‘Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire’ Experience coming to Disney Springs

Matt7187

It's a shame this idea couldn't have been used for Disney Quest. What with the rise of VR and Escape Rooms, DQ could have easily been updated for modern times, and would have had far more repeatability for locals than it did in its final form. Le sigh.
Very true. I only went to DQ once after its closure was announced since my family always thought it was a waste of time, and I liked it for what it was, even with how outdated it was. I wish they could have preserved it in some fashion.

I am Timmy

This sounds amazing! Depending on the price, I could easily see my fam doing this once every trip, twice if it rocks my world. I'm not saying it replaces DisneyQuest, we spent a few hours there every trip, but it's nice to have something to do in DS along those lines. Maybe if it's popular, it will get bigger and more awesome....

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
As long as it is actually a permanent thing, it may just be around to promote the new movie or it could stay until SW:GE opens or it could last 6 weeks and be done.

kadybat

The concept art for this, that "encounter the Empire on Mustafar" setting, looks remarkably similar to the Star Wars VR demo ILMxLAB gave at Apple's recent Worldwide Developers Conference. Apple pitched it as a demonstration of how ILM develops VR experiences on the Mac using Unreal Engine, and it's really just a demo of their creation sandbox, but I'm almost certain the experience being shown off and developed in this demo is what we'll see at Secrets of the Empire.

Idoonu

I've never been a fan of theme parks trying video/vr game type stuff, mostly because they don't spend the necessary amount to make a real game so you end up with graphics that look like they are 10 years out of date (see all of the six flags VR rides). We'll see with this, the darth vader tech demo certainly looks cool but they're going to need some serious R&D to make an immersive game.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That makes sense. Test bed for SWL and new SW hotel and other applications possibly even something permanent at the other parks.
It is all third party operated, so nothing to do with WDI or any of their upcoming stuff, unless they choose to involve this third party in that.

Mabel Pines

Don't expect it to be permanent. As far as I know it is a pop-up.
Thank goodness; before I saw the photos I was expecting a themed, futuristic interior and was surprised when they actually just cleared out everything from the previous giftshop. I also thought it was really uneccessary for it to have its own store in Disney Springs when SWGE is coming, but now I think it makes sense that they want something to hold people over until it's open.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thank goodness; before I saw the photos I was expecting a themed, futuristic interior and was surprised when they actually just cleared out everything from the previous giftshop. I also thought it was really uneccessary for it to have its own store in Disney Springs when SWGE is coming, but now I think it makes sense that they want something to hold people over until it's open.
I really think its just a combination of a third party having this new product, and seeing Disney Springs as one of the best places to market it. They know they have a highly targeted audience and plenty of foot-fall.

tribbleorlfl

It's a shame this idea couldn't have been used for Disney Quest. What with the rise of VR and Escape Rooms, DQ could have easily been updated for modern times, and would have had far more repeatability for locals than it did in its final form. Le sigh.
Wow, that really would have been a great idea for a DQ 2.0 and a much better alternative to this NBA venture. NBA City failed at Citywalk, as did the ESPN Zones, so I have no idea what they're thinking.

Next Big Thing

Wow, that really would have been a great idea for a DQ 2.0 and a much better alternative to this NBA venture. NBA City failed at Citywalk, as did the ESPN Zones, so I have no idea what they're thinking.
NBA City didn't fail, they simply were told to leave as Universal wanted to open their own restaurant concept out of that space.

tribbleorlfl

NBA City didn't fail, they simply were told to leave as Universal wanted to open their own restaurant concept out of that space.
So, a major world-wide sports league's flagship restaurant being dumped in favor of a non-ip steampunk chocolate restaurant isn't a failure to you? Toothsome is doing more business than NBA City ever did, even during the playoffs and the rare player appearance; it was common to see more people outside shooting hoops than dining inside.

NBA City is not what is coming to Disney Springs.
I'm aware the "NBA Experience" isn't going to be NBA City, as it will be 3x the space with an interactive experience. That is why I mentioned ESPN Zone, which sounds much closer to what this will be. And which closed all but 1 location.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, September 1. Window signage for virtual reality experience coming to Disney Springs: The Void.

IMG_0025.JPG

Front door signs say: "Step Beyond Reality."

IMG_0026.JPG

WhatJaneSays

I don't have any secondary conformation, but a reliable source said that the projected opening window should be between the first week of November and the weekend before Thanksgiving. There was no set date as of yet, but he mentioned that there was some fairly moderate push to try to have it open "as soon as possible" but he said that he has no experience with VR or how the setup process goes (I don't either). So ... he had no idea if that means they want to try to shave 2 weeks or 2 days off the schedule.

For now I'd mark it down for mid November to be safe.

Magic Feather

I don't have any secondary conformation, but a reliable source said that the projected opening window should be between the first week of November and the weekend before Thanksgiving. There was no set date as of yet, but he mentioned that there was some fairly moderate push to try to have it open "as soon as possible" but he said that he has no experience with VR or how the setup process goes (I don't either). So ... he had no idea if that means they want to try to shave 2 weeks or 2 days off the schedule.

For now I'd mark it down for mid November to be safe.
That is generally what I heard. This is wanting to be branded and marketed for the holidays, and should start when Springs officially starts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom