Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

Sharon&Susan

If it's supposed to be a Toon Town production, then I think it gets a pass for using Comic Sans. As far as the format goes, that's indefensible if it is really appearing in the ride/queue.

That looks more like something you'd hang on a construction wall to draw intereat, not an actual product of Imagineering.
IMO, I just think Comics Sans is too recognizable as a modern font made for PC use in the 90's with a shoddy reputation. It really doesn't bring to mind the wacky cartoons made in the 40's and the 50's that this ride (and the movie is based on) are seeking to emulate.

Finding/making an alternative typeface that looks both cartoon-y and readable shouldn't be that hard for Disney, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if this entire project was rushed into creation after the Snow White/SF Gate scandal from earlier this year.

Californian Elitist

Wish this did a better job at looking like a vintage newspaper, the fonts look incredibly modern and look like they came preloaded on Word (Why Comic Sans for the body text?) and it's just lacking any details to sell it as such like how it's missing a header.

This image Disney did for the Parks Blogs a few years ago does a far better job at being a convincing enough fake newspaper:
View attachment 587248
Exactly. “The font is off,” is what I said to myself.

It’s the little things.

el_super

With all due respect, you've either never seen the film, or are purposefully being obtuse here. I'm guessing the latter.

Have you not seen it? I've seen it a few times. Even made a special trip to see it at the El Cap a couple years back. It's not as outwardly adult as Chinatown, but cut from the same cloth.

I get that Jessica is a complex character full of nuance... in the MOVIE, but just as with the Jungle Cruise, there is only so much explanation you can give during a ride to justify a character.

On the ride, Jessica was pretty one dimensional.

Animaniac93-98

I watched it a few months ago and was surprised at how 'adult' the film was.

That's what gave the movie its cross generational appeal in 1988, at a time when animation for most Americans was associated with Saturday morning kiddie junk with poor production values and blatant marketing.

Jessica's appearance and personality are references to cartoons and noir of the 1940s when the movie takes place. The ride having accurate character models and some mild suggestiveness is being true to the movie, though obviously Disney doesn't care about that.

Even if there is a problem with her outfit and kidnapping, inventing a new role for her and changing the plot of the ride is an overcorrection. They could have just changed her outfit and staging and left it at that.

When you pay a group of people to comb through every ride to make visible, marketable changes, they'll find something to justify their paycheque.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

It's absolutely fascinating to me that the women on this thread had detailed all the ways Jessica Rabbit has complexities, nuance and agency, and men on this thread are trying to say she has "no meaning." You're proving our point. 🤣😒😬
Not all the men here but I’ll cede your point… 😂

I think part of the “guilt” on the part of men comes from the fact that Jessica Rabbit is perceived a highly sexualized character, and there’s no denying that. That said putting that aside, the reasoning for this outward portrayal is very purposeful as it serves as social commentary on the objectification of women in the golden age of Hollywood (hence being “drawn this way”).

Her entire appearance serves as a “don’t judge a book by its cover” message of sorts where Jessica gets the last laugh in the end despite being framed playing paddycake herself.

When you pay a group of people to comb through every ride to make visible, marketable changes, they'll find something to justify their paycheque.

What concerns me most about this is there really seems to be a core misunderstanding of the character on Disney’s part.

If these committees are being formed to study this there should be a deeper discussion (and frankly one would hope even an honest intellectual debate to pressure test some assumptions) than a community college level media gender studies 101 course understanding of these issues and the nuances behind the reasons why the characters are portrayed as they are.

Animaniac93-98

What concerns me most about this is there really seems to be a core misunderstanding of the character on Disney’s part.

If these committees are being formed to study this there should be a deeper discussion (and frankly one would hope even an honest intellectual debate to pressure test some assumptions) than a community college level media gender studies 101 course understanding of these issues and the nuances behind the reasons why the characters are portrayed as they are.

I see it more as puritanical pearl-clutching more than anything else. Just like not having can can girls or the red head flashing her ankle.

Which is hilarious when you realize WDW used to have a giant neon sign of her to advertise their nightclubs, or how much both straight women and gay men like the character. It's a failure to not known the appeal of their own product.

Magenta Panther

This is NOT the Roger Rabbit sequel I was looking for.

I think the most offensive thing about The Robert Iger Company's wokeness is how simpleminded it is. "Hey, we revamped one redheaded AA in a ride in the name of female empowerment (Pirates of the Caribbean), let's do it again, hyuck hyuck!" Next they'll revamp the Pinocchio ride so that the Blue Fairy is the focus, or - even more woke - maybe they'll have Pinocchio wish to be a real GIRL. I wouldn't put it past them. I honest to god would not.

Magenta Panther

It's absolutely fascinating to me that the women on this thread had detailed all the ways Jessica Rabbit has complexities, nuance and agency, and men on this thread are trying to say she has "no meaning." You're proving our point. 🤣😒😬
Jessica turned out to be more than just a sex object, true. Her line defending her love for her husband - "He makes me laugh" - is gold. But trying to make her a main character in any venue is absurd. Her over-the-top sexuality is her main draw. Recasting her as a private eye (which usurps the role of Eddie Valiant, BTW, another sin) is not only bizarre, it's no fun. It's like casting Jayne Mansfield for the part of Ruth Bader Ginsberg. It kills her appeal, that of the slinky bad girl with a heart of gold. She doesn't need to be "empowered" - she's plenty powerful just the way she is. But a main character she should never be. She's most effective as a supporting character. JMHO.

Californian Elitist

It’s like when men tell women to cover up and it’s like no, I actually want to wear this because I like it. Lol go away.

TP2000

Most of these honestly make sense from a modern sensibilities standpoint (whether I agree with changing them or not), but what would be problematic in Alice or the castle diorama?

Alice In Wonderland = Animal Cruelty
Castle Diorama = Rape Culture

Or at least so they say in the local faculty lounge, stylish newspaper, and/or HR Inclusion Committee. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TP2000

BINGO! That's exactly what is happening here.

My real fear is what happens next. In Fantasyland. In Frontierland. In Adventureland. On Main Street USA. In New Orleans Square. Etc.

This HR Committe will need to justify their big salaries fiscal year after fiscal year.

No stone will be unturned, no fake accent on a robot parrot will be left untouched.

TP2000

Can't beleive this is real....and actually happening.
What the.....

Jessica, a private eye now....?

Wut....

😳

Makes no dang sense.

-

It doesn't make sense. The whole world seems topsy-turvy now.

If you had run this article as a satire piece in The Onion five years ago people would have laughed. But this is real. They actually mean what they say here. Jessica Rabbit as we knew her must be permanently erased and replaced by a new version, her naughty figure covered in a long shapeless trenchcoat and given an entirely new personality and purpose.

It just makes you think... Who the heck is running that place now?

Roger_the_pianist

Isn't it clear here that the issue was that Jessica was tied up and thrown in the trunk of a car? This was admitted to be problematic by the designers especially when viewed out of context. Also her pose here seems to conjure the image of the scene in the movie where a cab crashes and for a few frames it was rumored that she was animated with a peek up her skirt showing she didn't have on underwear.

I'm sure she will 🔥slay🔥 this detective look.

Count your blessings. Roger Rabbit could easily be removed from the park altogether. At the announcement of MMRR I figured it would replace Cartoon Spin. Updating the ride should be the much better alternative to fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom