Creations Shop opening this summer

Inspired Figment

Regarding Figment

Did you all know that Figment is *not* the EPCOT mascot? It's true!! Figment is thematically out of place in "Future World" (yes, I know of the mental gymnastics taken to justify that you can't build a world of tomorrow without a 'figment of imagination' -- you can't do it, either without math, and where's our Math Icon?).

Figment is out of place in "World Showcase." Figment is out of place in "a permanent World's Fair."

Figment is just one character from one thematically ill-fitting pavilion.

So, if one is incredulous that the mascot of a central shop isn't Figment, then one created in one's mind an imagined role for Figment that Figment never had.

Remember, one of our trusted insiders once said that one of the competing plans for an Imagination overhaul was to get rid of Figment altogether.

I also want to go on record that I'm not for getting rid of Figment. I just want people to realize this isn't FIGCOT. Especially since his current incarnation is an annoying git.
Not True, he was indeed marketed as a mascot for EPCOT back in the 80s & 90s.. and Infact, in a press release even for the ‘02-current version, it states that he was supposed to become EPCOT’s Mickey, in that he was EPCOT’s spokesperson.
And while you may have a point about the math part… that then means, there should’ve been an expansion ground to build a pavilion dedicated to Mathematics then… and considering they want a better balance of both park original ‘and’ IP characters. A Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land themed pavilion would’ve been a much better choice to go with compared to any of the others so far (the exception of Three Caballeros being in Mexico, considering the nature of that film.)..
And actually… the concept of an Imagination pavilion in Future World is ‘not’ far fetched at all. It’s ‘indeed’ an essential quality & subject we need to help make a better future. Hence why it’s a great world’s fair presentation also. It’s a ride dedicated to the subject of creativity. Keep in mind, the focus is not on the future/tomorrow on it’s own.. the entire section is dedicated to concepts that can help ‘create’ a better tomorrow.

And one last thing.. Figment’s role was never “imagined.” in the sense you’re referring to.. he was intentionally created for that pavilion and it’s purpose.. he was purposely cast & represented as a physical representation or example of a creation/ a figment of imagination come to life (using sparks of inspiration or elements combined to create something new or unique) if you will.. Dreamfinder’s to be exact, but an example and character (full of the childlike curiosity & wonderment to use & learn about all our creative abilities & possibilities) we could ‘all’ identify with.

The current ride had Figment (and his Friends, look up the “Friends of Figment” online protest group from the late 90s-early 2000s) portrayed as an “upside down thinking” nuisance to subtly mock at the fans complaining (rightfully I might add) about the ill-conceived Film IP revamp. A sad, sad story… and an absolute detriment to preserving the most essential & important part of what makes Disney, Disney.. along with it’s future survival… free-spirited creativity.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

EPCOT Light & Color Collection​

Click through for a look at the new merchandise range

Creations-Shop_Full_44122.jpg

VJ

Can they not ban these scalpers. Most are probably AP holders anyway and surely they would be able to track it from the discount used?
they can, they just don't want to because scalpers provide a source of consistent income (and a lot of it) and raise the sales numbers for each individual store

like it or not but disney is welcoming the scalpers with open arms while trying to pretend that they're against them

markham

EPCOT Light & Color Collection​

Click through for a look at the new merchandise range
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of inclusive body types and abilities in these mannequins tbh. Especially with all of the talk of inclusivity from TWDC lately.

It's not very contemporary or forward-looking to have exclusively sample size mannequins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom