“Interactive” Attraction Appearance.

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
So, with Mission to Mars and the Millennium Falcon roads, we learn that Disney thinks that pushing buttons and missing what’s happening is an interactive experience. Say what? Two

distractions in the attraction. IMHO, there are three principles for an interactive attraction.

1. There should be a string link between what you do and the resultant action
  2. Guests concentration should be almost exclusively concentrated on the attraction action. This requires heads-up displays.
  3. Any single guest experience should not be dependent on single guests experience level
The two attraction that I have mentioned satisfied NONE of these principles.

justintheharris

So, with Mission to Mars and the Millennium Falcon roads, we learn that Disney thinks that pushing buttons and missing what’s happening is an interactive experience. Say what? Two

distractions in the attraction. IMHO, there are three principles for an interactive attraction.

2. Guests concentration should be almost exclusively concentrated on the attraction action. This requires heads-up displays.
  3. Any single guest experience should not be dependent on single guests experience level
Mission to Mars? Do you mean Mission:Space? You don't miss what's happening by needing to push buttons on that ride....

Your points 1 and 3 are nearly contradictory. You want things in the attraction to be dependent on people's actions BUT the actions of an individual shouldn't make or break the experience?? Huh?

The only point you make is with 2. and that's exclusive to the Gunner and Engineer roles on Smuggler's Run

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
Mission to Mars? Do you mean Mission:Space? You don't miss what's happening by needing to push buttons on that ride....

Your points 1 and 3 are nearly contradictory. You want things in the attraction to be dependent on people's actions BUT the actions of an individual shouldn't make or break the experience?? Huh?

The only point you make is with 2. and that's exclusive to the Gunner and Engineer roles on Smuggler's Run

Ok, Mission: Space. You must me very talented. I’ve watched people overwhelmed!

Points 1 & 3 are very real issues. There are common algorithms that minimize the effect a single point

eliza61nyc

question?? what do you miss on Mission space by pushing ther buttons? You find it hard to pay attention on the rides?

Victor Kelly

Hmmm. Mission space, only one button in each seat does anything. They rest get played with. No matter what you do you make it to Mars(in Arnie voice).

I have not been Star Wars land, so I cannot judge the Smugglers running ride. But having watched videos, what you do has effects on the ride. But I cannot judge it.

JustAFan

Why would one be overwhelmed on Mission Space if, as you describe, your actions cause no effect to the outcome? The pilot's actions in Smuggler's Run do effect the experience. The interactive experiences may fall short of true interaction, but you get out of what you look for also. If you go in expecting to have fun, you do. If you are skeptical and expect to be let down, that could also be true.

Raineman

You can't fully satisfy both points 1 and 3 in your post. Smuggler's Run, and every other attraction at WDW, has to be built for the general public in mind. If SR was built solely for Star Wars fanatics and/or hardcore gamers, then you could have the experience extremely detailed and completely hinging on every push of a button or lever that is made by each rider. However, if this was the case, and you have a cockpit full of people who are only riding for a laugh and a good time, the ship would most likely crash and the ride would be over. By the same token, if you only had one big button for each rider to push, and it had little to no effect on the course of the ride, then that would be dissatisfying to the people who are looking for at least a partial simulation-type experience. This attraction has to maintain that balance, and I think it does that.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hmmm. Mission space, only one button in each seat does anything. They rest get played with. No matter what you do you make it to Mars(in Arnie voice).
Two buttons, actually... but if you are so mesmerized by that screen in front of your face* that you miss your very obvious audio cue to push one, the system does an "automatic override."

*very much like a head-up display

JIMINYCR

Wow... Ive never found Disneys attractions that require interaction to be strenuous enough that Ive ever missed anything. Its not that complicated. People multi task every day in their lives at home. Pushing buttons on MS isnt that complicated or distracting. If you can chew gum and tie your shoes at the same time you should be able to handle a Disney ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom