1986 - House of the Future: Week 4

JokersWild

Original Poster
Week 4
Head of Household Competition
Blue Sky World's Fair
1602294862300.png

The cat's out of the bag. This is the reason you couldn't use "it's a small world" in Fantasyland: because "it's a small world" is getting it's own land! This week, you'll be creating a land anchored by Blue Sky Disneyland's "it's a small world". The sky is the limit with what you deliver this week: your only requirement is that you deliver "it's a small world" as the main E-ticket of the land.

Your project will be due on Wednesday, October 14 at 11:59:59 EST/8:59:59 PST

As always, whoever stands out in their contributions to this land will be named Head of Household.​

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
A Small World Land? What if everthing was Small. Just a land with nothing but miniatures. A whole land that is Storybookland Canal Boats

Small World is supposed to be a papercraft project by kids. Maybe a whole land made out of oversized craft projects and toys

Small World is a World's Fair attraction. Maybe a world's fair/epcot type thing

The Nintendo Wii would look right at home placed into the facade of Small World among the other geometric shapes. Let's theme the land to Mii Sports!

DashHaber

Well, this is certainly going to be an interesting round. "it's a small world" as a land, complete with the signature E-ticket attraction, eh?

Probably the biggest challenge I can think of is that it is a celebration of the world, and yet which nations should we pull from for attractions, restaurants, or stores? Deciding that will certainly be a big factor.

As for the land itself, going with a World's Fair approach would definitely work. It also helps that one visual element we do have on hand is the distinctive Mary Blair art-style that is a signature of the original ride.

PerGron

So I know the judges didn’t like how much we put into Seasons of Fantasy (though, to me, Blue Sky means screw realism, we can make this park take up a whole continent if we want), but what if we broke this down into “Neighborhoods”

In the center, we’d have the attraction, but with different neighborhoods being stylized versions of an Utopian society where each country gets along perfectly. Our neighborhoods could be set to the continents

-The Americas
- Africa/Oceania
- Eurasia

We can make this land smaller and focus more on the land feel than we do attractions. I think if we focused more on walkthroughs, art exhibits, dining, and shopping, this could be neat.

DashHaber

So I know the judges didn’t like how much we put into Seasons of Fantasy (though, to me, Blue Sky means screw realism, we can make this park take up a whole continent if we want), but what if we broke this down into “Neighborhoods”

In the center, we’d have the attraction, but with different neighborhoods being stylized versions of an Utopian society where each country gets along perfectly. Our neighborhoods could be set to the continents

-The Americas
- Africa/Oceania
- Eurasia

We can make this land smaller and focus more on the land feel than we do attractions. I think if we focused more on walkthroughs, art exhibits, dining, and shopping, this could be neat.
So, kinda like a more colorful, condensed World Showcase?

I have to say, there's a hook in that idea. It would certainly help this land stand out by having more of an emphasis on atmosphere and learning versus rides like the other sections.

Chaos Cat

> Unit has noticed that the House of the Future is not decorated for Halloween yet
> Unit will go out in the early morning to the source of theme park Halloween, Universal Studio Orlando, in order to fix this.

Yes, this is my very weird way of saying I'm going to Universal for my birthday tomorrow, which is probably a terrible idea, but I really want to see those house, dammit! So I'm probably not going to be active tomorrow, sorry!

Last edited:

Outbound

If we go through with this, I worry our entire park concept will tank. We have a mysterious New England Habor, a nuanced Adventure Port, and a seasonally-inspired Fantasyland. And then... Mary Blair! Cartoons! Cutouts! Happy fun fun!

It doesn't fit. The only way to make it fit is to make It's a Small World darker and I don't think anyone wants to do that.

The only way I could forsee this remotely fitting is turning into a Mickey's Toontown / Storybook Circus minor land. With one It's a Small World, two flat rides, one quick service, and a few gift shops. Effectively the size of a "season" in Fantasyland.

NateD1226

I honestly don’t really think the World Showcase-y type land is the best choice. It just feels overdone. I think we should go somewhere that the judges don’t expect like Pi’s earlier idea of the oversized stuff idea

DashHaber

I honestly don’t really think the World Showcase-y type land is the best choice. It just feels overdone. I think we should go somewhere that the judges don’t expect like Pi’s earlier idea of the oversized stuff idea
Perhaps we could lean into the papercraft idea like Pi mentioned? There's something about papercraft that feels like a good way of capturing that Mary Blair aesthetic.

PerGron

The biggest thing here is it should be atmospheric with basic attractions. We all had our fun with the many amazing attractions in Seasons of Fantasy and even Adventure Atoll, but here we should make it about the unity of all people on the planet.

I think we need to take Its a Small World into a more mature realm like we have with other lands. Don’t break it down by countries because 1. Its way too much and way too big
2. Dividing countries (or probably even continents) is literally breaking the idea of “It’s a Small World” which is about unity.

This might be way too dark and way too ballsy, but what if, instead of making It’s a Small World land this bright and colorful Mary Blair land, what if we designed our own utopian society inspired by the world coming together.

Have theming more focused on sustainable farming, cultural exchange, etc. things that we as a global society need to work on. Make the land about coming together for the good of all people and by improving our planet by doing so.

Outbound

The biggest thing here is it should be atmospheric with basic attractions. We all had our fun with the many amazing attractions in Seasons of Fantasy and even Adventure Atoll, but here we should make it about the unity of all people on the planet.

I think we need to take Its a Small World into a more mature realm like we have with other lands. Don’t break it down by countries because 1. Its way too much and way too big
2. Dividing countries (or probably even continents) is literally breaking the idea of “It’s a Small World” which is about unity.

This might be way too dark and way too ballsy, but what if, instead of making It’s a Small World land this bright and colorful Mary Blair land, what if we designed our own utopian society inspired by the world coming together.

Have theming more focused on sustainable farming, cultural exchange, etc. things that we as a global society need to work on. Make the land about coming together for the good of all people and by improving our planet by doing so.
Sounds a bit like Tomorrowland.

Wait a minute.

Wait a minute...

"you'll be creating a land anchored by Blue Sky Disneyland's "it's a small world". The sky is the limit with what you deliver this week: your only requirement is that you deliver "it's a small world" as the main E-ticket of the land."

Just make it Tomorrowland, just make it Tomorrowland, just make it Tomorrowland.

1602302908371.png

E-Ticket is IASW for global cooperation. Then the rest of us just hijack the project and do Tomorrowland.

spacemt354

Chili's

Wait a minute.

Wait a minute...

"you'll be creating a land anchored by Blue Sky Disneyland's "it's a small world". The sky is the limit with what you deliver this week: your only requirement is that you deliver "it's a small world" as the main E-ticket of the land."

Just make it Tomorrowland, just make it Tomorrowland, just make it Tomorrowland.

View attachment 504072

E-Ticket is IASW for global cooperation. Then the rest of us just hijack the project and do Tomorrowland.
2w57dwwflh151.jpg

PerGron

Wait a minute.

Wait a minute...

View attachment 504072

A utopian Tomorrowland anchored by It’s a Small World celebration global cooperation? Hmmm...

DashHaber

Wait a minute.

Wait a minute...

View attachment 504072

I feel like Tomorrowland tends to be more about scientific wonder, but there is something to be said for envisioning this utopian world where we can showcase how nations across the globe can come together for a better tomorrow. We might not necessarily keep the classic Mary Blair aesthetic for the whole land, but we can preserve the attraction's core spirit and message in this promise.

Heck, I can give you a land name right here...Small World of Tomorrow.

PerGron

I feel like Tomorrowland tends to be more about scientific wonder,
Well in a global community of cooperation, science would advance far quicker anyway, so I think that it’s as fair a theme as anything.

We could still have a PeopleMover of sorts, run on green energy, we could have some form of successor to Living with the Land about sustainability in food production, we could have tons of stuff all about a utopian future and scientific advancements, all under the umbrella of a unified global people

DashHaber

Well in a global community of cooperation, science would advance far quicker anyway, so I think that it’s as fair a theme as anything.

We could still have a PeopleMover of sorts, run on green energy, we could have some form of successor to Living with the Land about sustainability in food production, we could have tons of stuff all about a utopian future and scientific advancements, all under the umbrella of a unified global people
True, true. I guess I meant Tomorrowland has more of a "gee-whiz!" energy to it, with its pulp science fiction flair. This, on the other hand, almost feels like a small slice of Epcot (particularly old-school Epcot) placed within a castle park, but it's a slice that would work well.

Honestly, I'm really digging this idea the more I think of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom