2 great movie rides?

cndrellagrl

Original Poster
I recently read that the great movie ride has two different versions - the gangster version and the cowboy version. i read that you can ask to be placed in two different lines to see two different versions. Is this true????

Rob562

I recently read that the great movie ride has two different versions - the gangster version and the cowboy version. i read that you can ask to be placed in two different lines to see two different versions. Is this true????

They have to be running two trams when you ride, but yes, you can choose which version you get based on which queue you're in. When the line splits left/right, the left side will get the Gangster, the right side will get the Cowboy (officially called the "Bandit").

Oh, and it's not two *totally* different rides. Both versions ride through the same scenes. But one tram is hiijacked by the Gangster in the underworld scene, the other is hiijacked by the Bandit in the western scene. If you've only ever been on the Gangster version, there's more that happens in the Bandit scene when it's the Bandit hiijacker than what you see just cruising through. Similarly, for the tram headed to Bandit, they don't see everything that happens in the Gangster scene when they ride through without stopping.

When they're only running one scene, it's *always* the Gangster scene (cheaper to operate, as there's an effect or two in Bandit that are more expensive).

You could also end up just having bad luck like we did last month. GMR was going to be our final attraction of the trip. We had just enough time to get through the queue and through the ride before we had to head back to the hotel for our DME pickup. Well, we got in the right side to ride the Bandit scene, but they must not have been running two trams in EVERY set, because while I saw that they were loading two sets in the group before ours, when it came time for us to load, there was only the Gangster tram. If we'd had time, I would have asked to wait for a set of trams with Bandit operating, but we were cutting it close as it was.

-Rob

MUTZIE77

It is true that there are two different versions, that much I can tell you. But I dont know about asking to get in on a certain one. They are both kinda lame, but I like the ride anyway.

Slipknot

You do not have to get in a certain queue to get the Gangster or Bandit. Once you get to the doors leading to the load dock, and you have enough time unlike Rob562, you can always ask if they are running the Bandit show. You might have to wait a little longer, but if you haven't seen the Bandit show, why not?

BTW. The Bandit show is a lot shorter because the vehicle has to move fast so the Gangster doesn't catch up.

Figment632

Yes but I rarely get the cowboy version. I once went 5 years without getting it.

Thrill Seeker

The bandit is shorter because the first tram as to move through the Alien scene and Raiders of the Lost Arc while the gangster tram is catching up. The one thing that makes the bandit scene better is the giant explosion. That's fun to watch. It also means that your guide gets to interact with the witch in the Wizard of Oz scene...

Slipknot

The bandit is shorter because the first tram as to move through the Alien scene and Raiders of the Lost Arc while the gangster tram is catching up. The one thing that makes the bandit scene better is the giant explosion. That's fun to watch. It also means that your guide gets to interact with the witch in the Wizard of Oz scene...

Unless you are in a 1 vehicle set.

Rob562

Well, it isn't necessarily "shorter", but you move through different scenes at different speeds depending on which tram you're in.

If you're in Gangster, you move slowly through Poppins and the beginning of the Underworld to allow Bandit to pull ahead. Meanwhile, Bandit has driven through those scenes a little faster to get to the Western scene.

The Western hiijack scene itself is a little shorter than the Gangster hiijack scene so that Bandit can be clear of the scene before Gangster enters.

Both trams run at about the same speed through Alien and Indy.

But once the Bandit tram reaches Annubis, it speeds away from Annubis and then slows to a crawl through Tarzan and Casablanca. Meanwhile, the Gangster tram zooms through Tarzan and Casablanca to catch up with the Bandit tram so they both enter Oz at the same time. The trick of the timing is that from Underworld until Tarzan/Casablanca, neither tram can be allowed to see each other during that entire stretch. Also, Bandit can't go TOO fast through Alien and Indy because it has to stay behind the set of trams in front of it.

The trams start at the same time and end at the same time, so ride TIME is exactly the same for each. But the ride EXPERIENCE is much different for each. The only time that's shorter on Bandit is the amount of time that the Bandit is in control of the tram vs how long Gangster is in control of their tram. It's all a very well-timed, well-designed bit of mechanical ballet.

-Rob

EPCOTPluto

I never knew the whole Bandit/Gangster bit would act out as a complicated show.

I rarely get the Bandit, but it is far better IMO than the Gangster. Could it be b/c of the explosion timing as well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom