Trip Report 2 Broke Guys & A Dog get Ft Wilderness Cabin Fever (but not COVID-19!)

Yes, yes, it's been awhile. Yes, I'm still sitting on all of our 2019 trip reports. (Great stuff happened - take my word for it!) It will be fun to write those (eventually) because they are from a world before this world we couldn't have imagined at the time - so many WDWmagic meet & greets without masks or elbow bumps. I'll get to writing those eventually, but it's a big commitment of time, and I don't have so much of that lately. (That means - sigh of relief - business is good. It also means when business was bad/closed in the Spring, I worked more than ever and had even less time! If I was Waiting To Exhale, this little WDW trip I'm about to detail was that wonderful and much needed expulsion of a very deep breath.)

Who:

Me: Tony (bad pic in avatar. Will replace with a pic from this trip when done.)

Husband: Brian (I'm sure he'll love this candid shot.)
Brian Disney.JPG

Dog: Kylie. (Fresh pic just for this TR, posed about 30 seconds ago. 58 pounds of German Shepherd/Chow Chowness.)
Kylie.jpg

Where: Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Cabins (first time staying here! Booked last year but changed before going. Yes, they take pets!)

When: September 29-ish to October 2.

Why: hey, it's my day off, I can type whatever I want! Warning: it's short - really short - although if you know us, you know most of our trips are about that short. This time, it's a lot less jam-packed. But I'm telling ya, this trip was just what the doctor ordered.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I have gotten very good at avoiding/controlling hangry in my old age. Brian saw it coming and reminded me I had a fake chipotle chicken patty in the freezer. 1 minute and ready. As I ate it, I felt like Frosty the Snowman every time they put the hat on his head and he comes to life. "Happy birthday!" Then I realized how out of it I had been up until just a moment prior.

Followed that up with that Nature Freaking Valley Chewy granola bar from La Quinta. (One down!)

And another little sip of Crown Vanilla.

Tried to relax, learn about the resort, watch TV. Not easy. I still had no ADR's for our fancy dinner tomorrow night! I look at Brian - sleeping upright in the chair. 🤣🥲

In the meantime, I found the other place to eat, it was only half as far as the first place. The menu was...exactly. the. same. 😆🤩 Pulled pork! I ordered the same stuff and decided the three of us would walk to pick it up. Lunch had become dinner. And then we would chillax in the room.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Are we at animal kingdom? Horses, deer, dogs...
6C45D625-B74D-480A-B69D-B003B8F7843A.jpeg

Turkeys? I know this is not a partridge. Or a pear tree. Or the mangled looking ducks we call turkeys down here. This guy had just jump/flown up from the ground. A few steps further would reveal a second one already up there. OK!

This was on the way to pick up the food. It was a nice walk. We were about halfway there when we realized everyone else either walking or in a golf cart was wearing a mask. Brian reached in and found one in his pocket. Only one. We started walking a little more sheepishly then, and on the way back, a more official looking golf cart pulled over to remind us to wear them outside. (Oops!)

My pulled pork sandwich was good, and pretty big. It lasted me the whole evening - and held up nicely to the Crown or ten. Somewhere between one and ten. Closer to one. Hard to tell, not pouring precisely. (hic!)

Brian had a salad with chicken. Didn’t look like anything much, but B has put on some weight and is trying to work on that.

As we watched TV, I searched ADR’s for our special dinner the next night. Epcot restaurants were now in play. I had hoped for one of those awesome F&W lunches with wine pairings, but those are not going on. All good - we would eat & drink around the world for lunch. And dunch.

My ideal dinner spot would be a signature meal, without needing to wear a suit jacket, not too out of the way, and maybe a place we’d never been. What popped up after about a half hour of refreshing the page?

It was perfect - puzzle solved! Clicked to book - the little circle on the page kept spinning and spinning. I had already entered my cc info to hold the reservation. Did it go through? I got on the computer and checked there. It did not go through. It kept timing out on the phone and each time I retried, I had to re-enter my address and cc info. Why was it no longer saved?

Nevermind, I’ll just do it on the computer. But no times were available. 😕 Was it tied up with my phone? I suspected, but wasn’t sure. Gave up, kept searching. About 15 minutes later, it popped up again with a slightly different time. Tap! I got you this time! Cue the spinning and the timing out. 😣

About a half hour later, the original time popped up again! This time, I didn’t touch the phone, went over to the computer, and booked...

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
38E5415A-B89E-4CC1-8E10-8EDCB5E3814C.jpeg

Woo hoo! Fancy, never been, and we could take the Skyliner (also never been) from Epcot and swing by CBR Banana Cabana for a drink with some fave bartenders along the way. I love it when a plan comes together! And I’m always amazed how many new things we get to do, even after visiting so many times. 💕👍🏻🥳

93boomer

Premium Member
Are we at animal kingdom? Horses, deer, dogs...
View attachment 503473
Turkeys? I know this is not a partridge. Or a pear tree. Or the mangled looking ducks we call turkeys down here. This guy had just jump/flown up from the ground. A few steps further would reveal a second one already up there. OK!

This was on the way to pick up the food. It was a nice walk. We were about halfway there when we realized everyone else either walking or in a golf cart was wearing a mask. Brian reached in and found one in his pocket. Only one. We started walking a little more sheepishly then, and on the way back, a more official looking golf cart pulled over to remind us to wear them outside. (Oops!)

My pulled pork sandwich was good, and pretty big. It lasted me the whole evening - and held up nicely to the Crown or ten. Somewhere between one and ten. Closer to one. Hard to tell, not pouring precisely. (hic!)

Brian had a salad with chicken. Didn’t look like anything much, but B has put on some weight and is trying to work on that.

As we watched TV, I searched ADR’s for our special dinner the next night. Epcot restaurants were now in play. I had hoped for one of those awesome F&W lunches with wine pairings, but those are not going on. All good - we would eat & drink around the world for lunch. And dunch.

My ideal dinner spot would be a signature meal, without needing to wear a suit jacket, not too out of the way, and maybe a place we’d never been. What popped up after about a half hour of refreshing the page?

It was perfect - puzzle solved! Clicked to book - the little circle on the page kept spinning and spinning. I had already entered my cc info to hold the reservation. Did it go through? I got on the computer and checked there. It did not go through. It kept timing out on the phone and each time I retried, I had to re-enter my address and cc info. Why was it no longer saved?

Nevermind, I’ll just do it on the computer. But no times were available. 😕 Was it tied up with my phone? I suspected, but wasn’t sure. Gave up, kept searching. About 15 minutes later, it popped up again with a slightly different time. Tap! I got you this time! Cue the spinning and the timing out. 😣

About a half hour later, the original time popped up again! This time, I didn’t touch the phone, went over to the computer, and booked...
Yep those wild turkeys are everywhere down there. We saw about 10 deer one night!
My dinner reservation did that same thing on my phone. I thought I didn't get it, then checked my email and had the confirmation! I was getting mad. But, there were several days with glitches. Don't know why.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I said it when I met you in person, and I will say it now, Brian, HUBBA HUBBA!!!

giphy.gif

Also,
(even though there was a pulled pork sandwich on the menu, and you knew I was going to get the pulled pork sandwich.)
Me too. Every time! Every dang time.

Lastly, sorry to babble, why are the no mosquitos at the cabins??? (Not a complaint)
“Kids! Dont touch the stagnant water!”

Edit to add: You’re no slice of bologna yourself! 👀

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom