News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

Mander

In the Parks
No
Expect another reworking in the near-ish future.

Honestly, glad to hear it. Love the original iteration but we just saw the update last month and it was so disappointing. I regularly listen to the show's soundtrack while I'm working and it's absolutely beautiful. The update just feels poorly done and the Lion King music is super jarring if you're familiar with the original. I know it might not get better but I wouldn't wait to see ROL again in its current state.

Elfinko

We enjoyed the performers who entertained the crowd pre-show. They made a huge difference to the experience.

They were gone when we went in March 2019 :(

Yup, rip performers 😥 DSC02543.JPG

UNCgolf

Good to know that the new version is terrible so I can skip it in January. I really liked the original Rivers of Light -- it wasn't as good as Illuminations, but it was better than the Magic Kingdom fireworks (have still never seen Fantasmic, but plan to on this upcoming trip).

WDWTank

To be fair though, the creatives are coming under heavy pressure from above to make IP part of EVERYTHING they do. It is one of Bob Chapek's pillars - he wants Disney IP to be in everything they do. For now, the days of creating new and original for content for the parks is gone.
What an . Darth Chapek.

WDWTank

To be fair though, the creatives are coming under heavy pressure from above to make IP part of EVERYTHING they do. It is one of Bob Chapek's pillars - he wants Disney IP to be in everything they do. For now, the days of creating new and original for content for the parks is gone.

Prototype82

We saw this show for the first (and last) time last week. All I can say is "Wow, what an absolute waste of time. " I am shocked that this show was approved to be shown (although I have just seen that the show I saw isn't the original iteration). It made no sense, the music was mediocre at best, you couldn't see much on the water screens, there are stained glass animals that appear and disappear for no reason, the videos should be real animals and not animated characters, and I saw no indication of how it fulfilled the purpose of the "interaction between man, animals and water". I have never been so disappointed in a Disney show before.
That's a real shame, because the entire original iteration, the REAL Rivers of Light(the fact that the name is even pasted to it now is an insult to what we once had), was entirely about interaction between man and creatures...romantically enough, even animals that have passed on from this life into the sky...The score utilized Chinese instruments, a Tibetan singing bowl, and even taiko drums...but hey...at least the kids love the new one. What we once had was intricate, highly interpretive, and was a rare gem. Seeing those boats and floats used for something so awful now truly breaks my heart.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
That's a real shame, because the entire original iteration, the REAL Rivers of Light(the fact that the name is even pasted to it now is an insult to what we once had), was entirely about interaction between man and creatures...romantically enough, even animals that have passed on from this life into the sky...The score utilized Chinese instruments, a Tibetan singing bowl, and even taiko drums...but hey...at least the kids love the new one. What we once had was intricate, highly interpretive, and was a rare gem. Seeing those boats and floats used for something so awful now truly breaks my heart.
I don't think Walt was ever quoted saying "Good enough." It's a shame about RoL, especially after so much prior anticipation.

Touchdown

Hot take: I strongly disagree with the general opinion of this show, while I agree the transition between original score and Lion king is jarring and the clip show on the water hose screen that starts the show is terrible, the increased movement of the floats, the increased fountain use, and the increased use of the animal floats and boats more then make up for the issues below. This is a better show in my opinion. I also strongly suspect this is due to there not being actors on the boat (the boats get hit with water a lot in this show.)

I wish they would bring back the animals in the forest before and cut the clip show at the beginning of the show (maybe restore the aurora section) but honestly once the animal float procession begins I much prefer this version.

tirian

Judging from the kids sitting near me a few weeks ago, they’re bored too.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
This was my (then) 8-year-old's favorite show on property when we went over the summer.

She's a good kid, otherwise.

SuperStretccch

Sorry for the bump, but I need to vent. Jesus lord, what happened here? A show I once loved and appreciated as the nighttime centerpiece of AK became a painfully mediocre shell of its former self in just over 2 years! Must be some kind of record.
I feel like there are ways this new iteration could have worked, but from what I saw, nearly everything I loved about the original show was stripped away; no live actors, no cohesion, just a boring mishmosh of things happening. Actually, it was so disappointing that I walked out about halfway through to hit Everest again at night, a decision I felt was much more worth my time.

Thanks a lot, budget cuts.

wdwfan22

Sorry for the bump, but I need to vent. Jesus lord, what happened here? A show I once loved and appreciated as the nighttime centerpiece of AK became a painfully mediocre shell of its former self in just over 2 years! Must be some kind of record.
I feel like there are ways this new iteration could have worked, but from what I saw, nearly everything I loved about the original show was stripped away; no live actors, no cohesion, just a boring mishmosh of things happening. Actually, it was so disappointing that I walked out about halfway through to hit Everest again at night, a decision I felt was much more worth my time.

Thanks a lot, budget cuts.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I thought both versions of Rivers of Light were bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom