1st trip—Picked Poly over Beach Club and Contemporary

correcaminos

Aw man, well, next time if this trip goes well! The Contemporary was SO tempting and im
still clearly second guessing myself about it but I thought kids would like the pool area/grounds of Poly more. But yeah, walking to MK is such a plus, especially since we’re big walkers. Oh well, I hope it’s still a good trip 😬
The walk isn't pleasant in super high temps with no clouds or bad weather. Lines for the monorail get long during those times, so see try the other first lol

Dave B

Aw man, well, next time if this trip goes well! The Contemporary was SO tempting and im
still clearly second guessing myself about it but I thought kids would like the pool area/grounds of Poly more. But yeah, walking to MK is such a plus, especially since we’re big walkers. Oh well, I hope it’s still a good trip 😬
Don't second guess, you made the RIGHT choice ;)

Deno

The Poly is beautiful, especially with younger kids. We've been staying there since my youngest was 3 years old and have the best memories. This year they have priced us out so we're trying BC instead. I was super disappointed at first but the more I read about it the more I now think it suits our family more now that my kids are coming up to 12 and 17.

For you, Poly is the right choice IMHO. The atmosphere is absolutely second to none, Contemporary is a bit too 'business-like' to me if you know what I mean? I always envied the walkway back to Contemporary after the fireworks though because..........

After the fireworks are over you will have 'fun' getting back to your resort. You could find yourself waiting for 2 or 3 monorails to go by as a LOT of people head to the resort monorail to get back to the TTC so there are huge queues to get on both monorails out of Magic Kingdom. When the kids are tired and just wanting to go to bed it can put a bit of a dampener on an otherwise great day. Those resort monorails are packed tight too until you get to TTC where they magically empty. The boat can be quite busy too but that's worth considering. The ferryboat is not much fun at that time of night either.

My tip.....request Samoa longhouse. Right next to the Lava Pool and Great Ceremonial House. And if you are a Beatles fan....request the room where John Lennon stayed and where he signed the papers which officially ended the Beatles.

Have an amazing time. The Polynesian is a perfect resort, you'll have a great time.

EDIT: you are in a villa. Ignore the last part about the Beatles :)

Last edited:

mmnw

I like the Contemporary. We spend the most time at MK. You have transportation. We can walk. I love the parks, but can close the room door and find it peaceful inside. I like everything is in one building (especially in bad weather.). Food. Chance to shop or walk around convention building to explore during rainstorm. They have activities for the kids in bad weather. The Wave is a good restaurant. I love being able to watch the fireworks from my bed or balcony when I’m tired. Cast Members tell us about various staircases you can watch the fireworks from. We like leaving our room and catching a glimpse of Minnie.

JTT

Love the Poly!! You can never go wrong staying at the Poly. Great theming, great food, great pool and it’s on the monorail.

ddbowdoin

I will NEVER forget my stay at the poly.

I remember jumping in the pool and hearing the underwater music! Oh the memories.

Skibum1970

I agree with @Dave Ber. There are two good-sized pools at the Poly in addition to the kid’s water playscape. I have stayed at the Poly many times during busy seasons and have never found either pool too crowded to be enjoyable.

Stormalong Bay at Beach Club isn’t the best pool for a 7 and 4 year old unless they remain in the shallow sand play area. There are some very deep areas in the pool, plus a whirlpool, and the “feel” of the pool area is more chaotic than relaxing when you have young children.

If you plan to spend most of your time at the MK, you can’t beat the monorail. Poly also has boat transport to MK as well. And the villas are within walking distance to the TTC, making it easy to jump on the monorail to Epcot.

I say you made the right choice.

Something tells me that you're biased. We love staying at the Contemporary but Polynesian remains on our "to-do" list. I always enjoy walking around the resort and walking the path to the Grand Floridian. Once the bridge and remaining pathway reopen, I would be able to walk from Poly all the way to Magic Kingdom, which may not be as enjoyable on my feet as I think that it would be.

MickeyLuv'r

We've stayed at both, and prefer the Contemporary, or I should say, we prefer the Contemporary Main Tower building. It depends on a little on your priorities. If theming is a top priority, Poly might get higher marks. I tend to prioritize efficiency. I don't mind waiting when it is essential, but I don't like inefficiency. Of all the resorts, BC/YC/Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin and CR are most efficient.

If you have a stroller, and you want to ride the monorail, at Poly, you have to :1. get to the ground floor of your building, walk along an uncovered pathway, then get to the upper floor of the main Poly building. If your stroller folds, then you might want to carry it up the two flights of stairs. If you don't want to carry it, then you have to use the tiny cramped elevators. Elevators that are also used by dining patrons.

At CR, getting to the monorail is much easier, because it is quick and all indoors, at least if you are staying in the main tower building. If anyone in your party is using an electric scooter, this is even more helpful.

Another plus of CR, if it is raining, then you can generally get to all monorail dining without getting wet (unless it is VERY windy, except Narcoosee's). For a food court trip, it might not matter, but if you make an effort to dress for a character meal or just any nice dinner, then staying dry on the way to dinner is helpful. Again this is also helpful if anyone in your party uses a mobility device (stroller, scooter, etc.). CR also offers a boat to Wilderness Lodge/Ft. Wilderness for dining.

Within CR, I much prefer the main building, as again, I appreciate efficiency. Getting from one's room to the CR quick serve is very quick. The only time CR is not quick is if you need to do laundry.

I also like being able to walk to the parks. At CR, you can walk or take the monorail, though we rarely take the monorail...If you are leaving MK, and can keep a fairly brisk pace, walking is usually faster than taking the monorail.
Keep in mind, the monorail is not 100% reliable. When it goes down, WDW offers buses, but those can be slow.

That said, the Poly pool is more exciting than the pool complex at CR. That said, I also find I prefer the decor and layout of the CR rooms better. IMO, Poly is a bit dark. CR rooms aren't as fun as some of the other hotels. CR bathrooms have very odd sinks. They are very flat and don't drain well at all. there also isn't much counter space. We end up using one of the sinks as a makeshift countertop.

Poly dining options are better than CR's, but CR offers a shuttle boat to WL.

If getting to HS early for a boarding group winds up being important when the parks open, then staying within walking distance of HS is very helpful!

Last, if you are torn between resorts, split stays are potentially an option to consider, just know all the rules of how they work. WDW will transfer your luggage for free; it just takes a few hours. It also helps to pack luggage with a split stay in mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom