10 years old eating and paying for the kids menu ?

SpykeYs

Original Poster
Hello,

My daughter is 10 years old and does not eat a lot. Will she be allowed to eat off the kids menu and pay the kids price for table dining ?

Thanks

TrainsOfDisney

Hello,

My daughter is 10 years old and does not eat a lot. Will she be allowed to eat off the kids menu and pay the kids price for table dining ?

Thanks
I’m not totally sure about table service but Disney has never policed this at CS. I would often order kids meals at counter service restaurants. The kids salmon at seasons is an incredible deal!

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

The couple of times we did it at a la carte TS restaurants, our kids were allowed to order items from the kids menu, BUT we were charged exponentially more, and they were forced to accept adult portions of those items. Since I'd linked them to our reservation on MDE, the servers knew their ages without asking, and stated categorically that the kids were not permitted to order the kid-sized portions of anything. YMMV.

correcaminos

The couple of times we did it at a la carte TS restaurants, our kids were allowed to order items from the kids menu, BUT we were charged exponentially more, and they were forced to accept adult portions of those items. Since I'd linked them to our reservation on MDE, the servers knew their ages without asking, and stated categorically that the kids were not permitted to order the kid-sized portions of anything. YMMV.
If you want smaller portions, you have to ask specifically for the portion size to be less. But even then they still often charge more. I've never had my kid forced to take a huge portion since that's why they sometimes ask for the kid's size. But we offer to pay adult to get the kid's size. Like Plaza restaurant their burger for adults are huge! Kid cannot eat even 2/3 of it. So we asked for same item but smaller from the kids menu because the adult one is huge. They understood why.

MotherofaPrincessLover

In my experience, al a carte places will charge the kids price, prixe fix and buffet will be adult pricing. I even asked the servers to just bring a kids portion at the prixe fix places for my daughter but they still brought out the adult portions.

10 yo should slide right by if you say two adults and 1 child, etc. I know some people will underage their kids when booking online - this would likely be required to get by on any buffet meals.

However you approach it, paying an adult price for a 10 yo at a disney buffet who may eat a mickey waffle and a half a muffin, is probably best avoided.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
At a la carte TS locations its fine.
At TS locations that are buffets/have a prix fixe menu/fixed price... you will be paying the adult price regardless of what they get but you can likely still get the kids menu food just at the adult price.
At QS locations its fine.

Figgy1

Premium Member
In my experience, there's not a WDW buffet that won't ask. They all do. They clarify the ages of the kids when you check in and the server may also confirm with you.
Also kids ages are linked to the parent's account because Chapek is
1655863622156.png
the bottom line

Chi84

Premium Member
Not when you make a reservation. It shows the person who booked it, the the rest of the party is blank, unless you choose to click and add them.
Even at a buffet, they may not have a problem. They didn't ask about my 9 yr old, I doubt they will ask about a 10 yr old.
Can I ask which buffet? Every time we checked in with kids, the person at the reservation desk asked the ages of the children. I suppose like everything else at Disney, it's hit or miss. If they don't ask the age of a child and don't charge the "10 and over" price, I wouldn't say anything either. But we've always had the person at the desk ask. If you check in online, don't they ask how many in the party and the ages? In any event, I sure wouldn't count on paying a child's price for a 10-year-old at a buffet or other prix fixe.

Weather_Lady

If you want smaller portions, you have to ask specifically for the portion size to be less. But even then they still often charge more. I've never had my kid forced to take a huge portion since that's why they sometimes ask for the kid's size. But we offer to pay adult to get the kid's size. Like Plaza restaurant their burger for adults are huge! Kid cannot eat even 2/3 of it. So we asked for same item but smaller from the kids menu because the adult one is huge. They understood why.
I'm sure we could have asked for smaller portions, but since we were getting charged three times the kid price for those dishes regardless of the portion size, we preferred to bag up the leftovers and at least get a second meal out of it. ;) While I wish there were options for ordering smaller portions at a smaller price for 10-and-overs with a small appetite, I understand why WDW doesn't allow it at TS restaurants. Thankfully, now that my kids are both teenagers, they have no problem finishing an adult portion! :)

correcaminos

I'm sure we could have asked for smaller portions, but since we were getting charged three times the kid price for those dishes regardless of the portion size, we preferred to bag up the leftovers and at least get a second meal out of it. ;) While I wish there were options for ordering smaller portions at a smaller price for 10-and-overs with a small appetite, I understand why WDW doesn't allow it at TS restaurants. Thankfully, now that my kids are both teenagers, they have no problem finishing an adult portion! :)
I'm mostly the problem now with portion sizes. Often we are out for lunch and don't head back with left overs. Rarely at least. My 14yo at the Plaza this month was a rarity. When we ate in March we saw how huge burgers were. Couldn't finish. The price difference there between kid and adult is minimal for us. Not wasting food and saving room for the 50th sundae was a priority lol. Normally I can find my way around with something smaller even if appetizers. Though having a weirdo allergy complicates things. One time they brought out 3 chicken white meat areas <ha ha the word for white chicken meat on the chest of the chicken was censored> no joke for my meal. I now tell them it's not the price but I hate wasting food. They're pretty good. I'm sure in a couple years my kid will also just finish off for me lol

Can I ask which buffet? Every time we checked in with kids, the person at the reservation desk asked the ages of the children. I suppose like everything else at Disney, it's hit or miss. If they don't ask the age of a child and don't charge the "10 and over" price, I wouldn't say anything either. But we've always had the person at the desk ask. If you check in online, don't they ask how many in the party and the ages? In any event, I sure wouldn't count on paying a child's price for a 10-year-old at a buffet or other prix fixe.
Having a larger than average height child who wasn't skinny (average build so just looked older) I find they did ask often. At check in they'd ask for under 10. Online check in does indeed ask for ages too.

Chi84

Premium Member
Having a larger than average height child who wasn't skinny (average build so just looked older) I find they did ask often. At check in they'd ask for under 10. Online check in does indeed ask for ages too.
They absolutely asked on our last trip. As I said, I wouldn't object if they didn't ask and charged the wrong price. But if people are asking if they can get away with not paying the adult price for a 10-year-old at a prix fixe or buffet, I wouldn't count on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom