1st rD event - what to really expect?

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Ok...I've been bugging you guys in this forum since I signed up back this Spring.

Is there a good trip report/forum thread that details what really to expect for my 1st rD event? I've never run any event that wasn't local to my hometown. I'm doing this alone and I'll be at WDW from 10/30-11/6 staying at All Star Movies.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'll be there from the 31st through the 7th. Maybe we can meet up Wednesday evening before the Expo starts for a bite to eat and you can pick my brain? Most of my races are solo, so I understand your anxiety about doing the 1st one alone. PM if you want to.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Ok...I've been bugging you guys in this forum since I signed up back this Spring.

Is there a good trip report/forum thread that details what really to expect for my 1st rD event? I've never run any event that wasn't local to my hometown. I'm doing this alone and I'll be at WDW from 10/30-11/6 staying at All Star Movies.

You can probably learn a lot more from @LAKid53 than me, but here's my two cents: you'll most likely see how incredibly well organized the runs are and that you feel less "alone" running there alone than in a local race. Where I live I am very much in the back of the pack - it seem that for most races here only the fast to really fast runners compete, so I am often on the course with no one else in sight or very far ahead of me. The other thing that I've learned (and appreciated!) is respect for starting blocks - I try to respect that I have a slower pace and try to stay towards the back but in mixed races (runners and walkers) I'm often having to dodge walkers who have been asked to let all runners start ahead of them.

I'll be doing my first solo trip for the DLP races (ran the 5 km and half during Marathon weekend solo but was not at the resort solo) and must say I'm looking forward to it.

Texas84

Browse the race threads here. There are plenty of reports but they may be old. Things have changed a bit over time.

Some tips:

GET THERE EARLY. I usually get up about 0300 and carry a pre-made bagel with peanut butter and something to drink on the bus.

If you have a long line at Movies don't stress. They do an excellent job with the buses and you will get on one quickly. They try to fill those buses so chances are you will be sitting next to someone. Try to start a conversation and tell them it's your first. Most Disney runners are very friendly. Just be aware they may be very sleepy. :)

The traffic to the start line will look horrible but don't stress. Disney does a great job getting cars and buses in.

Once off the bus follow the crowds through bag check. There is a stage with a DJ and announcements will be made from there, such as move to your corral. There will probably be characters there for photos.

Big tip: Lines for port-a-potties are shorter in the runners-only corral area. Newbies don't know that. They will also have tables with water. There will be another stage at the start line and big screens for the runners far away. Hosts will be out to entertain, inform, and get you fired up. The start is a lot of fun.

Look at the race map when it is released. Hydration breaks are usually at 1 mile to 1.5 miles. If you don't like port-a-potties, park bathrooms are open. There will be plenty of photo ops on the course with Disney photographers. Many CMs come out early to cheer you on. I love that.

The finish is very organized and the volunteers guide you through it. If you are doing the challenge make sure you get all your bling. Ask a volunteer. They are everywhere. You will pass tables of water and Powerade, runDisney snack boxes and fruit, usually bananas, and there will be photographers with a race background. Then exit through checked bag pick up and head for the bus.

Thank all the volunteers. They are awesome. Is WDW still using volunteers? Hope so.

Mainly, have fun and don't worry about your time.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Browse the race threads here. There are plenty of reports but they may be old. Things have changed a bit over time.

Some tips:

GET THERE EARLY. I usually get up about 0300 and carry a pre-made bagel with peanut butter and something to drink on the bus.

If you have a long line at Movies don't stress. They do an excellent job with the buses and you will get on one quickly. They try to fill those buses so chances are you will be sitting next to someone. Try to start a conversation and tell them it's your first. Most Disney runners are very friendly. Just be aware they may be very sleepy. :)

The traffic to the start line will look horrible but don't stress. Disney does a great job getting cars and buses in.

Once off the bus follow the crowds through bag check. There is a stage with a DJ and announcements will be made from there, such as move to your corral. There will probably be characters there for photos.

Big tip: Lines for port-a-potties are shorter in the runners-only corral area. Newbies don't know that. They will also have tables with water. There will be another stage at the start line and big screens for the runners far away. Hosts will be out to entertain, inform, and get you fired up. The start is a lot of fun.

Look at the race map when it is released. Hydration breaks are usually at 1 mile to 1.5 miles. If you don't like port-a-potties, park bathrooms are open. There will be plenty of photo ops on the course with Disney photographers. Many CMs come out early to cheer you on. I love that.

The finish is very organized and the volunteers guide you through it. If you are doing the challenge make sure you get all your bling. Ask a volunteer. They are everywhere. You will pass tables of water and Powerade, runDisney snack boxes and fruit, usually bananas, and there will be photographers with a race background. Then exit through checked bag pick up and head for the bus.

Thank all the volunteers. They are awesome. Is WDW still using volunteers? Hope so.

Mainly, have fun and don't worry about your time.

I know rD discourages bringing the gear bag handed out during the Expo, but my advice is use it. Weather is iffy in November. Pack a shirt to change into and maybe a throw away poncho. The heavens were getting ready to open up at the end of the SW Half in April, so volunteers were hurrying runners to get their medals, photos, bags and on the bus. Most important, pack a pair of flip flops in the gear bag. Your feet will thank you, trust me.

And yes, @Texas84, they still use volunteers. That was a CA law that forced the Anaheim races to employ temps, not volunteers.

surfsupdon

Big suggestion.

Get your breakfast food the day before and leave it in your room. It’s never a guarantee what will be open, if anything.

Simple for me is a plain bagel with peanut butter, banana, and parfait. I eat the parfait in the room and bagel on the bus.

Things will not go your way. But don’t let it affect your experience. They do a great job, so focus on the fun, the competition, and enjoy the weekend.

Also hydrate with water your whole trip!!! I buy a case of water for the room and always try to stop when I pass a water fountain for a sip!! It’s the runDisney way.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Lay everything out the night before - race shirt with bib attached, running bra, shorts/leggings/skirt, shoes & socks, visor, fitness watch, etc. Put extra clothes & shoes in gear bag. Plug in all electronics to charge while you sleep. Set out stuff you plan to eat before leaving your resort. In other words, do everything you can the night before, including showering (will help you sleep).

As @surfsupdon said, hydrate throughout the day before. When you wake up race morning isn't the time to start consuming lots of water - or you'll spend all your time in the porta potties, trust me. Eat early the night before, but not a heavy meal. You want to "carb load" for 1 -2 days before the race, but not the night before.

RunningKoen

@DznyGrlSD have you ever done an 'normal' race before?

My first runDisney event was my first visit to a Disney park, while having at least done 20 races in the Netherlands.
After a while, you get the hang of races and you just go with the flow. runDisney has a rather normale race flow, despite all the Disney things around it.

runDisney can claim all the magic they want, but in the end, it's a running race through Disney. There are some small changes , mostly because of the security and lots of practical things to handle all those people, but there's not really a special thing you must know that is totally different from a normal race.

At least, that was my approach for the marathon in WDW and it went smooth.

Edit: Dont say you're bugging us! I've loved your presence and determination with your training.

Last edited:

rufio

I'm sorry for thread-jacking but it seems silly to make a new one to ask the same question!

I've seen mixed opinions on this. I read one report that said absolutely do NOT get there over an hour early because there's no point. What is the purpose of arriving two hours early? (Note: I'm doing the 5k and registered with an 11-12 minute mile.)

Is driving a bad idea? I'll have my husband with me so he was planning to drop me off wherever I'm supposed to be dropped and then park.

Thank goodness! Bathrooms are my biggest worry, especially knowing I'll need to drink something to hydrate in the morning. I have a bird sized bladder. This relieves a lot of anxiety.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm sorry for thread-jacking but it seems silly to make a new one to ask the same question!

I've seen mixed opinions on this. I read one report that said absolutely do NOT get there over an hour early because there's no point. What is the purpose of arriving two hours early? (Note: I'm doing the 5k and registered with an 11-12 minute mile.)

Is driving a bad idea? I'll have my husband with me so he was planning to drop me off wherever I'm supposed to be dropped and then park.

Thank goodness! Bathrooms are my biggest worry, especially knowing I'll need to drink something to hydrate in the morning. I have a bird sized bladder. This relieves a lot of anxiety.

if you are taking a bus from the resort to the starting area, you need to be on the bus by a certain time. If I remember, by 4AM for the 5K and 10K races, 3:30AM for the Half & Full. Traffic can get backed up, especially for the very popular races. Runners need to be in their corral 30 minutes prior to race time. Buses don't drop runners off at the entrance to the staging area. It's a good 10 minute walk to the entrance and then you go through security. Those who drive themselves will park further away than that - he won't be dropping you off somewhere and then parking. I wouldn't advise waiting until the last moment to arrive....you might end up missing the start of your corral.

There's plenty to do - food/beverages, a DJ, photo ops. Unless you're in the first wave of Corral A, you're gonna wait to run anyway. Why not arrive in time to use the bathroom, warm up, etc. This is my 4th year running at Disney. I'd rather have time to do what I need to do before I head to my corral than be stuck in traffic wondering if I'll even get there.

dreamfinder

Definitely echo the sentiment to read the recaps in the event threads and the trip report sections. I think the biggest difference between a runDisney event and most local races will be the size of the event, and the amount of time standing around before hand. There aren't many local 5ks or 10ks that are going to be 10,000 runners, and most local races you can park 30 mins before race time and have no issues registering and getting ready before gun time. Knowing that there will be alot of people, and alot of waiting will help.

Texas84

@vitani88 I recommend getting there early just to avoid stressing over being late. I would rather get there early, relax and warm up. There are always runners sprinting to the corrals because they are late.

Two hours is a bit much but they are saying that for the last minute types. Just like telling your chronically late family and friends to get there at 4 when you need to leave at 5.

They do a good job getting cars in there. No worries driving in. There will be traffic but it moves. Another reason to get there early. Just don't think you'll zip right in like a slow day at Epcot.

lukacseven

Definitely echo the sentiment to read the recaps in the event threads and the trip report sections. I think the biggest difference between a runDisney event and most local races will be the size of the event, and the amount of time standing around before hand. There aren't many local 5ks or 10ks that are going to be 10,000 runners, and most local races you can park 30 mins before race time and have no issues registering and getting ready before gun time. Knowing that there will be alot of people, and alot of waiting will help.

Yes, It's a LOT bigger than your hometown races (even if your hometown is NYC). That said, it remains one of the best/most organized endurance events. Just like the parks, expect longer lines, more security, but also more fun, entertainment, characters, amenities. Disney puts the same attention to details into the races as they do everything else. From the expo to the post-race, they really make the entire weekend an event. Arrive early and soak in the experience. Don't stress over the running part and enjoy every every aspect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom