“EPCOT”’s New Name

Epcot82Guy

Ah yes. Every time I go to Disney, every child is holding a Remy plush... a Mary Poppins one too!
I love how you guys claim you don’t want epcot to be stuck in the 80s but one of you also blatantly states you want the original Journey Into Imagination and Horizons back and I can promise you, if it used updated technology, you’d have a hissy fit. I can almost guarantee that this forum will hate the Spaceship Earth update just because they hate any change.

Actually, as the one who mentioned Horizons and JII - I believe I said very clearly with updated technology. Just like we have seen with Haunted Mansion, Pirates, the Disneyland Fantasyland rides, etc. Those were both excellent classic Disney attractions that should have been retained and updated (note not preserved).

Your argument also assumes people don't like change. Illumniations:ROE was my favorite Epcot thing of all time. And it was a drastic change from its predecessor in many ways. And I loved it. Similarly, while I loved KK, I think Soarin' is an excellent change to the Land that fits thematically. I even think a well done Coco overlay at El Rio Del Tiempo could be a really fun addition (if it's about Mexico or Dia de los Muertos vs. Coco).

Also, I would note your argument assumes we are comparing what was (let's say the spine) to the new Disney version (new Festival Center with legs). A better argument is what could have been if the investment had been used differently (like some of the approaches Martin has pointed out).

In short, I'm all for change and progress! But, it should be done well (my opinion) and in line with the original spirit of what was there.

ThatMouse

In short, I'm all for change and progress! But, it should be done well (my opinion) and in line with the original spirit of what was there.

I agree! And I would stress that original ideas top anything from the movies. I'm not sure why everyone is so hot to take a movie and make it into an attraction, especially when EPCOT really mastered the idea of original attractions.

Epcot82Guy

I agree! And I would stress that original ideas top anything from the movies. I'm not sure why everyone is so hot to take a movie and make it into an attraction, especially when EPCOT really mastered the idea of original attractions.

I actually can get behind some movie tie ins where they make sense. I think the Awesome Planet addition at The Land is great. I think a new type of Innoventions hosted by the Big Hero 6 team, but showing actual advancements in tech could be really cool. Even Remy could work well if he was instructing about French cooking techniques or something. But, the original THEMES are still present.

I am just baffled that the Imagineers go to length to put layers upon layers of cohesive story into something like Galaxy's Edge. But, when you take one step back to the "land view" (let alone park view), the overall stories become forced and jumbled.

tirian

Ah yes. Every time I go to Disney, every child is holding a Remy plush... a Mary Poppins one too!
I love how you guys claim you don’t want epcot to be stuck in the 80s but one of you also blatantly states you want the original Journey Into Imagination and Horizons back and I can promise you, if it used updated technology, you’d have a hissy fit. I can almost guarantee that this forum will hate the Spaceship Earth update just because they hate any change.
Why are you lumping everyone together as one person?

Some change is good; some is bad. Life is complicated.

UNCgolf

Lmao nobody wants EPCOT to magically revert back to 1982. Stop mocking people just because you want the talking plant to be the new park spokesman.

I would love to go visit EPCOT, the Magic Kingdom, and Disney-MGM circa 1991 or 1992 because there was so much cool stuff that no longer exists. SeaBase Alpha, Communicore, Wonders of Life, Journey into Imagination and ImageWorks, Horizons, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, the Great Movie Ride, the Studio Backlot Tour, and probably other things I'm forgetting. Also the stores in the parks were far more interesting and unique back then; now they all basically sell the same stuff.

With that said, I wouldn't want them to revert back permanently. Things need to be updated, added, etc. as time passes. I'd just like to have the option to go back and see/do those things once!

Last edited:

n2hifi

I would love to go visit EPCOT, the Magic Kingdom, and Disney-MGM circa 1991 or 1992 because there was so much cool stuff that no longer exists. SeaBase Alpha, Communicore, Wonders of Life, Journey into Imagination and ImageWorks, Horizons, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White's Scary Adventures, the Great Movie Ride, the Studio Backlot Tour, and probably other things I'm forgetting.

Here's a crazy idea for a ride/experience that would never happen. Think small simulators like Disney Quest. While in line you pick the original EPCOT ride experience you want and the simulator recreates it sort of like Martin's videos. The ride experience would probably have to be CGI recreations of the original, but I would certainly wait in lines for that, especially if they could do panoramic views in the simulator.

trainplane3

Here's a crazy idea for a ride/experience that would never happen. Think small simulators like Disney Quest. While in line you pick the original EPCOT ride experience you want and the simulator recreates it sort of like Martin's videos. The ride experience would probably have to be CGI recreations of the original, but I would certainly wait in lines for that, especially if they could do panoramic views in the simulator.
There's a project kind of like that out there right now apparently. If it gets used, who knows.

rreading

Actually, as the one who mentioned Horizons and JII - I believe I said very clearly with updated technology. Just like we have seen with Haunted Mansion, Pirates, the Disneyland Fantasyland rides, etc. Those were both excellent classic Disney attractions that should have been retained and updated (note not preserved).

Your argument also assumes people don't like change. Illumniations:ROE was my favorite Epcot thing of all time. And it was a drastic change from its predecessor in many ways. And I loved it. Similarly, while I loved KK, I think Soarin' is an excellent change to the Land that fits thematically. I even think a well done Coco overlay at El Rio Del Tiempo could be a really fun addition (if it's about Mexico or Dia de los Muertos vs. Coco).

Also, I would note your argument assumes we are comparing what was (let's say the spine) to the new Disney version (new Festival Center with legs). A better argument is what could have been if the investment had been used differently (like some of the approaches Martin has pointed out).

Change can be good, when it's a change for the better. I think that you're in the minority (certainly of those of us on this forum but also of those who remember the past) of those who think that the changes in HM (projected ghosts at the end of the ride) or those in POTC are better than what came before. Peter Pan's new queue is great, but I'd be skeptical of changes to the ride (my understanding is that our DL counterparts have buyer's remorse about their "additions").

The plussing of BTMRR - or just restoring its previous effects - would be welcomed. But often I'm not in favor of change just for change's sake.

But I do appreciate what's being done in EPCOT; and I do think that community - as that term applies to humankind's relationship to one another - is still at the core of EPCOT.

Epcot82Guy

Change can be good, when it's a change for the better. I think that you're in the minority (certainly of those of us on this forum but also of those who remember the past) of those who think that the changes in HM (projected ghosts at the end of the ride) or those in POTC are better than what came before. Peter Pan's new queue is great, but I'd be skeptical of changes to the ride (my understanding is that our DL counterparts have buyer's remorse about their "additions").

That actually raises an important distinction. I think the changes to Mansion are just fine personally (save for the Queue) because they largely keep in direct line with the original attraction and its story and place. POTC is a different matter. Adding Jack and a very shallow, linear story fundamentally changed the ride. And, I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I did before, frankly. BTMRR (Disneyland) is a great testament to how new tech can be used to enhance an existing ride/story.

It's that fundamental shift and change that triggers me. I am a bit surprised to say you find community is still at the heart of Epcot, since the new additions are all about Disney-branded fantasy. While there is some inspiration by real places, the new attractions are focused on showcasing Disney's creation - not the actual place or technology itself. So, Epcot is now becoming a "Disney"-focused park instead of a park focused on our own world with Disney inspirations/touches IMHO.

Rich Brownn

In some ways dividing Future World sort of echo's back to the original plans for the EPCOT Future World Theme Center. In the original design 3 huge buildings (closer to 192) would act as the entranceway to all of WDW. I forget the themes but each building would be dedicated to something overall (I think it was Science, Arts and Nature but I can't remember -- was a long time ago). These would be free (gasp!) and sponsored by corporations. From there WEDways and other systems would take you out to different "satellites" exploring in more depth - i.e., World Showcase, and even the Magic Kingdom, would be satellites for culture and amusment. When corporations showed more enthusiasm than countries, World Showcase and the Theme Center were merged together.

rreading

That actually raises an important distinction. I think the changes to Mansion are just fine personally (save for the Queue) because they largely keep in direct line with the original attraction and its story and place. POTC is a different matter. Adding Jack and a very shallow, linear story fundamentally changed the ride. And, I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I did before, frankly. BTMRR (Disneyland) is a great testament to how new tech can be used to enhance an existing ride/story.

It's that fundamental shift and change that triggers me. I am a bit surprised to say you find community is still at the heart of Epcot, since the new additions are all about Disney-branded fantasy. While there is some inspiration by real places, the new attractions are focused on showcasing Disney's creation - not the actual place or technology itself. So, Epcot is now becoming a "Disney"-focused park instead of a park focused on our own world with Disney inspirations/touches IMHO.

I had posted more of a perspective about my feeling about what EPCOT means in a different thread. But clearly culture is the core of World Showcase (even visiting a fictitious cultural celebration in Norway with FEA). In old EPCOT we see:

human's culture through the ages in SSE;

his relationship with Earth in LwtL and Soarin and Moana's water experience - and which is what the Living Seas is intended to represent (we just ignore the noise which is Nemo);

Imagination is how man shapes the world;

and the other side, the way we extend ourselves into automobiles or space - which are not so much individual experiences as cultural developments;

and finally play is the development of culture.

So, yes - I think that EPCOT is about mankind and his extensions into the world. His "culture"

TwilightZone

Epcot is a name thats too set in stone but then again so was mgm studios at one point.
So if I were to give it a new name why not Disney Discovery. It's generic enough that it fits both future world (I will still call it that forever haha) and world showcase.

Sjeason

It’s funny to think what these boards would have looked like had they existed in the late 60s when the board dropped just about all of Walt’s vision and plan for EPCOT and then in the 70s when they designed a theme park based on Worlds Fairs and decided to call it EPCOT, which was nothing like what was intended. The name has ALWAYS been inappropriately used. Therefore it doesn’t need to change....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom