News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

FigmentJedi

I've only seen it once (which tells you something), but does ROL have much of a discernible plot to begin with? It sort of struck me as NATURE! NATURE! NATURE! The End.
Nature Shamans and their Animal Spirit Guides turn a shadow puppet show turns into a Magical Mystery Tour through the world of nature before localizing Aurora Borealis (which is made of animal ghosts according to the Inuit legends that Disney turned into Brother Bear) entirely within the lagoon and allowing the animal spirits to take us into the realm of the constellations.

Problem is they arbitrarily decided the Shamans needed to be pantomime characters and when you're going this weird, an opening and closing narration isn't gonna cut it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Fantasmic! has been running for well over two decades, and the entire premise of the show is Disney IP stitched together into a loose meta-narrative. It's even featured in Disneyland and (gasp!) Tokyo DisneySea, the Holy Lands of Disney Parks Fanboiidom.

"IP bad" is just as misguided as "must have IP."
There’s a time and a place. And the handling of the execution. Recently the track record has been less than stellar.

Let’s see what this is like.

CaptainAmerica

Messing with the soundtrack already looses a point though. IMHO.
I'm not a big fan of the soundtrack to begin with. It feels like they're trying to hard to be profound.

1. Reflections of Earth
2. SpectroMagic
3. Fantasmic
4. Main Street Electrical Parade
5. Tapestry of Nations
50. Rivers of Light
9,847,389. Mickey's Mix Magic

dreamscometrue

If I've only learned one thing in all my years of visiting WDW and checking out new or changed attractions, that's to wait to experience them before judging. There have been things I thought I'd love, but didn't, and vice versa. I very much enjoy R.o.L. and I'll wait to see what these changes bring.

FigmentJedi

I mean... that album has two Oscars, two Golden Globes, and two Grammys.
Fantastic soundtrack no doubt. But when you keep relying on it over and over and over and over and over again in your shows and entertainment the luster wears off quickly.
Like how every nighttime show under Steve Davison is legally required to include Friend Like Me.

jrhwdw

Messing with the soundtrack already looses a point though. IMHO.

Damn you Chapek. You just don’t get it.
Is Chapek doing EF? If his is, he might understand Epcot?

I get that IP doesn't belong in WSL(except for Dreamfinder's and Mickey's Daytime shows in 80's/90's. I liked those)but, DAK's IP topic is weird. DAK is like 50 IP-50 non IP. The greatest IP and non IP Attractions are in the same land: FOLK and Safaris.

So what way do you go with IP?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom