Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DisneyDodo

Perhaps they know the BG system isn’t so popular and they don’t want to force guests to use it for 2 rides?

Or it could just be that with the anticipated attendance increase for the 50th, they need the RotR queue to hold a few thousand guests to alleviate the crowds.

doctornick

I don't think there is much difference with VQ vs standby when it comes to LL.

Disagree. If you are flexible, it's not a big deal to try to get a Boarding Group every morning and you'll probably eventually get one. There's little downside to trying.

If the Standby queue is perpetually very long, some folks just won't have the tolerance for a 3 hour wait and will immediately go to paying. I also think there's a big psychological factor of seeing those massive wait times on the app/ride board versus it just being a return time for a free virtual pass for BGs.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Perhaps they know the BG system isn’t so popular and they don’t want to force guests to use it for 2 rides?

Or it could just be that with the anticipated attendance increase for the 50th, they need the RotR queue to hold a few thousand guests to alleviate the crowds.
They are using BGs at 2 attractions at DL currently.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disagree. If you are flexible, it's not a big deal to try to get a Boarding Group every morning and you'll probably eventually get one. There's little downside to trying.

If the Standby queue is perpetually very long, some folks just won't have the tolerance for a 3 hour wait and will immediately go to paying. I also think there's a big psychological factor of seeing those massive wait times on the app/ride board versus it just being a return time for a free virtual pass for BGs.
Meh. I don't buy it. If you're there for a 5 day trip and you don't get a BG on your DHS day, you may be even more likely to pay than if you see a 3 hour wait.

Most normals don't know the strategies for getting a BG.

CntrlFlPete

Are they really going to throw the switch on this thing for all four parks at the same time? Can't/shouldn't they try this with one park first? Not sure which park is least attended at the moment, but try that one first.

They have mentioned that the Genie+ is valid at multiple parks on the day of purchase for folks that like park hopping, so I assume it must hit all four parks at the same time.

What I really wonder here is, if it works like the original Fast Pass, would there be anything left to pick from at the 2nd park one visited?

Chip Chipperson

They have mentioned that the Genie+ is valid at multiple parks on the day of purchase for folks that like park hopping, so I assume it must hit all four parks at the same time.

What I really wonder here is, if it works like the original Fast Pass, would there be anything left to pick from at the 2nd park one visited?

In theory, there should be availability throughout the day since you can only make 1 selection at a time. Even with FP+ allowing 3 selections 60 or 30 days in advance and allowing additional selections once those 3 were used there were usually FastPasses available for many rides later in the day.

Patcheslee

The park reservations requirement limit flexibility. I was at Uni for 6 days, every day attempting to get a Hagrids VL, didn't get one until the 5th day.

CntrlFlPete

In theory, there should be availability throughout the day since you can only make 1 selection at a time. Even with FP+ allowing 3 selections 60 or 30 days in advance and allowing additional selections once those 3 were used there were usually FastPasses available for many rides later in the day.

Thanks, We paused our Disney visits for all of the FP+ life span but we certainly recall the FP days of the rope drop mad dash to TSMM, EPCOT had TT and Soaring which would run at of FP at some point. I realize they added capacity to TSMM and soaring since then so it could work out ok for folks.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the IAS isn't going to be as big of a thing as they think. I could see them making a decision in 6 months time where they have Genie+ and then Genie premium (say, for $30) where premium gives you access to the other attractions as part of Genie+. They could even limit those to one per day - but I think having it as part of a package will be more paletable to most than the perception of "paying for one ride".

flynnibus

Premium Member
I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the IAS isn't going to be as big of a thing as they think. I could see them making a decision in 6 months time where they have Genie+ and then Genie premium (say, for $30) where premium gives you access to the other attractions as part of Genie+. They could even limit those to one per day - but I think having it as part of a package will be more paletable to most than the perception of "paying for one ride".

People will pay

It's the sunk cost fallacy. They are already there. They are facing what will be perceived as far worse consequences if they don't (no one likes the food prices, but they pay because going hungry is not an option).

People aren't going to sing praises about paying - but they will pay. What they face for not paying will override any distaste for paying.

GimpYancIent

People will pay

It's the sunk cost fallacy. They are already there. They are facing what will be perceived as far worse consequences if they don't (no one likes the food prices, but they pay because going hungry is not an option).

People aren't going to sing praises about paying - but they will pay. What they face for not paying will override any distaste for paying.
Some people will pay. Some will just walk away.

dmw

In the Parks
No
People will pay
Ray, people will pay, Ray.

They'll come to Disney World for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll walk through the turnstiles, not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at the attraction entrances as innocent as children, longing for the past.

"Of course you can ride," CMs will say. "It's only twenty dollars per person." They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it. For it is money they have and peace they lack.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been Disney costs money.

Ohhhhhhhh, people will pay, Ray. People will most definitely pay.

Disstevefan1

They said that about $5 starbucks coffee too…
And just like Starbucks, the Genie + and pay per ride prices will go up over time and people will pay.

What choice do they have? They dropped over $100 to just get in, now what? Just walk around, maybe buy some food and souvenirs, or do those things AND MAYBE ride an attraction.

Actuall, that’s what it’s like now before G+ and LL, except after G+ and LL you will pay to get on an attraction.

BTW, I prefer Wawa..

GimpYancIent

And just like Starbucks, the Genie + and pay per ride prices will go up over time and people will pay.

What choice do they have? They dropped over $100 to just get in, now what? Just walk around, maybe buy some food and souvenirs, or do those things AND MAYBE ride an attraction.

Actuall, that’s what it’s like now before G+ and LL, except after G+ and LL you will pay to get on an attraction.

BTW, I prefer Wawa..
Wawa is good I stick to the old Dunkin w an occasional Micki D's. The amount of folk's willing to drop $100 + to get in is not what it was as people weigh the Is It Worth It or do I want to go somewhere else instead. The G + and LL just puts more weight on the It's Not Worth It side of the scale.

lentesta

Premium Member
@lentesta when do you guys anticipate going live with Genie + and IAP in the touring plans? Can’t wait to see you guys put your expertise into this.

We should support IAP like FastPass+ once IAP goes live: tell us your return time and we'll incorporate it into the plan. That's basic FP+ stuff that we've always supported.

For G+ we'll release support in two phases, because we don't yet know the exact rules for how G+ is going to work:
  • Once G+ goes live, if you get a return time, tell us the attraction and return time and we'll incorporate it into the plan. Again, that's basic FP+ stuff that we've always supported.

• Soon after that, tell us you've purchased G+ and we'll tell you which attraction reservations to get, and when, to minimize your waits in line over the course of the day.

That's what we did for Maxpass at Disneyland: look at the current distribution rates for return times, see what you want to ride, and figure out the best order to obtain ride reservations. We're targeting end of October for that, depending on how convoluted the rules are.

Disstevefan1

Wawa is good I stick to the old Dunkin w an occasional Micki D's. The amount of folk's willing to drop $100 + to get in is not what it was as people weigh the Is It Worth It or do I want to go somewhere else instead. The G + and LL just puts more weight on the It's Not Worth It side of the scale.
Agreed. Time will tell if the parks go from mobbed to just crowded.

We will just have to see what happens.

I have given up saying, “now they have gone too far” since the last five times I thought that I was wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom