How does D.land's compensation for new CMs contrast with this?

Hitchens

Original Poster
I saw a sign at an In 'n' Out in LaVerne, CA today. (LaVerne is east of San Dimas and north of Pomona.)

Now Hiring
Starting at $17.25 per hour.
Earn up to $20.75
Flexible Scheduling
Dental & Vision Insurance
Paid Vacations
401(k) Plan
Free Meals

How does this contrast with what Disneyland's new CMs get?

TP2000

It appears to be a couple bucks higher than Disneyland, and with instant benefits.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think part-time CM's get full medical/dental/401K. Paid time off? Probably CM's earn a little, with more vacation accruing with seniority.

And I highly doubt CM's get free meals. They have to pay for a greasy lunch at dingy run down cafeterias, if the Internet is accurate.

TP2000

Food destined for the trash is off limits for CMs let alone free meals on breaks

I assumed the ride operators at Pirates of the Caribbean can't go down and get free food from the Blue Bayou kitchen on their lunch break.

But if you are a CM working in the kitchen at Tomorrowland Terrace, you don't get a free burger and fries at lunch?

socalifornian

I assumed the ride operators at Pirates of the Caribbean can't go down and get free food from the Blue Bayou kitchen on their lunch break.

But if you are a CM working in the kitchen at Tomorrowland Terrace, you don't get a free burger and fries at lunch?
Not at lunch, but if your cool manager is with you at closing you MIGHT be allowed to have whatever scraps are leftover. But only if they say so. Curious what it was like in Walts era

TP2000

Curious what it was like in Walts era

Apparently it was like this at Walt's commissary on his studio lot. He stood in line with the gang, and a chef with a big white hat carved up roast beef for you.

900w-600h_06_117-46.jpg

I dare anyone to find a photo of Bob Chapek, or Josh D'Amaro, or TDA President Du Jour (What's his name again? The guy who replaced that lady who wore skintight pants to work and only held the job for about 4 seconds but somehow found time to Instagram about it. You know the one. That guy.) standing in line at a 2021 CM cafeteria with the help, waiting to spend 10 bucks on chicken strips and limp fries.

I dare you. Those photos don't exist.

Walt's commissary wasn't free, but it was obviously heavily subsidized by the Studio. This is a menu from 1940. Adjusted for inflation...
The 40 cent Chef's Plate of Chicken A La King, rolls/butter, coffee or milk would be $7.50 today.
The 55 cent Cartoon Special of Green Salad, Prime Rib, Potatoes & Veggies, Pie or Ice Cream, and coffee or milk would be $10.25 today.
The 20 cent Roast Beef Sandwich would be $3.75 today

900w-600h_01_1940_Front.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Here's a picture of the Disneyland cafeteria in 1961. This is obviously a staged photo, with Snow White, an Indian Scout, a Spaceman, a short Hawaiian girl, and Goofy waiting happily in line for their Chicken Pot Pie, or whatever the special was on Wednesday's in '61.

And is just me, or might that stuntman from Frontierland and Peggy from Payroll have a Love Connection happening here?

disney-backstage-body.jpg

Something tells me it doesn't look like that today. Any CM's care to comment on its accuracy? 🤣

denyuntilcaught

It appears to be a couple bucks higher than Disneyland, and with instant benefits.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think part-time CM's get full medical/dental/401K. Paid time off? Probably CM's earn a little, with more vacation accruing with seniority.

And I highly doubt CM's get free meals. They have to pay for a greasy lunch at dingy run down cafeterias, if the Internet is accurate.
The CM cafeterias today do offer a greasy lunch, but the cafeterias are far from run down. They typically offer a lot of variety, are reasonably priced, and offer plenty of seating with televisions and whatnot. That I will say. :)

el_super

Free Meals

Yeah but it doesn't include Animal Style Fries (or at least it didn't before) so what's the point?

How does this contrast with what Disneyland's new CMs get?

Depends on how much you like going to Disneyland. CMs still get a sign in pass that allows them to bring their friends to Disneyland. Probably equal in value to a few hundred In-N-Out burgers. They still get a 20% discount on food and merchandise in the park and occasionally get free meals too (like on Disneyland's birthday, ironically from the Habit). Disneyland also provides a 401k for their cast and now offers free college tuition too.

Food jobs at Disneyland start at about $16/hour, and some jobs (like Security) are over the rate In n Out pays. From a quality of life perspective though, In-N-Out has fewer angry people yelling about costs and long lines, so maybe In-N-Out still wins overall.

Stevek

Yeah but it doesn't include Animal Style Fries (or at least it didn't before) so what's the point?

Depends on how much you like going to Disneyland. CMs still get a sign in pass that allows them to bring their friends to Disneyland. Probably equal in value to a few hundred In-N-Out burgers. They still get a 20% discount on food and merchandise in the park and occasionally get free meals too (like on Disneyland's birthday, ironically from the Habit). Disneyland also provides a 401k for their cast and now offers free college tuition too.

Food jobs at Disneyland start at about $16/hour, and some jobs (like Security) are over the rate In n Out pays. From a quality of life perspective though, In-N-Out has fewer angry people yelling about costs and long lines, so maybe In-N-Out still wins overall.
Yeah, this. There are quite a few extra perks that make a DL job a better deal IF those things are of value to you. I have known a few CMs that have zero desire to go to the parks though. I would probably pick DL (not foods) over INO though. Not sure I'd want to come home every night smelling like double doubles :D

el_super

I would probably pick DL (not foods) over INO though. Not sure I'd want to come home every night smelling like double doubles :D

I like In N Out but yeah... every day? How long before a cheeseburger for lunch turns into a cheeseburger, but hold the cheese.... and the burger?

macefamily

My daughter served in the college program as a lifeguard at the Contemporary Resort. I believe she was paid $12/hr and Disney "took their piece" by taking $100/wk from her pay for their crappy palmetto bug infested apartment that they stuffed five girls into. No perks. $2000/month for a cinderblock s-hole. There were a few girls who worked Disney food service, but they could never bring anything home. They basically lived on spaghetti and 20% discount Disney food which the only thing my daughter could afford were hamburgers. The first night she returned home after her semester it was a nice evening so I decided to grill. I made hamburgers and hot dogs. She broke down and cried because she said the only thing she could afford were Disney burgers which she ate at least three times a week and she couldn't eat another burger. 😲

Californian Elitist

My daughter served in the college program as a lifeguard at the Contemporary Resort. I believe she was paid $12/hr and Disney "took their piece" by taking $100/wk from her pay for their crappy palmetto bug infested apartment that they stuffed five girls into. No perks. $2000/month for a cinderblock s-hole. There were a few girls who worked Disney food service, but they could never bring anything home. They basically lived on spaghetti and 20% discount Disney food which the only thing my daughter could afford were hamburgers. The first night she returned home after her semester it was a nice evening so I decided to grill. I made hamburgers and hot dogs. She broke down and cried because she said the only thing she could afford were Disney burgers which she ate at least three times a week and she couldn't eat another burger. 😲
Sounds like my and my roommate’s experiences for DCP, only we ate a lot of boxed rice and not spaghetti. I remember eating mashed potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for an entire week once. One of my other roommates was simply having peanut butter. We’d only have maybe $50-75 to last one week after each paycheck. I called my mom many times for assistance because I was hungry and couldn’t afford to feed myself for the entire week. Pretty sure I was paid less than that when I did the DCP.

Paid pennies and treated like crap? No, thanks. Never, ever again.

Vegas Disney Fan

Sounds like my and my roommate’s experiences for DCP, only we ate a lot of boxed rice and not spaghetti. I remember eating mashed potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for an entire week once. One of my other roommates was simply having peanut butter. We’d only have maybe $50-75 to last one week after each paycheck. I called my mom many times for assistance because I was hungry and couldn’t afford to feed myself for the entire week. Pretty sure I was paid less than that when I did the DCP.
Sounds like a true college experience. I had a hotpot in my dorm room and made soup, Mac n cheese, or anything else that was cheap and could be made quickly with some heat and basic ingredients between going to classes and going to work. Weekend trips to do laundry and raid my parents pantry (because I couldn’t afford the laundromat or grocery shopping) were fairly regular occurrences also. The joys of being a broke college student.

As to the original question employees may make more at In n out but (depending on their position) its probably not as enjoyable, in my youth I worked at many restaurants and also worked summers at Lagoon (amusement park in Utah) and being outdoors in the fresh air, operating rides, while interacting with guests was worth much more than money. If you’re in a kitchen either way you may as well make the money but you can’t really compare it to other positions. Lots of mundane jobs at Disney but lots of fun ones also.

Californian Elitist

Sounds like a true college experience. I had a hotpot in my dorm room and made soup, Mac n cheese, or anything else that was cheap and could be made quickly with some heat and basic ingredients between going to classes and going to work. Weekend trips to do laundry and raid my parents pantry (because I couldn’t afford the laundromat or grocery shopping) were fairly regular occurrences also. The joys of being a broke college student.
No, I’d argue it’s not the same at all.

CaptainAmerica

Dude what?

First of all, if you think Disney is running CP housing at a profit, you're wrong. That's subsidized housing, i.e.they charge less than it costs them to run the place.

Second of all, was your daughter unable to go to Publix to get a pound of turkey and a pound of American cheese for her lunches each week? Seems a heck of a lot cheaper than buying theme park cheeseburgers every day.

Third, palmetto bugs are not "an infestation." Doesn't matter if you live in a 3,000 square foot four bedroom house with a professional cleaning company, you're still going to get cockroaches. It's Florida.

CaptainAmerica

As to the original question employees may make more at In n out but (depending on their position) its probably not as enjoyable, in my youth I worked at many restaurants and also worked summers at Lagoon (amusement park in Utah) and being outdoors in the fresh air, operating rides, while interacting with guests was worth much more than money. If you’re in a kitchen either way you may as well make the money but you can’t really compare it to other positions. Lots of mundane jobs at Disney but lots of fun ones also.
Seriously, people are embarrassing themselves in this thread. I distinctly remember eating sauteed spinach with jar tomato sauce and cut up string cheese in college. Everyone is poor in college.

But I bet not of these precious abused CPs spent any of their paychecks on Not So Scary tickets or cheap alcohol or trivia night at Ale House or limited edition mouse ears. 🙄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom