What is Disney doing to its customer life cycle?

123mart123

Original Poster
WDW is targeting the "once and done", high disposable income demographic while maximizing net margin through commoditization of offerings with digitization of the experience. The digitization of experience creates an illusion of a customized individual experience.

they are clearly targeting wealthier folks. I think it’s akin to businesses retreating to the high margin sectors of a product family. It’s more profitable, but the competitive low margin business is often the entry point for customers…and where the high margin customers also often come from (as they grow and upgrade).

Last edited:

123mart123

Original Poster
all I can say is that I've been on this forum for 9 or 10 years. we've been saying that for 9-10 years.
Perhaps. While this is purely anecdotal, I’ve seen all of the friends we knew as “die-hard, Disney brand advocates” turning away. A few are skipping some years most aren’t going back at all.

It’s not the IP in the parks.

And it’s taken between 10 and 15 years for the ”enough is enough”.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perhaps. While this is purely anecdotal, I’ve seen all of the friends we knew as “die-hard, Disney brand advocates” turning away. A few are skipping some years most aren’t going back at all.

We are 13 years out from a stock market recession…which hasn’t happened in 50 years and counting…

that’s why Disney has been able to fool Liz…

“it’s the economy, Stupid!!”

Last edited:

rreading

So many things here…

I wonder how many freebies have been reduced due to the internet: the websites showing all the “insider” tricks to game the system overwhelm the system.

I definitely agree that the price of the Deluxes is absurd. Yet that’s where I wanted to stay so I paid $4k 12 years ago for a small chunk of DVC on resale. To me, the resort has always been key to our stays. I would still probably enjoy Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach, but I would go less often/pay more instead of going to a value (but that’s me)

Universal is still small potatoes compared with Disney unless you’re an adrenaline junky. (I recognize there are those who prefer Uni, and that’s great! There are also those who never want to visit Disney). The atmosphere of WDW apart from current Epcot cannot be beat.

For all the fussing about Lightning Lane: have you not been to Universal or Busch Gardens or even Six Flags? They ALL charge SO much more for the premium lines. I’ve loved that Disney had FP but they’ve been so far behind the times on monetizing it.

I definitely look forward to having international cast members in Epcot and places like AKL. They definitely enhance the experience but we can’t yet blame Chapek (yet) that they’re gone

I’ll definitely miss Magical Express. But some of the things like buying 10d park hoppers with no expiration so we can use them some days here and some there were gaming the system. Cheap Annual Passes? Bad for the guests who don’t go 30+ times a year.

Some of these changes have been necessary. Some are unfortunate. But as much as I am no longer thrilled with POTC, I still enjoy walking down Main Street and riding the boat back to Wilderness Lodge. 1-2 days a year. Walking under SSE 1-2X/year. Riding the Safari once per year.

Sure, you can burn out…but that’s not necessarily Disney’s fault (but POTC at WDW is on them though 😡)

eliza61nyc

We are 13 years out from a stock market recession…which hasn’t happened in 50 years and counting…

lol, it hasn't fooled me at all Sir. I'm the gal that is constantly reminding people that Disney is not their favorite uncle. I'm the one that constantly reminds folks that Walt is dead and that the company is just that, a company, I'm the one constantly reminding folks that this is not 1980.

How did the parks do after the housing market? (honest question, I didn't pay attention) Was there a precipitous drop in attendance?
Do you think the economy is going to free fall enough to make a significant hit on the parks to where the current leadership will make any changes? Personally I think if it did than than most folks are going to have way bigger issues than wdw and won't have time to be here

You seem to think that when we have a correction in the stock market that all of a sudden Disney is going to face some big comeuppance. LOL good luck with that. like any other "vice" folks are going to find a way to get their "fix". IMO when the market corrects itself at most the parks will lose a year.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

which is pretty normal. so the question becomes how many of those saying "enough is enough" are going to be replaced? Do folks really think that because we stop going all of a sudden the parks are going to tank?? 😁 😁
On top of that and this is also anecdotal, I wonder the spending pattern of those who go often vs. those who go once or twice. I remember my first few trips, we spent way more mainly because we were high on pixie dust. We brought the mickey ears, we did the character breakfast's, brought the tee shirts. Now?? totally different.

SteveAZee

Perhaps a little ironically, if there's a recession then the only people likely to have, and spend, excess cash on a vacation to Disney are the people they're already courting... upper middle class folk with a lot of money. The people that won't go are those who will be struggling financially... those who scrimp and save for a vacation (and/or are already tapping out their cards/LOC), i.e. the ones Disney is already pricing out of coming in the first place.

Goofyernmost

Perhaps a little ironically, if there's a recession then the only people likely to have, and spend, excess cash on a vacation to Disney are the people they're already courting... upper middle class folk with a lot of money. The people that won't go are those who will be struggling financially... those who scrimp and save for a vacation (and/or are already tapping out their cards/LOC), i.e. the ones Disney is already pricing out of coming in the first place.
I know that those with little cash are low hanging fruit, but my experience of people with money is that they lose interest fast. They can afford to do anything, they do not need a 5 foot mouse when they whole world is open to them. Most of us at this point are Covid prevented from other parts of the world and frankly there aren't to many states that are worth anything except the wish to drive through quickly, so how long will Disney be in fashion before something new becomes the thing to do if you want to show your affluence?

SteveAZee

I know that those with little cash are low hanging fruit, but my experience of people with money is that they lose interest fast. They can afford to do anything, they do not need a 5 foot mouse when they whole world is open to them. Most of us at this point are Covid prevented from other parts of the world and frankly there aren't to many states that are worth anything except the wish to drive through quickly, so how long will Disney be in fashion before something new becomes the thing to do if you want to show your affluence?
I would offer the possibility that income/wealth doesn't stratify people into levels of interest in Disney, or other things for that matter. Further, I'd suggest that affluent people are less in need of showing their affluence than perhaps those on the cusp of it wanting to show neighbors/friends/the interwebs that they're well off enough to afford Disney. You might find the book "The Millionaire Next Door" interesting.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
lol, it hasn't fooled me at all Sir. I'm the gal that is constantly reminding people that Disney is not their favorite uncle. I'm the one that constantly reminds folks that Walt is dead and that the company is just that, a company, I'm the one constantly reminding folks that this is not 1980.

How did the parks do after the housing market? (honest question, I didn't pay attention) Was there a precipitous drop in attendance?
Do you think the economy is going to free fall enough to make a significant hit on the parks to where the current leadership will make any changes? Personally I think if it did than than most folks are going to have way bigger issues than wdw and won't have time to be here

You seem to think that when we have a correction in the stock market that all of a sudden Disney is going to face some big comeuppance. LOL good luck with that. like any other "vice" folks are going to find a way to get their "fix". IMO when the market corrects itself at most the parks will lose a year.

Anecdotally, our 2008/2009 trips passed by lots of hotels down I-4 from the turnpike to Disney Springs that were up for sale and the park crowds were much lower. Lack of disposable income has a chilling effect on industries that live off of disposable income.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
which is pretty normal. so the question becomes how many of those saying "enough is enough" are going to be replaced? Do folks really think that because we stop going all of a sudden the parks are going to tank?? 😁 😁
On top of that and this is also anecdotal, I wonder the spending pattern of those who go often vs. those who go once or twice. I remember my first few trips, we spent way more mainly because we were high on pixie dust. We brought the mickey ears, we did the character breakfast's, brought the tee shirts. Now?? totally different.

:) Folks tend to internalize Macroeconomics, but fail to look at the other side of the replacement goods argument where there are replacement customers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

“Fool” is relative in this case.

what causes significant attendance downturn - and better consumers - are recessions

they are also needed reset points for Disney parks.

we haven’t had one since 08-10…it skews the math on what they’re doing right or wrong

eliza61nyc

“Fool” is relative in this case.

what causes significant attendance downturn - and better consumers - are recessions

they are also needed reset points for Disney parks.

we haven’t had one since 08-10…it skews the math on what they’re doing right or wrong
True, so what happened to Disney during the 08 recession? Lol, I know that past performance is no indication of future but it is interesting to look at.
How did the parks weather the last recession??

So after a really quick (I got sidetracked by an ad for uggs on sale 😄) Google search, 2009 parks took a 19% hit on profit and an overall 9% hit on revenue (from NYT) They laid off 1900 folks. 2010 things were on the plus side. I don’t see a market correction being as bad as 2008.
Not betting on any significant change in the near future Sir.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
True, so what happened to Disney during the 08 recession? Lol, I know that past performance is no indication of future but it is interesting to look at.
WDW cut ~ 1,400 positions in 2009 due to park attendance and ad revenue decreasing for ABC and ESPN.

eliza61nyc

WDW cut ~ 1,400 positions in 2009 due to park attendance and ad revenue decreasing for ABC and ESPN.
We must have been typing at the same time but kinda the reason why I don't think any thing significant is going to happen when the next recession roles around.
I just think this hope that the next recession is going to cause some massive emptying of the parks, management to get fired and a return to the old value is an exercise in futility.
At most we may get a 30% discount on room rates.

I have been wrong many many times so who knows.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

So after a really quick (I got sidetracked by an ad for uggs on sale 😄) Google search, 2009 parks took a 19% hit on profit and an overall 9% hit on revenue (from NYT) They laid off 1900 folks. 2010 things were on the plus side. I don’t see a market correction being as bad as 2008.
Not betting on any significant change in the near future Sir.
In Bobs greatest move…they increased prices and provided steep - but temporary - discounts to lure people…

all the Hotels, dining, DVC regular prices went wayyyyy up…

so when things reset and the Discounts ended…the baseline didn’t take a hit.

it was perhaps his most genius business move outside of marvel

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We must have been typing at the same time but kinda the reason why I don't think any thing significant is going to happen when the next recession roles around.
I just think this hope that the next recession is going to cause some massive emptying of the parks, management to get fired and a return to the old value is an exercise in futility.
At most we may get a 30% discount on room rates.

I have been wrong many many times so who knows.
…but admittedly…you’re not really a student of Disney history prior to this drunken, Bezos driven stock market largesse period…correct?

eliza61nyc

…but admittedly…you’re not really a student of Disney history prior to this drunken, Bezos driven stock market largesse period…correct?
100% Correct, I try to admit that every so often. I'm definitely the new kid on the block AND I follow along sparingly. To make matters worse (or better depending how you look at it) I didn't go to the parks during these so called magical years

That’s why I was curious what happened during the last recession. I think how Disney fairs with the market reset will depend on a number of things that are a bit different than the one in 08. So maybe I should alter my swamie turban a bit and sat for the next 2 years I don't see much changing.

Now my question again, do you think that a market correction is really going to cause a huge change in how the parks are run??

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom