‘Moana’ Follow-Up Movie Set To Feature Disney’s First Latina Princess Reportedly In The Works

champdisney

Moana was a beautiful film visually, I just thought the story needed work. Let's not forget to mention the absence of a villain, just a slightly awkward yet beautiful Disney film. How would Disney benefit from creating a sequel to a film that was and will likely never be bigger than Frozen? What, will Moana and her clan of wailers venture off to some latin foreign land or vise-versa? I don't know...

Oh! And I almost forgot to mention... Lin Manuel again? I'm not a fan of his at all.

PS: There were absolutely no Puerto Ricans living in London during Mary Poppins' time.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Moana was a beautiful film visually, I just thought the story needed work. Let's not forget to mention the absence of a villain, just a slightly awkward yet beautiful Disney film. How would Disney benefit from creating a sequel to a film that was and will likely never be bigger than Frozen? What, will Moana and her clan of wailers venture off to some latin foreign land or vise-versa? I don't know...

Oh! And I almost forgot to mention... Lin Manuel again? I'm not a fan of his at all.

PS: There were absolutely no Puerto Ricans living in London during Mary Poppins' time.
Lot to unpack here.

champdisney

He's not Puerto Rican in the context of the movie. Just another cockney chimney sweep lamp lighter.
Maybe it’s just me since I’m hispanic and I live in a mostly latino dominated city, I look at him in the movie and think he’s gonna bust out with “Hay papa! Whatcha doin’ with Maria?!” to one of the young characters.

Oh well... it is the PC era in Disney films nowadays.

champdisney

It's been 22 years since the 1997 TV adaption of Cinderella with its colour blind casting. This is not anything new or recent for the company.
I'm just not a fan of the cultural and historic inaccuracies. I've seen it in all the current live action remakes, Cinderella with Brandy... yeah cute made for television movie but who even remembers that?

As for color blind casting... remind me why the Lion King remake has a strong African American cast? They're animals. It shouldn't matter who does these characters voices, however, "Bob Iger's Disney" wants to push hard with being PC even for something as ridiculous as voicing CGI animals. Of course this is done in order to stay relevant and trendy. At the end of the day, money is what makes that man's head spin.

The Empress Lilly

Maybe it’s just me since I’m hispanic and I live in a mostly latino dominated city, I look at him in the movie and think he’s gonna bust out with “Hay papa! Whatcha doin’ with Maria?!” to one of the young characters.

Oh well... it is the PC era in Disney films nowadays.
It's Europeans being erased from their history, so that's okay.

Nobody will agree with you until in a Moana II the people building the Easter Island heads are presented as white European explorers. Then watch what happens...

aliceismad

Bad clickbait title. The text of the article says it's a 'follow-up' with including Lin since he was involved in Moana.

It is *not* a sequel.

Other news outlets do not call it a sequel.
I did read one story where his father was quoted as saying it's a sequel, so that's a giant grain of salt. :) Regardless, happy to see Lin-Manuel in talks for another Disney flick.

Last edited:

LSLS

So I was all sorts of confused. Didn't we hear about the first Latina princess coming to Disney a while ago in Elena? Then you read the article, and it states first Latina FILM princess, and then talks about Elena. Weird title to that article.

champdisney

So I was all sorts of confused. Didn't we hear about the first Latina princess coming to Disney a while ago in Elena? Then you read the article, and it states first Latina FILM princess, and then talks about Elena. Weird title to that article.
Yep. Magic Kingdom even had a royal coronation for her because she is (or was?) the first Latina Disney Princess, all branded by Disney themselves.

Honestly, it would’ve made way more sense if Disney didn’t over publicize Elena being the first Latin Princess. She is a Disney Junior product, DJ shows come and go like a drop of a dime. Look at Sofia the First... first whatever she was... hmm... oh! I know! Sofia the First Disney Crossover Princess! Phew!

All jokes aside, what’s really funny is how Disney will announce things such as Elena being the first Latina Disney Princess, fool the majority of us into believing it’s a big deal when it’s not. The reality is, all they wanna do is sell Elena dolls.

A very few short years later and we’re still looking at our first Latina Disney Princess. Really though, who cares? Wait, Bob Iger does. Insulting our intelligence and getting rich from it all at the same time! A true tragedy. :cry:

LSLS

It is a big deal for young Latinas and Latinos seeing stories and characters that represent them. Regardless of the medium (books, tv, movies, video games, etc.).

(ETA: I agree that the headline of that article is inaccurate/misleading.)

That's really my point (your ETA). I have 0 problem having Latina princesses, 0 problem having one in a major movie, and I don't care if there are multiple Latina princesses. I just can't figure out why it would say it was the first in the headline, then correct it later in the article.

champdisney

It is a big deal for young Latinas and Latinos seeing stories and characters that represent them. Regardless of the medium (books, tv, movies, video games, etc.).

(ETA: I agree that the headline of that article is inaccurate/misleading.)
It’s the label of being the “first of its kind”... that shouldn’t really matter. There will always be traits in a character that a young male or female will find regardless of race, color, or species for that matter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom