News ‘Rivers of Light: We Are One’ coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom summer 2019

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
The thing that gets me is the laziness in imagineering to flood the shows with IP as a crutch to tell the story. MK got it with HEA, Epcot is getting it with the 2020 show, and now DAK is getting it.

More screens with IP everywhere, less imagination and story telling.

Kman101

This is not the way to fix this show. Not at all.

Exactly. But already I'm seeing folks on Twitter magically "want to see the show again" now. Like ... adding IP doesn't "fix" the show. Coming up with a better show, makes it a better show ... it's really bizarre how if you slap in a montage of Simba and Baloo it suddenly makes it all better? No ... but hey, thanks everyone who whined about Rivers of Light. Here we are now ...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The thing that gets me is the laziness in imagineering to flood the shows with IP as a crutch to tell the story. MK got it with HEA, Epcot is getting it with the 2020 show, and now DAK is getting it.

To be fair though, the creatives are coming under heavy pressure from above to make IP part of EVERYTHING they do. It is one of Bob Chapek's pillars - he wants Disney IP to be in everything they do. For now, the days of creating new and original for content for the parks is gone.

Kman101

The thing that gets me is the laziness in imagineering to flood the shows with IP as a crutch to tell the story. MK got it with HEA, Epcot is getting it with 2020 show, and now DAK is getting it.

It is laziness. But when they come up with non-IP, everyone bashes it (but at the same time, Rivers of Light needed work, but IP doesn't "fix" this ... but yet, so many will think it will and suddenly now they will love the show; it's bizarre).

I like HEA and I do think it tells a story, but we don't need to get into that debate. IP makes sense there and I think HEA is a really well done show :)

But Epcot and AK could be more than that. They should be more than that. I saw this coming for a long time now, but it's still disappointing.

Kman101

To be fair though, the creatives are coming under heavy pressure from above to make IP part of EVERYTHING they do. It is one of Bob Chapek's pillars - he wants Disney IP to be in everything they do. For now, the days of creating new and original for content for the parks is gone.

I imagine IP is the only way to get things greenlit .... but he's misguided. Though because of how many Disney stans act, he's only being encouraged to push this more. Immediately someone on Twitter stated that they never had a desire to see the show again but now they do. Like ... Simba's mom licking him against DisneyNature footage doesn't suddenly make the show any better ... how on earth did Awesome Planet slip by? Is there a secret character narration we don't know about? LOL

Isn't "DisneyNature" IP enough?

monothingie

Premium Member

Oh absolutely, and it's the reason why these shows have such little lasting power and constantly need to be retooled so frequently. When your target demo is a 5 year old, the attention span tends to wander quickly.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I imagine IP is the only way to get things greenlit .... but he's misguided. Though because of how many Disney stans act, he's only being encouraged to push this more. Immediately someone on Twitter stated that they never had a desire to see the show again but now they do. Like ... Simba's mom licking him against DisneyNature footage doesn't suddenly make the show any better ... how on earth did Awesome Planet slip by? Is there a secret character narration we don't know about? LOL

Isn't "DisneyNature" IP enough?

I don't mind the inclusion of Disney Nature if it can be done properly. I imagine there is a very limited budget to do anything to adjust the show after such a huge investment to put the show together in the first place with blah results.

monothingie

Premium Member
I don't mind the inclusion of Disney Nature if it can be done properly. I imagine there is a very limited budget to do anything to adjust the show after such a huge investment to put the show together in the first place with blah results.

Perhaps the saddest part about this, is when the show was announced there were such high hopes for it. But then things fell apart so quickly and now we have this.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Oh absolutely, and it's the reason why these shows have such little lasting power and constantly need to be retooled so frequently. When your target demo is a 5 year old, the attention span tends to wander quickly.
Fantasmic! has been running for well over two decades, and the entire premise of the show is Disney IP stitched together into a loose meta-narrative. It's even featured in Disneyland and (gasp!) Tokyo DisneySea, the Holy Lands of Disney Parks Fanboiidom.

"IP bad" is just as misguided as "must have IP."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom