2 adults, 14 nights - how much spending money?

Hayley In Wonderland

This year (126 days away) we are returning to WDW for 14 nights. It is just me and my boyfriend, no children.

I was wondering what would be the ideal amount of spending money to take? We're from the UK so need to get it exchanged, but were considering taking around £2,500.00 (around $3,300.00). We were on the dining plan last year but this year we're not doing it this year.

Would this be enough for 2 adults, including food and souvenirs?

Mark Cameron

Well, the middle dining plan would cost you around $2100 or $2200 so I would think if you plan wisely you should be able to stay within that for food. I guess it depends on how you guys want to spend on souvenirs. An extra $1100 or so should be enough. You guys just may have to keep yourself in check and only buy like one Alien Popcorn bucket instead of 6 lol

Upvote 0

Bartledvd

Only you know what your spending habbits are like, Me and my wife on our trips without kids have spent a lot more but honestly we could have survived with a lot less and had an awesome time still.

Grab an uber off site eat at some great places much better quality of food than most of WDW and a fraction on the cost.

If you eat on site and like an adult beverage with your meals plus tip you can rapidly get through that spending money with very little left over for souvenirs or treats.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

First off, why take all that money with you? You can pay for most things with a credit card. Bring some cash, of course for smaller items, but ATMs are ubiquitous, so no need to bring a huge was of US$. Check with your CC company and bank first, though, to see what FEX fees they charge.

I agree with the others that it's hard to recommend a budget amount without knowing your preferences and spending habits. Using the cost of the DDP for food, assuming you'll only eat within those parameters, works for some. Otherwise you'll have to look at prices on the Disney menus and add them up yourself. It's not just the alcohol that can damage a food budget. Those Starbucks lattes, Dole Whips, or Mickey bars aren't that inexpensive either. Speaking of snacks, many resort guests will order a grocery delivery or make an Uber run to a nearby grocery store for snack items as well as water (the tap water iastes terrible, as you know), soda, beer and wine. Also consider getting simple breakfast items. Eating breakfast in your room while getting ready for the day on some mornings saves money and time.

Souvenirs - can quickly ruin any budget if you're the impulsive type. We've been there so often, and thankfully are no longer bringing little children who want everything they see, so our budget in that department has shrunk considerably now.(and is somewhat proportional to the decrease in quality of most of the usual trinkets). Bear in mind the weight and volume of all your purchases. You won't want to pay for an extra checked bag on the trip home. Mind you, a 500GBP Mickey Mouse watch weighs little, and doesn't take up much room. ;)

A PP mentioned other costs. Taxis or Uber costs can add up over time if you use them a lot. Taxifarefinder is a useful site for cost estimates.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

How big foodies are you? If you plan on doing lots of TS, drinking and snacking in between it will take up more of your funds. We can get by with breakfast at the resort, snack at lunch and QS or TS for dinner. We drink lots of flavored water to hydrate with an occasional soda. We get by on limiting ourselves to $100 day for souvineers and usually dont spend that much. near the end of a trip we may splurge on a more expensive gift for ourselves to take home. Monitoring your spending, you can get by on your budgeted amount. Just keep track of your daily spending and spend wisely. Sometimes weve come home with a souvenir that we ask later... why did we ever buy that???

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The GDP of a small country..... 😉

I'd look at the menus of the restaurants you plan on eating in to determine what OOP costs will be. Don't forget to include snacks and adult beverages. There are grocery stores near WDW that you could Uber/taxi to and pick up snacks, water, adult beverages and save some $$. Frankly, after tickets and resort, that's going to be your largest expense.

Upvote 0

James J

In the Parks
No
It all depends on how much you think you'll spend on food i.e what your eating habits are like, and how likely you are to buy a whole bunch of souvenirs. When I went for two weeks in 2015 I took $700 with me for souvenir purchases and brought $200 back to the UK with me.

I'd also recommend getting a Caxton FX card and loading it with USD no matter how much you end up deciding on, and definitely if you do go with $3,300 as that's such a high amount. If you get the card you can start at a lower base amount and if you need more, top it up via the app. I've just returned from a trip to the USA and used a Caxton card for the first time, and would never take just cash again. Towards the end of my visit I needed a bit more in USD so just loaded more onto the card with the app. You can also withdraw cash for free in the USA with the card: https://www.caxtonfx.com/

Upvote 0

fngoofy

Only you know what your spending habbits are like, Me and my wife on our trips without kids have spent a lot more but honestly we could have survived with a lot less and had an awesome time still.

Grab an uber off site eat at some great places much better quality of food than most of WDW and a fraction on the cost.

If you eat on site and like an adult beverage with your meals plus tip you can rapidly get through that spending money with very little left over for souvenirs or treats.

I respectfully disagree.
Orlando is a vast sea of mediocre restaurants (with exceptions.)
My advice:
- IF you like sit-down meals AND there is still time to book reservations, add the dining plan. We have done spread sheets to compare and worst case you break even, but generally speaking you save 15%

- If you like to drink, pickup/have delivered drinks for the room from the liquor store. That way you can prime before heading out.

- Purchase (have delivered) cases of water. We get a rental car each year, stop at Target and pickup fruit, snacks, and cases of water. The water alone pays for the rental car. You figure for 2 people, you take 2 waters with each of you when you leave the room, 2 more per person later in the day/at night, and you are at a total of 8 bottles. The cost getting them at target is $5/case so that's about $1.50 for 8. In the parks 8 will cost you $20.

Said another way. If each of you consumes 4 bottles of water a day, that's $280 for your trip, but for $15 you can get 3 cases, net savings of $265.

Also, being on the dining plan gets you in to really good restaurants.
If you haven't had a chance to experience them here are some highlights:
MK
- Skipper Canteen
- Be Our Guest

EPCOT
- Tuto Italia
- Chefs de France
- Le Cellier

DHS
- Brown Derby
- Mama Melrose

AK
- Used to like Yak and Yeti but have tired of them

Not to mention all the resorts and the good counter service.
Also, it frees you up to order what you want without being cost conscious.

For what it's worth.

Upvote 0

Hayley In Wonderland

Original Poster
First off, why take all that money with you? You can pay for most things with a credit card. Bring some cash, of course for smaller items, but ATMs are ubiquitous, so no need to bring a huge was of US$. Check with your CC company and bank first, though, to see what FEX fees they charge.

I agree with the others that it's hard to recommend a budget amount without knowing your preferences and spending habits. Using the cost of the DDP for food, assuming you'll only eat within those parameters, works for some. Otherwise you'll have to look at prices on the Disney menus and add them up yourself. It's not just the alcohol that can damage a food budget. Those Starbucks lattes, Dole Whips, or Mickey bars aren't that inexpensive either. Speaking of snacks, many resort guests will order a grocery delivery or make an Uber run to a nearby grocery store for snack items as well as water (the tap water iastes terrible, as you know), soda, beer and wine. Also consider getting simple breakfast items. Eating breakfast in your room while getting ready for the day on some mornings saves money and time.

Souvenirs - can quickly ruin any budget if you're the impulsive type. We've been there so often, and thankfully are no longer bringing little children who want everything they see, so our budget in that department has shrunk considerably now.(and is somewhat proportional to the decrease in quality of most of the usual trinkets). Bear in mind the weight and volume of all your purchases. You won't want to pay for an extra checked bag on the trip home. Mind you, a 500GBP Mickey Mouse watch weighs little, and doesn't take up much room. ;)

A PP mentioned other costs. Taxis or Uber costs can add up over time if you use them a lot. Taxifarefinder is a useful site for cost estimates.
I'm from the UK so using my cards abroad costs me more due to bank charges, so sadly I have to save up and budget.

We didn't out there at all last year since me and my partner are not big drinkers. We were going to do a Prime order once we arrive to puchase things like bottled water, breakfast and some snack items to try and take off some of the cost of spending in the parks.

Last year we took around $2,000.00 for souvenirs and eating off property at Universal and ended up with a few hundred $ left over at the end of the trip.

We also still had around 6 meals left on the dining plan last year and 12 snack credits which we used most of in the gift shop on our last day.

Upvote 0

Hayley In Wonderland

Original Poster
How big foodies are you? If you plan on doing lots of TS, drinking and snacking in between it will take up more of your funds. We can get by with breakfast at the resort, snack at lunch and QS or TS for dinner. We drink lots of flavored water to hydrate with an occasional soda. We get by on limiting ourselves to $100 day for souvineers and usually dont spend that much. near the end of a trip we may splurge on a more expensive gift for ourselves to take home. Monitoring your spending, you can get by on your budgeted amount. Just keep track of your daily spending and spend wisely. Sometimes weve come home with a souvenir that we ask later... why did we ever buy that???
We're more than happy to eat at QS for the trip, we love food but are not very adventurous and are also vegan/veggie so we have to plan ahead places we can eat. Haha we did that last year after we spent $120.00 each on perfume and aftershave at the airport (we had to spend it due to it being a giftcard from the holiday company)

Upvote 0

Hayley In Wonderland

Original Poster
It all depends on how much you think you'll spend on food i.e what your eating habits are like, and how likely you are to buy a whole bunch of souvenirs. When I went for two weeks in 2015 I took $700 with me for souvenir purchases and brought $200 back to the UK with me.

I'd also recommend getting a Caxton FX card and loading it with USD no matter how much you end up deciding on, and definitely if you do go with $3,300 as that's such a high amount. If you get the card you can start at a lower base amount and if you need more, top it up via the app. I've just returned from a trip to the USA and used a Caxton card for the first time, and would never take just cash again. Towards the end of my visit I needed a bit more in USD so just loaded more onto the card with the app. You can also withdraw cash for free in the USA with the card: https://www.caxtonfx.com/
We have something similar to this called a Post Office Money Card which we took with us last year, we loaded the majority of our money onto this and kept around $800.00 in cash ICE. Will 100% be doing it this year (although I have forgotten the pin number oops). We have $18.00 (!) left over on there from last years trip x

Upvote 0

Bartledvd

If at all possible try get halifax clarity card its a credit card but uses almost identical rates as interbank rates no fees for using it. That is what we used for years world wide we only take a little cash for tipping rest is card.

We have looked at post office card rates are horrible and you can often do much better getting cash from other exchanges.
Caxton is good option if cant get clarity card.

Upvote 0

Hayley In Wonderland

Original Poster
If at all possible try get halifax clarity card its a credit card but uses almost identical rates as interbank rates no fees for using it. That is what we used for years world wide we only take a little cash for tipping rest is card.

We have looked at post office card rates are horrible and you can often do much better getting cash from other exchanges.
Caxton is good option if cant get clarity card.
I don't particularly want to apply for a credit card just because I am also in the midst of saving up to move out and things. We used the Post Office Money Card last year and the rate wasn't the best rate going but it also wasn't the worst. I prefer the method of prepaid cards since it's so much easier to use them, and I can easily top it up whilst I'm out there.

Upvote 0

Hayley In Wonderland

Original Poster
The 2 of us did 5 nights, 3 days in the parks, no dining plan, and we spend about $2000 USD.
We did prepay as much as we possibly could before going too.
WOW, thats a lot of money for 2 people for 5 days. Is that just for food, souvenirs etc? Me and my boyfriend aren't big eaters, and not really into the fancy pants places. I'm also a bit frugal, so I don't like spending a lot of money on things :facepalm:

Upvote 0

Mark Cameron

The 2 of us did 5 nights, 3 days in the parks, no dining plan, and we spend about $2000 USD.
We did prepay as much as we possibly could before going too.
That does seem like a lot of money for 2 people. We went with 3 people for the same amount of time and only spent about $500. But we did have the dining plan. But that your decision obviously, not judging, just curious!

Upvote 0

Hayley In Wonderland

Original Poster
That does seem like a lot of money for 2 people. We went with 3 people for the same amount of time and only spent about $500. But we did have the dining plan. But that your decision obviously, not judging, just curious!
No I wasn't judging either, but as someone who debates buying a £5.00 tshirt due to needing the money elsewhere, I couldn't even imagine spending that much money in such a short period of time :hilarious:

We recently returned from Menorca and we only took around 400.00 euro with us, which got us through the week, granted we were all inclusive, but even that seems like a lot for a week when food and drinks are all already paid for!

Upvote 0

PrincessJasmyn

WOW, thats a lot of money for 2 people for 5 days. Is that just for food, souvenirs etc? Me and my boyfriend aren't big eaters, and not really into the fancy pants places. I'm also a bit frugal, so I don't like spending a lot of money on things :facepalm:

I know, we went crazy! We bought everything we wanted. It was our second trip, our first trip we didnt have much money and didnt want to be left short for the rest of the holiday (were in america for 3 week traveling around, from Australia!) so we were very careful.

We went to A LOT of 'fancy' places this time. We only had 1 QS meal the whole time, the rest were sit down lunch and dinners.
I also bought a fair bit (4 spirit jerseys in different colours between the 2 of us hahah).
We also got engaged the 2nd day there at CRT, so everything after that I justified with "well we have to celebrate babe" :p

We spent about $11000 USD for 18 full days in America (We were there last 2 weeks of May this year :D)

EDIT:: we are also like to drink, I had a fair few cocktails :p

Upvote 0

Mark Cameron

I know, we went crazy! We bought everything we wanted. It was our second trip, our first trip we didnt have much money and didnt want to be left short for the rest of the holiday (were in america for 3 week traveling around, from Australia!) so we were very careful.

We went to A LOT of 'fancy' places this time. We only had 1 QS meal the whole time, the rest were sit down lunch and dinners.
I also bought a fair bit (4 spirit jerseys in different colours between the 2 of us hahah).
We also got engaged the 2nd day there at CRT, so everything after that I justified with "well we have to celebrate babe" :p

We spent about $11000 USD for 18 full days in America (We were there last 2 weeks of May this year :D)

EDIT:: we are also like to drink, I had a fair few cocktails :p
Well........it all makes sense now lol At least you had a blast!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom