“Disney-holics in the Making” - a Yoopers Pre-Journey in the Making

Greetings from the shores of Lake Superior!

IMG_5616.jpg

As the title of our Pre-Trip Report states we are what Michiganders call, “Yoopers”. For those of you who are unfamiliar with that term of endearment, a Yopper is someone who was born or has lived the majority of majority of their life in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Those who live downstate (or below the bridge) are called Trolls. Ok, enough with the geography lessons – let’s get to it. (Oh – let me warn you… grammar is not my forte. So, all you grammar experts out there, please accept my apology. I will write it the way I talk. So, I’m sorry but just reach for a cocktail and take your thinking caps off while you read. :)

First allow me to introduce ourselves. Our little family consists of me – Catherine, my husband – Rob and our almost 3yr old son – Jonah.

IMG_5959.jpg

Rob and I (yes, just the two of us) will be embarking on our first WDW trip (as adults) for a 5night/6day stay (October 16 – October 21). When I was 16yrs old (actually, I spent my 16th bay in the MK) my parents and I went to WDW. There are 6 of us kids in my family – but there is a 9yr difference between myself and the second youngest…so, by the time my folks could afford to go to WDW all the other kids were grown up and I was left to “endure” the trip. Haa. Of course being the only kid with your parents who were 58yrs old at the time was not the most fun, but I still loved the trip and was so grateful for the experience. At that time Epcot won me over big time and MGM (as it was called then) was a disappointment after enjoying Epcot and MK. We had stayed off property and my dream at the time was to stay on property and to eat in The World. (We did everything very fiscally conservative so there were no meals on property)

When Rob was young he spent the day at Epcot with his friend and his friend’s family. He has commented several times about Captain EO and how cool that was, how he had fun eating at the restaurant at “El Rio Del Tiempo” (as it was called then) and how he bought a red Ferrari car in Italy. But again, this duration was incredibly short, he was young and he only got to see Epcot. When we were married 12 years ago we wanted to go to WDW, but we were young and couldn’t afford it. We have talked about it every year it seems and it is always just dreamed about, discussed “what would we do if…”, and wished we could go. But between job hopping as young people, the poor economy in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and then having a child three years ago – the dream has remained that … a pipe dream! Until….

Valentine’s Day week my husband started acting funny. He was all excited for Valentine’s Day (this is strange since we don’t do much for that Hallmark Holiday). I knew he had gotten me something but I couldn’t imagine what had brought him so much happiness and boyish giddiness. Press Pause – my husband is not giddy – EVER!! On the outside he comes off cranky, quiet and cocky. On the inside though…. a HUGE teddy bear! It takes a while to see it, but it is there and then you are hooked! So, to have this crazy giddiness around the house was strange. What did he do? What does he want? It was all suspicious! On the Eve of Valentine’s Day he could not handle it and more so, I could not handle it. So, he gave me my card but prefaced it… don’t be mad! Ah Ha! I knew he did something! I opened up the homemade Mickey Mouse card and inside he told me how the dream was now going to be reality and we would be going to WDW in October!!! I couldn’t believe it! He booked a trip and airfare for a trip without me knowing!!!!

Do I kill him or do I hug him! Hugging won over and to be honest, I was happy that he just went and did it because the practical part of me would NEVER have done that. You see, we have NEVER taken a real trip before. We have taken countless vacations or trips to see family and when we were married we did a three night stay in the Copper Country (here in the UP). But, we’ve never been away!!!! This is not only our first trip to Disney World – but it is our first REAL trip ever!!!! :sohappy:

So, onto the details….

Embarking on this dream will just be my husband and I – no DS Jonah!!!!! Our son will be spending the week with his Grandma and Grandpa downstate Michigan! So, it’s just us!!

We will leave Marquette, MI on Saturday, October 15th for downstate which is an 8hr drive. For those of you who have never been to Michigan – you must come! It’s gorgeous! We have four seasons – summer and fall are the best – unless you like winter outdoor activities! In that case, we rate pretty high on the winter activities. Anyway, on our way downstate we’ll take in our normal route attractions – the main one being the Mackinaw Bridge (larger than the Golden Gate).

IMG_0550.jpg

Jonah, our son loves walking under the bridge (he’s Jonah – not Jesus, so he walks on the land) and throwing rocks into the lake. It makes for a perfect mid-trip outdoor activity. Then on Sunday, October 16th (my 38th Birthday actually), we will be taking Air Tran to The World!!!! We will be staying at All Star Movies for our trip! We needed to stay at a value resort and the Movies looked the most fun. I’m not sure now after doing a bunch of reading if we would have picked it… because Pop seems to get a LOT of attention, but we will find out if we like it and NEXT time (yes, there WILL be a next time) we can stay at the Pop or a Moderate. We’re not the type of folks who will stay in our room or our resort much – we’ll just be there to sleep and shower. So, I don’t think it matters too much where we stay as long as it’s clean. We have the Dining Plan – MYWPDining, so we are looking forward to trying out different foods and perhaps indulging a bit. Plus it’s Wine and Food Festival so it’s a perfect time to visit!

When we first began planning our trip we wanted Epcot to be the first park we went to. But, the more we become Disney-addicts we, the more we want to spend our first day at MK. Nothing says Disney more than the MK. We can’t wait to walk thru the tunnel and smell the confectionery, hear the clopping of the horses and the magical music and set our gazes on Cindarella’s castle! I can safetly say that we BOTH dream about this moment. We will be landing in Orlando at about 9:30am so we hope we will be able to be at the park by about 11:30am. Do you think that’s possible?

Our plan is to come up with a list of priority attractions at each park. However, looking at the crowd predictions I think we’ll be able to see most of what we want. The only thing that may slow us down is our bodies. haa Of course there are also some experiences that we both look forward to enjoying. Here is a few of my “dreams” while at WDW:

-Walk around the World Showcase as dusk….leisurely. (I remember when I was 16yrs old wishing I was with the man of my dreams, instead of my two 60yr old parents. It looked like such a romantic place – I hope to experience that romance there in “the world”.
-Eat a churro, a turkey leg, a dole whip in Adventure land, a cupcake at HS, ice cream from Beaches and Cream, and Tonga Toast at the Poly.
-Ride on a Friendship Ferry. I think seeing the Boardwalk and Swan/Dolphin would be so cool this way!
-Overcome some “fears” of Roller Coasters
-Watch Wishes
-Ride the Monorail from MK to Epcot.
-Take a step back and take it all in!

So - as you see, we are beginning the journey of conversion to addict! It's a painful process, but it must be done. :ROFLOL: More to come...

I'm excited for you. I willl definitely keep reading. I was born in Sault Ste. Marie and some of my family still lives there. I spent most of my childhood in the SF Bay Area, but I graduated from High School in DeTour (and if you've ever heard of that, I'll be impressed). I live in the south now and am a proper (transplanted) southerner now!:)

Can't wait to read more!

jlevis

Hey, I'm a troll but have had great times in the UP!! After reading your post I'm excited for you. We're going to be there in September and it's our 30+ time.

I suggest you get a good Disney guide and start planning. EPCOT and the MK are the largest parks and neither can be seen in a single day. DHS and AK are smaller and can with effort. Get an understanding of the Fastpass system that can save a lot of line time. Checkout touringplans.com and their, well, touringplans. Also, if you have a smartphone their "Lines" or one of the other apps that give you a heads up on line wait times.

Disney World is one of my favorite places on earth but it can take a lot of effort and money especially if you go there without a bit of fore planning. Take good, broken-in walking shoes, water, rain gear, camera and your childlike enthusiasm.

durangojim

Have a great time! I used to go rock hunting with my dad in Copper and Eagle Harbors as a kid and have some very fond memories of grilling steak at Fort Wilkins. Need to take my own kids up there some fall.

stitch8834

Your enthusiasim is infectious. I'm going for my 3rd trip at the end of october and am getting really exicted and reading your post is making me even more exicted. The last trip I took I stayed at Movies and really enjoyed. Like you I'm not a resort person, so the value resort price is great but you still get the great disney atmosphere. This time I'm staying in Pop so will be able to see if it's really that different.

Look forward to reading more about your planning and your trip. Have a great time:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

catnrob

Original Poster
First Day at the Park....

Sunday, October 16th: Arrive in Orlando at 9:30am, check in and head straight for Magic Kingdom!!! (MK has a .4 Crowd prediction – per www.touringplans.com ) Grab lunch somewhere (counter service…suggestions welcomed) and then 5:15pm head to the Ferry to “set sail” for The Wilderness Lodge where we have a 6:15pm reservation at Artists Point for a special Birthday dinner. (any suggestions on specific good place to sit or anything we should know about this restaurant?) We hope to be done in enough time to see possibly the water parade from the dock and then perhaps back to MK to see Wishes. Then head back to ASMovies to unpack, take a dip perhaps and head to bed. Or maybe just drop our stuff down and collapse into bed! :snore:

Monday, October 17: It’s a full day at Epcot!!! We hope to be there for rope drop (lets be real – we WLL be there – it will be hard to sleep in knowing what awaits us). Epcot is predicted at a 1.9 crowd level, so hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for attractions. The first thing I want to do when we get to Epcot is to see Spaceship Earth. That attraction just blew me out of the water when I was there years ago. I remember the end of the ride, seeing the galaxy and just bursting into tears because I was so overwhelmed. It was a moment I’ll never forget. I am looking forward to going on it again! We can’t wait for Soarin’ and TT – and of course Mission Space. Although, I am unsure what version we’ll go on. Rob gets easily queasy in the backseat of the car let alone on a ride. I don’t get motion sickness but I’m afraid that I will since you hear so many warnings about the ride. We have a carnival ride up here called, “Gravitron” – it’s a spaceship shaped room and you stand up against the wall. The “ship” spins fast and gravity holds you against the wall and the walls slide up pinning you and hanging you. I’m fine in it, and I wonder if this is kinda like the sensation will be like on Mission Space. (thoughts?). For food we plan on using our snack credits to “Eat Around the World”. We think it’s going to be a great usage of our snack credits and we’ll get a great bang for our buck! The Eat to the Beat that night is SugarRay – bring it!!!! I’m looking forward to that one – hey, SugarRay is so big right now with his hosting gig on that Lyric show. It will be fun to listen to SugarRay while sipping a nice cold drink -perfection!!!!!

Day 3 coming tomorrow.......

catnrob

Original Poster
I'm excited for you. I willl definitely keep reading. I was born in Sault Ste. Marie and some of my family still lives there. I spent most of my childhood in the SF Bay Area, but I graduated from High School in DeTour (and if you've ever heard of that, I'll be impressed). I live in the south now and am a proper (transplanted) southerner now!:)

Can't wait to read more!

Yep - I sure do know where DeTour is... what a beautiful and QUIET part of the UP! haa Holy Wah (just some Yooper there.. I don't really talk like that. haa), you went from SF Bay area to DeTour? Talk about culture shock!!!!!

Hey, I'm a troll but have had great times in the UP!! After reading your post I'm excited for you. We're going to be there in September and it's our 30+ time.

I suggest you get a good Disney guide and start planning. EPCOT and the MK are the largest parks and neither can be seen in a single day. DHS and AK are smaller and can with effort. Get an understanding of the Fastpass system that can save a lot of line time. Checkout touringplans.com and their, well, touringplans. Also, if you have a smartphone their "Lines" or one of the other apps that give you a heads up on line wait times.

Disney World is one of my favorite places on earth but it can take a lot of effort and money especially if you go there without a bit of fore planning. Take good, broken-in walking shoes, water, rain gear, camera and your childlike enthusiasm.

Thank you for your tips... Yep, we have already subscribed and have the app. to touringplans. In fact I think my DH has read the UnOfficial Guide about 3 times already. haa We also listen to several weekly podcasts. I think we are as prepared as we can be... in regards to research. But, we have never really been there on our own - so we are VERY open to suggestions and tips. All you veterans are much wiser and know more than a book or website can teach. Thank you again - I appreciate your words!!!

Have a great time! I used to go rock hunting with my dad in Copper and Eagle Harbors as a kid and have some very fond memories of grilling steak at Fort Wilkins. Need to take my own kids up there some fall.

Awh - I love Copper/Eagle Harbors. That is actually where we went on our honeymoon. I am originally from the Calumet area north of Houghton but south of Copper Harbor. I would love to take a drive up that way this summer... our son would love it. Plus, I have a hunkering for a good Copper Country pastie!!!

Your enthusiasim is infectious. I'm going for my 3rd trip at the end of october and am getting really exicted and reading your post is making me even more exicted. The last trip I took I stayed at Movies and really enjoyed. Like you I'm not a resort person, so the value resort price is great but you still get the great disney atmosphere. This time I'm staying in Pop so will be able to see if it's really that different.

Look forward to reading more about your planning and your trip. Have a great time:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! I bet you'll love Pop - I always hear so many good things about it!!!

stargrl33

Good for you for making it an adult only trip. You'll have plenty of time to get to know the property if it's just the two of you. That way, it'll be even more fun to plan a family trip when your son is a little older once you know what to expect.

catnrob

Original Poster
Tuesday, October 18: Hollywood Studios batten down the hatches, cause here we come!!!

Again, according to TouringPlans, HS will be at a .8 crowd level. AWESOME! Again, when I was young I was not impressed by Hollywood Studios (MGM back then). But, I know that a lot has changed and I’m older so I’m looking forward to it! I’m really not interested in the Rockin Rollarcoaster and I’m a bit squeamish about Tower or Terror. :veryconfu But….. I really WANT to do Tower of Terror. I’ll just keep telling myself that it’s only a fall for a few seconds. haaa

However, if there is one thing at HS that I want to do very badly it would be (and I know it may sound silly – wait, you are all Disney fans so this probably won’t sound odd at all), I REALLY want to get our picture taken with Mater and Lightening McQueen. As I said previously, we have a 3yr old little boy and he loves CARS. A day doesn’t go by that he doesn’t play with his little cars – heck, we can’t even go for a walk without him telling Rob (DH) that he has to be ChickHicks, that I have to be Doc and that he’s going to be Lightening McQueen. haa

IMG_0513.jpg

He has even named our family cars; Lightening McQueen and Sally. For those of you with little boys this probably sounds familiar. So, because Jonah would LOVE it that mama and papa are with Mater and Lightening McQueen – I really want a picture with them.

We have no lunch plans (counter service – any suggestions?) However, we do have a reservation at Flying Fish later that evening. So, we’ll take the ferry to the Café and hopefully take in some of the Boardwalk entertainment (I hear there are some great acts) while waiting. After dinner we are planning on walking over to Epcot to possibly look around a bit, catch Illuminations and then enjoy some EMH till midnight!!!! Suggestions on a good place to catch Illuminations - romantic spot please. :)

I know you are on the edge of your seat :brick: , however, you'll have to wait a bit longer for the next day.

PolynesianPrincess

Loving this pre TR!! :sohappy: We have stayed at the All-Star Movies before and we enjoyed it :)

Counter service at the MK... I would recommend either Pecos Bill Cafe or Cosmic Rays. Both of those places have a toppings bar for burgers so that's a plus for our family (we always get burgers loaded with toppings!!)
DHS doesnt really have much selection for counter service. We always eat at 50s Prime Time Cafe (sit-down meal) Maybe Backlot Express? We've eaten there a few times and it was fine.

Cant wait to read more!!

Sarabell

I´m loving your report! I´m so glad you get to go back with tha man you love. that´s so romantic! I´m sure you´ll have a great time and will want to come back soon and bring your little boy with you.

Can´t wait for more!:wave:

kstella

Hello fellow Yooper! Yes, I currently live among the trolls, but I am originally from Bessemer. I'm so excited for your family. My boyfriend(also a Yooper among Trolls), my daughter(not a Yooper due to being born and raised in Wisconsin until recently) and I are going in November. My daughter and I have made the trip to The World 8 times but my boyfriend has only been once and didn't have a very good time due to bad planning. Next time will be with me so he will have a blast!

Anyway, for counter service at DHS, try the ABC Comissary-however I would REALLY recommend you try the Sci-Fi Drive In for the most fabulous burgers and shakes. I don't recommend the 50's Prime Time-I've only had two bad meals on property and that was one of them!

catnrob

Original Poster
Loving this pre TR!! :sohappy: We have stayed at the All-Star Movies before and we enjoyed it :)

Counter service at the MK... I would recommend either Pecos Bill Cafe or Cosmic Rays. Both of those places have a toppings bar for burgers so that's a plus for our family (we always get burgers loaded with toppings!!)
DHS doesnt really have much selection for counter service. We always eat at 50s Prime Time Cafe (sit-down meal) Maybe Backlot Express? We've eaten there a few times and it was fine.

Cant wait to read more!!

I'm excited to stay there! We are getting just a standard room - do you have any suggestions of good buildings/sections to request??
I'll have to look into the Backlot Express. If anything I guess we could always just enjoy cupcakes at the famous bakery there! haa haa

I´m loving your report! I´m so glad you get to go back with tha man you love. that´s so romantic! I´m sure you´ll have a great time and will want to come back soon and bring your little boy with you.

Can´t wait for more!:wave:

I'm so happy you are enjoying the trip report! We are excited for our trip, but already we find ourselves saying, "oh.. Jonah would LOVE 'xyz'". From the moment we get back, we'll have to start saving our pennies for our next trip!!

Hello fellow Yooper! Yes, I currently live among the trolls, but I am originally from Bessemer. I'm so excited for your family. My boyfriend(also a Yooper among Trolls), my daughter(not a Yooper due to being born and raised in Wisconsin until recently) and I are going in November. My daughter and I have made the trip to The World 8 times but my boyfriend has only been once and didn't have a very good time due to bad planning. Next time will be with me so he will have a blast!

Anyway, for counter service at DHS, try the ABC Comissary-however I would REALLY recommend you try the Sci-Fi Drive In for the most fabulous burgers and shakes. I don't recommend the 50's Prime Time-I've only had two bad meals on property and that was one of them!

Holy Wah eh? Haa!!! Yes, Bessemer - you're from the burbs! :lol: We were going make a ADR at the Sci-Fi, but we kept hearing a lot of bad comments about the food. Plus, we hear that if you have only two of you that you don't really get a "car". They put you at a picnic table. Has that been your experience?

catnrob

Original Poster
Wednesday, October 19: Lions and Tigers and Bats – OH MY! Bring on Animal Kingdom!!!

This is a BRAND NEW park for both of us as it was not around when I went to WDW years ago. I cannot WAIT to see it! Luckily, according to Touring Plans (all the shameless plugging, I know) the park is predicted to be at a 2.9 crowd level and has an early morning EMH. So, we’ll have to drag ourselves out of bed to head on over the Kingdom (I know – life is rough huh?) for 7:30am, that way we’re there for rope drop. Again, the question that looms over us is, “can we handle the rollercoaster?”. I really want to do Expedition Everest – although, I’m a bit nervous about it. However – it’s just a matter of minutes, so I hope to God I’m able to just SUCK IT UP and get in line!

We’ll be at the Animal Kingdom all day so we’ll be able to just relax a bit and enjoy all the sights, sounds and smells. If there is one “non-attraction” that I’m looking forward to the most… it would be “DeVine”. I have watched videos of her and I think she is amazing. I could just sit and watch her forever. So, I hope she is there that day and that we’re able to find her. Maybe what I’ll do is I’ll climb up in tree and scare the be-jeebers out of her! haa I’m sure it’s been tried. I think I’ll stick to just watching her – I would rather not be escorted out of the place. ha We have no plans for lunch, or breakfast for that matter. It would be counter service… suggestions???

We do have a 5:40pm ADR for Boma. So, we’ll try to grab a spot near the entrance to watch the afternoon parade and then head out for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We hope to look around a bit before dinner. Funny thing here is that my sister and her husband, who are from Wisconsin, are planning a trip to WDW for the same week we are going to be there. They were planning on that going that week before they even knew we were going. They will be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for part of their stay – so if they are going to be at the Lodge while on Wednesday – we may hang out a bit in their room before enjoying the tastes of Africa!!!

After Boma we’ll decide where to go from there. We can go back to the resort – or possibly, go out to Downtown Disney to shop the night away. Perhaps even enjoy a few cocktails and a few dances. I think the music at the Cuban place would be great – but I haven’t heard a lot of good things. Thoughts? Who knows how long we’ll stay – probably until our feet decide to scream OR until bed calls us!!! The next day is an early one and a very LONG day – bring on Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party!!!

gr8gonzo

My DH & I went on our first adults only trip last August for our 15th wedding anniversary. We had a great time and I'm betting you will too.

I'm a bit of a neurotic planner. [My dad was a Marine and my mom has OCD; not much of a surprise that I'd have at least one neurotic tendency.] I always try to think of as many (realistic) issues as possibile. Then I try to plan/prepare for them accordingly. And since we have several health issues to contend with in our family, I've gotten pretty good at it. Especially when it comes to travel. And as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I have loads of practical advice & tips for WDW... but these are the main pieces of advice I tell everyone.

1.) Call your health insurance a week (or two) before your trip to confirm what local hospitals and/or urgent care centers will accept your insurance if it becomes necessary.

2.) Type up a packing list to reduce the chances of forgetting things at home. And a re-packing list, that gets put into one of your suitcases, to make sure you don't forget anything when packing to come back.

3.) Make a 'travel details' document that contains all your confirmation numbers and important phone numbers you'll need for your trip. Then email yourself a copy of it to a web-based account (gmail, yahoo, etc) that can be accessed from any computer and/or smartphone with internet access.

If you like, I can email you examples of the documents mentioned. I'd be happy to answer questions you might have about them or anything else related to your trip. Either way, I hope the two of you have a wonderful trip. :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

kstella

Oh, yes! Must do EE!

Pizzafari or grab something at one of the carts for something to eat.

You could try walking on the Boardwalk after dinner-they have some cute stuff going on there at night. It would also be very romantic...

While at Animal Kingdom don't miss the Nemo play!

Robbi129

Just wanted to say Hi from a fellow yooper. We live in the Soo, but I did go to NMU (go wildcats). We went to Disney Sept 24-30 and flew out of Flint. Our layover in Atlanta was a nightmare, we only had a 30 min layover. We won't be doing that again. We made this an adults only trip (25th ann), touring without kids is a whole different ball game. Have fun with your trip report. I haven't been brave enough to attempt one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom