1 - One Sentence Competition, Season Five Episode 3

Outbound

DISNEY'S 50 YEARS OF MAGIC PARADE

TimelineTwo.png

In an alternate timeline without the pandemic, the Magic Kingdom's 50th is celebrated in full glory with Disney's 50 Years of Magic Parade, which tells the story of the Magic Kingdom's evolution over the past half-century: beginning with opening-day attractions such as Peter Pan, IASW, and the Haunted Mansion, moving into later additions chronologically with such floats as Space and Big Thunder Mountains, along with New Fantasyland and the recently added Tron and Princess and the Frog, before ending with a grand finale of Mickey and Yensid "painting" future additions to the ever-evolving kingdom of magic.​

Last edited:

NateD1226

Mary Poppins Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Extravaganza

1596987255323.png

Disneyland is getting a hint of imagination with an all new Mary Poppins parade featuring songs from both movies like: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Can You Imagine That, Step in Time, and more which are accompanied by fabulous floats and outfits that come together to make sure you have fun!​

spacemt354

Chili's
Animation Celebration Parade
fantasia.jpg

Beginning with Snow White, and proceeding through the years of Walt Disney animated classics of Fantasia, Pinocchio, all the way up to the Jungle Book ( Walt Disney's last production), enjoy colorful floats and tantalyzing dance performances to celebrate the films that set the stage for animation today.

VaderTron

The Power of Imagination.jpg

At the stroke of nine all lights are extinguished as the holographic form of Walt Disney walks to center stage in front of The Castle and states, “Every child is born blessed with a vivid imagination. But just as a muscle grows flabby with disuse, so the bright imagination of a child pales in later years if he ceases to exercise it...That’s what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination...” after which the stage he was standing on slowly raises amid fog and lights revealing a tunnel from which the hub is filled with some of the most imaginative creations of TWDC such as a holographic flying house from UP! seemly flying out over the crowd into the sky with additional movie characters circling the parade route; holographic Alice is seen “falling” out of the sky as if tumbling into Wonderland with a fleet of real characters marching her through the hub to the Red Queen at the Castle; real light cycles speed round the hub while holographic disc battles occur on the elevated stage in front of a Tron projection overlay of the Castle; and much more (such as Fantasia and James and the Giant Peach) from the most imaginative sections of the Disney library all set to appropriate music for each "act".

Last edited:

DashHaber

Dream It, Make It!

One little spark will light up for you as this grand parade celebrates the many ways that our imagination can be inspired to create, such as with science (with Hiro Hamada and Baymax in their lab), art (as Rapunzel eagerly shows off her latest paintings), and music (while Mickey Mouse conducts a mystic concert straight out of Fantasia)!​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
CHALLENGE TWO
THE HUB

enhance

Our journey through the perfect Disney Castle Park continues! We come to the Hub, a neutral transition space to the other lands. You could almost consider this a land unto itself. In Shanghai Disneyland it is a unique land, the Gardens of Imagination. In all Castle Parks, the Hub primarily serves as an entertainment space, hosting parades, castles shows, fireworks, and more.

Your task is to propose a new parade (daytime or nighttime) for your Hub.

-Rules-

Use only a single sentence to describe your idea. You may also use one image if you wish. The deadline is Monday, August 10th, at midnight EST.

-Tips-

KISS – Keep is simple, silly! With only one sentence, you can’t get too detailed. Think of this as an elevator pitch.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit visually/thematically?

Any questions, please ask! Now good luck everyone! Create!​
DJ DCOM's Summertime Dance Party Parade

1597102099948.png

Coming to WDW as a temporary summertime replacement for the Move it Shake it Dance Party Parade in the hub; Kids, teens, and nostalgic millennial can come together to Bop to the Top and Move to the Groove of some of the best beats from Disney Channel Original Movies (like High School Musical, Descendants, and Z-O-M-B-I-E-S) all hosted by an original character, the lovably charismatic/inoffensively bland DJ DCOM!

Orange Cat

THE PARADE OF THE STARS
DC349B52-1F4F-465A-8D69-3783762A6E0D.jpeg
this nighttime parade focuses on astronomy, opening with a float showing off the earth, sun, & “the” moon, with subsequent floats consisting of models of the moon landing, modern astronomical tech, & our solar system, all lit up by vibrant & colorful lights.

pix

Colors in Motion Parade
By Pix:

IMG_20200810_202003432.jpg

Moving from black and white Oswald and Steamboat Mickey into a wonderful world of colorful floats Colors in Motion Parade features fun characters and scenes based around the rainbow ending in a multicolored party float with Mickey, Minnie, and the rest of the fab five.

D Hulk

REVIEWS

Once again we have well over a dozen entries! I love that passion. If these numbers continue, players will need bold ideas to stand out and win medals. Take your time, edit your proposals, make your sentence the best it can be…and win!
A parade with floats each representing a different E ticket ride in the park named "Forever E-Ticket".

This is my official entry. Did I do it right?
Forever E-Ticket
@1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Congratulations on your first competition submission! Welcome to One Sentence Competition! :D

Your idea is very intriguing: A parade focused on E-tickets. I would like to know more about it – a list of floats, characters who would feature, the parade’s order (particularly how it might open and close). These details will help strengthen your underlying concept! And even with the single sentence limitation, and a well-chosen image to go with it, you can suggest a whole lot of information. Look to some of the other parade submissions and see what works.

There will be many more rounds of this One Sentence Competition. We’ll be touring an entire Disney Castle Park. Use these upcoming challenges to grow as an Imagineer!​

The Twelve Year Cycle
View attachment 489586
Taking in fact that the basis of The Gardens Of Imagination is primarily based off of the Chinese zodiac signs and to contrast with Ignite The Dream, The Twelve Year Cycle is a nighttime based parade dedicated to this with it primarily consisting of twelve floats with each one representing their respective zodiac sign and through following the four zodiac trines to form intervals in which the floats come out and with each float paying tribute to their respective origin stories with floats representing the respective members of the Garden Of Twelve Friends except for Babe who has been traded out for Ferdinand, before ending with one giant float with them all together on one float, while soundtracks from said character's films play throughout.
The Twelve Year Cycle
@Tux

This is a good strategy, selecting a specific park’s hub (Shanghai Disneyland). “Create a parade” is such a broad, open-ended prompt; this approach helps narrow your focus.

There are several details which stand out to me as excellent. First of all is the simple choice to do a nighttime parade. In my experience, Disney does these better. (The image doesn’t communicate your nighttime ambiance too well.) Grouping the floats into zodiac trines…this shows attention & care, either research or knowledge. This is definitely a standout, unique concept. Well done.​

D Hulk

Seasons of Love Fantasy Parade

View attachment 489593

So many Disney films focus on all the seasons of the year and the Seasons of Fantasy Parade covers them all: Spring has the Festival of Fools with Topsy Turvy day (Hunchback of Notre Dame) and April Showers (Bambi with an AA Bambi on the float and a costume Flower and Thumper leading the way); Summer has Under the Sea (Ariel is still a mermaid, bubbles come out of the float) and How Far I'll Go (Moana is on her boat in the water much like her Magic Happens float); Fall features Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas is on a "cliff" with leaves constanly going down the cliff - and being recycled back to the top) and The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers (Tigger can be seen bouncing around on the float - with the help of trampolines - while the rest of the characters are walking around it); and lastly, Winter has Something There (Belle and Beast are dancing on a float themed to the snowy forest of the movie) and Let It Go (Elsa standing in a scale version of her North Mountain Castle with the rest of the characters in front to be the finale of the parade)!
Seasons of Fantasy Parade
@AceAstro

“Seasons!” A great organizing principle to structure a parade. Within this framework, you’ve done admirable work filling in the blanks – several distinctive floats, each with engaging characters and effects. The seasonal aesthetic helps to make this more than simply e.g. another Frozen float. Your IP choices are generally very on-point, with the possible exception of Hunchback of Notre Dame for Spring. (I read once that it has the fewest visible plants of any Disney Animation film!) Eight units – two per season – is the perfect amount. Even a small proposal touch like coloring the season titles shows the love & care that defines the @AceAstro brand!​

Seven Seas of Wishes Parade
tumblr_mc7kdu4dir1qi9jpao1_500.jpg

Every night, the Wish Whale slumbers, drawn to hopes and dreams brought forth through the waves of the oceans, swimming down the parade route, bringing these manifested desires with it; the Wish Whale leads this nightly parade, followed by Moana on her boat guided by her grandmother's manta ray spirit (Sea of Adventure), Ariel having a calypso party with her fish friends (Sea of Enchantment), Marlin, Dory, Nemo and Crush cruising down the E.A.C. (Sea of Fun), the Nautilus battles the giant squid, whilst Captain Jack Sparrow duels Davy Jones on the Flying Dutchman (Sea of Storms), Lilo and Stitch play pirates on their island boat (Sea of Laughter), and a final float features Peter Pan and Wendy taking their own ship beyond the sea to the stars (Beyond the Waves).
Seven Seas of Wishes Parade
@Evilgidgit

“Seven seas!” Another great concept!

To me, there’s a danger with parades & nighttime spectaculars & such that they can become mere processions of Disney IP with little rhyme or reason. Whichever things earn Disney the most $, those’ll be there. Our WDWMagic Imagineers know better! “Seas” is a broad theme which naturally welcomes certain IPs, and with themes like “Sea of Fun” & “Sea of Adventure” you’ve created a solid dramatic progression from float-to-float. Best of all, the opening Wish Whale (very welcome shades of Fantasia 2000) gives your parade an iconic image to linger in the memory and to dominate Disney’s advertising.

I can already tell it’s gonna be a challenge to settle on a winner!​

D Hulk

Night of Frights and Lights Parade
View attachment 489644
Sort of a Halloween edition of the Main Street Electrical Parade, the streets of Main Street USA are invaded by glow-in-the-dark skeletons, Pink Elephants, residents of Halloween Town, ghosts, and other creepy characters, brought to life with such techniques as LED-light covered floats, blacklight puppetry, and even an animatronic or two.
Night of Frights and Lights Parade
@Brer Panther

This is another fun thematic approach. A Halloween version of the Electrical Parade is something I can especially see happening in Tokyo Disneyland, who truly excel at their seasonal offerings and whose existing Electrical Parade put the stateside ‘70s relic to shame.

I’d like to know more specifics on the floats, the parade’s “narrative,” featured characters, things like that. The two prior proposals did that very well. There is a lot of potential here – Coco, Nightmare before Christmas, et cetera – which, if realized, could yield a real standout parade.​

(Thank you guys for the warm welcome)

Disney’s Gardens of Fancy, with floats and costumes made of real flowers and plants, uses the botanic chops displayed during the Flower and Garden festival to create a Disneyfied Rose Parade that’s right at home in the eternally quaint Main Street and pink blossom filled Fantasyland of its route, featuring the dancing mushrooms of Fantasia, Mary Poppins’ carousel horses, and the Haunted Mansion’s ghostly gardeners between towering feats of whimsical horticulture and a cast of heavy hitters ranging from the Country Bears to the Seven Dwarfs.

View attachment 489641
Disney’s Gardens of Fancy
@InspectorSpacetime

Did you see in the SYWTBAI Hype Thread where I called Pasadena’s Rose Parade my favorite parade of all? Or do you simply share my opinion? That’s either good strategy or good taste! There’s a sensory element to smelling fresh float florals which is unparalleled.

Thinking realistically, this would be a very difficult parade to pull off on a regular basis. It would need almost daily replanting. Rose Parade floats lose their luster within 24-hours. To overcome this with living soil beds – like mobile green roofs, essentially – would add literal tons to the floats’ weight. All in all a spectacularly distinctive idea – one which lets you recontextualize Disney classics like Mary Poppins in a new visual style – which I would love to see realized…I’m just not sure if it’s doable.​

D Hulk

The Muppets Take Magic Kingdom!
View attachment 489651
This new daytime parade sees the Muppets taking Magic Kingdom in floats themed to different Muppet characters like Gonzo’s Giant Canon, Sam the Eagle’s Patriotic Platform, and a large Muppet Mobile Lab all while jamming out to a sensational beat by the Electric Mayhem.
The Muppets Take Magic Kingdom
@NigelChanning09

There had better be a Muppets proposal in every round, guys! Don’t let me down!

The Muppets are ideal party crashers. They work just wonderfully for a parade! A momentary blast of anarchy invading Magic Kingdom. I can only imagine how dynamic the in-person live Muppet characters would be…perhaps with some Nemo Musical visible puppeteers, some more elaborate characters on the floats. It sounds joyously silly and grand! Like with @Brer Panther, your description could benefit from more fleshing out to match other players.​

DISNEY'S 50 YEARS OF MAGIC PARADE

View attachment 489655

In an alternate timeline without the pandemic, the Magic Kingdom's 50th is celebrated in full glory with Disney's 50 Years of Magic Parade, which tells the story of the Magic Kingdom's evolution over the past half-century: beginning with opening-day attractions such as Peter Pan, IASW, and the Haunted Mansion, moving into later additions chronologically with such floats as Space and Big Thunder Mountains, along with New Fantasyland and the recently added Tron and Princess and the Frog, before ending with a grand finale of Mickey and Yensid "painting" future additions to the ever-evolving kingdom of magic.
Disney’s 50 Years of Magic Parade
@Outbound

This “alternate timeline without the pandemic” is the best idea I’ve heard of in months!

This meta-parade would only work for something like Magic Kingdom’s 50th Anniversary, but in that context it would be pitch perfect. I like your chronology of floats, particularly how it climaxes with the newest attractions and with the unpainted magical future. If there’s any further detail which would give this more zing, zatz, kapowzah, it would be something like audio of Roy Disney’s opening day dedication. That, plus archival footage projected onto floats and/or facades. They did stuff like that for Disneyland’s 50th & 60th involving Walt, and in my memory those touches are what made the anniversary sing.​

D Hulk

In Mickey's Motorway Madness, Mickey and Oswald go head to head in a toontastic race that you control: depending on how spectators react, either cartoon icon could prevail.
Mickey’s Motorway Madness
@Imagineer Sroo

This…sounds like a ride. There is a kernel of a concept in here – guests controlling the race’s outcome – which suggests an extremely innovative new approach to a parade. With something so bold and out there, some sort of explanation is really needed. If my memory serves correctly, Spectromagic (right?) let guests use RFD wands to control floats’ LEDs. Would it be like that? Or totally different? Inquiring minds want to know.

Love the word “toontastic!”​

Mary Poppins Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Extravaganza

View attachment 489792

Disneyland is getting a hint of imagination with an all new Mary Poppins parade featuring songs from both movies like: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Can You Imagine That, Step in Time, and more which are accompanied by fabulous floats and outfits that come together to make sure you have fun!
Mary Poppins Supercalifragilistiexpialidocious Extravaganza
@NateD1226

This is almost certainly the narrowest parade theme. It’s been quite a while since I can recall Disney doing an entire parade focused wholly on one or two movies. Not since the ‘90s Disney Renaissance era, when stuff like Hercules got fairly under-budgeted daytime parades which made the queue for Space Mountain shorter.

I imagine your parade is more lavish & more permanent. Of all the proposals, this one would really depend on the live performers. That infectious live energy would be like watching a world-class marching band (Rose Parade style)! Plus it would perfectly complement both Main Street and the Hub. I am very much in love with that potential. While I doubt today’s Disney Company would dedicate a whole parade to one IP (not when they can artlessly cram in everything they own) it’s something I’d really like to see done.​

D Hulk

fantasia.jpg

Beginning with Snow White, and proceeding through the years of Walt Disney animated classics of Fantasia, Pinocchio, all the way up to the Jungle Book ( Walt Disney's last production), enjoy colorful floats and tantalyzing dance performances to celebrate the films that set the stage for animation today.
@spacemt354

Like @Outbound ‘s chronological history of Magic Kingdom, your chronological history of Walt Era Animation shares similar virtues & vices. This is an idea which wants a little plussing. As it is, it’s character floats, and that’s always cute. And there’s a clear logic to your IP lineup. But let’s really connect it to the art of animation! Use visuals on the floats to depict the process: Character pencil sketches. Storyboards. Cell inking. Use the Disney Cannon to tell how an animated feature gets created…and this is just me brainstorming an example. Hope you don’t mind that, Space.​

View attachment 489816

At the stroke of nine all lights are extinguished as the holographic form of Walt Disney walks to center stage in front of The Castle and states, “Every child is born blessed with a vivid imagination. But just as a muscle grows flabby with disuse, so the bright imagination of a child pales in later years if he ceases to exercise it...That’s what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination...” after which the stage he was standing on slowly raises amid fog and lights revealing a tunnel from which the hub is filled with some of the most imaginative creations of TWDC such as a holographic flying house from UP! seemly flying out over the crowd into the sky with additional movie characters circling the parade route; holographic Alice is seen “falling” out of the sky as if tumbling into Wonderland with a fleet of real characters marching her through the hub to the Red Queen at the Castle; real light cycles speed round the hub while holographic disc battles occur on the elevated stage in front of a Tron projection overlay of the Castle; and much more (such as Fantasia and James and the Giant Peach) from the most imaginative sections of the Disney library all set to appropriate music for each "act".
The Power of Imagination
@VaderTron

*immediately Googles “outdoor holograms, parades”*

03.-Photo-by-Roncalli-Circus.jpg

This is maybe one of our boldest ideas! It almost blurs the line between a nighttime castle spectacular and a mere parade. You do a fantastic job – like last time – of telling a complete character story in one rambling sentence. Yet with the underlying hologram concept, what I really want to know is…How would we do this?! If the tech is there, this would be like the next-gen version of Paint the Night; a state-of-the-art, visually-driven extravaganza which gets away with mixing & matching IPs through sheer spectacle.

This parade is the polar opposite of what @InspectorSpacetime proposed (nighttime wizardry vs. daytime botanicals), yet they feel similar. Both boldly reimagine how to do a Disney parade, and both are a bit unrealistic as a result. Neither is perfect, but that boldness demands respect!​

D Hulk

Dream It, Make It!

One little spark will light up for you as this grand parade celebrates the many ways that our imagination can be inspired to create, such as with science (with Hiro Hamada and Baymax in their lab), art (as Rapunzel eagerly shows off her latest paintings), and music (while Mickey Mouse conducts a mystic concert straight out of Fantasia)!
Dream It Make It
@DashHaber

This parade is clearly inspired by Journey into Imagination. The different sub-categories of imagination – science, art, music, would like to know more – give you a loose organization. Depending on the parade’s execution, this could either be very clear or it could feel like an IP muddle. If you really leaned into the Imagination theme…if you made Dreamfinder’s airship the opening float, and let Figment run wild throughout…I think then this would really pop! And so what if they’re Epcot characters?

With so many proposals competing, you would do well to include an image.​

DJ DCOM's Summertime Dance Party Parade

View attachment 489988

Coming to WDW as a temporary summertime replacement for the Move it Shake it Dance Party Parade in the hub; Kids, teens, and nostalgic millennial can come together to Bop to the Top and Move to the Groove of some of the best beats from Disney Channel Original Movies (like High School Musical, Descendants, and Z-O-M-B-I-E-S) all hosted by an original character, the lovably charismatic/inoffensively bland DJ DCOM!
DJ DCOM’s Summertime Dance Party Parade
@Pi on my Cake

You know, Pi, just when I think you couldn’t possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…

f4b85a9dd19f7d3abb512f8b39e52b3f.jpg

:p

D Hulk

THE PARADE OF THE STARSView attachment 490067 this nighttime parade focuses on astronomy, opening with a float showing off the earth, sun, & “the” moon, with subsequent floats consisting of models of the moon landing, modern astronomical tech, & our solar system, all lit up by vibrant & colorful lights.
The Parade of the Stars
@Pufflefan

The underlying premise of an astronomy-themed parade is extremely promising, much like @AceAstro 's seasons or @Evilgidgit 's seven seas. One logical way to organize this - a way which you've opted against - would be to cover the eight planets...plus a jokey reference to that one former planet and Mickey's dog. With either that planetary approach or the more scientific/historical approach you've taken, the musical choice is very, very obvious:

So...a possibly character-free show, one with an ambitious intellectual theme? It sounds sort of like the parade version of IllumiNations! Though at this point I am reading a whole lot into your sentence. If this interpretation was your intention, more sentence details are needed. Great idea, though!​

MUSICLAND
View attachment 490074
A battle between Jazz and Classical music is looming and is about to make its' way right down the middle of
Main Street U.S.A. in this celebration of all types of music, featuring floats and special effects
inspired by Silly Symphonies and some of the Disney's most classic musical numbers.
Musicland
@JokersWild

And the hits keep on coming! This is another fine thematic approach to a parade, like astronomy, seasons, and so many more. I am particularly a fan of the Silly Symphonies tie-in, which shines the spotlight on more obscure Disney cartoons. Yet again the one thing lacking is detail. Which shorts on which floats? Which musical numbers? What characters?

Of course you whipped this up in the 10 minutes or so since ending the SYWTBAI podcast (congrats to the Sweet Six!), and it's an impressive proposal for the turnaround time. If you've edited & expanded this prompt since first posting it, then my apologies for missing out on anything.​

Colors in Motion Parade
By Pix:

View attachment 490077

Moving from black and white Oswald and Steamboat Mickey into a wonderful world of colorful floats Colors in Motion Parade features fun characters and scenes based around the rainbow ending in a multicolored party float with Mickey, Minnie, and the rest of the fab five.
Colors in Motion Parade
@gam3rprincess

You're early tonight, :pix!

Though I would still recommend, for strategic reasons, that you sometimes post a little earlier. I'm pretty tired of parades by now, and it becomes harder to stand out.

This sounds a bit like a parade version of World of Color, which is neat. I like the progression from black & white to full Technicolor. Of course by now we've seen other prompts featuring Mickey & others. This is a delightful middle-of-the-pack entry. And the hand-drawn image is simply adorable!​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom