2 newbie questions Re: photos and port day…

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Two newbie questions, hoping you all can save me some time on hold 😆😆

1. If you buy the $140 photo book (which apparently holds up to 35 pics) do you also have to purchase the photo package $200 separately?

2. On Castaway Cay day, do you have to disembark really early? Or can you leisurely stroll over there at like 11am? (None of the excursions seem to be must-do, so we’ll just enjoy hanging by the water, drinks, lunch, etc.)
TIA!

Lilofan

1. If you buy the $140 photo book (which apparently holds up to 35 pics) do you also have to purchase the photo package $200 separately?

2. On Castaway Cay day, do you have to disembark really early? Or can you leisurely stroll over there at like 11am? (None of the excursions seem to be must-do, so we’ll just enjoy hanging by the water, drinks, lunch, etc.)
TIA!
Last time I was on the Magic we could depart the ship to Castaway in the morning no set time. Some took advantage of the lunch on the ship as opposed to the barbeque on the island then went on the island. I still recall the awesome grilled fish sandwiches on CC.

lostpro9het

TIA!
#2: absolutely. You’ll find beach chairs at any of the beaches if you stroll out that late. Not sure how you feel about snorkeling but you can rent some gear relatively cheap for the day, or bring your own. I say this because they have a snorkeling area roped off with some cool treasures sunken there and you are inclined to see more wildlife early than later. Im not a fan of snorkeling but really enjoyed it when we did it but Im also nostalgic for 20k Leagues, hint hint.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Cool. This fits our “don’t overplan” vibe. It’s 4 nights, we really want to enjoy some unplugged relaxing, nice meals & drinks, not having to worry about driving, being somewhere on time, etc.

With that said, we’ve booked brunches and dinners at Palo & Remy, and so far a bourbon tasting on night one.

Am I off base to think a polo or button-down shirt and decent pants would be ok for both brunches and Palo dinner, and a jacket for Remy dinner?

We are staying onboard for Nassau day. Our actual anniversary is on Castaway Cay day (with Remy dinner + wine pairings.)

Slight chance of the shave package at the spa one day just for the heck of it…and/or acupuncture (?) It’s a celebration/pamper kind of trip, and those are things we wouldn’t typically splurge on.

Most important were the meals, and knowing us, we’ll befriend a bartender by day two and plant ourselves on a stool in-between sunning sessions.

I’d like to commit to the gym as well - but I know myself. 😆

lostpro9het

Cool. This fits our “don’t overplan” vibe. It’s 4 nights, we really want to enjoy some unplugged relaxing, nice meals & drinks, not having to worry about driving, being somewhere on time, etc.

With that said, we’ve booked brunches and dinners at Palo & Remy, and so far a bourbon tasting on night one.

Am I off base to think a polo or button-down shirt and decent pants would be ok for both brunches and Palo dinner, and a jacket for Remy dinner?

We are staying onboard for Nassau day. Our actual anniversary is on Castaway Cay day (with Remy dinner + wine pairings.)

Slight chance of the shave package at the spa one day just for the heck of it…and/or acupuncture (?) It’s a celebration/pamper kind of trip, and those are things we wouldn’t typically splurge on.

Most important were the meals, and knowing us, we’ll befriend a bartender by day two and plant ourselves on a stool in-between sunning sessions.

I’d like to commit to the gym as well - but I know myself. 😆
Your dress choices are fine for both. I’ve seen far underdressed in both. Good choice on the bourbon tasting, its solid. If the caipirinha experience pops up I highly recommend that one too.

The word gym does not exist on a cruise ship! I bring shoes and clothes on every cruise, 15+ so far, and have only ever managed one workout! Your plan is solid, relax, have fun, and get on a first name basis with the barkeep.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
They have gyms onboard
Millie Bobby Brown Reaction GIF by Converse

ChuckElias

The word gym does not exist on a cruise ship! I bring shoes and clothes on every cruise, 15+ so far, and have only ever managed one workout! Your plan is solid, relax, have fun, and get on a first name basis with the barkeep.

I've used the gym extensively, both on the Dream and the Magic. Neither is very spacious, and (especially on the Magic) it can be tough to find an open treadmill. There's plenty of free weights (which I don't use) and there are other machines that I never used. But they've always been good experiences for me. And it's nice to have lockers and showers (and shaving supplies) right there, so you don't have to go back to your room all stinky.

Vegas Disney Fan

#2: absolutely. You’ll find beach chairs at any of the beaches if you stroll out that late. Not sure how you feel about snorkeling but you can rent some gear relatively cheap for the day, or bring your own. I say this because they have a snorkeling area roped off with some cool treasures sunken there and you are inclined to see more wildlife early than later. Im not a fan of snorkeling but really enjoyed it when we did it but Im also nostalgic for 20k Leagues, hint hint.

Do you have to prebook the snorkeling gear?

We’re doing a cruise in Jan (my first) and snorkeling is my #1 priority on Castaway. The website makes it sound simple to rent but my gf (who’s done Disney cruises before) says a lot of stuff sells out so we should pre book.

lostpro9het

Do you have to prebook the snorkeling gear?

We’re doing a cruise in Jan (my first) and snorkeling is my #1 priority on Castaway. The website makes it sound simple to rent but my gf (who’s done Disney cruises before) says a lot of stuff sells out so we should pre book.
We did it day of but it probably wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and book it when your booking window opens. Same price either way. For $13 more you can upgrade the package to include bike rental and inner tube rental if that interests you.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Ok our room assignment came out and it’s 10112 (on the Dream.)

It’s aft-ish but not all the way back.

It’s an upgrade from deluxe to family deluxe (so, bigger) and 7A to 4A.

People have said 10th floor can be noisy - below pool deck or other things.

Any insights?

ChuckElias

We were aft on Deck 10 for our April cruise on the Dream. If you're under Cabanas, be prepared to hear scraping chairs and tables at 6:30 or 7 am. It didn't ruin the experience by any means, but it was noticeable.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Nice category upgrade! I haven't much insight, I've never done GTY on the Dream and have never stayed above Deck 7 for exactly that reason--I heard that dragging around deck chairs can impact staterooms below the pool deck. You seem to be just underneath a potential oasis where you'd be subject only to foot traffic.

From the deck plan of the Dream:

1660306965091.png

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Re your first question, I don't have any insight on that either, we've never looked into the PhotoBook, but it seems logical that you should not need to purchase the photo package in order to get the $140 Photo Book.

You could buy a package in addition to the book, if you wanted separate prints (i.e., if you only buy the book, you only get the photos in the book, and no separate prints of the photos you chose for the book, but I'm sure you already know that). We have bought a package a couple of times (once was a 10-photo package, the other might have been the whole magilla), but never the book. The prints are grossly overpriced, but as you know yourself, when you're a party of two, if you want pics of yourselves together, you gotta buy some prints. 😂

Of course, its possible that DCL will not apply logic to their photo sales. ;) Good luck, and have fun!! Will be very much looking forward to this trip report. :D

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
We were aft on Deck 10 for our April cruise on the Dream. If you're under Cabanas, be prepared to hear scraping chairs and tables at 6:30 or 7 am. It didn't ruin the experience by any means, but it was noticeable.
That seems to be the consensus of what I’ve been reading. I tend to wake up by 6, anyway, and Brian can sleep through it.

We’re not the types to be, “OMG I heard a noise, the magic is gone!”
You seem to be just underneath a potential oasis where you'd be subject only to foot traffic.

From the deck plan of the Dream:
Grateful for the upgrade - no more obstructed view, more space, and stairs to deck 11 avoiding covid-box elevators!

Your diagram pretty much lines up with the one I found, I just wasn’t sure if the decks were properly lined up with each other. So thanks for confirming I was pretty much on target!
2AF84F9F-12BE-4858-963F-F66481015AF5.jpeg

Edit: did we use the exact same graphic and just cropped it differently? 🤣🤣

So what’s the gray part to the left of the arcade? Cabana seating? Nothing?

I believe family deluxe has the round tubs? If so they are a nice addition!

It does! With the rain shower head. Looks like Disney did right by us on this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom