News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

trainplane3

...that transition into Bare Necessities actually made me laugh. I'll watch it a couple times tomorrow but the transitions the original and new are...interesting. I need to buy the original soundtrack on CD before they release the new one.

I need to do a comparison of the original and this one. From listening to the soundtrack a bazillion times, they tweaked vocals of the song at roughly the midpoint of the show.

TrainsOfDisney

Steve has had way more hits than misses in my book.

I’m waiting to see the new ROL in person, it sounds like a few issues may have been fixed if the finale actually feels like a finale. Ha.

TrainsOfDisney

The deer awakening is the best projection “show” Disney has ever produced in my opinion. I hope that stays in rotation with the new promotion.

Agreed. The deer, the fox, and the birds are beautiful shorts by themselves and when used in the surrounding of DAK with the illusions that projection mapping can perform on the tree of life... it’s something extremely special. All of the other projection shows just look like projection shows. These are really something special.

FigmentJedi

...that transition into Bare Necessities actually made me laugh. I'll watch it a couple times tomorrow but the transitions the original and new are...interesting. I need to buy the original soundtrack on CD before they release the new one.

I need to do a comparison of the original and this one. From listening to the soundtrack a bazillion times, they tweaked vocals of the song at roughly the midpoint of the show.
Almost wonder if they pulled it from some unused recording sessions for the original. Like those lyrics are from the original finale.

GlacierGlacier

Opinion time from that guy that loved the original more than any other show at WDW 🎉

I liked the ending. I loved the original's ending, but it definitely needed a bit more of a kick at the end. The inclusion of Lion King is Ok, with the strongest part being the African chant thing and circle of life (with the projection of three pride rocks?) being the worst part of that.

Throughout the show were new lighting and projection effects, though I didn't see much (or any) new choreography of the boats themselves. For the most part they looked good, with a special praiss on the rainbow bit. But there was some over use of the rear screen, drowning out (visually) what was happening on the lagoon.

The start of the show absolutey hurts me. A 1-2 minute block of just IP clips and music projecting on the rear screen alongside minimal (if any) lighting changes on the lotuses feels wasteful and pointless. Not to mention it destroys the momentum/pacing of the original that really, really does the beginning well with the drum beats and the dance of the spirit guides.

At least they had the smarts not to place too much IP right in the center of the show. The addition of Bear neccesities right after the cheeta hunt hurts me down inside. That doesn't work together, no matter how long you put low musical beats down between them.

TL;DR: It's equal to the old show, but I'd say marginally worse. The already odd pacing is stretched out even further, the rythm of story/show is marginally improved, and some neat lighting effect patterns have been added. The finale is neat. But that IP suppository at the beginning... Blegh.

I'm still going to watch it every night I'm at AK. I'm just going to have to treat myself to the classic show's soundtrack (which is mostly untouched, just not intact in the new show) on the drive home afterwards.

GlacierGlacier

...that transition into Bare Necessities actually made me laugh.
I agree. It's like they knew it was going to be awkward, so they tried adding in some music between, but it just made it worse. A song about kicking back does not go after a high-intensity cheers hunt.

From listening to the soundtrack a bazillion times, they tweaked vocals of the song at roughly the midpoint of the show.
Yup. Everything leading up to the line "Feel the rain" sung by the female lead is different. I even think it may be slightly different up until the chorus, but it's midnight here on the east coast and I'm too tired to remember properly.

trainplane3

Opinion time from that guy that loved the original more than any other show at WDW 🎉

I liked the ending. I loved the original's ending, but it definitely needed a bit more of a kick at the end. The inclusion of Lion King is Ok, with the strongest part being the African chant thing and circle of life (with the projection of three pride rocks?) being the worst part of that.

Throughout the show were new lighting and projection effects, though I didn't see much (or any) new choreography of the boats themselves. For the most part they looked good, with a special praiss on the rainbow bit. But there was some over use of the rear screen, drowning out (visually) what was happening on the lagoon.

The start of the show absolutey hurts me. A 1-2 minute block of just IP clips and music projecting on the rear screen alongside minimal (if any) lighting changes on the lotuses feels wasteful and pointless. Not to mention it destroys the momentum/pacing of the original that really, really does the beginning well with the drum beats and the dance of the spirit guides.

At least they had the smarts not to place too much IP right in the center of the show. The addition of Bear neccesities right after the cheeta hunt hurts me down inside. That doesn't work together, no matter how long you put low musical beats down between them.

TL;DR: It's equal to the old show, but I'd say marginally worse. The already odd pacing is stretched out even further, the rythm of story/show is marginally improved, and some neat lighting effect patterns have been added. The finale is neat. But that IP suppository at the beginning... Blegh.

I'm still going to watch it every night I'm at AK. I'm just going to have to treat myself to the classic show's soundtrack (which is mostly untouched, just not intact in the new show) on the drive home afterwards.
I'll agree the finale is a real finale now but everything else is bleh. I thought I bumped the keyboard and fast forwarded at the beginning by how off it is. That opening is rough.

1 step forward, 5 steps back.

General Mayhem

In short: Show still remains pretty good, A cover of The Circle of Life begins and ends the show with the original music throughout the show, projections are hybrid of Disney Nature and Disney Cartoon Animals but it's not anything too instrusive, they also upped the Fire effects and finale is Grander.

Um... I liked the original song better than hearing Circle of Life for the 1 millionth time...

Cmdr_Crimson

I am curious to know..While it is obvious that you get a better view of the show from the Anandapur theater....How is it over by Flame Tree BBQ? Or do they close the area off during the show?

RunningKoen

They can rename it to Disney's Animal LionKingdom. I don't mind all the Lion King clips and music though, it's my weak spot :)

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

I have to declare myself as someone who loved Rivers of Light but appreciated it had flaws and would welcome plussing.

However I’ve just watched the show online and it is an abomination. If people were worried about the story before I literally have no idea what on earth was meant to be going on now.
It's like they tried making the story more understandable by adding extra narration at the beginning and end, but then stuff IP in afterwards and called it a day.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Thank-you for saving me the time of typing the same exact thing!

GMTA

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom