1 hit wonders

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by OldKeyWest24
did u see that 96 tears dude..hes a freak his name was a question mark..wow he was looney

Susan

You're losing me on this reference. Is 96 tears a band? If so it must be '90's 'cause I can't place it.

Nowinc,

Maybe you can help me with this: I remember two Trio songs in the '80s. One was the "Ich liebt du nicht do liebt mich nicht, da, da, da" song they use for the VW comercials, but I can't remember the other.:veryconfu

mightyduck

Originally posted by Ariel

Wow!! Someone else remembers Sqaure Pegs!! I was just talking to someone about that the other day and they didn't know what it was....and yes, I feel old now!! ;)

Personally, 99 Luftballoons is my favorite, although I am very partial to "Wouldn't It Be Good" by Nik Kershaw. But, don't get me started on all the 80's stuff...I could go on and on.....

Ariel, would you like me to pack my "best of nik kershaw" cd? :)

NowInc

Originally posted by garyhoov

Nowinc,

Maybe you can help me with this: I remember two Trio songs in the '80s. One was the "Ich liebt du nicht do liebt mich nicht, da, da, da" song they use for the VW comercials, but I can't remember the other.:veryconfu

Trio actually had a few songs that were "minor hits" that most people dont even know about...

Broken Hearts for you and me
Lady-o-lady
Sunday you need love, monday be alone

Da da da du liebst mich nicht du liebst mich nicht aha aha aha (which in english translation turned into "
Da da da I Don't Love You You Don't Love Me Aha Aha Aha")
Anna – Laßmichrein laßmichraus (which in english translation was "Anna – Letmein Letmeout")
Bum Bum (which english turned into "boom boom")
They did a cover of Tutti Frutti
Herz ist Trumpf (translated into "Hearts are Trump")
Turaluraluralu – Ich mach Bubu was machst Du (translated into "Tooralooralooraloo – Is It Old & Is It New")

(there are more..but they werent "hits")

...ah how i love german music ;)

OldKeyWest24

Original Poster
Gary-96 tears was a song from like the 60's or 70's. It was a really awful song and the lead signer, ? (thats his name), is a phsyco.

I loved Square Pegs when it ws on Ncik at Nite. That wa a pretty cool show. Nothing beats The Facts of Life though..lol

Susan

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Gary-96 tears was a song from like the 60's or 70's. It was a really awful song and the lead signer, ? (thats his name), is a phsyco.

I loved Square Pegs when it ws on Ncik at Nite. That wa a pretty cool show. Nothing beats The Facts of Life though..lol

Susan

Yeaaaah, now that you say that, I do remember hearing something like that. It's still not jumping into focus yet though. If I think of something else, it should pop into my brain clearer after a few hours.

Debbie

I just remembered a one hit wonder/song: Fantasy by Aldo Nova.
That song rocked!
Let's see what else I can find in the record pile...........
Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold
Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks
Paper Roses by Marie Osmond
Too Shy by Kaja GooGoo
Rigomortis
Shriekback......no one move a muscle til the dead come home

I'll look for more later

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by Debbie
I just remembered a one hit wonder/song: Fantasy by Aldo Nova.
That song rocked!
Let's see what else I can find in the record pile...........
Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold
Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks
Paper Roses by Marie Osmond
Too Shy by Kaja GooGoo
Rigomortis
Shriekback......no one move a muscle til the dead come home

I'll look for more later

If you've got the 45 of "Seasons in the Sun" flip it over. It's got the one of the strangest obscene little ditties you've ever heard:D

Dawn S

I saw Faith No More on the 1-Hit Wonders list too & I totally disagree with that. Maybe I'm in denial. Mike Patton is supreme ruler over the land of the voice!

Debbie..."Fantasy" - GREAT song. I actually saw Aldo Nova in concert by surprise in a little Texas bar once. Very cool!

I was always into every kind of music around. I am the queen of useless music knowledge & 1-hit wonders always appealed to me. Some of my favorites (that I haven't seen listed here yet)

Toy Soldiers - Martika
Love Is On the Way - Saigon Kick (although it was by far, their worst song & the band was dramatically under-promoted)
Goodbye To You - Scandal
Sad Eyes - Robert John
Tons of 80's hair band stuff, but like Dan said, I'm not opening that can of worms.
I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
What's Up - 4 Non Blondes

I know I'm forgetting a bunch, but those are some of my favorites. I'm typically a ballad-loving person. Most of my favorite bands were "no-hit wonders". :rolleyes:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by Dawn S
I saw Faith No More on the 1-Hit Wonders list too & I totally disagree with that. Maybe I'm in denial. Mike Patton is supreme ruler over the land of the voice!

I agree. I think a true 1-Hit wonder comes from a relatively talentless singer/band who happens to record a catchy tune. There are many talented musicians who make great music but only have one or two "hits".

Pink Floyd could be called a Two-Hit Wonder since their only "hits" were "Money" and "Another Brick in the Wall part II".

OldKeyWest24

Original Poster
Originally posted by Dawn S

Debbie..."Fantasy" - GREAT song. I actually saw Aldo Nova in concert by surprise in a little Texas bar once. Very cool!

I was always into every kind of music around. I am the queen of useless music knowledge & 1-hit wonders always appealed to me. Some of my favorites (that I haven't seen listed here yet)

Toy Soldiers - Martika
Love Is On the Way - Saigon Kick (although it was by far, their worst song & the band was dramatically under-promoted)
Goodbye To You - Scandal
Sad Eyes - Robert John
Tons of 80's hair band stuff, but like Dan said, I'm not opening that can of worms.
I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
What's Up - 4 Non Blondes

I know I'm forgetting a bunch, but those are some of my favorites. I'm typically a ballad-loving person. Most of my favorite bands were "no-hit wonders". :rolleyes:

whats up..thats a good one too!

when i was little I loved by Merideth brooks ( I think thats her name) my mom had a lil chat with me after i started running around the mall soinging that song

Susan

darthdarrel

Originally posted by garyhoov
I liked "Come on Eileen" and "99 Luft Balloons" (the German Version) when they first came out, but they got overplayed to the point I got sick of them.

Now when I hear them, it's hard to hear the actual song. It's more of a memory thing and when I hear them, my mind floods with all the parties and good times I had listening to those songs when I was younger.

Pass the Dutchie and It's Raining Men never really got played at the parties I used to go to. I think they seemed a bit too "mainstream" for the crowd I hung out with. Now if anyone starts reviving old songs by The Smiths, the Cure, The Violent Femmes etc. that will really take me back. Does anyone listen to those things anymore?

Thanks OldKeyWest24 for the interesting topic! It's interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who wasn't even born when the songs came out.

:wave:
I still love the Cure,The Smiths,ETC.
My favorite group is Depeche Mode!:D
as far as one hit wonders, does anyone remember a song called I eat Cannibals?

darthdarrel

Originally posted by NowInc
Almost every bubblegum metal band in the 80s were one hit wonders....lets not get into THAT..hehe...

almost all the artists of the 80s were classified as one hit wonders..but the reality is that most of them had another hit..just not in the US ;)

Bands like Madness..Frankie goes to hollywood...Depeche mode....etc all had HUGE hits in europe after their US smashes.

There there are the fact that many bands since then have covered their one hits....(providing of course that the 80's hit wasnt a cover already)

Some of my favorite "one hit wonders" are (and their respective covers)::

Dont you forget about me - Simple Minds (breakfast club..yeah!) - covered by Life of Agony

Come on Eileen - Dixies midnight runners - covered by Save Ferris

Anarcy in the UK - The Se x pistols - covered by Megadeth, Motley Crue, Green Jelly (formerly known as Green Jello) and about a dozen others..

Epic - Faith no more (no band has covered tihs yet...but i plan on changing that!...i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE faith no more)

Smokin in the boys room - Brownsville station - covered by Motley Crue

I Touch Myself - The Divinyls - Covered by one of my personal favorites...the Genitorturers

Shout - Tears for Fears - Covered by Disturbed

Cars - Gary Numan - Covered by Fear Factory

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly - Covered by Slayer

Take on Me - A-ha - covered by Real Big fish

Tainted Love - Soft Cell - Covered by Mariyln Manson (yes yes..i know)
I hate to tell you this but Depeche mode by no means were one hit wonders,infact they are still making music to this day and they have had several SMASH HITS!

Invero

AKKK I can't beleive no one has mentioned my favorite one hit wonder... I'll give you a clue...

Oh Mickey, you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey, hey Mickey

jmarc63

how bout that song by crash test dummies its like humming all the time its Hmmm Hmmm hmm...weird al did a cover of that too.

Susan

Yea someone I knew called it the M&M song

jmarc63

Originally posted by NowInc
Almost every bubblegum metal band in the 80s were one hit wonders....lets not get into THAT..hehe...

almost all the artists of the 80s were classified as one hit wonders..but the reality is that most of them had another hit..just not in the US ;)

Bands like Madness..Frankie goes to hollywood...Depeche mode....etc all had HUGE hits in europe after their US smashes.

There there are the fact that many bands since then have covered their one hits....(providing of course that the 80's hit wasnt a cover already)

Some of my favorite "one hit wonders" are (and their respective covers)::

Dont you forget about me - Simple Minds (breakfast club..yeah!) - covered by Life of Agony

Come on Eileen - Dixies midnight runners - covered by Save Ferris

Anarcy in the UK - The Se x pistols - covered by Megadeth, Motley Crue, Green Jelly (formerly known as Green Jello) and about a dozen others..

Epic - Faith no more (no band has covered tihs yet...but i plan on changing that!...i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE faith no more)

Smokin in the boys room - Brownsville station - covered by Motley Crue

I Touch Myself - The Divinyls - Covered by one of my personal favorites...the Genitorturers

Shout - Tears for Fears - Covered by Disturbed

Cars - Gary Numan - Covered by Fear Factory

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly - Covered by Slayer

Take on Me - A-ha - covered by Real Big fish

Tainted Love - Soft Cell - Covered by Mariyln Manson (yes yes..i know)

I thought I heard an eariler version of Tainted love done in the sixties, I dont know the artist

jmarc63

I got a one hit wonders brainbuster for you. This might show my age.

Afternoon delight by the starland vocal band. done in arounf 1976-1977??

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
Gonna grab some afternoon delight
My motto's always been 'when it's right, it's right'
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night?
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day
And we know the night is always gonna be there any way

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
Looking forward to a little afternoon delight
Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight

Started out this morning feeling so polite
I always though a fish could not be caught who wouldn't bite
But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might try nibbling
A little afternoon delight
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight

Please be waiting for me, baby, when I come around
We could make a lot of lovin' 'for the sun goes down

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
Looking forward to a little afternoon delight
Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight

Afternoon delight!

Anyone see the subliminal lyrics??

They had a failed varity show on I think it was ABC or CBS that same year

or
....have a ball saturday night, saturday niiiiihhhght, sa-sa-sa-saturday niiiihhhght,sa-sa-sa-saturday niiiiihhhght,sa-sa-sa-saturday niiiihhhght
s-a-t-u-r-d-a-y-Night
s-a-t-u-r-d-a-y- Night
s-a-t-u-r-d-a-y-Night

bay city rollers

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom