10 years old eating and paying for the kids menu ?

Club Cooloholic

Can I ask which buffet? Every time we checked in with kids, the person at the reservation desk asked the ages of the children. I suppose like everything else at Disney, it's hit or miss. If they don't ask the age of a child and don't charge the "10 and over" price, I wouldn't say anything either. But we've always had the person at the desk ask. If you check in online, don't they ask how many in the party and the ages? In any event, I sure wouldn't count on paying a child's price for a 10-year-old at a buffet or other prix fixe.
Liberty Tree, last week. Maybe because it doesn't have characters, they know there isn't much for some kids? To be fair my son doesn't like meat, didn't live the impossible meatloaf so they didn't lose money on him, even at the kids price.

Last edited:

correcaminos

They absolutely asked on our last trip. As I said, I wouldn't object if they didn't ask and charged the wrong price. But if people are asking if they can get away with not paying the adult price for a 10-year-old at a prix fixe or buffet, I wouldn't count on it.
My kid is 14 now so we're well beyond them asking. This month and also in March we did online check in. No way to avoid unless one lied. The only time we had exceptions to prix fixe was at Space 220. We bookec the lounge which allowed for more pick and choosing. But not entirely. My son wasn't interested in the appetizers but wanted to try the burger. In his case they did a kid pricing or close to it. Same with mine since my allergies forbid me from most appetizers. But the lounge is far more flexible and originally what I wanted to order was an allergen surprisingly so they were kinda flexible.

correcaminos

Liberty Tree, last week. Maybe because it doesn't have characters, they know there isn't much for some kids? To be fair my son doesn't like meat, didn't live thr impossible meatloaf so they didn't lose money on him, even at the kids price.
But you said your kid was 9 right? So not sure that's helpful really to the discussion. If they didn't make you online check in like pretty much all are now or ask about about age that's more of an anomaly - unless your kid is small for their age.

Club Cooloholic

But you said your kid was 9 right? So not sure that's helpful really to the discussion. If they didn't make you online check in like pretty much all are now or ask about about age that's more of an anomaly - unless your kid is small for their age.
He is a tall 9 yr old. They didn't ask his age. Don't know what to tell you.
BTW we also did the lounge but just did drinks as the menu didn't appeal to my kids. Why eat somewhere if nothing appeals? That's the beauty of the lounge, not stuck ordering anything of you don't want to.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I think it's always worthwhile to hear people's experiences, whatever they may be. But as you said, if the kid is not 10, there's no consequence of them not asking. We were practically grilled about our 2-year-old at Storybook Dining, possibly because he turned 3 during the course of the trip? We just made sure to clarify the matter with our server so weren't charged for him. The server confirmed that the child's age for buffet pricing is whatever it is on the date you check in. In any event, we didn't find any nonchalant attitudes about pricing at the buffets.

correcaminos

I think it's always worthwhile to hear people's experiences, whatever they may be. But as you said, if the kid is not 10, there's no consequence of them not asking. We were practically grilled about our 2-year-old at Storybook Dining, possibly because he turned 3 during the course of the trip? We just made sure to clarify the matter with our server so weren't charged for him. The server confirmed that the child's age for buffet pricing is whatever it is on the date you check in. In any event, we didn't find any nonchalant attitudes about pricing at the buffets.
True, good to hear experiences. We've never been grilled but we have been asked. My kid is now about as tall as his dad so there is no question. We're adult meals for him too for sit downs almost always. The whole 2 turning 3 is nice but does get confusing for servers at times too. Every place in March and June we ate, they asked us to do online check in. So they'll get it that way with ages. I find it weird they made us do online but no big deal. It allows me to double down on allergy requests easier.

He is a tall 9 yr old. They didn't ask his age. Don't know what to tell you.
BTW we also did the lounge but just did drinks as the menu didn't appeal to my kids. Why eat somewhere if nothing appeals? That's the beauty of the lounge, not stuck ordering anything of you don't want to.
First I wasn't trying to get an explanation from you. I apologize if you took it poorly but not asking for a 9 yo isn't shocking. I think with online check in now this will be a thing of the past. Only Space 220 doesn't allow for it but all else required.

Also I never said that the food didn't appeal to me. I just was limited due to allergies. The burger appealed more than the sliders for my kid - it did appeal when we booked but day of tastes changed. My 14yo doesn't have the stomach size for appetizers and main courses yet. Soon I am sure. The lounge has more options and they state you can order from either which is why we booked it.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

True, good to hear experiences. We've never been grilled but we have been asked. My kid is now about as tall as his dad so there is no question. We're adult meals for him too for sit downs almost always. The whole 2 turning 3 is nice but does get confusing for servers at times too. Every place in March and June we ate, they asked us to do online check in. So they'll get it that way with ages. I find it weird they made us do online but no big deal. It allows me to double down on allergy requests easier.

First I wasn't trying to get an explanation from you. I apologize if you took it poorly but not asking for a 9 yo isn't shocking. I think with online check in now this will be a thing of the past. Only Space 220 doesn't allow for it but all else required.

Also I never said that the food didn't appeal to me. I just was limited due to allergies. The burger appealed more than the sliders for my kid - it did appeal when we booked but day of tastes changed. My 14yo doesn't have the stomach size for appetizers and main courses yet. Soon I am sure. The lounge has more options and they state you can order from either which is why we booked it.
It's awesome that they worked around your wants. It's what often makes Disney, Disney.

correcaminos

It's awesome that they worked around your wants. It's what often makes Disney, Disney.
Wouldn't call an allergy my wants.... I actually wasn't terribly thrilled with the service I received that day. Glad we experienced it, but not going back as it was very difficult to eat there. My kid was fine with eating whatever really. He just asked and they said sure but he would've been able to eat a couple of the appetizers. Someone just told him the burger was good. But the lounge is meant for more a la carte which again is why we booked as I feared (and beyond more than I ever thought so) that my allergy would keep me from eating most options.

Club Cooloholic

Wouldn't call an allergy my wants.... I actually wasn't terribly thrilled with the service I received that day. Glad we experienced it, but not going back as it was very difficult to eat there. My kid was fine with eating whatever really. He just asked and they said sure but he would've been able to eat a couple of the appetizers. Someone just told him the burger was good. But the lounge is meant for more a la carte which again is why we booked as I feared (and beyond more than I ever thought so) that my allergy would keep me from eating most options.
Oh yeah, I wasn't that impressed with it either. The elevator is the best part after that it was downhill, though my son liked the cards he got with his drink. The drinks didn't exactly thrill either.

correcaminos

Oh yeah, I wasn't that impressed with it either. The elevator is the best part after that it was downhill, though my son liked the cards he got with his drink. The drinks didn't exactly thrill either.
We got cards too.... not sure why either. Maybe because my kid ordered a milk, who knows. The elevator is the best part for sure. The first 20mins before the restaurant was filled too was serene.

For the record, I have brochures from at least the early/mid 90s that list buffet Child age as 3-11, so Adult didn't start until 12 - which makes far more rational sense. It wasn't weird that ticket prices didn't have a matching age range.

Hoop Dee Do and the Luau even had mid-tier Junior pricing from 12-20 (which also makes sense b/c no 'all you can drink').

1659530270233.png

MotherofaPrincessLover

For the record, I have brochures from at least the early/mid 90s that list buffet Child age as 3-11, so Adult didn't start until 12 - which makes far more rational sense. It wasn't weird that ticket prices didn't have a matching age range.

Hoop Dee Do and the Luau even had mid-tier Junior pricing from 12-20 (which also makes sense b/c no 'all you can drink').

View attachment 657575
This is how it should be done, especially when alcohol is involved (like dessert parties!!).

Patcheslee

Our last experience was in 2019 when DD was 10. BOG asked if we were sure she wasn't 9. Nowhere near her birthday. Yes she was short for her age, but adventurous and eats adult size portions (I swear she had a hollow leg or something to store it in lol). I'm the picky one, so sometimes I ask to leave a side off if I won't eat it. Only place I wonder about doing that is as at teppanyaki, don't want to mess the chef up.

correcaminos

Maybe the issue isn't talking to people, its just people have a litte more social awareness. A grown man ordering kids meals (and wanting to pay that price)at a sit down restaurant?
This is valid and why we offer. I'm either unable to eat the adult foods (due to allergies) or we want smaller portions. It's not about price.

I also think that if an entire family of adults orders kids meals, they should expect to pay more. I saw that happen once at the table next to mine.

Weather_Lady

My 11-year-old was allowed to order from the kids menu at Skipper Canteen (a la carte, TS) but we had to pay an adult price for it, and they doubled the portion size, all of which was fine since it was the particular kids entree, and not simply a smaller portion size, that our daughter was after.

The server probably already knew her age because our MDE profiles were linked to the reservation, but the moment she asked him if there was mac and cheese on the kids menu, he claimed he could tell she was too old to order from it "just by looking," as he pointedly glanced at her developing chest. (He then explained that if she wanted that dish, we could purchase an adult portion, which had been our intention all along, but he treated us like would-be scammers.) That server was a total d%$@, but the experience does illustrate that allowing a kids menu order is up to the server.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
My 11-year-old was allowed to order from the kids menu at Skipper Canteen (a la carte, TS) but we had to pay an adult price for it, and they doubled the portion size, all of which was fine since it was the particular kids entree, and not simply a smaller portion size, that our daughter was after.

The server probably already knew her age because our MDE profiles were linked to the reservation, but the moment she asked him if there was mac and cheese on the kids menu, he claimed he could tell she was too old to order from it "just by looking," as he pointedly glanced at her developing chest. (He then explained that if she wanted that dish, we could purchase an adult portion, which had been our intention all along, but he treated us like would-be scammers.) That server was a total d%$@, but the experience does illustrate that allowing a kids menu order is up to the server.
Thanks for posting a detailed, credible experience - I'm sure it's very helpful to people with this question.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

That's so gross.

Patcheslee

Hopefully she didn't notice and feel uncomfortable? DD13 has become very self conscious due to looks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom