2 bdrm Down grade question

luvlifeinfl

Original Poster
Ok I have been on this board for a few months and daily check in to see what the latest news is. I need advise.

Ok, here is the deal, we will be at WDW Nov. 21-30. We have changed our reservations several times. I have that story posted in another thread.

Any way since we do not need a 2bdrm we wanted to down grade to a 1bdrm, we were able to get all the days except the 25 (Thanksgivng) & 26th ( the day after Thanksgiving).

I want to know if anyone has called DVC back and asked for them to check wait list to see if anyone has a 1bdrm and wants a 2 bdrm and had them work it from that angle.

Has anyone worked together on this board to work with DVC to switch?

slappy magoo

I could be wrong, but I'd suspect people needing to upgrade or downgrade the size of the room they request isn't that common, especially when it comes to DVC members, because let's face it, we've got tons on the ball. ;)

You are talking about one of the busiest periods of the year, so that definitely makes it difficult to make changes. Even at SSR (also my home resort) which is ginormous, but not everyone's cup of tea, which means if you can't get what you want there, you're pretty much S.O.L.

To maximize your point value, I'd suggest trying to do this:
-Anticipate keeping the first part of your reservation no matter what - 3 nights in a 1BR in SSR. And prepare for the likelihood that, no matter what, you're going to move at least once
-Try to get only switch your reservation for the rest of your trip - 6 nights - in a 1BR anywhere else, including OKW. OKW, along with SSR, have so many rooms that they are often your best shot. Pick the order of resorts, from most to least desired, but keep OKW in the mix. Even though technically, once on a wait list you only get what you want if everyone on the wait list before you gets what they want, you never know if you may get a sympathetic agent at the exact moment someone cancels.
-If that becomes too trying, try to get a 1BR for just the nights in which you currently have the 2BR unit. This means you'll be switching 2 times, but at least you won't be wasting points in a 2BR you don't want.

Worst case scenario, consider this: 2BR units are usually 1BR and studio rooms opened up with a connecting door. Specifically request a "lockout," then see if any other friends or family may want to join you for just those 4 nights. In a way, you have an advantage - you definitely have a room at WDW during Thanksgiving! Some family or friends may be willing to pay you to share your room, which, while it doesn't compensate for the use of points entirely, may at least take some of the sting out of using them (and give you money towards meals or souvenirs). If you get a "lockout" 1BR/Studio combo, those friends will essentially have their own room. If it winds up being a dedicated 2BR, it's not that big of a deal, they'll still get their own bedroom and bathroom. If there's a coworker or neighbor you can tolerate for a couple of nights, ask around and see who bitea at the chance to see WDW during a major holiday, while it's already decked out for Xmas, when the room is already booked. Hell, some people might consider that you've done them a favor! The only caveat is that it's only fir part of your vacation, so they can't arrive and leave with you, unless they opt to get lodging elsewhere when not with you.

Either way, I'd suggest you request a "lockout." At the very least, you may get lucky, and when your 1BR becomes a 2BR, they'll just open up the connecting studio; this way, at least, you don't have to move.

luvlifeinfl

Original Poster
God if I have to re-type this again I will be upset, I had typed a response to Slappymaggo and the page timed out when I went to send and so it did not go.

We called DVC yesterday, we checked to see if any other DVC resorts could accomidate our dates, none. Which is ok, becasue we still have some where to stay.

I just did not want to hog a 2 bdrm if we do not need it, since my DD- (college) & her BF will not be joining us now. We asked and the 2bdrm is a dedicated 2 bdrm.

Through this we have found trying to plan a vacation around a child that is in college is not easy.

So for right now we have a
1 bdrm 11/21-11/25
2bdrm 11/25-11/27
1bdrm 11/27-11/30 which means we will move 2 times.

Also we had checked with our friends to see if they wanted to join us and everyone said no, which I am surprised.

slappy magoo

Sorry everything's coming up the opposite of roses, whatever that is. I applaud your outlook - after all you are going to Disney, even if under less-than-perfect options. At this point, I'd say just keep checking those same options - see if they can move you to a lockout, see if any other 1BRs open up anywhere during those 4 days (could you possibly handle a studio for those 4 days? Is this something you considered and I just didn't notice it in your other posts? Hell, even using your points in a moderate resort for those 4 days might use less points than the 2BR), and see if anyone might want to join you for those 4 nights.

luvlifeinfl

Original Poster
Sorry everything's coming up the opposite of roses, whatever that is. I applaud your outlook - after all you are going to Disney, even if under less-than-perfect options. At this point, I'd say just keep checking those same options - see if they can move you to a lockout, see if any other 1BRs open up anywhere during those 4 days (could you possibly handle a studio for those 4 days? Is this something you considered and I just didn't notice it in your other posts? Hell, even using your points in a moderate resort for those 4 days might use less points than the 2BR), and see if anyone might want to join you for those 4 nights.

Slappymaggo, we only need the 2 days, all the other days we were able to down grade from the 2bdrm to the 1 bdrm. I do not want to go into a studio for those 2 days becasue I planned on cokking Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving day, that is why I still wanted a villa.

I placed a call into my DVC rep this AM, he is out of the office till tomorrow, so I will see what he suggest.

Again, I am not going to sweat it, it will just be extra space for 2 days.

O I also put my request in to be in the Springs since it is the area closest to the main pool & the guest house.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom