News Jessica Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Pretty much what I had said before. Some people from more traditional/religious backgrounds will take offense to any depiction of someone as a sex object, even if that depiction is overall meant to be ironic.
Do religious groups take offense to depictions of someone (usually women) as sex objects or do they usually try to dictate women’s own body autonomy as a means of control?

Regardless of how one feels in this debate, is this the role of the Walt Disney Company to appease them? Certainly seems like an interesting “look” for a major company to hold in 2021.

If the qualification for understanding Jessica's character is a firm understanding of 1940's film-noir tropes and/or the changes in gender identity between the 1940s and the 1980s, then how do you communicate that to the audience? Do you have them fill out a "Waiver of Understanding" before joining the queue? Quiz them on several aspects of the film to be sure? Or if you are WDI just create some convoluted pre-show film that explains how Jessica is far more nuanced and empowered before you let the children on the spinning car ride?
This only becomes a problem is you appeal to the lowest common denominator of your audience and spoon feed them every story element in a semi-condensed book report fashion.

I’m operating on the assumption most of the GP will be too busy spinning their cabs to notice the ride details, but for those who take GENUINE OFFENSE, whether on presumed fundamentalist religious grounds, neo-feminist reasons, etc., I would think in an open society like ours with available broadband and free flowing media, the consumer should research it themselves.

I know you were being hyperbolic (as was I) but the onus shouldn’t be on Disney to have to provide a cliff notes “Filmography for Dummies” of each of their dark rides. Nor should a waiver be necessary.

Perhaps if we get to that point a general (Disney+ type) disclaimer plaque, but any sound civil society really should depend on vigilant consumers that can think/research for themselves. It’s troubling if we’re admitting that as a society that’s something we feel we’re incapable of doing.

Brer Panther

Funnily enough, some of the rumors on here were that Iger spearheaded getting rid of Splash Mountain because he was concerned it could be an issue in a future presidential campaign.
Isn't it kind of an established thing that Iger spearheaded getting rid of Splash Mountain, if for no other reason than so he could be "free" of Song of the South?
Of course it’s just a theme park.
Walt never wanted Disneyland to be "just" a theme park. That's what led to the creation of such attractions as the Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan's Flight. If he wanted it to be "just" a theme park he would've littered the park with unthemed flat rides and stalls selling corn dogs.
Her voice is too - not sure how they're going to get around that.
They could always rerecord her voice with some other actress who doesn't sound anything like Kathleen Turner.

Makes me wonder, actually... will they even bother getting Kathleen Turner back for this?
I'd prefer that Jessica go the way of Song of the South personally.
I'm honestly surprised that she hasn't.

But, yeah, I think I'd prefer them removing Jessica from the ride entirely than attempting to make her "more woke" or whatever the intention here is.
Does this mean that Roger Rabbit himself is going to be removed from the ride as they put the emphasis more on Jessica?
I still wouldn't be shocked if the new storyline had Roger being kidnapped and Jessica having to save her, if for no other reason than so Disney can get praise for having the strong female character having to save the male character that's never been done before right?
I don’t think this’ll lead to the closure of anything.
Much like how the Splash Mountain retheme won't lead to a slippery slope, you mean?

el_super

Do religious groups take offense to depictions of someone (usually women) as sex objects or do they usually try to dictate women’s own body autonomy as a means of control?

I mean really... both right? I definitely don't agree with it, but we do have to understand that people in this country still see overt sexualization as offensive. And the question isn't really one of whether they are right or wrong, but whether they should still find enjoyment at Disneyland. From a financial perspective, it's still in Disney's best interest to play to the middle of the road, even if where that middle is, has shifted over the years.

I’m operating on the assumption most of the GP will be too busy spinning their cabs to notice the ride details, but for those who take GENUINE OFFENSE, whether on presumed fundamentalist religious grounds, neo-feminist reasons, etc., I would think in an open society like ours with available broadband and free flowing media, the consumer should research it themselves.

Research is always welcomed, and people can argue and debate about a topic and have well reasoned points on both sides. Overall though the point is that Disney doesn't want Disneyland to be a debate ground.

el_super

The same sort of conservative traditions that would want the husband, not the wife, working? The same ones that would take issue with a woman wearing menswear?

Good point... I will have to reach out and ask them. But depending on their answer, it might prove the point that it would have been easier to just remove the characters altogether.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Research is always welcomed, and people can argue and debate about a topic and have well reasoned points on both sides. Overall though the point is that Disney doesn't want Disneyland to be a debate ground.
I would concur there.…But notice we’re debating on a topic now (Jessica Rabbit, WFRR) that frankly to my knowledge was not a “hot button” debate issue even on mean streets of Twitter as of 4 days ago.

At some point I’m not sure if the folks running Disney fully understand the difference between getting ahead of a potential PR issue (JC natives, parks ties to SoTS), or in this case jumping the shark and fomenting controversy around one that frankly didn’t exist. Because there is a distinction to be had.

el_super

At some point I’m not sure if the folks running Disney fully understand the difference between getting ahead of a potential PR issue (JC natives, parks ties to SoTS), or in this case jumping the shark and fomenting controversy around one that frankly didn’t exist. Because there is a distinction to be had.

It does seem strange, and there are certainly more concerning depictions that need to be addressed. I don't like to think that things don't happen for a reason though, and can easily imagine that this occurred because it coincided with a regularly scheduled maintenance effort, was elevated on the calendar due to MMRR prep work, or genuine concern about the movie being released in 4K in December.

It's always possible that the park received more guest complaints than social media would let on and was just made a higher priority, but we don't know what we don't know.

Rich T

Isn't it kind of an established thing that Iger spearheaded getting rid of Splash Mountain, if for no other reason than so he could be "free" of Song of the South?

Walt never wanted Disneyland to be "just" a theme park. That's what led to the creation of such attractions as the Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan's Flight. If he wanted it to be "just" a theme park he would've littered the park with unthemed flat rides and stalls selling corn dogs.

They could always rerecord her voice with some other actress who doesn't sound anything like Kathleen Turner.

Makes me wonder, actually... will they even bother getting Kathleen Turner back for this?

I'm honestly surprised that she hasn't.

But, yeah, I think I'd prefer them removing Jessica from the ride entirely than attempting to make her "more woke" or whatever the intention here is.

I still wouldn't be shocked if the new storyline had Roger being kidnapped and Jessica having to save her, if for no other reason than so Disney can get praise for having the strong female character having to save the male character that's never been done before right?

Much like how the Splash Mountain retheme won't lead to a slippery slope, you mean?
When I say it’s “just a theme park,” I meant that it’s not the fate of humanity we’re discussing here. It’s entertainment. I love the outstanding joy and fun Disneyland once provided for my family and me (and at a bargain price, too!) over the decades, but had it not existed we’d have had good times elsewhere together.

So, while it’s a bummer that the Bobs are turning once-wonderful parks into insultingly overpriced garbage, it’s not the end of planet Earth, and, like a lot of other classic Disney fans, my family and I will take our good memories with us as we vacation happily together anywhere BUT Disney.

mickEblu

When I say it’s “just a theme park,” I meant that it’s not the fate of humanity we’re discussing here. It’s entertainment. I love the outstanding joy and fun Disneyland once provided for my family and me (and at a bargain price, too!) over the decades, but had it not existed we’d have had good times elsewhere together.

So, while it’s a bummer that the Bobs are turning once-wonderful parks into insultingly overpriced garbage, it’s not the end of planet Earth, and, like a lot of other classic Disney fans, my family and I will take our good memories with us as we vacation happily together anywhere BUT Disney.

Well we can always draw the curtains and just watch some of the good ol Golden era classics and pretend like it’s the good old days. Maybe have the wife put on an apron and make me a nice roast or something too. It doesn’t even have to be that fancy. I’m good with a tuna sandwich and pickles. Thank God the inclusion committee can’t alter our physical media.

KBLovedDisney

I have never been to Disneyland, but heard the news on this.

Just...what?! Disney, what are you doin??

Next thing you know they are going to completely edit her in the cartoon live action movie or worse....come out with a 'reboot'.

Disney is putting rocks in our drinks. That's what!

1631829051007.jpeg

Sharon&Susan

Baby Herman's cigar is now gone:

Looks like they removed the entire arm! Hopefully it gets replaced with a new arm instead of becoming permanently a static show scene.

I wonder if the El Cheapo Cigar box is still there (out of frame next to the radio), it's glued on to the furniture so it's not going to be as easy of a removal...

Last edited:

britain

I am a conservative Christian of the Latter-day Saint variety, but I can only speak for myself, I can’t speak for any group.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - One of my favorites, released when I was a teenager. Landmark technological achievement and very clever creative achievement. One of Zemeckis’s best films.

But I grew up and I don’t show it to my kids. It’s too uncomfortable for me to watch it. The audio of the ‘patty cake’ scene pushes the boundaries of a “family” PG-13 film. Oh sure, you say, it turns out they really were just playing patty cake. Doesn’t change the mental territory the film already took you through.

The rest of Jessica’s scenes are all variations on the same sex theme. It never used to faze me, but I’m a dad now. I see everything differently and WFRR doesn’t meet my requirements.

Now I don’t want to see it censored (reference thrown out to the audience) or altered, or thrown into the vault. I think my personal choice to just not watch it anymore solves my problem sufficiently.

And I think the same goes for the ride. It’s been forever since I’ve been on it, but not because of Jessica. It just isn’t a priority. If I showed my kids all sorts of RR material, they’d be interested in the ride, but I don’t, so I guess indirectly it did have an effect.

But again, putting her in a modest trenchcoat doesn’t change her source material. That would be like making a flume ride without any racist material even though the source material is still problematic.

This change isn’t going to change things much as far as I’m concerned, and uh, I’m guessing people like me (people who object to Jessica Rabbit) are the ones they are making the change for…?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom