1 - One Sentence Competition, Season Five Episode 3

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hey guys, should I stay out this round due to my actions last round?
tenor.gif

Orange Cat

LUDWIG VON DRAKE‘S TALES OF FANTASY
ECAE10B5-9A0C-48AF-AAB2-A40196867897.jpeg
Join Ludwig Von Drake & his tiny companion Herman the Bootle Beetle (represented by animatronics) as they retell classic fairytales with a bit of a twist, the characters are replaced by Mickey & friends along with other Disney OCs (all represented by live actors), with each segment containing appropriate music, in this roughly half-hour long show.

Tux

The Pomona Groom
1597628296213.png

Given that Tokyo's Fantasyland includes the Haunted Mansion and it counts as an IP, it now sees the addition of 'The Pomona Groom' on the side of where the Mansion is and near the first aid station in the area in an indoor theatre within a rather nonsensically designed cabin (inspired by the Winchester Mystery like the unfinished queue wing) on the mansion's property, a live-action non-musical show exploring the Hatbox Ghost's life as Captain Pace/Randall Pace from early childhood all the way up until the present state of the mansion and his presence there, however, due to the brutal subject of some of the content in canon, like the show would allude to things like his decapitation but would never outright say it or show it.

AceAstro

The Muppets Take Fantasyland

1597627980637.png

After the success of The Muppets Present ... Great Moments in American History, the goal to use The Muppets in more live shows is wanted which continues with The Muppets Take Fantasyland: a Muppet-centric show where the Muppets decide to put their own spin on the classic Disney princess movies (of course classic Muppets zaniness goes on and none of the re-enactments go right from Miss Piggy's long Rapunzel wig getting ripped off by Gonzo, to Fozzie forgetting Dopey's lines, and everything in between) and with each show being a different story, guests always want to come back!​

DashHaber

Deck the Howls

0ba336a429122e1052695b99bbc8ce62.jpg

From October through December, a new temporary stage located in Fantasyland at Walt Disney World plays as a home for Sally and some of her fellow citizens from Halloween Town, as they share the story of how two holidays met by mistake in a show that's a treat...and filled with tricks!

spacemt354

Chili's
Pooh's Blustery Adventures in the Hundred Acre Wood
9333cfd0c7d3ab0252cd131bfd138f7a.jpg

Expanding south behind the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in WDW's Magic Kingdom, Pooh's Blustery Adventures in the Hundred Acre Wood will be a live-show featuring the characters of Winnie the Pooh, focused on the main character, Pooh, replicating several tales inspired by the A.A. Milne classic collection of stories.

DisneyManOne

View attachment 491395

After the success of The Muppets Present ... Great Moments in American History, the goal to use The Muppets in more live shows is wanted which continues with The Muppets Take Fantasyland: a Muppet-centric show where the Muppets decide to put their own spin on the classic Disney princess movies (of course classic Muppets zaniness goes on and none of the re-enactments go right from Miss Piggy's long Rapunzel wig getting ripped off by Gonzo, to Fozzie forgetting Dopey's lines, and everything in between) and with each show being a different story, guests always want to come back!​
You have no idea how much I want this to be a real thing.

pix

IMG_20200816_201420722_2.jpg

Coming soon: this wonderful show will take place in the Fantasyland Gazebo as various times of the day a rotating cast of royals from (such as the normal standby princesses, to princes, to Disney Junior royals such as Sophia the first and Elena of Avalor) will be crowned once again as to share the celebration with as much of the kingdom as they can.

D Hulk

REVIEWS

Shows come in all shapes and sizes, from humble streetmosphere (no streetmosphere, anyone?!) to massive extravaganzas. I love all these types. I think you all love Disney shows a lot too, since these show proposals was a whole lot of fun to read!
The Muses Truth

View attachment 491034

The Muses are taking over Philharmagic in Walt Disney World to retell the story of Hercules with the same spunk and vocals that were featured in songs like: The Gospel Truth, A Star is Born, I Won't Say I'm In Love, and more featuring some special guests!
The Muses Truth
@NateD1226

4pRMlBb.gif

Something tells me you really like Disney’s Hercules. :hilarious:

I totally get it! Hercules is a great flick, one that’s better suited than most for a live stage show. The Muses provide a perfect framing device. Other aspects of Greek theater could also be added. There’s maybe a bit of risk going with a single story IP – what if guests get tired of it? – but that’s negated by your passion and your impressively swift turnaround time.

More than one proposal uses the Mickey’s Philharmagic acreage. Live shows typically have greater spatial requirements than a screen-based show. Still, I don’t know this area well enough to say for sure that it’s an issue; players get the benefit of the doubt!​

inspired by ballet and opera, the symphonic stage features a talented cast and crew telling a timeless disney story (which rotates every few months) without words - only dance and music.
The Symphonic Stage
@Imagineer Sroo

I like your choice to filter stories entirely through the lens of opera & ballet. This makes The Symphonic Stage more unique & memorable than the traditional Disney Parks show style. You also made a good choice with regular show rotations; if something is less popular then it’s gone soon, and for locals there’s always something new to check out. It would be nice to get one or two examples of the Disney stories you’d choose to tell. Would we start with an experimental IP which suits the format like Fantasia, or a popular classic like Tangled?​

D Hulk

A new theater is built to house the musical ( Thinking of Magic Kingdom but eh) , Drawing from Disney's Theatrical backlog, broadway shows are put on, cut down to one hour, three times a day, it tells the story of a disney ip that would feel at home in fantasyland, the show is rotated out every year and a half( it mainly draws from Princesses but stuff like Alice and Peter Pan are also options)
Disney Broadway Shows Restaged
@Shannoninthemagic

Disney’s Broadway shows have become an institution unto themselves. Bringing abridged versions to the parks? What a great way to utilize an existing company resource! This is potentially a really smart way to interest a few park visitors in Broadway vacations. (Let’s get the Disney Vacation Club involved in some way!) For other guests, it’s a great way to sample hard-to-catch shows like “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” in a convenient venue. And with a world-famous show like “The Lion King,” the justly-celebrated Broadway version would blow away even the best in the parks (Animal Kingdom’s quite good “Lion King”).

All that we’re missing is a name or a description for the proposed theater. Even without that, this is a smart idea!​

Higitus Figitus! Merlin's Magic Show
View attachment 491063

Step inside Merlin's cottage for a madcap magic show featuring a cast of eccentric characters from The Sword in the Stone; full of wisecracks from pet owl Archimedes (an advanced audio-animatronic) and culminating in a Wizard's Duel between Merlin and Mad Madame Mim.
Higitus Figitus! Merlin’s Magic Show
@Brer Panther

DeficientImmediateDorking-size_restricted.gif

Live theater spans all of human history, with thousands of forms. Disney’s Broadway-style shows, great though they be, are but one option. I absolutely adore more idiosyncratic ideas like this.

A “madcap magic show” would be unique & effective in a Disney Castle Park setting. It would necessarily be a smaller-scale show, particularly with close-up magic…and this narrower scope absolutely works for an overlooked IP like The Sword in the Stone. The character infusions – from the Archimedes AA to the Wizard’s Duel climax – are precisely the sort of “Disney touch” which turns this from a commonplace magic act into something special.​

D Hulk

Mickey and the Enchanted Voyage
View attachment 491076
Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse set course on an adventure over the high seas encountering a beautiful mermaid, an island paradise inhabited by aliens, a princess and demi-god saving the world, a young man going from Zero to Hero, frozen fjords, a festival of lanterns, and a magical Mardi Gras in New Orleans as they learn that the most important part isn't the destination, it's the journey to get there.
Mickey and the Enchanted Voyage
@mickeyfan5534

The “Mickey and the ___________” genre has produced some of the most enjoyable Disney stage shows I’ve experienced. It’s nice to see something in that vein.

This show outline follows the established format nicely. We have our framing device – Mickey & Minnie on a nautical adventure – and we have a good half dozen or so Disney IP musical numbers. Kudos to subtly invoking Disney flicks without namedropping them. They all fit the seafaring theme, and there seems to be a nice dramatic progression between them. Lastly, I’m a sucker for the DisneySea aesthetic you’ve invoked with your image; a show is with DisneySea DNA is hard to top.​

The Enchanted Library

3043682aaf6a34e99b9d3b542697eda2.jpg

Replacing Mickey's PhilharMagic at the Magic Kingdom, and for that matter, the Castle Forecourt Stage, this innovative theater-in-the-round production -- which makes use of live actors, projections, puppets and flying effects -- takes place in, well, an enchanted library, filled to the brim with books (not to mention props and artifacts coinciding with every film in the Disney Animated Canon -- ex. Snow White's poison apple, Dumbo's magic feather, Cinderella's glass slipper, Winnie the Pooh's blue balloon, the Enchanted Rose, Scrump, a floating lantern, etc.), and features Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy perusing its books, with each one they find featuring a medley of songs from a certain literary world -- after the big opening number, Donald's book offers "adventure" (represented through "You Can Fly!" from Peter Pan; "Go the Distance" from Hercules; "How Far I'll Go" from Moana and "Circle of Life" from The Lion King); Goofy's offers "comedy" (represented through "Rumbly in My Tumbly/The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers" from The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh; "I Wanna Be Like You" from The Jungle Book and "I've Got a Dream" from Tangled); and Minnie's offers "romance" (represented through "A Whole New World" from Aladdin, and a waltz medley of "Someday My Prince Will Come" from Snow White; "So This is Love" from Cinderella; "Once Upon a Dream" from Sleeping Beauty; "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid and "Beauty and the Beast" from Beauty and the Beast) -- but it's not long at all before a book of "mystery" reveals the world of the villains (represented through "Night on Bald Mountain" from Fantasia), which brings chaos and ruin to the library -- the aftermath of which leads to a moment of "tragedy" (represented through "Baby Mine" from Dumbo, "The Next Right Thing" from Frozen II and "Someday" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame), but Mickey offers one final book: "friendship" (represented through "You'll Be in My Heart" from Tarzan, "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story and "Dig a Little Deeper" from The Princess and the Frog), which fixes the damage done to the library, and with all ending well, as projections depict all the friends we've seen along our journey, the ensemble performs a triumphant reprise of the opening song.
The Enchanted Library
@DisneyManOne

Glad to have you joining us for this One Sentence Competition! You might’ve missed some of the recent debates surrounding sentences & grammar, since you’ve produced the single longest, wooliest sentence in this game so far. It definitely gets your point across, though I’d recommend in later rounds boiling your idea down to something briefer.

The theater-in-the-round setting is a good concept which is presented well. It’s very tactile. The possibilities for in-theater effects are almost endless! The overall show follows the “Mickey and the ___________” format like @mickeyfan5534 above, with your major innovation being the theater design itself. The show’s premise & plot remind me a whole lot of Hong Kong’s “Mickey and the Wondrous Book” (which was unexpectedly excellent) with a dramatic escalation more like “Fantasmic.” I like “Enchanted Library” as much as “Enchanted Voyage” for some fairly similar reasons (fundamental underlying ideas) despite some great differences in presentation style.​

D Hulk

VILLAINS' REVENGE
c52b55603ff18f156880965972d5aa36.jpg

Inspired the 1990s video game by Disney Interactive, this hour long musical adventure Fantasyland stageshow propels Jiminy Cricket into a realm of lost happy endings, as his own folly causes him to remove the endings of Disney classics, allowing the villains of Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Frog, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame take the opportunity to rewrite the stories to their liking; the day must be saved by Jiminy, as he guides the heroes gain control of their stories and fulfil their happy endings!
Villains’ Revenge
@Evilgidgit

This too is sort of in the “Mickey and the _________” style, though with Jiminy Cricket as our host & guide. Once again, it’s a great live format…and one which does justify the generous one hour runtime.

But is one hour too much time to spend focused almost entirely on the villains? Even though they’re eventually defeated, that’s a lot of time spent on one tone. Specialized shows like this work seasonally, like during Halloweentime when guests expect a little pervasive day-long spookiness. For regular day guests, particularly younger children, the villain theme might scare them away.
HEROES
--- O
F ---
HALLOWEEN

Heroes of Halloween is a seasonal, nighttime stage show housed in Fantasyland’s new outdoor theater in which Mickey and his friends, dressed up as their favorite fairy tale characters, are cursed by the Headless Horsemen, forcing them to face the villains from those very stories, leading to a half-hour of incredible heroic acts, modern special effects, and unrestrained spectacle through a series of storybook duels: Daisy as Alice against the Queen of Hearts, Goofy as Pinocchio against Monstro, Donald as Peter Pan against Captain Hook, Minnie as Snow White against the Evil Queen, and Mickey as Prince Charming against Maleficent.

View attachment 491299
Heroes of Halloween
@InspectorSpacetime

I’m reviewing this one slightly out-of-order since it covers the same Halloween idea in a rather different way.

For one, it’s a seasonal show on a temporary stage…a totally interesting approach to the challenge. There’s a similar story of Disney’s goodies vs. villains, but in this case there’s more emphasis on the heroes – heck, it’s in the name! Throughout, the show’s descriptions temper the villains’ wickedness. The opening (Mickey & pals in costume) establishes a playful tone which fits Disney well. Overall, this is something which could realistically be done on a seasonal budget with existing character costumes, and it plays well to audience expectations.​

D Hulk

It’s A Holiday World

The Christmas season at the Magic Kingdom and Hong Kong Disneyland bring with it a small troupe of representatives from around the world wearing winter holiday attire in the beloved Mary Blair style as well as puppet versions of some of the attraction’s animal characters (also in festive attire) singing, dancing, and performing other fun acts that would entice even the youngest at heart.
It’s a Holiday World
@Suchomimus

Another seasonal offering (this one for Christmastime), and another which nails its specific seasonal tone. Looking over the various proposals, yours might be the only one with characters taken from a ride (“it’s a small world”) rather than a movie. Great choice! The use of puppets, and the overall Mary Blair aesthetic, make this sound classier & more distinctive than, like, the typical character-based castle show.

I’m not sure why this is only going to Hong Kong and Magic Kingdom. Any Castle Park (except maybe Shanghai) could host this! I’d think Paris would work best, actually, between their wintertime snowfall and their truly gorgeous Fantasyland.​

The Tangled Revue

View attachment 491311

Housed in the Snuggly Duckling Music Hall is a retelling of Tangled through the eyes of the ruffians of the Snuggly Duckling, hillarities ensue as the thugs make obvious discrepancies, get their stories confused, sing songs from other films, fight with each other, etc; the final number sees Rapunzel and Flynn appearing, and pointing out this wasn’t exactly how it happened, followed by a energetic performance of Ive Got A Dream
The Tangled Revue
@tcool123

Enter the world of Tangled, where characters humorously retell a tale we all know. You know, that’s a fun way to make this more than a mere “book report” retelling of a single fun movie. It’s a bit like the Tangled show at Disneyland’s Fantasy Faire, which is small-scale and silly. It’s also a bit like the “Ember Island Players” episode of “Avatar,” which is a good thing to be reminded of. Bonus points too for an original named theater.

Going with a single IP can be a risky maneuver, but you’ve handled those risks well. Tangled deserves a show of this modest scale…it’s better than themed toilets.​

D Hulk

Merida and the Dance of DunBroch

View attachment 491334

What once was a simple, yet well themed, meet and greet with Merida in WDW's Fantasyland (and was the original outdoor theater for Enchanted Tales with Belle, fun fact) will now become a simple show where Merida teaches kids about the story of DunBroch's Unification Day (which happens to be today!) as well as the traditional Celtic inspired dance for the holiday before culminating a large party where other characters from the Brave come out to dance and celebrate the special occasion with Merida and the kids.
Merida and the Dance of Dun-Broch
@Pi on my Cake

DANCE PARTY!!! :joyfull:

tumblr_myah4jWKQ91t5a520o1_500.gif

Another single-IP musical show…and Brave is trickier than Tangled, since it eschews that Disney Princess formula. While there’re other ways you could’ve taken this (i.e. an archery demonstration), I really like the cultural focus on Celtic dance. Brave is just the backdoor to do something unique, something which I would totally stop to watch if I saw it while wandering through Fantasyland.

Also, good points for realism by recycling existing theater resources in Magic Kingdom. I didn’t know about this outdoor theater, so you were wise to briefly describe its history.​

Goofy’s Dog Show
A new show is coming to Storybook Circus where you can watch your favorite Disney dogs like Pluto, Bolt, Stitch, Dug, or Dodger perform a variety of amazing tricks all lead by Goofy himself in a show that promises to make you smile!
Goofy’s Dog Show
@NigelChanning09

Storybook Circus is such an obvious place to set a show, I’m surprised it hasn’t come up yet. For some reason your show isn’t explicitly a circus show, but I still picture it that way.

Also, at first I was hoping this would be an actual dog show! o_O That wouldn’t be terribly realistic, though, so you made the better call to bring in several Disney dog characters in what is very likely a comical, slapsticky romp. This is the sort of joyous small-scale show which could even be done on a temporary outdoor stage without losing any of its charm, and I like that.​

D Hulk

LUDWIG VON DRAKE‘S TALES OF FANTASYView attachment 491390Join Ludwig Von Drake & his tiny companion Herman the Bootle Beetle (represented by animatronics) as they retell classic fairytales with a bit of a twist, the characters are replaced by Mickey & friends along with other Disney OCs (all represented by live actors), with each segment containing appropriate music, in this roughly half-hour long show.
Ludwig von Drake’s Tales of Fantasy
@Pufflefan

While I never expect Ludwig von Drake in general, that goes double for Fantasyland. Whereas Mickey & Pals can be applied anyplace, Ludwig feels more distinctly modern (in the same way as e.g. Scrooge McDuck or Gyro Gearloose).

Other than that, this is another fine example of the “Mickey and the __________” sort of show, yet with an alternate emcee much like @Evilgidgit ‘s Jiminy. The format of using Mickey et al to retail (fractured?) fairy tales is a strong one. Half an hour seems just about right for this, especially since it seems less like an epic musical extravaganza and more like a comedic sketch show with songs. A playful, modestly-scaled entry!​

The Pomona Groom
View attachment 491404
Given that Tokyo's Fantasyland includes the Haunted Mansion and it counts as an IP, it now sees the addition of 'The Pomona Groom' on the side of where the Mansion is and near the first aid station in the area in an indoor theatre within a rather nonsensically designed cabin (inspired by the Winchester Mystery like the unfinished queue wing) on the mansion's property, a live-action non-musical show exploring the Hatbox Ghost's life as Captain Pace/Randall Pace from early childhood all the way up until the present state of the mansion and his presence there, however, due to the brutal subject of some of the content in canon, like the show would allude to things like his decapitation but would never outright say it or show it.
The Pomona Groom
@Tux

You don’t EVER need to apologize for being too ambitious, Tux! And you don’t need to leap through hoops justifying a Haunted Mansion show for Tokyo either; I totally get it.

Tokyo Disney Resort generally has the absolute best live shows I’ve seen in Disney Parks. With only one exception (Magic Lamp Theater – their lone underwhelming show), all their shows are musicals. A spoken word show, especially one with such a dark premise, would be a major deviation from their norm. And in the Fantasyland which rejected the Castle Mystery Tour for being too dark?

Disney’s Japanese guests have a particular distaste for the gloomy. (Meanwhile, Universal Studios Japan was a splatterfest during Halloween!) This might be a hard sell for them, unless you could nail the funny/scary tone as expertly as Haunted Mansion. Speaking of…in the States there is so much fandom surrounding the Mansion backstory. Maybe it’s the same in Tokyo; I have no idea.​

D Hulk

View attachment 491395

After the success of The Muppets Present ... Great Moments in American History, the goal to use The Muppets in more live shows is wanted which continues with The Muppets Take Fantasyland: a Muppet-centric show where the Muppets decide to put their own spin on the classic Disney princess movies (of course classic Muppets zaniness goes on and none of the re-enactments go right from Miss Piggy's long Rapunzel wig getting ripped off by Gonzo, to Fozzie forgetting Dopey's lines, and everything in between) and with each show being a different story, guests always want to come back!
@AceAstro

giphy.gif

You know, I was actually weeping loudly & messily while writing these reviews since everyone forgot the Muppets. Then yours shows up! And what’s more perfect for live shows than Muppets? Thank you, AceAstro! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you…

9i3D.gif

The only possible complaint I might have with this proposal is that it’s too similar to Great Moments in American History. But who cares? This – and that – are such unique, atypical live shows, not grand lengthy showstoppers or AA wonderments, but clever, playful, ultimately goofy trifles which are that much better for it. Honestly, Fantasyland seems an even better fit for the Muppets than Liberty Square. This is fantastic!
Deck the Howls

0ba336a429122e1052695b99bbc8ce62.jpg

From October through December, a new temporary stage located in Fantasyland at Walt Disney World plays as a home for Sally and some of her fellow citizens from Halloween Town, as they share the story of how two holidays met by mistake in a show that's a treat...and filled with tricks!
Deck the Howls
@DashHaber

This is a really good idea for a temporary seasonal show! The Nightmare before Christmas has just the right mixture of creepy & family-friendly, as has been proved in Anaheim & Tokyo with their Haunted Mansion overlays. Deck the Howls (great pun!) would be redundant in either of those locations, but in Magic Kingdom which doesn't do Haunted Mansion Holiday for whatever reason this would be a wonderful way to fill that niche. Plus it fits two seasons, meaning you get more bang for your buck.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom