1st trip to Disneyland in October

bebert

Original Poster
This will be my first trip to Disneyland. I will be staying at the Disneyland hotel for a conference Oct 5-8. I visit WDW about every year but, I would like to know some must do's at Disneyland. They are offering at post 4:00 admission for $59 which sounds fine to me. I plan on staying at the park from 4-Midnight as long as that matches the park hours for the given day. I also plan on hitting Downtown Disney one night as well.
Any ideas or must do's are much appreciated.

JoMarch

I'd suggest making anything NOT in WDW a priority. Although there are a few things that you must experience both versions - like Pirates and Space Mountain (for a smooth ride!)

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't miss:

Disneyland:
Indiana Jones
Matterhorn
Alice in Wonderland
Pinochhio
Mr. Toad's

California Adventure:
Radiator Springs Racer
World of Color

westie

The great thing about DLR is you can see everything! Its not spread out, you don't need a bus ride, you can walk from one park to another to DTD! My only word of advise is regarding dining, do make res' and use the fastpass system.

JillC LI

Several of us made our first trip to DLR this year, including myself this past May. It is fabulous. I agree with the advice to take in the attractions that are unique to DL, but don't miss POC and BTMRR because they are different and so much better than WDW. There is a much bigger variety of counter-service restaurants at DL than at WDW. WHy don't you do what we advise everyone on the WDW forum and buy the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland - I found it helpful. And the regulars on this forum are extremely knowledgeable and helpful when you have specific questions.

Stevek

As a DL local who has also done WDW 3 times, I'd recommend first doing the things that don't exist or are fairly different at DL. I'd spend at least one of your evenings completely at DCA. The good thing is that the crowds at that time should be pretty reasonable and allow you to hit quite a few rides.

DL:
Pirates
Indy
Big Thunder
Toad
Alice
Matterhorn (unless you have a bad back...you may have one after)
Pirates
Space
Subs
Small World
Roger Rabbit
Pinocchio
Snow White

DCA:
Cars Land
World of Color
Aladdin Musical
Screamin
Red Car Trolley

Downtown Disney:
I personally wouldn't waste much time here. However, I would suggest you spend some time at Trader Sam's at the DL hotel. A must do.

bebert

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I never knew POC & BTMRR were different from WDW. I am very excited to see HM, the entrance que looks very different than WDW. I am sure things have changed a lot and the only images I have of DL are the old sing along videos that were filmed there. The best part of the trip is the only out of pocket expense is my ticket to DL and any merchandise I buy, the rest is on the company dime...woo hoo.

Travel Junkie

Thanks everyone, I never knew POC & BTMRR were different from WDW. I am very excited to see HM, the entrance que looks very different than WDW. I am sure things have changed a lot and the only images I have of DL are the old sing along videos that were filmed there. The best part of the trip is the only out of pocket expense is my ticket to DL and any merchandise I buy, the rest is on the company dime...woo hoo.

Pirates is much longer and much better. BTMRR is roughly the same other than the 3rd lift hill has now been plussed and it is in a different location than WDW. Worth checking out.

I noticed you said you were coming in October. Haunted Mansion will be in Nightmare Before Christmas overlay mode and Space Mountain will have a Ghost Galaxy overlay. Lots of Halloween Décor around as well.

Stevek

Pirates is much longer and much better. BTMRR is roughly the same other than the 3rd lift hill has now been plussed and it is in a different location than WDW. Worth checking out.

I noticed you said you were coming in October. Haunted Mansion will be in Nightmare Before Christmas overlay mode and Space Mountain will have a Ghost Galaxy overlay. Lots of Halloween Décor around as well.

Forgot about HMH. Gotta do that.

TP2000

I'd suggest making anything NOT in WDW a priority.

Already some great advice, and most of it common knowledge to those who have traveled to both coasts.

I'd also suggest @bebert check out many of the excellent threads for people who have never travelled to California before or been to Disneyland lately.

Here's a fabulous thread found on the front page of this forum, as started by @GiveMeTheMusic and it's called "Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans". http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guide-to-dlr-for-wdw-veterans.875596/

@bebert , read through that thread where many local SoCal experts offer DLR advice, and then maybe come back to us here with more specific questions you may have. Although once you read through that thread, it may be down to smaller stuff like "Do they have Splenda available at the Disneyland Hotel lobby coffee stand?" :cool:

But just to get that answer out of the way, yes the Disneyland Hotel has Splenda at its coffee shops.

bebert

Original Poster

I assumed it would be decorated for Halloween/fall so, that makes it even better. Fall is our favorite time of year to hit WDW, I think DLR will be just as great.

bebert

Original Poster
Already some great advice, and most of it common knowledge to those who have traveled to both coasts.

I'd also suggest @bebert check out many of the excellent threads for people who have never travelled to California before or been to Disneyland lately.

Here's a fabulous thread found on the front page of this forum, as started by @GiveMeTheMusic and it's called "Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans". http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guide-to-dlr-for-wdw-veterans.875596/

@bebert , read through that thread where many local SoCal experts offer DLR advice, and then maybe come back to us here with more specific questions you may have. Although once you read through that thread, it may be down to smaller stuff like "Do they have Splenda available at the Disneyland Hotel lobby coffee stand?" :cool:

But just to get that answer out of the way, yes the Disneyland Hotel has Splenda at its coffee shops.
Thanks for the info, very informative thread. The old school FastPass will be a breath of fresh air after using the Magic Bands on my last two trips to WDW.

bebert

Original Poster
I will probably get ridiculed for asking this (I could not find it in any other recent posts), do they still keep the light on in the apartment Walt stayed in at DLR? If so, I HAVE to see this and get a picture.

TP2000

I will probably get ridiculed for asking this (I could not find it in any other recent posts), do they still keep the light on in the apartment Walt stayed in at DLR? If so, I HAVE to see this and get a picture.

That's about like asking if they still fly the American flag at the USS Arizona memorial. :D

WDW may be owned and operated by a charmless corporate borg now, but Disneyland is still Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. You'll love it.

gboiler1

I know you'll love it. Also check out "it's a small world" which is also quite different from its Florida counterpart. I was exposed to DL first before going to WDW several times starting in 2000. WDW was an adjustment and a let down when I had fallen in love with the iasw facade. That's just one example of many.

bebert

Original Poster
I get the feeling from these replys and other posts I am reading that I may be disappointed the next time I go to WDW. It seems like DLR really captures the original theme Walt had and the park is not as commercialized. I know WDW is much larger than DLR but, it seems like it may be a case of bigger is not always better!

JillC LI

I get the feeling from these replys and other posts I am reading that I may be disappointed the next time I go to WDW. It seems like DLR really captures the original theme Walt had and the park is not as commercialized. I know WDW is much larger than DLR but, it seems like it may be a case of bigger is not always better!

I don't think I will disappointed in WDW in general after visiting DL, but I will most definitely be disappointed in POC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom