Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

James J

In the Parks
No
Just an update from this side of the pond, where cases seem to be falling again after a period of increase. Hospitalisations look like they may be about to start coming down too:

1631719241387.png

The drop in cases where I live is even steeper, with a 70% decrease over the last 7 days so it looks like the younger population being able to get vaccinated (and indeed double vaccinated) is starting to show in the results. I really hope it continues to go down this time as the colder months approach.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some play in China and are worshipped. Linsanity paid more and more lucrative in China/CBA but Lin decided to gamble and go back to the NBA, Marbury went to China/ CBA after the NBA and he is King Marbury over there.
Some of these guys won’t play in Portland or Oklahoma City because they’d be too far from the Hollywood scene or the extended Kardashian family. Playing in China or Europe is a means to an end for guys who have no option in the NBA but it’s certainly not a desirable option for most players. I have no idea if the 15% are stars or just role players but most probably wouldn’t want to go overseas. By the way China has some pretty stringent covid restrictions and so do pastas of Europe so those may not be favorable options either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hadn't thought about a city rule knocking out players on the other team. But, that's an interesting concept that could play out with local regulations. If a city government develops a last minute regulation and knocks out the opponent team, while also betting on the game, what would we call that? 🤔

I was just thinking about the protocols around when someone tests positive. Presumably, if a team has a player (or staff) test positive, there are impacts to that player, any close contact that's unvaccinated, and possibly some lesser impact to vaccinated close contacts. I doubt they just let the positive player and unvaccinated contacts play normally. We can think of it similar to a player being injured and missing games. Only, the chance of "injury" is much larger and likely to impact more than just one player. Something like a team bus getting in an accident that prevents half the team from playing in a few games. Except, the risk of positive COVID test with unvaccinated players (and staff) is much larger than the bus accident injuring the team.

That's what makes it a competitive disadvantage. Carrying unvaccinated players/staff means if they're not really careful, any of the routine testing has the possibility of tanking a few games. In a close season, that could be enough to knock a team out of contention.
Right now in NYC you have to be vaccinated to enter the arena and that includes Knicks and Nets players. There is an exemption carved out for visiting players that allows them in even if unvaccinated. I believe that’s coming from the league and not the teams.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I posted this in the return to normalcy tracker but it may be relevant here as well:

I did some digging. Per the CDC website, Orange Co Fl has a rolling positivity rate of 12.54%, with a last weekly decrease of .88%. They define levels of transmission like this:

0-5% is Low
5.1-7.99% - Moderate
8-9.99% - Substantial
10% and higher - High

IF Disney goes by this to remove indoor masks I think they'll want to get it to the Moderate stage. At the current rate the % is falling that'd be in about 6-8 weeks or so IF it continues to drop at that same .88% rate or so.

Novemberish the levels SHOULD be low enough for Disney to relax the indoor masks. Whether they do it or not is anybody's guess.
My gut says if percent positive in OC plays into it the percent target will be below 5%. That was the metric the county set to get rid of indoor masks initially so it will likely be the same this time around. I think that percent positive can drop faster than 6-8 weeks. It’s an exponential process to some extent. If community spread is really dropping (which we think it is) then the speed of decline should accelerate until it reaches a level below 5% and then it will level off.

drizgirl

Plenty of people with COVID on ventilators do get off them so that is not true, at least not to the point where "it doesn't matter."

Part of the problem now, in fact, is that younger people, who are inherently stronger, are getting on ventilators, and staying on them longer precisely because they are stronger, before either dying or getting successfully weaned off.
They also have improved treatment protocols.

Disney Analyst

Seeing the numbers is sobering. 1 in 500 Americans have died from Covid. Imagine you are at a concert, and it has 60,000 in attendance.

That means 120 of those people are now dead.

Imagine how many would feel about those deaths had they all dropped dead suddenly at the concert, or an attack had taken place?

Ayla

Some of these guys won’t play in Portland or Oklahoma City because they’d be too far from the Hollywood scene or the extended Kardashian family. Playing in China or Europe is a means to an end for guys who have no option in the NBA but it’s certainly not a desirable option for most players. I have no idea if the 15% are stars or just role players but most probably wouldn’t want to go overseas. By the way China has some pretty stringent covid restrictions and so do pastas of Europe so those may not be favorable options either.
I could go for some pastas of Europe about now. 😉 :)

FDA Data is showing booster shots probably won't be necessary for most folk.

Early August UF projections are very close to on point to how Florida is doing now also. No labor day rise seen.

Also includes the first weekend of college football. Hopefully we continue decreasing cases.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
1 in 500 Americans have died of something that was going to “disappear” last spring. And people wonder why I no longer care whether someone feels offended or hurt when asked to get the vaccine, mask up, etc. COVID could become the number one cause of death in this country and I’d still have to be “respectful” of those who continue to fill the hospitals out of their own ignorance. Nope.

Lilofan

If you don't get vaccinated you are the scum of the earth and should lose your job, your loved ones, and be outcast from society never to be heard from again.

If you do get vaccinated you are the savior of the human race and will be welcomed in the kingdom of heaven by God himself.
Lose your job - private company and their rules, don't comply then face the music or get vaccinated and keep your job.
Note to anti vax , look in the mirror - My freedom ends when I endanger your health.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
If you don't get vaccinated you are the scum of the earth and should lose your job, your loved ones, and be outcast from society never to be heard from again.

If you do get vaccinated you are the savior of the human race and will be welcomed in the kingdom of heaven by God himself.

And people are surprised at where we are. To quote a former member… :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida on Wednesday reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 10,723 more COVID-19 cases and three deaths, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data."

"In the last seven days, on average, the state has added 326 deaths and 12,192 cases to the daily cumulative total, according to Herald calculations of CDC data."

"According to Herald calculations of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Wednesday report, there were 10,539 COVID-19 patients reported from 228 Florida hospitals.

That’s 440 fewer patients than Tuesday’s report from 228 hospitals. In Tuesday’s report, COVID-19 patients take up about 19% of all inpatient hospital beds compared to about 20% in the previous day’s reporting hospitals.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 2,575 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 98 from the previous day’s report, Herald analyses show. That represents about 38% of the ICU hospital beds at the 228 hospitals reporting data, compared to about 40% the previous day."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Florida on Wednesday reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 10,723 more COVID-19 cases and three deaths, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data."

"In the last seven days, on average, the state has added 326 deaths and 12,192 cases to the daily cumulative total, according to Herald calculations of CDC data."

"According to Herald calculations of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Wednesday report, there were 10,539 COVID-19 patients reported from 228 Florida hospitals.

That’s 440 fewer patients than Tuesday’s report from 228 hospitals. In Tuesday’s report, COVID-19 patients take up about 19% of all inpatient hospital beds compared to about 20% in the previous day’s reporting hospitals.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 2,575 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 98 from the previous day’s report, Herald analyses show. That represents about 38% of the ICU hospital beds at the 228 hospitals reporting data, compared to about 40% the previous day."

Hmmmm…

i just seem to remember my states quarantine/travel restriction required that Florida’s average be under 2,100 per day this time last year …the lowest it got to was about 2,300 in October

so I guess things aren’t much better in that regard?

Patcheslee

Unfortunately our local haunt has had to pull the plug on a part of their plans this year. Pre-covid it had an option to opt into scareactors contact no additional charge. They dropped this last year. This year the plan was to reintroduce it but would have to provide proof of vaccination. With Delta still surging and apparently emails they've received requiring vaccination for contact allowed- they've once again pulled the plug and will do the normal no contact for anyone. It's recommended 13+, so it's not like they were targeting an age group that can't receive the vaccine. And more is this is a charity haunt all staffed with volunteers, and money raised goes to the community including police/EMS having portable AEDs, overdose kits, etc...yet people treat them like trash for trying to keep everyone safe and balance demand.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Hmmmm…

i just seem to remember my states quarantine/travel restriction required that Florida’s average be under 2,100 per day this time last year …the lowest it got to was about 2,300 in October

so I guess things aren’t much better in that regard?
Things are fine. Better than ever! I imagine the next few months aren’t going to have nearly the number of guests Disney was counting on. I’m hearing (from very special people) that occupancy continues to dwindle. DVC, however, is where it’s at.

Of course, the narrative online is that COVID fears have nothing to do with numbers. Everyone’s just cancelling their trips because Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise and outrageous pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom