“Industrial Accident” near France Pavilion in Epcot

Foolish Mortal

most of you people have no idea what you're talking about ! sadly this is on the worker if the report is true that he wasn't wearing his company issued safety equipment. plain and simple. I work in cable tv and have been trained on ladder handling, wearing my safety gear and how to identify possible safety issues. the worst thing a worker who works at heights can do is think "oh this will only take me a minute, I don't need my safety gear". EVERY company wants the bidder who can do it the cheapest, EVERY company !! no matter how much a company stresses safety it only takes one person who thinks "it won't happen to me" or "i don't need my safety gear". stop blaming Disney.

LSLS

most of you people have no idea what you're talking about ! sadly this is on the worker if the report is true that he wasn't wearing his company issued safety equipment. plain and simple. I work in cable tv and have been trained on ladder handling, wearing my safety gear and how to identify possible safety issues. the worst thing a worker who works at heights can do is think "oh this will only take me a minute, I don't need my safety gear". EVERY company wants the bidder who can do it the cheapest, EVERY company !! no matter how much a company stresses safety it only takes one person who thinks "it won't happen to me" or "i don't need my safety gear". stop blaming Disney.

Actually you dont know what you are talking about. If you are injured falling off a ladder, osha will be inspecting your company. They may not cite your company for any wrong doing in the end, but they will be there interviewing employees, checking the procedure manuals, inspecting the harnesses, inspecting your incident logs, etc. People arent really blaming disney as much as saying they now have a big hassle, and I personally am saying there will be a significant increase in the scrutiny from osha with this being the second fatal accident in under a years time.

Driver

How does one get catapulted out of a man lift?
The lift has a man basket at the end of an extendable boom, some of these booms can be as long as 185'. Now picture an abrupt up or down movement and the occupant is thrown out. If a harness is worn it will at least catch you and save you from falling. Some operators get complacent and use the lifts without a harness thinking " this will only take a minute " and then it happens!

Jimdalva

Like it or not, fair or not, Its Disneys property, so Disneys responsibility. A man died, the safety dept failed to enforce their own regulations. Disney will pay, and it will not be made public.

seascape

Like it or not, fair or not, Its Disneys property, so Disneys responsibility. A man died, the safety dept failed to enforce their own regulations. Disney will pay, and it will not be made public.
I hate to say it, but you are just wrong. Disney is not responsible for this death. There was nothing Disney did wrong that caused this accident. I do hate the fact that anyone dies on Disney property but there are deaths that have happened in the past and with over 75,000 people on property every day of the year it would be crazy to not expect someone to occasionally die. Stop blaming Disney or Universal for an on property death which is not their fault. Plus according to your logic the government is liable for any injury happening in its jurisdiction. That is just beyond belief.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney is not responsible for this death

Truth is - we have no idea. So it's false to make claims either way. Yes, Disney is not at fault by default... but none of us really know the circumstances so everyone should back off on the blame game.

Yes, Disney has defenses to their liability depending on how it went down... unlike @Jimdalva claiming Disney is going down no matter what.

TL : DR - no one should be talking in absolutes when no one has any clue what actually happened or without an investigation.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The reality is, like any mature corporation Disney certainly will have language written into all of their contracts to specifically call out a contractor's responsibilities for the safety of the work environment and the contractors' workers and subcontractors. This is normal liability language written into all sorts of contracts to ensure the contractor is responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations related to the work they are performing and the safety of their employees and subcontractors. I've written similar language into countless contracts over the years specifically to ensure the contractor follows the law and to prevent them from transferring liability to the company hiring them.

LSLS

I hate to say it, but you are just wrong. Disney is not responsible for this death. There was nothing Disney did wrong that caused this accident. I do hate the fact that anyone dies on Disney property but there are deaths that have happened in the past and with over 75,000 people on property every day of the year it would be crazy to not expect someone to occasionally die. Stop blaming Disney or Universal for an on property death which is not their fault. Plus according to your logic the government is liable for any injury happening in its jurisdiction. That is just beyond belief.

You are correct assuming they had ensured there was a proper safety plan, proper ppe was required and distributed, etc. But you dont know this as the case, which is why osha will investigate. As was already stated, it's wrong to state either way at this point.

janoimagine

If its anything like highway work ... the contractor is under control and liable for the area while its under construction ... Found this out recently while trying to film on a section of highway in Seattle that was involved in some road work.

Unfortunately everything is triple bid now a days ... in every industry ... hell I did it with the company I hired to grind and polish the concrete in our basement ... eventually you cut too many corners to make a profit or break even ... not saying this is why or how that poor individual died but it has become the industry standard thanks in large part to 'cost consultants' ... to which I say those who can't ... consult.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So sad for the family and co-workers.

And WDW won't be too happy when OSHA comes knocking, either...

It happens...if industrial accidents weren’t a part of life...there would not be an osha - one of the greatest agencies ever conceived (I know it’s technically an administration)...right behind the EPA

Most of the construction crews are contractors. Isn't compliance with OSHA standards on them, not Disney?

From a practical, legal perspective...both are.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You are Incorrect...and by saying “stop blaming Disney”, you would have negated a valid point if you have one...which you don’t. Insert whatever company name you want - other than Disney - and the realities would be the same. Would you hold Comcast responsible? Why yes...yes you would. As would the courts and the insurance...to some extent. In essence: take the mouse ears off and use the brain underneath.

I know a guy who’s an industrial hygienist and a CSP 🤔...and also knows a bit about the WDW operation
Actually you dont know what you are talking about. If you are injured falling off a ladder, osha will be inspecting your company. They may not cite your company for any wrong doing in the end, but they will be there interviewing employees, checking the procedure manuals, inspecting the harnesses, inspecting your incident logs, etc. People arent really blaming disney as much as saying they now have a big hassle, and I personally am saying there will be a significant increase in the scrutiny from osha with this being the second fatal accident in under a years time.

The company issuing safety equipment has a underlying responsibility to see that its used properly...and the owner of the property can often be sited for issues regarding abnormalities to what the inspectors determine to be outside of reasonable safety protocols.

So it’s never “on the guy” from an investigative standpoint. Indeed - That’s often the least probably conclusion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom