1st Cruise, getting to Port Canaveral?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So here's a question for those that rent and return to port...

Does your whole party have to check in together at the registration desk? Or can the straggler come in on their own?

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're saying that renting the car was cheaper than the transfers? You're not saying that the air for 6, plus the car was less than the transfers, are you?

I think he's simply staying per head.. vs per group pricing on the transfers. Renting a car or van gets more attractive as your party size goes up

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You're saying that renting the car was cheaper than the transfers? You're not saying that the air for 6, plus the car was less than the transfers, are you?
I think he's simply staying per head.. vs per group pricing on the transfers. Renting a car or van gets more attractive as your party size goes up

Correct. Renting a car both ways was cheaper than buying DCL transfers. $480 for transfers vs. roughly $230 for the rentals plus maybe $25 in gas. Plus we could then hit Walmart/Publix for food and water and a few other items once we were down there instead of paying Disney prices for our one night on-property before the cruise. 😁

Airfare kills us now that we no longer can fly standby. 😢

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Does your whole party have to check in together at the registration desk? Or can the straggler come in on their own?

You can check in whenever (that's what we did - Dropped everyone else off at the port terminal, I returned the rental and took the shuttle back while they went through security) but I think for boarding they usually want you all together.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

No, all must check in together.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Right. I should amend my comment - Going through security is a free-for-all. Checking in you all need to be there.

Stupid 3:20am phone calls... I've been off all day... :mad:

Is it not - like bag check at a park! Which is why we use the security check point leading from Deck 3 of the garage to the terminal.

DisneyJoe

Depending on the time of year, trip insurance isn't always a waste of money. My wife nearly had a panic attack when our daughter started throwing up Monday night/Tuesday morning before our Saturday cruise last month.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get travel insurance whenever traveling internationally - if the ship's medical center cannot handle a situation, they may need to evacuate you by helicopter and drop you in a foreign port and then you are on your own to get home. This can cost tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. Buy the insurance.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I was directed to the security checkpoint on the second(?) level (possibly the same one you mentioned), so I breezed through security in 5 minutes and met up with the rest of my family right as they reached the front of the check-in line.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get travel insurance whenever traveling internationally - if the ship's medical center cannot handle a situation, they may need to evacuate you by helicopter and drop you in a foreign port and then you are on your own to get home. This can cost tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. Buy the insurance.

After what I heard happened to someone on our cruise (injured, had to go to the hospital in a port and then back to the States for further medical work), this is definitely food for thought for our next cruise.

DisneyJoe

After what I heard happened to someone on our cruise (injured, had to go to the hospital in a port and then back to the States for further medical work), this is definitely food for thought for our next cruise.
I've heard of $75k-$150k medical and medical transport evac bills, so I don't even hesitate anymore. Traveling domestically NJ to MCO and back, not an issue, but if I leave the US, I always have insurance.

jeffnheather

To piggy-back on the trip insurance topic...I ALSO agree that it is worth the money. ESPECIALLY since you are going in September which can mean the potential for hurricanes, etc., and I believe the DCL trip insurance covers that.

LSLS

Same here. We have never done insurance before, but after our last cruise where we lost a day due to the hurricane (DCL went above and beyond with it for what it's worth), and traveling with kids, an extra few hundred dollars is probably worth it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Same here. We have never done insurance before, but after our last cruise where we lost a day due to the hurricane (DCL went above and beyond with it for what it's worth), and traveling with kids, an extra few hundred dollars is probably worth it.

It's a few hundred dollars per person.

ChuckElias

It's a few hundred dollars per person.
Depends on where you purchase it and other factors
Last I read it was 8% of the cruise cost, is that not true?
If you purchase DCL's insurance, I think the 8% is right, or very close. But as Joe mentioned, you have a lot of options. My company uses Allianz for travel insurance, and it's a very good product. You can do a Google search for "travel insurance" and you'll find lots of options to compare. Just take the time to figure out what you're actually getting for the price.

aliceismad

If you google insure my trip, you can put in your trip info and get a variety of insurance offers that you can compare. I won’t ever do a cruise without insurance.

I also agree that I would never fly in the day of a cruise. I’ve been delayed on planes far too often and wouldn’t want to risk it. Even with a direct flight, there’s a risk of your luggage getting lost, plane problems, etc.

We also found it very easy to rent a car, drive to Port Canaveral, and then ride the free shuttle from the Port Canaveral rental office to the port. We’ve also ridden a shuttle directly from the port to MCO, which was fine but more expensive than the one-way rental. If you have a small kiddo, you may weigh whether you want to take their car seat, if you’re ok with them riding in a seat provided by the rental car company, or whether you’re ok with them riding in a shuttle without a car seat.

LAKid53

Premium Member
If you purchase DCL's insurance, I think the 8% is right, or very close. But as Joe mentioned, you have a lot of options. My company uses Allianz for travel insurance, and it's a very good product. You can do a Google search for "travel insurance" and you'll find lots of options to compare. Just take the time to figure out what you're actually getting for the price.

When I priced insurance, it was $200-$300 per person. That included the same company Disney uses for its cruises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom