Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (and a dog!) and $200 French Fries?! multiple short trips

Who:

Tony:

Wait, a little more recent, please (but remember the blue tufted sofa for later.)

"Hidden Mickey" ears behind me? It's actually a wall mural with ocean waves.

Brian:

That picture of him is 8 years old, but still adorbs.

...and sometimes Kylie:

60 pounds of German Shepherd/Chow Chow love & anxiety. She is as old as that picture of Brian, and also adorbs!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
When:

Well...

If you read our last TR, er, odyssey, that ended up retroactively needing a table of contents (leading up to our very sweet & splurgy 10 year wedding anniversary at Victoria & Albert's in September of 2017, punctuated by Hurricane Irma) you can more or less expect the same this time.

What the heck does that mean? It means the main thrust of this pre-TR is heading toward a bigger goal: our first Disney cruise.

That hasn't even been booked yet, so in the meantime, we have little WDW trips (and maybe DL?) a yet-to-be-activated-but-already-purchased AP, and possibly more flashbacks and flash-forwards than the entire TV series, "Lost."

In all seriousness, you folks were so helpful in the planning of our (previously) most important Disney trip ever, we wanted to gain the benefit of your collective expertise once again as we plan our first cruise.

In the meantime...

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
By all rights, this pre-TR should have begun on Valentine's Day weekend. And that would have been poetic, because the last giant pre-TR did as well. Back then, Brian was in Tampa for work, staying at a Marriott Residence. I brought Kylie out to visit for Valentine's Day, and we took a day trip out to WDW for lunch at Captain Cook's. (Well, I spent the day, Brian had to go to work after lunch!)

This year (2018) was a little nicer. B is now in upper management at the Margaritaville Hotel & Resort here in Hollywood, Florida, and as part of his training, he had to manage the hotel for a whole weekend, which required living in the hotel for the whole weekend, eating at the hotel the whole weekend (including the nicer restaurant!) and/or moving his family in with him in that hotel for the whole weekend.

We're in!

This was no La Quinta! (No disrespect to La Quinta. They, like Red Roof, have been a great low-cost option where we could bring a dog-sized dog and not pay a a fortune in extra fees.)

This was a junior suite over in a corner, and we loved it.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Believe it or not, there are pros and cons to a free weekend at a luxury themed resort for Valentine’s Day when your husband is “on call.”

That walkie talkie thingy can and will go off at inopportune times - like in the elevator on the way down for our Vday ADR at the fancy schmancy restaurant. Bye, Bri!

I spent about an hour in the waiting area thinking how much this reminded me of the Flying Fish, except with margarita glasses.

654FC9B7-9E71-45E3-93EF-B324CC558930.jpeg

Finally B returned, and after a little more waiting, they found a table for us.

The nerve of that old lady, not quite passing out but refusing medical attention and encouraging all other attention...causing my tummy to rumble. 😉

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I'll keep this short-ish, since it's non-Disney. But there was a similar feel to the experience overall. There's a different kind of magic for folks who would attend a place based on an alcoholic drink, after all.

The "high end" restaurant is called JWB (Jimmy's initials.) I went in with what I thought were realistic expectations, and was very happily surprised (in a good way.)

You'll recall (or not) back in September, after our tequila pairing luncheon at Epcot, I discovered Ocho Anejo tequila at the tequilar bar there. A "sipping tequila." This would be a blessing and a curse. I've never found it anywhere else since. Almost bought a bottle. Almost.

I ordered a Don Julio Anejo "up" and was surprised and forever won over to see it served to the brim in a martini glass. (hic') Loved it.

Brian is still on a pineapple kick and ordered the "Caribbean Amphibian."

We start just like any mojito should start, with fresh mint leaves, fresh lime juice and some Monin Pure Cane Syrup. Our twist on the Cuban original is made with Ciroc Pineapple Vodka and fresh Boiron Pineapple Puree. This blend makes for a remarkably fresh concoction that is a house favorite. The Caribbean Amphibian is served just as the classic would be, ice cold on the rocks

Appetizers: The Paradise Ceviche - simple, but perfect: Fresh Local Catch, Cilantro, Lime, Aji Limo, Corn

And probably the biggest surprise of the night: the calamari. This has become something of a "barometer dish" for us. It's one of those things we order at a lot of different places to kind of peg the venue as being good or not good. It's very easy to overcook, etc.

Rhode Island Calamari: Flash Fried, Peppadews, Lemon Aioli, Romesco Sauce.

This deserves it's own paragraph! As many times as I've had it, going all the way back to NJ (even when I didn't like it, as a kid) - no exaggeration, this. is. the. best. calamari. I. have. ever. had. (period.) . (.) . ! And it had my favorite little peppadews first introduced to me at Tiffins and never seen anywhere outside of WDW before! The calamari itself was...not the least bit chewy. Not overbreaded. Not greasy. It was the definition and standard of perfectly cooked. I hope that wasn't an accident or a one-off. I must have that again. And all that without marinara, and I still loved it! (Standing up, rave review. Thank you, chef.)

Going from there, throwing out any diets for a holiday, a trip, or a meal on the house (this was all three) Brian went with the Prime Bone-In Ribeye (22 oz) and I went with the Surf & Turf (Filet mignon & broiled lobster tail.)

The lobster tail - a longtime favorite of mine - again, if not the best I've ever had, certainly one of the best I've ever had. That left my filet lacking. It was good, but it did not compare to Yachtsman Steakhouse, and in no way compared to Monsieur Paul. I wished I had ordered two lobster tails, or whatever the special was that sounded good, plus a lobster tail. It was all worth it for that lobster tail! Less so for the filet. Again, it was good, it just wasn't mind-blowing like everything else had been, especially for someone who only orders something like that a few times a year. (Side note: the waiter talked us into what sounded like a great wine pairing for our entrees, but then never brought them out. Arrgh.)

Since I love all desserts banana, but don't generally eat dessert at all, let alone in front of my type I diabetic husband, I took my banana cream pie back to the room. :cool::p:D

Because we had the pup, I did not take advantage of a lot of what the hotel had to offer - the gym, the adult only pool & bar (d'oh!) But I did take advantage of room service. A lot of the stuff from room service and from the other restaurants on property are best compared to standard QS fare. A few bright spots here and there, a few low spots. But the jambalaya - winner!! Jimmy's Jammin' Jambalaya with shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, just the right amount of heat, the right balance of everything including the rice - loved it. This is a stock photo, it looked better in person, and no kidding, it was so good (and the rest of the menu so overall uninspired) that I ordered this via room service TWICE.

jambalaya.jpg

And I will go back for that, along with the banana bread pudding from that particular restaurant. But that night, I ordered some kind of drunken berry dessert, which was various berries soaked in Grand Marnier with a scoop of excellent ice cream. Yay! (hic')

That's about everything noteworthy from Valentine's Day weekend(ish) at Margaritaville. (Yes, of course we ordered room service for breakfast the next morning before checking out.

And since there were no real food pics in that post, here's one from someone I met online who had dinner at Victoria & Albert's recently. This was part of their dessert course:

IMG_4025.JPG

21stamps

Little Miss Nosey Rosey thinks she’s a cat, and will stare out a window all day.

View attachment 275881
View attachment 275884
View attachment 275885

It was a wraparound balcony, really nice, could let her sit out there.

...or wait to be seated.
View attachment 275882

No, didn’t really take her in there. But got my refillable mug - for margaritas! (Oh, yes I did.)

View attachment 275883

Refillable margarita mug?!?!??? Ok. That solidified it. Peace out Boca, Hello Hollywood!!!!
I'll keep this short-ish, since it's non-Disney. But there was a similar feel to the experience overall. There's a different kind of magic for folks who would attend a place based on an alcoholic drink, after all.

The "high end" restaurant is called JWB (Jimmy's initials.) I went in with what I thought were realistic expectations, and was very happily surprised (in a good way.)

You'll recall (or not) back in September, after our tequila pairing luncheon at Epcot, I discovered Ocho Anejo tequila at the tequilar bar there. A "sipping tequila." This would be a blessing and a curse. I've never found it anywhere else since. Almost bought a bottle. Almost.

I ordered a Don Julio Anejo "up" and was surprised and forever won over to see it served to the brim in a martini glass. (hic') Loved it.

Brian is still on a pineapple kick and ordered the "Caribbean Amphibian."

We start just like any mojito should start, with fresh mint leaves, fresh lime juice and some Monin Pure Cane Syrup. Our twist on the Cuban original is made with Ciroc Pineapple Vodka and fresh Boiron Pineapple Puree. This blend makes for a remarkably fresh concoction that is a house favorite. The Caribbean Amphibian is served just as the classic would be, ice cold on the rocks.

Appetizers: The Paradise Ceviche - simple, but perfect: Fresh Local Catch, Cilantro, Lime, Aji Limo, Corn

And probably the biggest surprise of the night: the calamari. This has become something of a "barometer dish" for us. It's one of those things we order at a lot of different places to kind of peg the venue as being good or not good. It's very easy to overcook, etc.

Rhode Island Calamari: Flash Fried, Peppadews, Lemon Aioli, Romesco Sauce.

This deserves it's own paragraph! As many times as I've had it, going all the way back to NJ (even when I didn't like it, as a kid) - no exaggeration, this. is. the. best. calamari. I. have. ever. had. (period.) . (.) . ! And it had my favorite little peppadews first introduced to me at Tiffins and never seen anywhere outside of WDW before! The calamari itself was...not the least bit chewy. Not overbreaded. Not greasy. It was the definition and standard of perfectly cooked. I hope that wasn't an accident or a one-off. I must have that again. And all that without marinara, and I still loved it! (Standing up, rave review. Thank you, chef.)

Going from there, throwing out any diets for a holiday, a trip, or a meal on the house (this was all three) Brian went with the Prime Bone-In Ribeye (22 oz) and I went with the Surf & Turf (Filet mignon & broiled lobster tail.)

The lobster tail - a longtime favorite of mine - again, if not the best I've ever had, certainly one of the best I've ever had. That left my filet lacking. It was good, but it did not compare to Yachtsman Steakhouse, and in no way compared to Monsieur Paul. I wished I had ordered two lobster tails, or whatever the special was that sounded good, plus a lobster tail. It was all worth it for that lobster tail! Less so for the filet. Again, it was good, it just wasn't mind-blowing like everything else had been, especially for someone who only orders something like that a few times a year. (Side note: the waiter talked us into what sounded like a great wine pairing for our entrees, but then never brought them out. Arrgh.)

Since I love all desserts banana, but don't generally eat dessert at all, let alone in front of my type I diabetic husband, I took my banana cream pie back to the room. :cool::p:D

Because we had the pup, I did not take advantage of a lot of what the hotel had to offer - the gym, the adult only pool & bar (d'oh!) But I did take advantage of room service. A lot of the stuff from room service and from the other restaurants on property are best compared to standard QS fare. A few bright spots here and there, a few low spots. But the jambalaya - winner!! Jimmy's Jammin' Jambalaya with shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, just the right amount of heat, the right balance of everything including the rice - loved it. This is a stock photo, it looked better in person, and no kidding, it was so good (and the rest of the menu so overall uninspired) that I ordered this via room service TWICE.

View attachment 275971

And I will go back for that, along with the banana bread pudding from that particular restaurant. But that night, I ordered some kind of drunken berry dessert, which was various berries soaked in Grand Marnier with a scoop of excellent ice cream. Yay! (hic')

That's about everything noteworthy from Valentine's Day weekend(ish) at Margaritaville. (Yes, of course we ordered room service for breakfast the next morning before checking out.

And since there were no real food pics in that post, here's one from someone I met online who had dinner at Victoria & Albert's recently. This was part of their dessert course:

View attachment 275974

No!! Please include more photos of the property. I’ve only seen the website.. did you get a photo in front of the giant flip flop?

Food looks DELISH!!! What a GREAT weekend!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom