“Industrial Accident” near France Pavilion in Epcot

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So sad for the family and co-workers.

And WDW won't be too happy when OSHA comes knocking, either...

seascape

Most of the construction crews are contractors. Isn't compliance with OSHA standards on them, not Disney?
Construction accidents are horrible but happen all the time. When the NJ Devil's arena was build in Newark, NJ the construction company was about to celebrate a year without any injury and the day before they had one.

I feel real sad for anyone that gets injured or killed on the job. That is why we have OSHA. Yes, it's the contractors responsiblity for safety and not Disney's. However, Disney should state how sorry they are and wish the best to his family. Privately. I hope they reach out to his family and offer them a vacation to see what he was working for. I would hate for them to do this publicly.

BigThunderMatt

The general contractor for Ratatouille, if this was related to that project, is not Disney.

To be fair though Disney isn't exactly known for getting the best of the best for contractors. They legitimately went through three different contractors for the Coronado refurbishment because the ones they hired kept screwing things up or having to go back and fix things or taking significantly longer than what they were quoted. Disney seems to love having to continually pay more to get the work done and then redone rather than paying a little more and getting it done RIGHT the first time.

denyuntilcaught

To be fair though Disney isn't exactly known for getting the best of the best for contractors. They legitimately went through three different contractors for the Coronado refurbishment because the ones they hired kept screwing things up or having to go back and fix things or taking significantly longer than what they were quoted. Disney seems to love having to continually pay more to get the work done and then redone rather than paying a little more and getting it done RIGHT the first time.

This was like, the story of Shanghai Disney. So many small rebuilds and redos because of the poor quality of contractors. AND it was in China, obviously, so that played a factor.

n2hifi

Disney seems to love having to continually pay more to get the work done and then redone rather than paying a little more and getting it done RIGHT the first time.

To be fair (working for a construction company myself) it is really difficult to get good workers these days. Construction is booming, unemployment (at least around here) is almost non-existent, and people are lazy. We are constantly making crews redo things and are seeing the same thing with other trades. Our labor hours have almost doubled while paying more per worker. When we use agencies, less than half show up for work. Heck just getting people to show up within 30 minutes of start time is a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom