1st time guest - Is on site worth $2,000 more?

captainkidd

Original Poster
Long time WDW veteran, 1st time Disneyland planner. Would LOVE to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for the ultimate immersive Disney experience, but the cost is as ridiculous as the Grand Floridian. So, opinions, for a 1st timer, is it worth the extra $2,300 more to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for 6 nights over the Fairfield Inn down the street?

mikenatcity1

If you're wanting this to be an amazing experience, once in a lifetime and to take advantage of Extra Magic Hour and have the money for it- sure. Randomly, they have characters roaming through the lobby and main building through the day (awesome to come down to see Goofy and Pluto during my visit in September). It's one of my favorite hotels for any Disney property domestically (bar far one of the largest). If you are wanting it for convenience mainly, no- go to one of the good neighbor hotels- not as good quality (some) but the same distance. It's a very different mindset than WDW :)

Phroobar

If you're wanting this to be an amazing experience, once in a lifetime and to take advantage of Extra Magic Hour and have the money for it- sure. Randomly, they have characters roaming through the lobby and main building through the day (awesome to come down to see Goofy and Pluto during my visit in September). It's one of my favorite hotels for any Disney property domestically (bar far one of the largest). If you are wanting it for convenience mainly, no- go to one of the good neighbor hotels- not as good quality (some) but the same distance. It's a very different mindset than WDW :)
I've never though of the Disneyland hotel as being anything special as far as the room is concerned. Remember you can still wander around the hotels and enjoy the restaurants even if you aren't booked there. The room is just a place to sleep. It's best to chose one of the off site hotels since they are just as close and sometimes offer better rooms.

Y-Guy

We lived in CA for a couple years, and got a DL AP - had a blast. But all but one time we stayed off site. We found the hotels on the corner of Katella & Harbor were the ideal ones for us. These included the Hilton, Sheraton & Marriott. We got very good at Pricelining those hotels for around $89/night my guess is today those would probably run $150/night. We like these hotels since we could walk across the street and enter through the DCA side gate and walk though to DL that way.

We stayed once at the Grand Californian and loved it, but had my wife not worked for TDS and gotten in one pre-opening deal we wouldn't have paid that much for the room.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I see it's not the closest, but from the pics and vids I've seen, the Fairfield Inn looks like the best choice. Any other opinions?

Darkbeer1

Before we get to the Hotel, Please DO NOT go to your namesake while visiting Anaheim, unless you want to get food poisoning!!!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/captain-kidds-family-restaurant-anaheim

As for the Fairfield Inn, it is an Old property, outdoor corridors and not worth it.

Next to it, is the new Courtyard by Marriott, which is a good choice. TA rates it #2 in Anaheim. Also has a nice Water Play area.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...m_Theme_Park_Entrance-Anaheim_California.html

I also like the new properties at the corner of Harbor and Katella, Hyatt House, SpringHill Suites and the Residence Inn. Please be careful, as many Hotels in Anaheim have multiple locations, Easy walking distance, with lots of good options to eat, drink and shop.

Remember for a week, things like free breakfasts add up in savings.

Are you just going to the DLR for a week, or will you spend some time checking out other great Southland attractions?

www.visittheoc.com

captainkidd

Original Poster
That Courtyard did look nice, but I could stay at Paradise Pier for the same price. What I liked about Fairfield our the rooms are Disney decorated and the pool area was the best looking of the properties on that strip.

westie

Six nights is quite a long time. You can see all the parks in 2 to 3 days. I still and always recommend the Grand California.

dweezil78

Long time WDW veteran, 1st time Disneyland planner. Would LOVE to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for the ultimate immersive Disney experience, but the cost is as ridiculous as the Grand Floridian. So, opinions, for a 1st timer, is it worth the extra $2,300 more to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for 6 nights over the Fairfield Inn down the street?

Not worth it UNLESS magic morning hours are essential to you. Otherwise, you are still free to visit the resorts, make reservations at the restaurants, grab a cocktail, etc. The rooms are nothing special and like others have said, you can just as easily walk to neighboring hotels.

All that said, there is something special about walking into the Grand Californian after a long day the parks and knowing that when you wake up the next morning, you are just footsteps away from the front gates to both parks.

Darkbeer1

Have you checked the Howard Johnson's?

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/

What is your price range and dates? I will do a quick search and see what would match up for you, seems you want walking distance and a nice pool area for starts.

I am a local and know the area very well, plus also know many of the senior Hotel Management in the area due to multiple reasons.

I have been on property at the Fairfield multiple times, it is about 40 years old, and the room I saw was nothing special. You can do a lot better IMHO.

The Hyatt House has a nice large pool at ground level. The SpringHill Suites Anaheim Resorts has a nice rooftop pool area. Great place to watch the Disneyland Fireworks.

bluerhythym

If you can swing it, it is really nice. I live fairly close to the resort, so the only time I stay there is when I can splurge on one of the Disney hotels. Staying inside the Disney bubble adds another layer of magic that you just don't get staying elsewhere, it depends on how much you value that.

There's something special about staying at the Disneyland hotel. Its expensive, but something I try to splurge for every couple of years. I'd say go for it IF your trip falls within the summer months so you can use the really cool pool options they have.

If you are the type that doesn't spend a whole lot of time at the resorts but still want to have that Disney feel, then I'd recommend the Anaheim Hilton with a Disney view. It's a really nice hotel an the Disney view they offer beats anything that the on site resorts have to offer IMO. The hotel rooms have floor to ceiling windows that literally look right down Main Street USA and see the castle and it's only about $160 a night. You also get views of the back side of the world of color at night at well. They have reliable bus transportation right outside on the art busses for a fee, or just down the street you can hop on a bus at the toy story lot for free if you don't want to walk to the parks.

I'm not a big fan of most of the other Hotels in the area that I've stayed at. Most only have one window and if you keep the drapes open you have people walking by all day and can see right in your room.

dweezil78

There's something special about staying at the Disneyland hotel. Its expensive, but something I try to splurge for every couple of years. I'd say go for it IF your trip falls within the summer months so you can use the really cool pool options they have.

This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I feel like Disneyland Hotel is more of a place to visit whereas Grand Californian is a place to stay. As cool as the pool area is and I do love Trader Sam's and Steakhouse 55, the hotel still feels largely like an older convention hotel and lacks the warmth and deluxe resort feeling you get at the GC. Not to mention the side entrance to DCA and the incredible views overlooking the park. To me, with the similarity in price, it's hard to justify staying at the Disneyland Hotel even with all the fun classic additions from recent years.

NobodyElse

One compromise would be to stay off site for four days, then transfer to the Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian for a couple of days.

Darkbeer1

I'm not a big fan of most of the other Hotels in the area that I've stayed at. Most only have one window and if you keep the drapes open you have people walking by all day and can see right in your room.

Let me say, there has been a lot of new Hotels built in the last 10 years, many within the last 5.

Most new style Hotels have interior corridors and no windows where folks can easily see in.

Most of the Inns (aka Motels) have outer corridors and windows looking out on the walkway.

Going off the top of my head, the walking distance Hotels/Inns that have the Outer Corridor Window Issue are, Four Points Sheraton (formerly Hotel Menage), Quality Inn on Manchester, Fairfield, Camelot, Tropicana, Park Place Inn, Park Vue Inn, Desert Inn, Del Sol, Anaheim Inn, Grand Legacy, Anaheim Hotel, Castle Inn, and Candy Cane Inn.

Those Hotels with the safer Interior Corridors, Howard Johnson, Courtyard, Holiday Inn Express, Ramada Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Hyatt House, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, Desert Palms, Sheraton Park, and the Red Lion.

I much prefer the Interior Corridor group in general, and another reason I don't like the Fairfield.

Amd I agree with those, go walk around the three Disney Hotels, but don't stay there. For example, the Sheraton Park Club Rooms are about the same price as the DLH, but you get much better service, especially in the overnight hours, free meals, and great views of the resort. (Disneyland Hotel Rooms have very few that can see the parks).

captainkidd

Original Poster
"Those Hotels with the safer Interior Corridors, Howard Johnson, Courtyard, Holiday Inn Express, Ramada Plaza, Hotel Indigo, Hyatt House, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, Desert Palms, Sheraton Park, and the Red Lion."

Of these, what is the closest to Disneyland? Best pool?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom