a time? for fast pass purposes
Touring plans has a great guide on all of the rides. Has pictures of all of the seats and how many you can fit in them. In rides that only seat 2 across, one of you will ride in another vehicle and depending on how busy it is, will probably be seated next to a stranger.

Club Cooloholic

Touring plans has a great guide on all of the rides. Has pictures of all of the seats and how many you can fit in them. In rides that only seat 2 across, one of you will ride in another vehicle and depending on how busy it is, will probably be seated next to a stranger.
It's not really a big deal, the parent not riding with her will either be right behind or in front of the pair.

jaklgreen

It's not really a big deal, the parent not riding with her will either be right behind or in front of the pair.

We have had this situation many times since I travel with my 2 girls. I mentioned it because some people do not realize that they put you with others on some rides. And the OP's child is 9 so that is plenty old to even go on a ride herself. My kids where going on without me on certain rides at that age.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom