New Concept Art of Harry Potter Dark Ride

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Screamscape posted a link to new concept art of the Harry Potter Dark Ride.

However, as of right now the link isn't working. They probably took it down already, but just in case it comes back up:

http://americanscenic.com/pages/POTTER.html

But I saw it. It showed the layout and sketches of some of the scenes.

The seats are all in a single row (possible meaning that it is using a Kuka Robot Arm).

There were also sketches of what appeared to be the a giant snake (the Basilisk) in the Chamber of Secrets. Also, in one other scene, it looked like you passed by a giant spider (Aragog?) and went into the Dark Forest.

If I'm accurate about this, plus taking into consideration the rumors of a Flying Car Ride, I would say the Dark Ride is definately based off of the second book/film, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (as opposed to a vignette of different Harry Potter scenes or an entirely new story). :)

krankenstein

If I'm accurate about this, plus taking into consideration the rumors of a Flying Car Ride, I would say the Dark Ride is definately based off of the second book/film, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (as opposed to a vignette of Harry Potter scenes or an entirely new story). :)

I would say you are right on it being based off the second book considering what you said the concept art is of. I wish I could have saw the concept art before the site went down. Thanks for posting the details you saw, it is greatly appreciated.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Screamscape posted more info they've heard about the ride (it mentions it being based on the Chamber of Secrets like I said earlier):

Late 2009 - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - (5/12/08) It seems the Universal legal team was quick to jump on the American Scenic website about removing their Harry Potter graphics. In only a matter of hours their Harry Potter page was pulled entirely. Fortunately, someone managed to save a copy of it and has reposted the artwork once again to Imageshack. I’m not sure how long this link will last, so see it while you still can.
According to one reader, based on the scenes shown in the artwork, the ride itself may be based on the Chamber of Secrets storyline, which included an encounter with giant spiders, a Wizard Chess scene and culminates with an encounter with the Basilisk, a serpent looking creature.
I’ve also heard a little more dirt about the ride system itself. For starters, we know about all we really need to know about the Kuka robot arms that will be providing the brute strength for the ride system. Riders will be seated in a long “bench” of seats, rumored to hold six at a time, and mounted to the business end of a KR 1000 Titan model Kuka arm. The Titan arm is rated to toss around payloads of 1,000 kg (2,200 pounds or 1.1 Tons!) with great ease. Then the Kuka arms will be mounted to one of twelve mobile base units that will scoot around a track system that is said to look fairly similar to the track system used on The Adventure’s of Spider-Man. Ironically enough, you can see a great picture of Spider-Man’s track system posted to American Scenic.
In other Harry Potter news, one of our readers has mentioned a few things that apparently author JK Rowling has mentioned in interviews about the Universal project. In addition to mentioning that there would also be a ride for young children to enjoy in the area, she also mentioned that there would be two state of the art rides in the land, one of which being the new ride system based on the Kuka robot arm. She did give a rough name for one attraction though… something along the lines of Hogwart’s Introduction To Magic that would be some kind of demonstration showing off the effects of various different magic spells

Here's the link to the concept art they mentioned:

http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=potterxii5.gif

Jellyfish

The post above: i think they've taken the pic down coz its just a square with a red box now :(

Are these the rides they're thinking of putting in the ''Harry Potter World'' then?

They actually sound quite good :lol:

darthjohnny

Original Poster
It's being said that the cast of the Harry Potter films are currently shooting a short film, apparently written by J.K. Rowling, to be used in the attractions.

deWild

I don't think the attraction could be based solely on The Chamber of Secrets.
If you take a look at the bottom picture just before the writing, you'll notice a chessboard.
It looks like the attraction is a collaboration of the books, which is better than basing one giant ride on just one book.

teebin

I don't think the attraction could be based solely on The Chamber of Secrets.
If you take a look at the bottom picture just before the writing, you'll notice a chessboard.
It looks like the attraction is a collaboration of the books, which is better than basing one giant ride on just one book.

yessuh, I hadn't even noticed the chessboard. I was too busy being annoyed I couldn't zoom in closer on the blueprints. This is going to be over the top if it ends up being over the top. (i know that is an oxymoron)

An attraction better than spiderman? Can you imagine? We can only hope that Uni will be Uni and crash the barrier once again. While not the top theme park, they have some of the best knuckle punching attractions ever created.

Pete C

An attraction better than spiderman? Can you imagine?

No, I can't. To me there still isn't anything that touches the masterpiece that is Spiderman, and I am still stunned every time I ride it. I don't think Disney has anything even on the drawing board that will touch it, so it's up to Universal to top themselves. That arm allows for so much movement, they will be able to thrust you forward into the screen or scenes, face you down, up, over backwards...the possibilities, wow. I wonder if they will put you upside down though, because if the ride uses 3D people would lose their glasses.

icandrawem2

Has it been verified that this ride will use 3D? The cool thing about KUKA is the ability to change the ride movements relatively easily. They should be able to tweak things here and there for a more intense experience. Im in agreement that nothing will top Spiderman, but I honestly hope that they will with Potter...or maybe Transformers, but thats a few years out at least.

Jasonflz

I hope it's not in 3d. Spiderman is cool but the 3d is not really that special. A simple dark ride would do just fine. What is the robotic arm like? Is it similar to Peter Pan's Flight at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom