1986: An Imagineering Competition - Hub Thread

TheOriginalTiki

It's rematch time as Mickeyfan faces off against Tiki in a series of musically inclined debate topics. Questions include...

1. What is the most sing-along-able song from a Disney movie?
2. Pitch a Fantasia E-Ticket
3. Who is the best live entertainment act to ever grace a Disney park or resort?

Going live TONIGHT at 11PM Eastern/8PM Pacific.

spacemt354

Chili's
Project Veto Reviews
Unit has a busy day today and needs to get this in now or system will not be able to.

Dash

Analyzing....

An additional shop would fit in well in the entrance land, but unit detects perhaps contestant thought this was a One Sentence Competition submission. Unit would have preferred more detail, but appreciates you being so early.

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 1/5
-------------------
Total: 19/25

Outbound

Analyzing....

Great job filling the need of the land for streetmosphere. Your attention to detail and research did a lot for this project. It really fits in with the entrance land.

Creativity: 10/10
Detail: 4/5
---------------------
Total: 23/25

PerGron

Analyzing....

This zoo further complements the Oasis entrance at Animal Kingdom. With these exhibits at the front of the park, it sets the stage for what the park hopes to inspire. Also the detail was off the charts, even including the old latin/biological names for some of the animals.

Detail: 5/5
--------------------
Total: 24/25

AceAstro

Analyzing....

Unit is wondering if you are using real animals for this. Unit is also concerned about the practicality as a mode of transportation. That would be a lot of dogs for a small capacity when you could have a horse pull more at a time. Nonetheless, this is something out of the box and deserves notice for that.

Realism: 8/10
Detail: 3/5
---------------------
Total: 21/25

Nigel

Analyzing....

A spinner attraction would fit in nicely in the entrance land. But unit detects either rushed time or lack of detail. Still unit appreciates the effort of getting this in on time, but would like to see more about the attraction, like a picture of the ride not just stock pictures.

Creativity: 9/10
Detail: 1/5
--------------------

TheOriginalTiki

Alright, for the first time in over a month I'm dipping my toes back into written reviews. To start with, I and the rest of the judges were VERY concerned about going with a singular IP. As cool as those hypothetical Star Wars park maps are, and they very much fit my current fascination with the "botique park" set up...it would have been an utter roadblock in the creativity department for the rest of the season. Going with an artic Animal Kingdom is just a freaking cool idea and one that really fits in line with this group's sensibilities.

So yea, having the opening area be the artic Oasis is just so fitting. The Oasis is one of my all time favorite Disney lands and CERTAINLY the best "establishing shot reveal" in any US Disney park with the way the slow build up to the Tree of Life is accomplished. This had a lot of really cool elements to it that amplify the Oasis concept. I really ate up the animal exhibits and unlike Busch Gardens (one of the things in that park I really wasn't impressed with) you really went out of your way to amplify the theme within the habitats. Hell, even the Mickey and Minnie meet n' greet I'd stand in line for just for the stupid AA puffins, haha :p

The shopping and dining I'll admit is a little mixed but that's okay because there's not much you can do with the theme. I'm really not feeling the "cafeteria" vibes of the main dining and shop location and think you would have been better served to come up with more naturalistic settings than the science base. The cave shop however is really great. My one addition to your concept would be to have the exit turnstiles of the E Ticket go directly into the shop to prevent guests from going against the flow of traffic. One final AA mammoth in the exit walkway that's hidden away from guests is too perfect thematically for people who haven't ridden the ride to be walking against the crowd to see.

And that E-Ticket. Oh...my...GOD! What you guys basically managed to do was take all the emotion and majesty of Flight of Passage and build it into a physical experience. I really can't tell you how much I love this thing. All the IP backstory and brick-by-brick recreations of movie locations in the world can't replace a good atmospheric dark ride that exists purely for the atmosphere of it all. The pacing is just so wonderful and the build-up to the mammoths is just iconic in its execution. The final scene is simple spine-tingling and legitimately struck me in the feels. The ice cavern scenes are genuinely TERRIFYING as someone who's developing submechaniphobia thanks to those Youtube vidoes. NO THANK YOU to those giant jellyfish haha. All in all just a freaking fantastic attraction.

While I think the land perhaps could have used a bit more of a central icon ala the Tree of Life, I still think this was executed wonderfully and makes me really excited about the potential the rest of the park has to offer. Definitely a killer way to kick off the end-game of the season and get me back into the swing of doing reviews!

Mickeynerd17

A note from Mickeynerd17 before you read:

I have been one heck of a jerk this round. I not only insulted the entire cast for having an idea I didn’t like, but also posted a “I told you so” comment in correlation. Then, on top of that, I’m like 6 hours late on the Veto, making me both a jerk and a hypocrite.

Judges: If you don’t want to waste the time reviewing this, that is ok. My actions this round plus my complete disregard of the deadline is plenty enough to get a fat 0 on the project and get me sent home this round. I would still appreciate it if you did review, but if you don’t want to, that’s ok. I probably won’t win anyway. Also, please don’t inflate my scores because you feel sorry. There is nothing to feel sorry about, and I don’t want to think I did better than I actually did.

To everyone: sorry for being a jerk, especially to @PerGron . I don’t want to be remembered like this, and it puts a black stain on my reputation on this forum. Even if I somehow managed to win this whole competition (not likely), it would be a hollow win. I’ve piggybacked on everybody this whole season, and its honestly shameful. I can’t even put a proper ending to this project because I’m caught up in a stupid pity party. You’ve probably gotten bored of my monotonous rambling again, so I’ll close this letter here.

Once again, my sincere apologies for the crap this week.

Mickeynerd17

I humbly present:

The Obelisk of Time

spacemt354

Chili's
Mickeynerd

Analyzing....

Unit will remove 5 points from total score for being late. This is not something unit would like to do, but seeing as this has been a pattern, system feels it is fair to everyone for a deduction this time, but cannot speak for other judges. That said, unit is impressed with this proposal. A unique story and show, something that fits the prompt and would be an addition worthy for this entrance land. Unit still has high hopes for Mickeynerd as an imagineer, and sees a very bright future.

Detail: 5/5
System Late: -5
-----------------------

PerGron

PoV.jpg

Had this sitting since it started. Glad everybody voted so I could use this. Also, hope you all liked my zoo anyway! Keep an eye out for a new post in Disney's Wild Kingdom soon!

Last edited:

Chaos Cat

Me: (prepares joke about me trying to steal the PoV by pretending to PerGron due to my avatar only to get almost killed by my own assassin)
PerGron: (doesn't win PoV)
Me:
d47d36c8fedb54976f408bca2a250d8fbacd7245.jpg

Even when I'm banking on you doing good, you manage to screw me over!

CURSE YOU PERGRON!!!

Not serious anger, just wanted an excuse to use one of my favorite images from the Animaniacs reboot.

spacemt354

Chili's
Me: (prepares joke about me trying to steal the PoV by pretending to PerGron due to my avatar only to get almost killed by my own assassin)
PerGron: (doesn't win PoV)
Me:
d47d36c8fedb54976f408bca2a250d8fbacd7245.jpg

Even when I'm banking on you doing good, you manage to screw me over!

CURSE YOU PERGRON!!!

Not serious anger, just wanted an excuse to use one of my favorite images from the Animaniacs reboot.
Inkedb19bf222b680f6f6754b32af812c9aa4_LI.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom